Forum Settings
Forums

Pffft, stop pretending, you don't really like the taste of sushi.

New
Do you consider sushi one of your favorite foods?
Yes
44.4%
No
49.4%
I just like to make bets on who can eat more wasabi!
6.2%
775 votes
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (16) « First ... « 12 13 [14] 15 16 »
Oct 22, 2010 7:48 AM

Sep 2010
xXnagashiXx said:
sushi is good. but i'd usually prefer a japanese steak

Mmmm...I tried kobe beef last year, and I became addicted...

On another note, what about for any Asian Americans out there? Perhaps you like sushi better because it's "Asiany"? I love Japanese food, Vietnamese food, Thai food, etc., and I think that has a lot to do with my Korean background.
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker
Oct 22, 2010 12:14 PM

Sep 2010
Interestingly, I don't care for seafood, but I actually really enjoy Sushi.

Why?

Because Sushi doesn't have a strong seafood flavour and I'm not fussed about eating something raw.

I'm quite an adventurous eater; I used to be quite fussy but ended up missing out on Indian food as a result (now my favourite kind of food) and since then I've tried to eat just about everything.

I do like some seafood that isn't Sushi: Tuna, Anchovies, Mussels, Prawns, Sole...
Oct 22, 2010 12:21 PM

Jun 2008
Yeah, it's ok....
Oct 22, 2010 12:28 PM
Jul 2018
never tried it. would like to sometime though.

also, with your argument of it being plain... mushrooms are one of my favorite foods, and everyone doesn't get it because they say they don't really have much flavor. i can't really explain it, i know they're not one of the most flavorful foods, but i like them. so yeah, some people just like certain plain foods.
Oct 22, 2010 2:39 PM

Sep 2010
starshin3 said:

also, with your argument of it being plain... mushrooms are one of my favorite foods, and everyone doesn't get it because they say they don't really have much flavor. i can't really explain it, i know they're not one of the most flavorful foods, but i like them. so yeah, some people just like certain plain foods.

I wouldn't say mushrooms are plain... I'm not keen on them myself. Party for the texture, partly for the aftertaste.

But they often improve a recipe a lot; but too much and I really don't like them.
Oct 22, 2010 2:46 PM

Aug 2008
ive yet to have sushi. i dont really like seafood in general though
私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです
Oct 22, 2010 6:17 PM
Jun 2010
SilverLeaf123 said:
aniem fan =/= japanophile

THIS ^ , i dislike countries in asia, esp china. and from what i can c, anime/manga, food, and some video games r the only thing that make japan a bit better than china.

on another note, so i assume anime fans like farming as well? that is also a part of japanese culture u know....
Oct 22, 2010 6:39 PM

Oct 2008
I've tried sushi before ...
Didn't really care for the taste ...
Maybe I bought the wrong kind, I dunno.
Maybe its an acquired taste?
Maybe I should eat lots of sushi until I get used to it ...
Maybe I should stop saying maybe ...
Oct 22, 2010 6:43 PM

Apr 2010
I'll eat any seafood except sushi.

Oct 22, 2010 7:10 PM

Jun 2009
Benevean said:
starshin3 said:

I wouldn't say mushrooms are plain... I'm not keen on them myself. Party for the texture, partly for the aftertaste.

But they often improve a recipe a lot; but too much and I really don't like them.
I'd say mushrooms have a strong and very distinct flavor. Maybe my sense of taste is messed up a little, but mushrooms taste anything but plain to me.
Oct 23, 2010 3:53 AM

Oct 2010
I didn't like it when I first tried it and didn't touch it for a long time after but one day I decided to try some again and liked it, so I guess it depends on what type of sushi it is. I wouldn't consider it one of my favourite foods, but I like having some from time to time.
Oct 23, 2010 4:07 AM

Jul 2010
I never tried it....But I guess Im dont gonna like it =/ cus I hate fish xD

Oct 23, 2010 6:57 AM
Sep 2009
Hate sushi, don't understand why it's all the rage. I prefer salmon myself when it comes to seafood.
Oct 23, 2010 9:23 AM

Feb 2009
I hated sushi when I was small, seaweed in particular. Well, I've never tried it then. But one day I decided to see what it tastes like, I did and I began to love sushi, and still do.
Oct 23, 2010 2:58 PM

Apr 2010
we order it once ina while so i likes it but i only get certain kinds and i eat them all with spicy mayo :P
i would hit you ,but i dont wanna get any douchbag on my hands :P
Oct 23, 2010 5:58 PM

Sep 2010
i live in canada and i eat it like 1-2 a week and i have sake and green tea with it and i thinks it amazing.
Oct 23, 2010 6:24 PM

