Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 »
Dec 31, 2023 1:42 PM
May 2017
I loved the whole battle arc against Aura, but when they went out in the middle of a blizzard and that sound track started playing... I knew we were going to be "back to normal." These episodes where they tell the viewer their life stories, interesting facts about their journeys, etc. They are my favorites! I love Stark. He is one of my favorite characters.
Jan 6, 9:37 AM
Aug 2020
menenangkan banget
Jan 6, 2:59 PM
Dec 2023
best anime dawg no cap i love it so much
Jan 7, 7:50 PM

Oct 2023
I'm starting to like elf girls
Jan 8, 7:21 PM
Jun 2020
Really good !!!!!!!
Jan 10, 12:36 PM

Oct 2022
Praises to the perseverance exhibited in a commendable renown. Bitter cold weather really does kill. She's a really exceptional mage too, she keeps her distance from her opponent like a first-class mage. I'm fairly certain that the author meant to convey emotions of a post-apocalypse-demonic-warfare retiree adventurer, an emotionless elf. The anime does a great job in capturing what the author had wished to bring to life.
"All things, be they divine or mortal, find their ultimate end. 
                      It is not a harsh punishment, but a merciful pardon."

Jan 14, 4:31 AM
Feb 2022
So wonderful anime
Jan 14, 6:25 AM
Jan 2024
This episode is very still, without much to add to the story.
Jan 18, 8:06 AM
Apr 2020
Reply to Epiroogu
@Acoustic_Sammy_X Yup, very emotional.
And kinda reliable, when we discover as adults after many years what parents/other ppl did to us and how they probably were struggling themselves, but still made haven for us kids.
@Epiroogu Exactly
Jan 19, 7:44 PM
Jan 2024
好棒!感謝動畫組帶來的精彩演出
Jan 25, 1:16 AM

Oct 2020
Ah they got us with the ol' "no one ever loved me growing up" backstory for Stark even though.. it very clearly seemed like his brother cared for him

Anyway, I want a hamburg steak for my birthday
Jan 25, 6:15 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Oh the anniversary steak, damn that was sad to see Stark's backstory, his brother seemed to be a really good guy.
Jan 26, 3:46 PM
Apr 2023
Banger anime good story good pacing and when fight happens it delivers. Grateful for these episodes cuz content been feelin kinda dry for me.
Jan 27, 10:08 PM

Feb 2019
Stark really can't catch a break free my mans
"Do you believe in gravity?"
Jan 30, 8:50 PM
Jan 2019
Thanks to the anime I just realized something from the manga :y
Jan 31, 9:08 PM

Feb 2016
No way, now I legit think that Stark is the best character here.
Bro didn't try to pull out the sword because he knew he can, I'm sure of it.
Sorry if my english is bad (っ˘▽˘)っ~~~
Btw, cry about it.

Feb 2, 9:31 AM
Jan 2020
bu anımeye bayiliyorum.
günü hatırlamam gece sonundaaaaa
Feb 3, 2:26 PM

Aug 2020
Ah... Man I love Fern
Feb 3, 5:17 PM
Dec 2023
It was amazing, awesome, and cool
Feb 5, 7:36 PM
Aug 2016
Stoltz saying "You have to live" was so good
Feb 12, 2:09 AM
Dec 2022
Frieren sure has a sense of humor. That potion is an indication. Fern is just too serious at times. Stark is the innocent child like member.
Feb 13, 5:56 PM
Jul 2023
Really enjoy quality of the jokes and writing in this show
Feb 15, 8:29 PM

Jul 2023
lol at Fern calling Stark ecchi

Anyway, there are two parts here. First, we learn that Himmel wasn't able to pull the Hero's Sword. He became a hero despite that, but I wasn't please that Stark made no attempt to pull it just for fun.

Part 2 gives us insight on why Stark didn't do it. He is what we call a late bloomer. He is considered talentless and a failure. His father was hard on him.

It's his birthday but to his knowledge, he wasn't given any gifts.

Whilst the flashback scenes of Stark leaves some to be desired (it could be more emotional), it's enough to characterise him as someone relatable.

As mentioned, nobody gave him any gifts, and Fern will be the first to officially five him one.

But with some flashbacks on why Eisen is giving large steaks every time somebody has a birthday, it is considered a present, and that his brother had given him one.

It dawned on Stark that he received a birthday present all along, and that he is loved.

