Forum Settings
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica: The Movie -Rebellion-
Available on Manga Store
New
Aug 6, 2014 7:22 AM

Jan 2014
As a student who has yet to study any thermodynamics, I dont quite understand the goal kyubey is trying to attain or what the hell entropy is... or why homura kept kyubey in her new world in the first place...

Can someone please clarify? That would be great. (Oh, and Law of the Cycles too since I only understood like 1/4 of that. I only recall it being the system of how Magical Girls are supposed to work.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 6, 2014 8:06 AM

Oct 2013
It is funny that a song from Muse (Unsustainable) sums up the second law of thermodynamics in a - not very technical, but understandable - way.

>>
All natural and technological processes proceed in such a way that the availability of the remaining energy decreases.
In all energy exchanges, if no energy enters or leaves an isolated system, the entropy of that system increases.
Energy continuously flows from being concentrated, to becoming dispersed, spread out, wasted and useless.
New energy cannot be created and high grade energy is being destroyed.

Entropy is a measure, which tells you how many states a certain 'system' can have. I'd like to think of it as 'disorder' (allthough, that is not entirely correct).
Assume you have a vase on your desk. The system we define is only this vase. It starts with a certain entropy. Now, if the vase is going to break, you'll have a lot of broken fragments. The number of states basically increased. This is a very simplistic attempt to explain the meaning. Please don't use it as a reference, but maybe it helps to get somewhat of an idea.

Now, if we transform Energy from some initial form to another, some of the energy is lost (Dissipation of Energy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissipation). If you switch on your light in your room, you are using electricity to produce light. However, some of the energy will change from electricity to heat (bulb gets hot) and cannot be used anymore.

Kyubey basically sais, that they are using the magical girls as a source of energy (to keep entropy from growing). So they are basically batteries.

I'm sorry, I can't recall what the Law of the Cycles is. It has been a while since I watched the movie.
slomoAug 6, 2014 8:18 AM
Aug 6, 2014 8:13 AM

Jun 2014
Kyubey's science is overly simplified,because entropy is hard to explain.
Basicly.the inubators want to delay the heat death of the Universe.
You should just read wikipedia article on heat death,because all I can do is copy-pasting what's written there.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_death_of_the_Universe

As for kyubey,we don't really much about that.Homura mentions that she needs the incubators to deal with all the curses,but how excatly is unclear.

Madoka is the Law of the Cycle.She takes the burden of all magical girls right before they would turn into witches and saves them from dispair.
That idea was expanded in Rebellion.We learn that Madoka also takes the girls with her,presumably to some kind of heaven.
Aug 6, 2014 10:13 AM
Sep 2011
This line from the wikipedia page for Entropy makes me laugh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropy#Cosmology

"Although entropy does increase in the model of an expanding universe, the maximum possible entropy rises much more rapidly, moving the universe further from the heat death with time, not closer."

If this is true, it just cracks me up because everything Kyubey did was pointless and he's not as smart as he thinks. But then again, fiction.
Aug 6, 2014 1:06 PM

Mar 2012
RLinksoul said:
This line from the wikipedia page for Entropy makes me laugh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropy#Cosmology

"Although entropy does increase in the model of an expanding universe, the maximum possible entropy rises much more rapidly, moving the universe further from the heat death with time, not closer."

If this is true, it just cracks me up because everything Kyubey did was pointless and he's not as smart as he thinks. But then again, fiction.

These are only theories, you will prob find plenty that will claim the opposite and I don't think anything has to be said about Wikipedia on reliable info.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Movie 3: Hangyaku no Monogatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dimasmw - Oct 27, 2013

1042 by Biisoo »»
Apr 17, 7:10 AM

» Madoka Magica Rebellion is a masterpiece ( 1 2 )

JezzaC - Jan 28, 2021

65 by HigherLvLThinker »»
Aug 16, 2023 7:00 AM

» State your opinion: Did Homura REALLY do nothing wrong?

StanSayakaMiki77 - Apr 17, 2023

19 by APolygons2 »»
Jul 18, 2023 5:23 PM

» Explaining the final twist

APolygons2 - Oct 19, 2022

45 by ScionOfCyan »»
Jan 30, 2023 7:28 PM

» Plot Holes? What exactly happened between.... (movie spoilers)

Rob7 - Sep 24, 2022

18 by APolygons2 »»
Oct 19, 2022 6:45 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.