Aug 2009
I love sushi but if I eat too much I get a bad stomache.
Oct 23, 2010 11:20 PM

Sep 2010
It's okay.
I just think sushi can be hard to chew..
But I don't even like seafood.
I love other japanese food though.
Oct 25, 2010 2:28 PM
Dec 2007
For the most part, I like sushi. Whenever I go to the Japanese steakhouse that's near where I live, I'll always ask if I can get some sushi. My parents will occasionally bring home sushi and I'm generally the one that eats the most sushi out of anyone. There are a couple of types of sushi that I don't like, however, but I like most sushi.
Oct 25, 2010 2:55 PM

Jul 2008
Eww, I could never eat sushi. D;
[ ] Me and Yuusei; we's like peas and carrots~ [ ]
Oct 25, 2010 3:57 PM

Oct 2010
Meh I've barley ever tired sushi. But the few times I did it was alright. Not the food im use to but it was alright. For some reason sushi makes fish taste better cause im not really fond of fish.
Oct 25, 2010 4:47 PM

May 2010
I've only tried it once, but man was it disgusting. I can somewhat stand the taste of the raw fish, it's just the seaweed I can't stand. The texture, smell, and taste makes me want to puke.
(゚∀゚)
Oct 25, 2010 4:53 PM

Dec 2009
raw fish ... not my thing.

On the other hand my favorite food is couscous, now that's food!
Oct 25, 2010 5:12 PM

Jul 2010
I've tried it once and I don't like it. I hate fish.
Oct 25, 2010 5:54 PM

Aug 2010
I have never had Sushi, and I don't plan to anytime soon.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Oct 25, 2010 6:49 PM

May 2010
ha you guys got to be kidding! sushi sashimi are the best!
Oct 25, 2010 9:53 PM
Oct 2010
Sushi is amazing. Especially the homemade ones my mommy makes with eel in it. *drool* >/////<

But I'm Asian and used to eating fish and such so... o-o
Oct 26, 2010 2:01 AM

Jun 2010
I've eaten sushi 3 time before and I really like it.
Oct 26, 2010 2:04 AM

Oct 2010
I like sushi since I love fish, but I don't consider it one of my favorite foods. Having some sushi every once in a while is nice though.
Oct 27, 2010 7:02 PM

Sep 2010
What I'm writing here certainly doesn't apply to everyone (or even most), but I think it's funny how some want to consume all parts of Japanese culture - entertainment, language, and even traditions, customs and attitudes. However...food really shows a deep cultural divide, as attested by many who've posted that they can't stand sushi, although I'm willing to bet many of those people who LIKE to LIKE sushi.

I'll give two examples. When I was a growing up, I had a close friend who was white and lived near me. Once, when we were walking home, I offered him kimbap, which is rice wrapped in seaweed with various ingredients inside (not raw fish, though). He tried it, and immediately spit it out - it was disgusting to his taste buds. On the opposite end, my wife loves Korean food and many Asian foods, but generally doesn't like American or western foods; she was raised primarily eating just Korean food.

They say food is the way to a man's heart; maybe it's also a defining and dividing point of culture.
Oct 27, 2010 7:50 PM
Jan 2008
I dislike fish, sushi is terrible.
Oct 27, 2010 9:51 PM
May 2010
I love it. It has nothing to do with watching anime or having interest in Japan either. My dad is big into trying all kinds of food and I had some sushi when I was younger and started liking it from then on. I still have yet to try sashimi but I will get to that eventually. I don't feel right unless I eat it at least once every few weeks. It's never very expensive either because I go for lunch and most places are pretty cheap for lunch. Dinner time is when sushi is crazy expensive.

I'm a big seafood fan living in New Orleans but I've never really cared much for fish unless it's fried (catfish). But after eating just some regular and spicy tuna rolls I decided to order a grilled ahi tuna dish out at a restaurant. Now I'm more willing to try fish. So I guess you can say sushi has opened my eyes to other food which might be a rarity.
Oct 27, 2010 9:59 PM

Jun 2010
I love seafood, fish, shrimp, crab, squid and so on. But as far as sushi goes, im just medium on it, the whole raw thing is overhyped, not a bad flavor, more than anything its usually texture that gets to people.
Oct 27, 2010 10:06 PM

May 2008
Axilla said:
Hell, I've heard of a couple of people converting to Shinto.

Shinto is a great religion and appeals to me deeply.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Oct 27, 2010 10:24 PM

Oct 2007
I actually acquired a fondness for sushi before I even began to watch anime.