BEAUTIFUL
patkarununganFeb 15, 8:38 PM
Feb 18, 12:36 PM

Feb 2016
Damn this show gives me the water works ;-;
Feb 20, 7:00 PM
Jan 2023
Oh heck nah not this episode... 💀💀💀
Feb 21, 12:55 AM

Oct 2013
Stark's childhood was tough. Good that his older brother ordered him to run away when everything went south at their village.

Overall, fine episode. It could've been very good, if not (again) that dumb Frieren scenes, this time filled with moe and feetservice. Welp.
Feb 26, 5:38 PM

Jan 2017
Why am I getting teary-eyed just from Stark getting a birthday present?!? AAAAAAAAAAAA

Welp someone need to remind him in the future to try pull the Hero Sword as he could probably do it
Feb 27, 1:36 PM
Jul 2018
Anime, where people casually carry each other for hours w/o issue

Try carrying someone irl for longer than 3 mins xd (or suitcase for 12 hours)

I do wonder though are we ever gonna see other kinds of magic? I mean this show has such a wide arrange of magic/high animation budget but, all we see is lasers=( I do wonder how magic works anyway in this show. I mean they all seem to have certain requirements (hence the grimmoires) etc but considering they don't use any incarnations or whatever it's a bit unclear what they do

Stolz giving itachi vibes 100%
removed-userFeb 27, 2:51 PM
Feb 27, 7:10 PM
May 2020
thrilling episode
Mar 6, 10:38 AM

Mar 2016
This has been a lovely slow-paced episode!
That village that protects the sanctuary of the hero's sword gives off such a post-apocalyptic vibe, which might be because it seems so lifeless. The chief of the village is cute though! Anyway if Himmel could not pull off the sword from its sanctuary despite eventually beating the demon king as a true hero would, that might be more to the fact that the sword itself holds little significance. Or something else, who knows?

I finally saw Frieren's smug-meme

========================================

The main spotlight of this ep is Stark, the moment he had some free time, he went all around the town to help the townsfolk in need as well as hanging out and mingling with them. He's truly a kindhearted and selfless individual, a social butterfly as well compared to the quieter and more reserved Fern. Bruh, Fern had so much respect up until my man saw an oppai in the sky XD lmaoooooo. Still, he got his birthday present from Fern and afterwards, his birthday meal from Frieren.

Now... About Stark's backstory... He was an outcast, his family considered him a failure, a worthless good-for-nothing child who would never become a proper warrior. Yet despite all that, the pride of their family, Stark's brother Stoltz, greatly exemplify what a great older brother would do. When nobody bothered to teach him, Stoltz happily stained his outfit for Stark's training. When nobody would ever celebrate his efforts, Stoltz alone celebrated his effort by cooking him a giant hamburger. A true big brother up until the end, he sent Stark off to survive with a smile on his face.

I'm not gonna lie, I cried when Stark made the connection and realized the significance of a giant hamburger steak for birthday being attributed to a hard-working warrior, something that his brother had cooked for him. That brotherly love is so precious, Absolute legend!
Mar 6, 4:20 PM

Feb 2023
Damn...Stark has a really sad backstory. Also, Frieren sure does like to show off her grippers...lol
Mar 8, 3:20 PM
May 2022
Mad house cooking
Mar 12, 10:24 PM
Feb 2024
Stark past make me cry
Mar 14, 1:39 PM
Nov 2022
perfect, every single part of it...
Mar 17, 10:39 PM

Dec 2022
another beautifully adapted episode as usual but i must say i do not remember the manga having Frieren foot fetishism
Mar 17, 11:05 PM

Nov 2020
Stark TT-TT mah boy
Mar 18, 9:39 PM
Mar 2024
For how slow paced this anime can be at times, the storytelling is just incredible across the board. Never been this invested in this sort of anime before.
Mar 19, 10:57 PM
Aug 2022
Honestly,

This anime has some of the best battle scenes I've ever seen.

Despite it being literally a magical / supernatural theme (so it's on the far side of reality), it's very realistic in terms of battles.

Like when Frieren is training with F and she shows how a small gap in her defenses could've meant instant death with a magic blast that was small but as fast as a bullet...

You realize how in most magic animes, the projectiles are always the speed of tennis balls or something... but this anime brings reality -- if someone could launch a magic projectile, why would it not be as fast as a bullet?

