Forum Settings
Forums

"Last, Lost, Lust for Four Forgotten Episodes" or Super Robots against authoritarianism

New
Aug 29, 5:53 PM

Apr 2024
To preface this, as Voltes V was originally airing in the Philippines, the dictator Ferdinand Marcos banned the show before the last four episodes aired, for what he claimed was "negative effects on children" but was commonly believed to be due to anti-authoritarian messaging. For this purpose, there is a generation of people in living memory who remember the declaration of Martial law as the time they didn't get to see the end of the show they loved as kids, and how that signaled a landfall of changes that would adversely impact the youth of the Philippines. Many years later, the artist Toym Imao Created this art piece:

Titled "Last, Lost, Lust for Four Forgotten Episodes", it depicts both literally and through a busy amount of symbolism, the effects of Marcos' reign, and is capped with the phrase "Nunquam rursis" or "Never again"

While it may be childish to think about missing out on the ending of a cartoon as an impact of martial law, I believe it's an important cornerstone of which to notice when a government is desperate to keep their power: when they become paranoid of critique, and ban show.

In similar circumstances, Grendizer became incredibly popular in the middle east, as it arrived in Lebanon during their civil war. While it was allowed to air basically uncensored, it became a point of comfort to many children caught in the ravages of war.
"Dreams are worth fighting for"
Backloggery | YouTube | Heatmap
Aug 30, 9:28 AM

Jan 2009
im a filipino and a 1990s kid but i never know this but ive seen voltes v many times here on local tv during the 1990s of course
Aug 30, 9:40 AM

Jun 2024
Well by Dad use to watch Voltes V back in 1978 or 1979 during Marcos era, he remember that time when Voltes V was almost finish but sudden is now different anime all robot anime turn into Shoujo anime like Candy Candy, LunLun, and Honey Honey, at least able to watch it he hate at first but he grown into it although, he prefer Lunlun than Candy Candy, and after that he moved to France in 1984 to study in high school and met my mom.

Sorry not related to topic.
Kirika_MadeleineAug 30, 9:48 AM
Aug 30, 11:16 AM
Jun 2021
Reply to deg
im a filipino and a 1990s kid but i never know this but ive seen voltes v many times here on local tv during the 1990s of course
@deg With every single day I'm more and more convinced Filipinos are bros.
>good taste in anime
>love best sport (basketball)
>trad and devoted to family
Hot Blood saves lives.
Aug 30, 11:20 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to TheMechaManiac
>good taste in anime
@TheMechaManiac not sure about trad since we are getting progressive too but ye we are family oriented considering poverty is too rampant here so families help each other to weather the storm
Aug 30, 12:02 PM
Apr 2024
Interesting, when I will get to watch Voltes V I'll keep it in mind
Aug 30, 12:19 PM

Apr 2011
That's an interesting story. Also that Voltes V tokusatsu show made in the Philippines looks super good.
Aug 30, 3:33 PM

Apr 2024
Reply to IKKIsama
That's an interesting story. Also that Voltes V tokusatsu show made in the Philippines looks super good.
@IKKIsama Oh yeah, it's called something like Voltes V: Legacy. I tried so hard to find some sort of english sub for it to no avail.
"Dreams are worth fighting for"
Backloggery | YouTube | Heatmap
5 hours ago

Jul 2022
Reply to TheMechaManiac
>good taste in anime
@TheMechaManiac Marcos banned Mazinger and Daimos as well, but surprisingly after he was overthrow Daimos and Voltes came back but not Mazinger and to this day Mazinger is only well known in Japan and South America.
4 hours ago

Jul 2022
Reply to Guilmon1
Interesting, when I will get to watch Voltes V I'll keep it in mind
@Guilmon1 If you planning on watching Voltes V please try out Combattler V and Daimos. Basically the Nagahama Trilogy with Combattler V laying the foundation for five men band combining Robot. Another one is Mirai Robot Daltanious some consider it as the fourth unofficial series of the trilogy not by Nagahama but influenced by his style.
4 hours ago

Feb 2016
Reply to SPTLayzner
@TheMechaManiac Marcos banned Mazinger and Daimos as well, but surprisingly after he was overthrow Daimos and Voltes came back but not Mazinger and to this day Mazinger is only well known in Japan and South America.
@SPTLayzner
Mazinger also found success in Spain.
その目だれの目?
3 hours ago

Jul 2022
Reply to Lucifrost
@SPTLayzner
Mazinger also found success in Spain.
@Lucifrost It aired in North America as Tranzor Z but hardly anyone remember it and force five as well.But the opposite for Golion and Dairugger XV without Voltron it will be another obscure 80s mecha.
2 hours ago

Feb 2016
Reply to SPTLayzner
@Lucifrost It aired in North America as Tranzor Z but hardly anyone remember it and force five as well.But the opposite for Golion and Dairugger XV without Voltron it will be another obscure 80s mecha.
@SPTLayzner
I have no idea what any of those are.
その目だれの目?
2 minutes ago

Apr 2011
Reply to SPTLayzner
@SPTLayzner Mazinger Z aired here in France but 10 years after Grendizer (Goldorak) which was a huge hit. It also aired in Italy a few years after Kotetsu Jeeg (Jeeg robot d'acciaio), Go Nagai's most popular series there.

More topics from this board

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9359 by anime-prime »»
18 minutes ago

» Serial Experiments Lain is better than your favorite anime ( 1 2 )

JoeChip - Aug 30

52 by Guilmon1 »»
33 minutes ago

» Anime You Didn't Think You'd Cry Over

Mualani - Yesterday

32 by Chuckiemuffin »»
36 minutes ago

Poll: » About AMV

RudeRedis - 11 hours ago

6 by SimplyBrazen »»
37 minutes ago

» Any men who like Yaoi?

Mattenan - Aug 30

25 by hypergoob »»
57 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.