Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 13, 2008 12:35 PM

Dec 2007
I have never ever ever spent on anime :P
Jan 13, 2008 7:45 PM

Jul 2006
Hmm, I guess it depends on the month, and if I'm saving for anything. I pretty much only buy manga, so my budget is dependent on what new releases are out when I have cash. but now I'm trying to raise money for a summer trip, so my manga funds are down to about $20-$40 per month
Jan 13, 2008 7:49 PM

Nov 2007
selective_yellow said:
I am poor.

I spend 50-150 on manga a month.

+random other things sometimes xD

You're not poor SY =(

If I really could (meaning if I had the money), I could see myself spending around 40-50 dollars a month. However as of now I'm dirt poor, so my budget is 0...
Jan 13, 2008 7:52 PM

Jul 2007
hm... only anime related stuff i've spent my money on so far is... pokemon merchandise? and that was years ago...

i dont usually spend money on anime, i print my own posters and i make my own calendars... manga and anime from sub and translating groups... what else... oyea, i need figures... wow, so thats what i was missing
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 13, 2008 8:09 PM

Nov 2007
oh if it's pokemon and yugioh merchandise when i was a kid probably spent 300+ dollars on that shit X_X
Jan 13, 2008 8:12 PM

Aug 2007
Xjellocross said:
oh if it's pokemon and yugioh merchandise when i was a kid probably spent 300+ dollars on that shit X_X

Was never into Yugioh, but I was literally obsessed with Pokemon. Whenever I got 5 bucks from something they would go straight to a pack of cards (I collected only Japanese cards back then as they had some of the newer stuff, though I was like 6 and I couldn't read it.)
Jan 13, 2008 8:13 PM

Jul 2007
spending like $100 a year.

im POOR.

Jan 13, 2008 8:46 PM

Jan 2008
~$6-7/month for ***.com (for DD)
Jan 14, 2008 5:07 PM
Sep 2006
Karura said:
Xjellocross said:

Was never into Yugioh, but I was literally obsessed with Pokemon. Whenever I got 5 bucks from something they would go straight to a pack of cards (I collected only Japanese cards back then as they had some of the newer stuff, though I was like 6 and I couldn't read it.)

oo totally forgot about those days.. damn! i must've spent atleast 400$ just on pokemon then another 100$ on yugioh.. funny thing is I still have all the cards lol.. might be worth something 40 years from now =)
Jan 14, 2008 7:21 PM
Jan 2008
I would like to have a place here to buy anime related things ;[
I would probably spend up to $30 a month ._.

I download animes and mangas.
The only thing I bought was a Kon plushie when I went to Spain ;[
._.
Jan 14, 2008 8:34 PM

Nov 2007
Fara7 said:

Why are all people who pirate anime so proud of it? Honestly. That isn't a rhetorical question. Why do you take pride in not helping out an industry you claim to be a fan of?

Also known as Monster in a box, but I hate that handle...and it doesn't fit here.
Jan 14, 2008 10:55 PM

Nov 2007
Who says we're proud of it? I for one, just can't afford to buy DVDs. It also doesn't help that I have way more respect for fansubbers than licensing companies.
Jan 14, 2008 11:11 PM

Jan 2008
$0 for anime
too much for manga...it can get up to $200/month if i have the money -_-*
Jan 15, 2008 5:23 AM
Nov 2007
Xjellocross said:
Who says we're proud of it? I for one, just can't afford to buy DVDs. It also doesn't help that I have way more respect for fansubbers than licensing companies.

To be fair when I was reading through this thread I got the exact same impression that the people who don't spend money on it, don't care or seem boastful about it. Couple of people saying they are students which personally I don't mind so much, I was one for long enough and started buying once I got a full time job out of college.