And they carry that realization on throughout the anime where you can "feel" the intensity and real life and death stakes in each battle. It's like literally one wrong move and tbis dude's op attack could kill me.
Mar 22, 4:15 PM
Mar 2024
Amazing I Love this anime
Mar 24, 4:00 PM

Aug 2019
ecchi.

i wonder where frieren keeps all her grimoires her box thing fits quite a lot of things but i saw no books when she went through it. it also doesnt seem to weigh much or she is just strong
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 26, 9:31 AM
Mar 2018
Stark is such a nice dude. I liked getting to know more of his past, as well as meeting his brother. I do wish Fern would stop calling him a perv, though, it's less funny the more she does it (especially when there isn't a reason).
Mar 28, 5:13 PM

May 2021
Starks backstory got me sad
Starks always a perv I guess
Inhales oxygen
Mar 31, 11:07 AM
Jan 2023
Jalan cerita yang luar biasa, saya sangat menyukainya, cerita yang ringan
Mar 31, 6:12 PM
Apr 2020
Another amazing episode, loved the focus on Stark here, poor guy can't catch a break with Fern tho lmao
Apr 2, 6:14 PM

Jul 2013
I'm really glad I stuck to this show cause otherwise I wouldn't have seen this episode. Simply the best so far.
Apr 11, 5:15 PM
Sep 2022
the more and more i learn about each character, the more and more I love the show :)

also, stopy :P
Apr 12, 10:38 AM
Sep 2021
no comment for this episode. always good. more better every episode
Apr 12, 7:45 PM
Aug 2020
''if you can't win with story quality then just use drama to your advantage''
This anime is totally ordinary in every aspect
Apr 13, 4:03 AM
Aug 2023
Awesome episode as usual, truly, but I want to talk about something else...

Regarding Fern, and Fern x Stark ship...every time Fern distrusts Stark or thinks ill of him without good reason (which is most of the time, ever since they met), I despise her a little more. Lots of commenters say it's because she likes him, they're going to end up in a ship...yeah I get that, that seems to be the trope-y thing that'll happen. However I think they're terrible for each other.

Stark keeps asking her if she's mad at him (because she is), and he even starts apologizing when not even knowing what he did wrong (he did nothing wrong). That is NOT a good basis for a ship. Furthermore Fern's distrust of Stark is antagonistic to the fundamental theme of his character. Stark's theme is nearly everybody thinks ill or little of him, which is detrimental to his character. Even he himself thinks he's much weaker than he actually is. He think Eisen hit him out of anger, while it was actually out of fear. He thinks Eisen doesn't think he's worthy because Eisen has never praised him, but Eisen believes Stark's stronger than himself even. I could go on and on with the examples. The difference between all these examples with Fern's mistreatment of Stark is the examples all have an element of an innocent misunderstanding, but Fern's disdain for Stark in the moment are always real. There's no innocent misunderstanding, she really thinks he's a pervert or some other non-sense, and it always is non-sense, unfair, or wrong. Fern is no different than the people who actually had ill-will against Stark, like his father who deemed Stark worthless. That's why Fern's not a good ship with Stark on the fundamental theme level. She never had faith in him in the first place, and even if she changes to respect him later, it won't change that fact. The Stark's theme isn't about convincing others their judgement on him was wrong, his theme's goal is about perseverance despite the obstacles, seeing himself as worthy, and knowing there were people who believed in him from the start (Eisen, his brother, Frieren, etc. but definitely not Fern). Once Stark attains his thematic goal, he should be no longer asking what he did wrong, nor apologizing to Fern because Fern with her distrust and ill-will was an obstacle to Stark's self-worth. Think about that, Fern has always been consistently attacking Stark's self-worth most of the time with all these distrust or "you pervert" moments. She did have moments where she'd second guess, but she hasn't stopped yet, have she?
Apr 14, 11:50 AM
Mar 2024
anime is great in every way
Pages (8) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 »

More topics from this board

» Is this your fav anime? ( 1 2 3 )

Ghost_Davo - Sep 22

128 by TheSunLife »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 2

279 by Neokyuz »»
Yesterday, 4:10 PM

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 28 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 22

909 by alippskuy »»
Yesterday, 5:14 AM

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Sep 29, 2023

328 by Sphystius »»
Sep 22, 10:08 AM

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2023

560 by Neokyuz »»
Sep 22, 10:07 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.