Forum Settings
Forums

How much does reputation influence your enjoyment or critique of an Anime?

New
Jul 7, 6:10 PM

Apr 2018
A classic like Cowboy Bebop or a long-running series like Naruto might be automatically respected or even revered by fans due to their influence on the medium. Do you consciously or subconsciously give anime extra credit based on its legacy or if you try to approach each show with a fresh perspective.
Jul 8, 1:40 AM

Oct 2010
the only view that matters is my own view, I can see how some are respected but I don't care
Jul 8, 1:47 AM

Mar 2023
If you takes other peoples opinions as the Gospels, then you are not that much of a free thinker.
Jul 8, 1:48 AM

Oct 2019
It affects my decision on what shows I give a chance to, to some level, but I would like to think on a enjoyment or critical level it has very little affect on me.

Of course it could also be that I just don't notice it. It's really hard to say for sure.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Jul 8, 3:04 AM

Sep 2016
How tf would I even know that? Nobody can inspect the subconscious thought processes to determine that influence.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jul 8, 3:18 AM
Apr 2024
I take into account other people's opinions since seeing what other people think and why can make me understand more why I like or dislike something, for example because of ghost in the shell's reputation I know why people like it and it helped me understand why I disliked it so it helped me form my opinion on it
Jul 9, 2:16 AM

Jan 2018
the way it helps me is that when people talk about it then i get better understanding of it whether to watch or skip. i never like hypnotism or body swap but cause kill me now are always mentioned i finally gave it a try and mind blown.
Jul 9, 2:38 AM

Jul 2023
I'm a very little less harsh when I'm rating something my friends enjoyed.

When I rate something with high reputation in general, yes, I'm biased. If it lives up to it's fame, my ratings can be stellar. But when it utterly disappoints, it gets a lower score from what I'd give in vacuum.
Jul 9, 2:55 AM

Feb 2024
Other people's opinions only affect my selection of a show to watch, but not my impression of the show after I watched it.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Jul 9, 1:42 PM

Jul 2019
Not at all. Everyone has different tastes so the "reputation" of an anime wouldn't do much if it goes against the tastes of someone. Though sometimes if a friend recommends something, I'm more likely to check it out sooner than later.
Jul 9, 1:54 PM

Dec 2014
The only way it does is when people hype a show up and get my expectations up, only for me to watch it and what would have been a regular viewing experience becomes a disappointment. Other than that, I don't care about any opinions except those of close friends.
Jul 9, 2:03 PM

Apr 2012
It depends on what you mean under reputation. For example, I look very askance at shows with a reputation of yuri bait, because I’m scared like hell of another opportunity to get into gay vs straight controversy.
Jul 9, 2:06 PM
Sep 2019
I love controversy and crazy stuff.
Jul 9, 3:16 PM

Jul 2015
How much does reputation influence your enjoyment or critique of an Anime?

Almost none.

Do you consciously or subconsciously give anime extra credit based on its legacy or if you try to approach each show with a fresh perspective.

I just go with my approach and mindset no matter what
Jul 9, 3:51 PM

Jul 2013
I try to approach each new show with a fresh perspective. I don't like nostalgia clouding my judgement of a show.
Jul 9, 4:06 PM

Nov 2013
Only in the sense that if something was really hyped up and doesn't live up, I'm disappointed.
Jul 9, 9:52 PM

Sep 2007
Reply to APolygons2
It affects my decision on what shows I give a chance to, to some level, but I would like to think on a enjoyment or critical level it has very little affect on me.

Of course it could also be that I just don't notice it. It's really hard to say for sure.
APolygons2 said:

Same here as it dpened if it's something I'll like or enjoy regardless pf the rep or hype.
Jul 9, 10:39 PM

Jun 2024
As for me I'm really don't care If I find it interest to me than I will watch it
Jul 10, 10:25 AM
Feb 2021
Not much when rating an anime, but what to watch does affect it. I usually skip super popular anime's like AOT, Demon Slayer, and MHA.
Jul 10, 10:37 AM

Jan 2021
You know I'm not sure, I thing my scores for the most part are pretty close to the general scores. Some are higher, some are lower. I've had rare moments where I loved a series way more than others, but the opposite has equally occurred.
Sometimes it takes a real man to be best girl. Gilgamesh is also chad.

[/center]
Jul 10, 10:49 AM

Apr 2016
Not at all. Let's take OP's examples for reference. Cowboy Bebop I watched because of all its acclaim but dropped it around the half-mark because I found it super boring. All of its "respect and acclaim" did nothing to make the show more fun to me. Naruto I think is basically meh during the entirety of its pre-timeskip phase, then becomes interesting for a while (up until the end of the Pain arc) and then drops off a cliff again after that.

To give another example. Evangelion I watched because of its influence on anime, but boy oh boy, what a shit show that anime is. The only anime that I consider worse than Evangelion is Darling in the FranXX because its basically a worse copy of Evangelion.
Jul 10, 10:52 AM

Jul 2013
Reply to TheDarkLordOtaku
Only in the sense that if something was really hyped up and doesn't live up, I'm disappointed.
@TheDarkLordOtaku what kind of hype do you pay attention to btw?
Jul 10, 4:44 PM

Nov 2013
Reply to DesuMaiden
@TheDarkLordOtaku what kind of hype do you pay attention to btw?
@DesuMaiden Basically just if I've seen a lot of references within anime, or am aware of a large amount of buzz about a series
Jul 10, 5:46 PM

Dec 2020
It doesn't affect my enjoyment of the anime, but it might affect how much leverage or opportunities I give it. I mean it in the sense that I wouldn't have watched like the first 20 or 30 episodes of One Piece (that are overall really boring) and kept watching the show if it wasn't highly acclaimed and several of my friends have told me that it is worth to keep watching.
"Those words are meant for those that dare defy god's final warning... An epigraph of their stubbornness"
- Maho Hiyajo (Steins;Gate 0)
Jul 10, 6:10 PM

Sep 2022
Reputation often influences what anime I'll watch, but my opinion does not change based on other people's opinions.
Jul 10, 6:12 PM

Jul 2013
Reputation is not too important imo. But the anime show should (at least) not have a bad reputation.
Jul 10, 6:20 PM

Mar 2018
A little. Like I’m more likely to watch a anime that’s scored higher than a low one. That just saves me time. But at the same time if I’m really into the plot synopsis I watch it bc a lot of times ppl rate something super high (hype train) or super low bc of fandom or a scene in it made them mad. So I’d say more if the anime doesn’t have that large of an audience who’s seen it but more skeptical if it does.
Jul 10, 6:41 PM

May 2024
It's nice to have more information about shows or things I don't know?
I won't let it dictate for me though
I'm new!

More topics from this board

» What do today's anime do better compared to older anime?

MizunoWaveRider - 3 hours ago

8 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
3 minutes ago

» Best Jojo's Bizzare Adventure part and why??

ShivIz - 2 hours ago

2 by Pokitaru »»
28 minutes ago

Poll: » what has been the best decade for anime so far ?

ame - 11 hours ago

21 by MinakoBestGirl »»
32 minutes ago

» MC afraid of women, why? ( 1 2 )

RefiningHeaven - Sep 27, 2020

75 by MFDOOMED »»
49 minutes ago

» Do you have a crush on any of the voice actors? or just their voice?

Dragevard - Jul 25

31 by FanofAction »»
60 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.