And why do you respect fansubbers more than licensing companies? I not saying there arent problems with the way anime is released outside of Japan but the problems arent all with the licensing companies. From what I hear the Japanese comapanies tend to make unreasonable demands at times as well. The licensing companies have to make money or there is no point doing dvd releases and thats not something I am willing to lose. Yeah fansubbing takes some effort but its basically some guys hobby, they dont have any salaries to pay or any profits to make, no one they have to be responsible to. If they folded in the morning you would just grab the next fansubber down the list who was doing he show you were into. Dont get me wrong Im not saying I dont respect fansubs, its where I find most of the shows I watch and at the moment they are providing a service which the anime industry has not being able to figure out (along with the music/movie and other industries), but to put them on a pedestal above licensing companies is a bit ridiculus.
Jan 16, 2008 6:21 AM

Aug 2007
i think the most i spent was $700 in one day, when i was first starting my collection after i got out of high school and had a bunch of money that i never spent. now i cant find anime that i want on dvd in stores around where i live anymore. but id say maybe $200 a month, if i could find some.
ellowelJan 16, 2008 6:31 AM
Jan 16, 2008 10:34 AM

Jun 2007
Well "we" fansubbers, me anyway, I only torrent all the shows that are not licensed at any time, I don't download shows that are licensed over here (aside from One Piece, Naruto, Bleach etc...the big ones) I dro-pped Death Note when I heard it was as well as Gurren Lagann, and will pick it up all the way through and finish it over here, I started my thing in 04, no job, no allowence, no nice parents, and only could torrent things at my cousins, so I did, and I do A LOT, every show every season I gotta try and grab all of it, when oneis grabbed in thhe middle of my truck through it, I stop, and now I have job and am currently running myself in the hole with anime purchases, I mean I've had a job for 4 months, 1000 bucks on anime so far with my money, and not to mention any Christmas/Birthday money I get from whoever, so any fansub (can be) just someone who can't buy anime or watch it on TV and so we fansub, but I do both and will forever.
Jan 16, 2008 1:33 PM

Nov 2007
I think you people might've misunderstood me a little. I have no issues with fansubbing, and if you can't afford to buy anime that's totally understandable too. But in topics like this I see an awful lot of posts like the one I quoted. People saying they've never spent a penny on anime, and following it up with an emote that implies that they're happy with their decision to not help out the industry.

It bugs me, but then again what doesn't.

Also known as Monster in a box, but I hate that handle...and it doesn't fit here.
Jan 16, 2008 1:41 PM

Nov 2007
My anime budget is pretty much whats left over after Books/Videogames/going out/food.

Id say its ranges from 70-120$ a month. (I usually buy a complete collection rather than individual dvds.)

I probably only pay for a bout 5-10% of the anime I watch.
RolexJan 16, 2008 2:08 PM
Jan 16, 2008 4:42 PM

Oct 2007
iwatch2muchanime said:
Well "we" fansubbers, me anyway, I only torrent all the shows that are not licensed at any time, I don't download shows that are licensed over here (aside from One Piece, Naruto, Bleach etc...the big ones) I dro-pped Death Note when I heard it was as well as Gurren Lagann, and will pick it up all the way through and finish it over here, I started my thing in 04, no job, no allowence, no nice parents, and only could torrent things at my cousins, so I did, and I do A LOT, every show every season I gotta try and grab all of it, when oneis grabbed in thhe middle of my truck through it, I stop, and now I have job and am currently running myself in the hole with anime purchases, I mean I've had a job for 4 months, 1000 bucks on anime so far with my money, and not to mention any Christmas/Birthday money I get from whoever, so any fansub (can be) just someone who can't buy anime or watch it on TV and so we fansub, but I do both and will forever.

That's probably the longest run on sentence I've ever seen, lol. :)

Anyways, I spend maybe $40 a month on manga and anime purchases. I rarely buy disks separately; mostly boxsets or single disks if it's a movie. I actually spend more money on manga so my budget really varies from month to month. I try to make to Borders once a month at least.
Jan 16, 2008 11:37 PM

Oct 2007
Nothing... I watch online...sometimes i do downloads...
And I never bought a manga...

