Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 16, 2012 6:03 AM

Feb 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
A pretty good episode, it's always better when there's at least one decent person. I wonder to what extent this series is a critique of the post-war Japanese society. Often the message is so blatantly put that it feels like propaganda - the universe is a nasty place where everyone is selfish, governments are stupid and short-sighted, industrialism makes people unhappy and violent. And of course the pro-environmentalism aspect is always there as well. It seems very black and white way of thinking, as if industry and protecting the environment would always be incommensurate.
Dec 21, 2014 4:16 PM

Oct 2009
Yet another destroyed planet in so short period of time, this time Sweet Sweet Planet, now known as Bitten Planet (I kept reading that as Bitter Planet thinking that since it was Sweet, now that the soldier - Mr. Edmond - has returned, it should become Bitter, considering Maetel's foreshadowing reactions)

On 22:32 - 22:38 there are 11 passenger cars and on 22:43 - 22:49, there are already 15 passenger cars
SerhiykoDec 21, 2014 4:56 PM
Nov 4, 2015 4:49 PM

May 2012
Good episode, it's quite sad to have your homeland destroyed ass well as all your childhood memories, just for the sake of money!

But well in general the episode was pretty good, let's see what's next!
Feb 3, 2019 11:09 PM

Dec 2015
From time to time, there is a pretty little episode relying on a simple yet effective metaphor.

4/5 Just when I was getting tired of the show.
Jul 31, 2019 3:19 AM

Aug 2015
Wow, a good fucking episode. simple, but clever allegory of consumption that will only increase in relevance until we get to the point where we are all living in in the bitten planet.

The environmentalist episodes seem to hold up the best, especially this one as the planet is literally consumed into oblivion, sadly too real irl

Maetel once again does her "most interesting woman in the universe" thing, badass
Seems like an obvious metaphor for postwar Japan in which the bureaucrats sell out the land in exchange for national wealth (in this case, allegory for industry and pollution and Japanese miracle).

I feel like when episodes of 999 are good, they are really good, and when they are lousy, they are really lousy.
Jan 26, 2022 1:23 PM

Jan 2019
To have a place to return to, was all that the master of this episode wanted. But the planet was deteriorated, by selfishness, by the pursuit of greedy material wealth. The intense sadness of a place that can no longer return, the forgotten and desolate childhood.
Apr 14, 2023 4:28 PM

Jun 2014
It's so sad to see what happened to that planet, and Edmond had every right to feel as sad as he did.

I'm glad that Maetel and Tetsurou were able to save him. Hopefully, he'll find another place to settle down and be happy.

Apr 15, 12:54 PM

Dec 2015
It was a sad episode but I enjoyed it a lot. I really like the character of Edmond, a lone veteran who cries after seeing what his home has become, but he does not give up hope that there's another home for him somewhere. I wish people like him the best!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Galaxy Express 999 Episode 64 Discussion

Feorg - Jul 19, 2012

14 by MoblinGoblin »»
May 18, 3:26 PM

Poll: » Galaxy Express 999 Episode 42 Discussion

Feorg - Jul 7, 2012

12 by MoblinGoblin »»
May 3, 6:38 PM

Poll: » Galaxy Express 999 Episode 11 Discussion

sayami - Jun 3, 2011

16 by MoblinGoblin »»
Apr 15, 12:58 PM

Poll: » Galaxy Express 999 Episode 9 Discussion

sayami - Jun 2, 2011

10 by MoblinGoblin »»
Apr 14, 7:23 PM

Poll: » Galaxy Express 999 Episode 8 Discussion

sayami - Jun 2, 2011

14 by MoblinGoblin »»
Apr 14, 7:09 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.