Forum Settings
Forums
New
Yesterday, 7:48 AM

Nov 2019
Some stories are OK with 1 cour: Mob Psycho 100, Attack on Titan, One Punch Man. But some need to be ~24 episode long in order to tell a satisfying story. Can you imagine if Jujutsu Kaisen season 2 was about Kyoto Goodwill Event and Death Painting arcs? Or if one of endless My Hero Academia seasons was only about 1B class training? It would've been insane! Dandadan is one of the shows that would've had a fitting ending with 2 cours.

Of course, there can be split cours, but it still feels wrong, because there is a gap between releases. Jobless Reincarnation season 1 was only 3 episodes into an adventure and then says: "That's it, guys, wait for continuation in 3 months!". I swear to God, if Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint is gonna be 1 cour, I'm gonna take over the country I live in and declare a war on Japan!

You can say that splitting cours makes it easier for animators, but this is a workaround. This is not a real solution to crunches. There are 12-episode animes that had a bad production process (Zom 100) and there is My Hero Academia that pops off a 2-cour season every 18 months. I am not an expert in how it's done behind the scenes, but something tells me that there is not much of a direct correlation between number of episodes and animators' overworking. Anime needs to have good planning and management.
Imagine normies saying: "Peaky Blinders is mid and overhyped. Just another typical crime drama show. Breaking Bad is much better lol.".
Yesterday, 7:59 AM
Jul 2021
Frfr feels like edging
Yesterday, 7:59 AM
Jul 2022
i agree. i think chainsaw man isnt really given the recognition it deserved due to it being a short season. if it was a 24 episode season I think it would've gotten so much more love and would be held to the same regard as jujutsu kaisen. i havent read these manga so i cant say for sure but i have a feeling it would've been the same for hells paradise, kaiju no. 8, and maybe even windbreaker. this is not to say that the 12 episode seasons aren't good but a 24 episode season would definitely be better, especially for a season 1 which is the introductory season.
Yesterday, 8:00 AM

Mar 2021
Ki11grave said:
I swear to God, if Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint is gonna be 1 cour, I'm gonna take over the country I live in and declare a war on Japan!

I hope Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint gets a 1 cour season. I wanna see you take over your country and declare war on Japan. It sounds fun
V1P3R0PYesterday, 8:59 AM
Yesterday, 8:12 AM

Dec 2017
1 cour anime are a by product of the industry not having enough animators to meet the demand of new anime per year, this will only get worse as anime becomes more popular globally.
Just be happy you don’t even have to wait a year for a season 2
Yesterday, 8:18 AM

Sep 2016
I prefer 1 cour for the 1st season because that makes a franchise more accessible.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.

Jun 2019
Between the seasonals last year, starting around the summer season, to now, I did watch a number of new seasonals which had 20 - 28 episodes (Dark Gathering, Helck, Dog Signal, The Apothecary Diaries, Shangri-La Frontier, Sousou no Frieren, Dungeon Meshi, T.P. BON, The Fable, and Karasu wa Aruji wo Erabanai), and it was and is absolutely such a welcome breath of fresh air.

I don't care what anyone says - The push for the shortened one cour runs in the modern era has been a mistake and a lot of series have suffered as a direct result of it. On average, for most series, it definitely allows a lot more breathing space to get you much more properly invested and sucked into the world and characters when you have double-cour on average 24 - 26 episode runs. Yes, 11 - 13 episode series can work great for Slice of Life/iyashikei SoL, and when there is a pre-written story specifically tailored and designed to fit that exact length and format, especially when it's masterclass-level writing and auteur-level directing which utilizes every single episode, scene, and frame well. I don't need to be told that.

Some of my favorite series of all time and four of my only seven 10/10s given to series are for 11 - 13 episode series. But the simple fact is that most series simply aren't up to that level so they need a lot more time and space to achieve the same level of depth, quality, and emotional effect.
Oct 2019
You are barking at the wrong tree. The reason why 12 episode cour are more and more prevalent it's not just management. It's lack of employees, outsourcing,tv slot arrangements (regardless of what mal users think 95% of anime still air on tv and it come with modality the info is literally on the page). What bad management bring it's delay like it happens a lot with aniplex series. So my advice for you it's actually dig the whole process learn more and calm that puerile rage of yours. If you want things your way act like a man and conquer the whole world to shape it to your ideal thought I can already told you that it won't go your way because life doesn't work that way so go ahead conquer japan for all you can try but you be more productive actually learning the process of how the whole production committee work,how tv slot block are handled and what it mean if a series have freelancer in the staff vs a in house team.
Yesterday, 8:20 AM