Jan 17, 2008 4:14 AM

Dec 2007
It depends on what I want to buy.

Usually if I get a box set, which are like $100, I can get maybe one each week.

And if it's just a single DVD, I can just get that whenever.

So technically, I don't have a limit, my sister buys all my stuff, and since she knows how much I like anime, she doesn't really mind.
Jan 17, 2008 7:19 AM

Nov 2007
I tend to limit myself when it comes to anime because I find that I can get more for my money by purchasing manga and merchandise. I can usually buy two or three graphic novels for the price of one DVD, though, I generally prefer manga to anime anyways unless it's an anime I especially enjoy.
Jan 17, 2008 7:22 AM
Jul 2018
I just spent $133 for the last few Gundam Seed Destiny DVDs and Neon Genesis Evangelion set. :3
Jan 17, 2008 7:59 AM

Jan 2008
$0

._.
Jan 17, 2008 9:10 AM

Jul 2007
Back in my high school days I'd drop roughly $40 - $200 every other two weeks on anime (my budget back then if you will, only thing I really needed to worry about was paying my car payment and my cell phone bill).

That decreased to roughly $40 - $100 every month or so when I first started college (only bought when I felt I could afford it). Note: both of these were when I was still living with my parents.

Right now I don't have an anime budget. Just moved three months ago to start attending a new college, I'm currently unemployed because apparently jobs are hard to find around here, and I'm living off of very little money as it is. If I could afford it I would buy more anime but as of now I'm relying downloading and streaming anime to get my anime fix.
Jan 17, 2008 1:24 PM

Jan 2008
It depends on the month or if there are any online sales....about the cost of one DVD or complete serise is all I allow myself.

Jan 17, 2008 9:19 PM

Nov 2007
While I don't really have a budget, my spending funds aren't particularly high either, so I have to use my own judgment and spend carefully.

I usually only spend on anime/manga around 3-4 times a year (at cons or mini-cons), which is when I buy in bulk, due to USA cover pricing (or cheaper) and tax evasion. XD
Jan 17, 2008 9:50 PM

Jan 2008
I only buy anime or manga if I'm going to reread it more than once (pretty art/awesome story=$spent). If I like the music in a movie I usually try to get the CD (if it's less than $20 or 30). I buy annually, if at all (at a used bookstore, amazon or something), usually I don't buy anime or manga, I mooch off a friends collection or something.
Jan 18, 2008 12:21 AM

Jul 2007
Devdan said:
Fara7 said:

Why are all people who pirate anime so proud of it? Honestly. That isn't a rhetorical question. Why do you take pride in not helping out an industry you claim to be a fan of?

Personally, I'm not "proud" of pirating anime. It's just what I do. Why? Well, yes, I am an anime fan, but there's a distinction you didn't make... I'm not a fan of the American anime industry. I don't like their product, or their version of the product, so I don't buy it. If by downloading fansubs I could somehow show support to the Japanese industry financially, I would.
Jan 18, 2008 2:08 AM

Jan 2008
url_elf said:
Devdan said:
Fara7 said:

Personally, I'm not "proud" of pirating anime. It's just what I do. Why? Well, yes, I am an anime fan, but there's a distinction you didn't make... I'm not a fan of the American anime industry. I don't like their product, or their version of the product, so I don't buy it. If by downloading fansubs I could somehow show support to the Japanese industry financially, I would.

You could actually send money to the producers directly.
Jan 18, 2008 9:22 AM

Jul 2007
Last year I bought:
Paranoid Agent 1-2
Black Lagoon vol.1
Ninja Scroll 1-2
Appleseed (3D :S)

So it's like 6 dvd's per year. I dunno, I buy when I feel like it and have enough GOLDSS.
Jan 18, 2008 3:58 PM

Nov 2007
url_elf said:
Devdan said:
Fara7 said:

So you're one of the many idiot sub elitists on this site. Ok.