I think it really depends on where one goes to eat their sushi. I am very picky with where the sushi comes from, but I am open to many different flavors. I don't buy it at any stores, because it may not be as fresh as one is led to believe, and I don't just go to any random buffet and grab the sushi. I check out the reviews first.

I especially love the tempura roll, and salmon. I love spicy mayo sauce, and I also love eel in sushi. Everyone has their tastes. Some of my friends love the fish eggs, or just the sashimi.

I usually like to visit the local affordable sushi buffets that are known for their well-pleased customers.

Anyway, even if some people acquire a taste for sushi just because they started watching anime, there is nothing wrong with that. If anything it enhances our knowledge of a culture we all seem to be somewhat attracted to. :D

Oct 27, 2010 10:48 PM

May 2008
Oh no, we're fine. Thanks.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Oct 27, 2010 11:59 PM

Oct 2010
The only good thing about Shinto is that usually it's followers take it a lot more lightly than most of the other major religions.

PS I still can't believe some people don't like sushi.
http://www.accessj.com
The real deal on Japan.
News and information for visitors, ex-pats and prospective workers.
Oct 28, 2010 12:34 AM

Apr 2010
i like sushi with crabstick
Oct 28, 2010 12:42 AM

Jan 2008
Sushi outside of Japan is not worth it, both in taste and certainly in cost. Avoid Yo Sushi in London at all costs!
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Oct 28, 2010 7:39 AM

Nov 2009
Sushi

is

gross.

No offence to the Japanese. :)
curiouser and curiouser :)
Oct 28, 2010 6:31 PM

Sep 2010
I thought sushi was alright nothing special.Though my favorite was with crab and i loved a little wasabi.
Oct 28, 2010 7:06 PM

Sep 2009
I have had a profound love of most things seafood for years, and sushi happens to be on that list, yes. Though this is not because of its region of origin so much as it is because I grew up in a seafood-rich area of the world.

Though I will say, lobster takes far too much effort to dissect for it to be worth it. I'll eat it if it comes ready-to-eat, but this is somewhat uncommon.
~We're the last descendants
In the line of valiant soldiers
We're mistreated angels
We are the blackbird nation, we're the chosen ones
We're the last descendants
We're the tribe of unsung glory
We are the fallen angels
Well the time is right you shall be on my side...~
Oct 28, 2010 8:01 PM

Jul 2010
Sushi generally tastes nicer from a restraunt. Boxed sushi is vile, i guess that some types of sushi are nice and others are not, just like all food. I tried sushi because of anime and japan myself though, but i rarely eat it and its not the nicest of food.
Oct 29, 2010 2:04 AM

Oct 2010
Sushi is okay I guess, I've eaten those with crab-meat/cucumber fillings and they taste fine to me. Dont see anything wrong with the seaweed either. I've ate sushi even before I started being a "fan" of Anime, Manga & other Japanese things so I guess it's not influenced by them.
Oct 29, 2010 4:08 AM

May 2010
I didn't eat much sushi until a few years ago. Every would tell me sushi is so good, lets go get sushi, etc. I finally start eating more sushi and realize its ridiculously overrated. I do like seafood quite a bit (I don't eat much red meat) and I love rice, but somehow most sushi is just ok to me. When I get sushi I don't necessarily go to the most "authentic" places, but I pick places that have quality fresh fish. You just don't want to go to a place that doesn't have good fish.
Oct 29, 2010 4:42 AM

Feb 2010
I have never tried Sushi and i never will
Haters gonna hate
Nov 1, 2010 8:21 AM

Sep 2010
Mawiii said:
Haters gonna hate

Really strange seeing this line in regards to eating sushi...

Anyway, I had sushi two nights this past weekend (yay for special occassions!). I tried, for the first time, sea urchin sashimi, and I thought I'd share about it. It looks like pudding almost, but a little more solid - but still not quite fully formed. It's orange in color and is really mushy.

When I first tasted it, I was disgusted - gross texture and strange, unidentifiable flavor. But strangely enough, the goodness of it is in it's aftertaste. It tastes like...the ocean air. I could taste the salty, cool air from being on a Korean beach. Quite an experience trying this...
Nov 1, 2010 10:04 AM

May 2010
I really like the taste of sushi.
Nov 1, 2010 10:05 AM

Jun 2009
Sushi has been one of favs food ever.

Nov 1, 2010 5:07 PM

Jul 2009
The first time I tried sushi was at a really nice sushi restaurant. To me, it tasted amazing! But it was really expensive, so I don't eat sushi often. Only on special occasions.

I'm not short, you're just freakishly tall!!!! >_<
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (16) « First ... « 12 13 [14] 15 16 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.