May 2024
There's too much demand and not enough work force, hence the 12 episode seasons. I don't mind it all that much tbh, but it is sth that kills the hype for many new anime. I think series like Frieren for example benefited so much from being 2 consecutive cours, and then you have sth like Chainsaw Man whose hype died before it even began. I really hope Dandadan isn't affected by this, cuz Science Saru is definitely not gonna do 2 consecutive cours, they simply lack the right amount of staff for that, which is the case for most anime these days as I mentioned before.
Yesterday, 8:31 AM
Nov 2023
amd moreover Most of the series that are adapted from novels (even most normal ones) have big build ups and need one season time to set up many things at once...
It is exceptional for ORV as it already has a strong start ...But what about other works like LOTM lol...
Lotm was something that needs atleast a 24 episodes at once to make people understand the hook up material in it....
Also i can think when TBATE will be adapted it will not get strong support cause of its starting similarity with Mushoku....
Moreover if we take most popular example SL lol ☠....I don't think in ANY WAY possible they did justice to it by giving one season and also one full episode as recape....
i am getting tired of this seriously...
Yesterday, 8:32 AM

Oct 2013
I kinda agree. It is annoying, especially if the source material has been completed for a while and they no longer have to worry about catching up too quickly. I'm used to the wait for new seasons at this point, but I'm also fairly impatient for someone who doesn't watch things as they air that often. However...Another part of me wants to point out that at least they aren't shorter than that for the most part. Try waiting over a year for a freakin 8 episode season....
Yesterday, 8:34 AM

Jul 2024
I understand what you mean! Sometimes, shorter anime series can feel rushed or leave us wanting more. However, there are some gems among the 12-episode ones that manage to make a lasting impact like Death Parade, tatami galaxy, aohana
Yesterday, 8:43 AM
Dec 2023
I prefer 24 episode seasons too but still I wanna see you taking over your country, It sounds fun.
Yesterday, 9:01 AM

Jun 2024
Imagine if Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood had 12 episodes per season, released annually or every two years. Now that's edging.
Yesterday, 9:31 AM
Jul 2022
This might not be a bad view for the 3-4 major anime that come out every season but for the other approx. 35 anime in a season the main factor for them even getting an anime is because of the source, either as a sales pitch to buy the source or because they can afford to expend on making an anime because the source made enough money. If intro seasons all started being 2 cours, many anime would never be made because it wouldn't be worth the money. That's why very few anime have a second season announced as soon the first ends.
Yesterday, 9:58 AM
Sep 2023
V1P3R0P said:
Ki11grave said:
I swear to God, if Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint is gonna be 1 cour, I'm gonna take over the country I live in and declare a war on Japan!

I hope Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint gets a 1 cour season. I wanna see you take over your country and declare war on Japan. It sounds fun

Sounds like Code Geass in a nutshell for me xD
Yesterday, 10:13 AM

Jan 2020
I'm glad it's still mostly 12 at the lowest in the first place
Could be worse
Yesterday, 10:13 AM

Mar 2023
I'm sick and tired of 12-13 episodes long anime in general. Is it so hard for people to watch something longer than 13 episodes nowadays?
Yesterday, 10:22 AM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
25-50 episodes is the ideal length for anime.
Yesterday, 10:23 AM

Jun 2015
Most of the times, they do these 12 episode seasons is because the anime adaptation is basically supposed to be an advertisement for the source material. They have no intention of creating a standalone product that sells on its own.
Yesterday, 10:24 AM

Feb 2020
Yeah, there should be more longer anime, especially original ones.
Yesterday, 10:25 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to nachomaxo1
Could be worse
nachomaxo1 said:
Could be worse

Huh, never thought of that. What if Japanese broadcasters (and the viewers) start thinking monthly, so 4-week cours become the standard...

A studio would produce 4 episodes of a series every 9 months or so, and then churn through 4 times the number of shows to keep the lights on and keep the animators occupied. We'll be getting "more anime" than ever before!