Aug 25, 2022 1:56 PM

May 2022
(totally normal reply)

as long as its Kiniro Mosaic related my budget has no limit
KINIRO MOSAIC FOREVER
Aug 25, 2022 2:57 PM

Mar 2020
The only anime related stuff I own are my yugioh cards and a few manga. I don't like to spend much money on that stuff since I can watch and read everything for free.
💀😭😂🙏
Aug 25, 2022 3:12 PM

Oct 2014
Idk monthly honestly, when I was into it around a couple hundred a month but untilnow I spent thousands.
Aug 25, 2022 4:33 PM
Jul 2018
I spend ca. 80 € per year for my Crunchyroll abonnoment and sometimes buy manga and dvds. A few times a year I buy merch too. So I guess ca. 350 € per year realistically.
... If you count cosplay too. I do ca. one new cosplay a year, but that isn't automatically from anime or manga.

That's not including tickets for conventions. These aren't really only anime and manga conventions. I sometimes go to the comic con too or stuff, since they also include western media and videogames as much as a dnd table etc. in general.
removed-userAug 25, 2022 4:36 PM
Aug 25, 2022 4:59 PM

Oct 2018
80% Animation
15% OST
3% script
2% directing
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Aug 25, 2022 5:31 PM

Dec 2015
Rightstuff bud, rightstuff, it's the best place, especially summer and winter sell.
I'm not really into collecting DvD's and Blueray, but I have a few, of my favorite shows.
And that would be thanks to rightstuff, even if i need to pay shipping, tax for to import the package.
When it's sell, it's worth it, as they sell out it for a good price, you can say no to.

The thing that cost me a lot is figurens, especially as I'm into resin statues.
My favorite character, Raikou from FGO, has a new resin statue, it cost 1k USD + 400 USD + shipping.

That's a lot of money, a loooot of money.

But my money income is not the best right now, so i can't spend money as much as i did before hand.

But i would say i have no budget right now, i try to save a bit in case of a new figuren of my favorite cast gets released.

Aug 25, 2022 6:09 PM

Mar 2018
My money usually goes in lewd images of Yaoi Incest / Yaoi Shota and maybe some other type of content. I can spent from 25$ dollars at month maximum, but most of the time just spent less than 10 dollars and then there are periods where I don't want to buy anything. Most go in savings at the moment.
Aug 26, 2022 1:25 PM

Jul 2015
My anime budget is $0.00 because I stream everything I watch for free, like series on Tubi, etc.
Aug 26, 2022 1:49 PM

Sep 2008
Anywhere from $200 to $300 a month for anime purchases.
Aug 26, 2022 1:53 PM

Jul 2019
Don't know. I just buy manga. Like I did drop around 300 dollars on Golden Kamuy manga.
Aug 26, 2022 2:43 PM

May 2018
2007. This thread is older than half of the current MAL users. @D_D_DJ thank you for digging these things out lol.
Nah, I didn't spend a single penny. I am broke, I am a pirate, and moreover, I am Russian (Russians are banned from almost all platforms right now)
Nemo_NiemandAug 26, 2022 2:46 PM

Aug 26, 2022 3:03 PM

Jan 2021
Some dude really got bored af and went to the abyss of the forums to dig this thread out. Salute to my man @D_D_DJ

Anyway, it's been a decade. I wonder where these users are now. I've never spent on anime as a pirate, but I purchased almost a hundred dollars on the whole VE light novel.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Visual Novels — General Thread ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Apr 27

76 by lostsymphonies »»
16 seconds ago

Poll: » Death Parade or Parasyte?

AnimeLover1289 - 24 minutes ago

7 by Phosphophyllita »»
2 minutes ago

» Why do veteran weebs hate "casuals"?

Clovis - Yesterday

32 by H-A-M-M-Y »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Favorite Beater in anime

Catalano - Apr 27

8 by H-A-M-M-Y »»
8 minutes ago

» Best anime from Disney+?

Spunkert - 5 hours ago

21 by deg »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.