This sounds nightmarish for both the viewers and the creators, but I'm sure lots of people in the industry have seriously considered this...
Yesterday, 10:28 AM

Oct 2022
As you said, it depends, some stories are better keept at 12 episodes or they will spread too thin (and some even strugle with that). But yeah, there are also many cases of animes just pushing the plot too fast so they can fit the script into 12 parts.
Yesterday, 10:44 AM

Jul 2021
Ideally all episodes of a show would be dropped at once, but let's just say that the 12 episode release is not for the sake of improving the viewing experience.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Yesterday, 10:58 AM

Aug 2020
Yeah I agree somewhat. I think some stories are meant to be short and sweet, but there is a lot of stories that are done dirty with only 12. Especially anime like Chainsaw Man which has a complicated and expansive story. 12 felt way too short and not enough to judge the series.
Yesterday, 11:02 AM

May 2018
I think original anime are the ones that suffer the most from this because they're obviously are not guaranteed to get multiple seasons & therefore they are forced to wrap up their stories in a short amount of time. YoruKura could have been one of the best anime last season had it not been for how rushed the last 4 episodes were, but even before that the fact the it wrapped up it's previous storylines in a single episode shows how strapped for time the writers were. The most recent anime to suffer from this is the new Code Geass anime, this series has pacing issues that were never a problem in the og series. Out of all the 12 episode og anime I've seen, I think Madoka was the only one that didn't have pacing issues.
animegamer245Yesterday, 11:07 AM
Yesterday, 11:10 AM

Dec 2021
People seem to be forgetting that animation studios have relatively little control over the length of seasons. They would love to adapt as much as they can. That’s job security. It’s production committees and license owners that set the terms. They want more revenue and fewer costs. 12 episode cours allow for the milking of licenses, with the added flexibility of being able to pace adaptations behind the source material and alter production conditions when desired (i.e change studios). Contracting an entire anime adaptation all at once is counterproductive to those means. As a result, studios generally have to concede favorable terms with negotiations in order to maintain business. Which is why most seasons aren’t long and overwork is common.
Yesterday, 11:56 AM
Aug 2022
SorewaKirito said:
amd moreover Most of the series that are adapted from novels (even most normal ones) have big build ups and need one season time to set up many things at once...
It is exceptional for ORV as it already has a strong start ...But what about other works like LOTM lol...
Lotm was something that needs atleast a 24 episodes at once to make people understand the hook up material in it....
Also i can think when TBATE will be adapted it will not get strong support cause of its starting similarity with Mushoku....
Moreover if we take most popular example SL lol ☠....I don't think in ANY WAY possible they did justice to it by giving one season and also one full episode as recape....
i am getting tired of this seriously...

brother lotm's getting 35 min eps and the ep no is not confirmed to be 12
Yesterday, 1:32 PM
Apr 2020
I get what you mean, i also prefer shows with longer seasons but i also understand that some studios work on multiple projects and simply don’t have the time for 24 eps in a season.
Yesterday, 2:01 PM

Jul 2013
Personally, I see no problem with a 12 episode anime series, as long as the show is of good quality. Of course, if a show is of high-quality, you would wish there was more than just 12 episodes of it. But viewers don't really determine which shows get released. The corporations marketing anime content entirely determine what shows get released (or not).
Yesterday, 2:03 PM
Feb 2021
alfsta said:
i agree. i think chainsaw man isnt really given the recognition it deserved due to it being a short season. if it was a 24 episode season I think it would've gotten so much more love and would be held to the same regard as jujutsu kaisen. i havent read these manga so i cant say for sure but i have a feeling it would've been the same for hells paradise, kaiju no. 8, and maybe even windbreaker. this is not to say that the 12 episode seasons aren't good but a 24 episode season would definitely be better, especially for a season 1 which is the introductory season.

Mostly cause up until the final part of part 1 CSM is kinda barebones
Yesterday, 2:27 PM
Nov 2023
Maybe wait til 2 cours are released before starting anything?…
Yesterday, 2:35 PM
Oct 2019
alfsta said:

Except that for Chainsaw Man, the adaptation of the sequel would not have been as good as it will be. Reze Arc is perfect as a movie and if it had been adapted in season 1, it would not have allowed to reach 24 episodes in total. And the arcs after are too long to be started. I find that in terms of adaptation, 24 episodes would have been inconsistent. Yes I agree it would have been better marketing wise, but not in terms of adaptation. I have said from the beginning that for me it had to be "S1 -> Movie Reze Arc -> S2 -> ....". And finally I see that more and more but please, CSM worked, the Japanese did not all hate it, the audiences were incredible in Japan and in the world without drops over the course of the season unlike the majority of anime. The argument of Blu-rays no longer holds in our time, even in Japan. The reception is overwhelmingly good and we can see it in the hype of the film Reze.
Yesterday, 3:49 PM
May 2011
i feel the opposite, i love the 12 episode seasons.
Yesterday, 4:39 PM
Jun 2023
*Mr krabs sounds* Money money money money money money
Yesterday, 4:41 PM

Jan 2021
I enjoy longer seasons too

12 episodes can feel really lacking sometimes but there are still a lot of anime I struggle to go through 12 episodes all the way
Yesterday, 5:06 PM
Jul 2024
Your preaching to the Choir here. It feels like almost every good Story or Manga that gets an Anime' gets so cut/shortened that it literally either sucks the fun out of it or leaves you confused. Unnamed Memory comes to mind, where they just about killed the Story. Glad I had someone who knew it actually tell it, so I could figure it out. But it goes that way for everything now, back in the Early 2000's this was for like OG OVAs only. You can try & plan for a Season 2 but we know most won't even get one. I just wish they would go back to longer commitments over quantity. I can dream, I guess.
Yesterday, 5:26 PM

Jun 2021
Reply to Cammell
I enjoy longer seasons too

12 episodes can feel really lacking sometimes but there are still a lot of anime I struggle to go through 12 episodes all the way
Same here, compare to longer episodes 12/13 episodes lack it's appeal, especially if they come in butchered forms like god of hishschool or tower of god.....
Yesterday, 8:21 PM
Mar 2021
In the old times (2000s) they dropped everything at once 24 eps or 30+.

Now they try to milk every last drop of money with second cours and stuff, big L.
5 hours ago
Oct 2020
Yeah I agree with you. 💯 We need atleast 24 eps in shonen or action related series
4 hours ago

Nov 2018
Sure, 2+ cour anime shows are fine, but only if the staff have had enough time to work on them and their work environment is healthy. It's been mentioned already, but the industry is really strained with a lack of workers and other reasons atm.

Right now, I don't mind 12 episode seasons if it means that it takes time to produce the next season. But with the time for release between seasons, it can allow the franchise to earn more money as the lifespan of the show can last much longer. LotGH DNT already has S5 in production and is one of I.G's biggest moneymakers in the last couple of years, and if they continue, they'll have 10 seasons in total. It's one of the few shows I want the studio to take its time as the OVA is the greatest anime of all time and I want the remake to live up to that hype. Releasing each season as a movie trilogy means people buy multiple theater tickets, and it'll continue into the 2030's.

I guess it's a satisfying story if an anime is fully adapted and written properly? I don't see how cour length plays a part in this. If you forget certain plot elements, either read the source material or rewatch the anime or watch a summary video of the anime to freshen up your memory.
So I've been banned from MAL-Badges, after spending nearly two years of my time and dedication to helping out, being the club's spokesperson, and planning for the revamp, it all goes down the fucking drain. What a joke the club has become. I advise everyone to stop using the feature and stop showing their support for the site and the club. We were promised that we will see changes come to the site, and nothing's been done for the past year. I doubt the site will be touched for the foreseeable future. If you're angry and annoyed about the lack of development, then good, you should be.
4 hours ago

Jun 2011
Been telling people this whole time, the longer a show is, the more story you get to enjoy. Sadly we rarely get those 39 or 50 episodes series anymore.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
4 hours ago

Jun 2024
That's why twenty six episode should be regular like the 2000s era some anime fit from that format while others are thirteen for Slice of life.
14 minutes ago

Dec 2020
Its just the way that the industry works nowadays. It is a miracle that we are still getting some high production quality animes that have 20+ episodes per season like JJK or Frieren.
"Those words are meant for those that dare defy god's final warning... An epigraph of their stubbornness"
- Maho Hiyajo (Steins;Gate 0)

More topics from this board

» bad reviews on popular titles

Autonomia - Aug 19

34 by Autonomia »»
1 minute ago

» Have you ever dropped an anime because it was better than your favorite?

Catalano - Yesterday

29 by JustMonaka »»
1 minute ago

» Favourite Anime Backgrounds/Scenery

Steve_Meave - Jul 17

19 by DarkFirefly72 »»
7 minutes ago

» Anime that would be better if it had one more episode

JoeChip - Jul 24

14 by DarkFirefly72 »»
10 minutes ago

» How was the first date with your waifu?

SgtBateMan - 5 hours ago

4 by AnimePedestrian »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.