Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 17, 5:55 AM

Jul 2015
i was interested in watching this anime but i saw a 'Prostitution' tag that made me hesitate
so i just want to know how much the story focus on this theme and if any of the female leads is a prostitute?
Mar 17, 6:04 AM
Feb 2018
yo Will not watch sex or anything, just watch it
Mar 17, 6:07 AM
Nov 2020
The main lead is an apothecary in the palace but a lot of the story involves concubines and courtesans. It’s a really good story involving a lot of mystery. And the women are a big part of the story.
Mar 17, 6:08 AM

Apr 2021
tragedydesu said:
i was interested in watching this anime but i saw a 'Prostitution' tag that made me hesitate
so i just want to know how much the story focus on this theme and if any of the female leads is a prostitute?

There is no nudity or sex.

It is a background theme in the story, but it’s not about the prostitution.

It mostly about the apothecary using their knowledge and figuring out situations.
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series, both Japanese Sub & English Dub, then judge each anime based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

Mar 17, 6:20 AM

Sep 2009

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
KarinaraMar 30, 10:40 AM
Mar 17, 6:34 AM

Jul 2015
i see thx for the informations ... so basically the majority of side heroines are prostitutes
that theme just make me feel so uncomfortable even if its not explicit we all know what they are doing behind the scenes

i'll skip . enjoy
Mar 17, 6:44 AM

Apr 2020
Not at all, actually.

It's not a field beeing discussed in depth, or with a theme/message in mind.
They're just portrayed as the most beautiful, most popular girls - everyone knows.

They DO get some screentime, but it doesn't matter that their prostitutes, really.
It doesn't focus on their dayli life, problems or feelings. They're always happy and their main reason why they're in this story is to be big sisters to MaoMao.

tragedydesu said:
that theme just make me feel so uncomfortable even if its not explicit we all know what they are doing behind the scenes

It's actually made for you, I think. If you're this sensitive then don't worry:
Cause everything is so lighthearted and surface level, with that.
Merve2LoveMar 17, 6:51 AM
Mar 17, 6:53 AM
Jan 2024
no the lead is not and also the theme is negligible it's just there nothing that much
Mar 17, 6:56 AM
Oct 2019
Reply to tragedydesu
i see thx for the informations ... so basically the majority of side heroines are prostitutes

i'll skip . enjoy
@tragedydesu I am happy to not be like you and go head on on things that me uncomfortable. Be like you who knows how many series I wouldn't have watched. Probably first one be oreimo a decade ago because the end turned me off badly.
Mar 17, 7:08 AM
May 2016
tragedydesu said:

i'll skip . enjoy

Yes, they are playing go and shogi. So indecent...
This take is just so fkn bad.
Mar 17, 7:16 AM

Jan 2020
tragedydesu said:

i'll skip . enjoy

This is the most pansy ass cringelord thing I've ever read lmao...
Mar 17, 7:31 AM
Jun 2023
Oh I hoped this will be a discussion initiated by someone as intrigued with theme of prostitution and what it brings into story like this as I am 😅
Oh, well, nevermind.
Mar 17, 7:32 AM

Jul 2021
Shamsy said:
tragedydesu said:

i'll skip . enjoy

This is the most pansy ass cringelord thing I've ever read lmao...

This post HAS to be bait, why ask about how relevant prostitution is in this anime if you are going to reject anything that has this theme anyway?
Mar 17, 8:38 AM
Jul 2022
tragedydesu said:

Some characters are but nothing really graphic or ecchi happens the pleasure district and some characters just appear often. It’s not what you’re thinking.
Mar 17, 9:04 AM

Feb 2020
It is quite off putting for me personally too. It’s not the main thing in the show but overall it is a bad theme that you just have to deal with.

Mar 17, 9:18 AM

Jul 2015
MaoMao frequently associates herself with courtesans from local brothel near which she grew up. That's about it.

Mar 17, 9:26 AM
Apr 2021
tragedydesu said:

the main story isnt about sex, but a frequent scenario is the pleasure district and the courtsan house mc was raised at. also some characters are her "older sisters", the girls who live there and helped her growing up. it doesnt have any blant nudity or sex (its def not ecchi). there are some bittersweet moments regarding women and their sexual freedom but not the main focus.
i dont think u should hesitate on watching such a great show for that reason. if anything else, watch it, and if there is ever a scene that makes u uncomfortable, drop out 👍
Mar 17, 9:54 AM
Jan 2018
Reply to tragedydesu

i'll skip . enjoy
@tragedydesu …side heroines you hardly see , the show mainly takes place in the inner palace with the emperors concubines
Mar 17, 11:57 AM
Jun 2020
it's there for sure. but as someone that is pretty squeamish with the presence of Unwanted sexual conduct even in the slightest, i didn't have any problems with the show thus far. the only prostitution done is not only consensual but Desiree. from the consorts to the prostitutes in the pleasure district.
Mar 17, 3:31 PM
Jun 2022
Merve2Love said:
Not at all, actually.

It's not a field beeing discussed in depth, or with a theme/message in mind.
They're just portrayed as the most beautiful, most popular girls - everyone knows.

They DO get some screentime, but it doesn't matter that their prostitutes, really.
It doesn't focus on their dayli life, problems or feelings. They're always happy and their main reason why they're in this story is to be big sisters to MaoMao.

tragedydesu said:

It's actually made for you, I think. If you're this sensitive then don't worry:
Cause everything is so lighthearted and surface level, with that.

merve bütün tartışmalara girmişsin yeter da kdjfjf her yerde adını görüyorum
Mar 17, 6:01 PM
Jan 2021
It’s not explicit, but that’s like the whole anime.
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Mar 17, 7:25 PM
Jul 2022
É doido que Anime Bom! Um Anime que de cara parece "simples" , Mas por tudo ser tão realista e as palavras ser faladas pelas metades faz ser um história complexa que se não presta atenção acaba perdendo vários pontos cruciais da trama.
Mar 17, 9:28 PM

Apr 2022
It’s a pervasive theme but there’s nothing explicit at all. If you’re uncomfortable at the concept itself, then I can see you not jiving with the show. But it’s fairly background, so if you can bring yourself to put up with it, it’s a. Weh good show waiting for you.
Mar 17, 9:30 PM
Oct 2015
tragedydesu said:

i'll skip . enjoy

lmao weak as hell for that 🤣
Mar 17, 10:05 PM
Mar 2018
I was curious about your taste and so I checked your profile. I can say with confidence you will not like this show.
Mar 20, 4:24 AM
May 2023
tragedydesu said:

i'll skip . enjoy

In that case, I recommend goblin slayer. Especially the first episode. Very wholesome and doesn’t have prostitution 👍🏻
Mar 20, 11:46 PM
Jun 2014
tragedydesu said:

i'll skip . enjoy

I realise u most likely already made up your mind but I had a thought the other day because of this thread. This show is more like dr stone than anything prostitute related that is just a fact of the times the show is set in . Also the majority of the “prostitutes” are presented much like geisha as in they are there to entertain / play games / play music with customers more than anything lewd. There is one episode near the end of the series which does have mentions and themes u seem concerned with but that’s fitting with the story and show. To conclude it is a great show with mystery and political intrigue very nice animation and such. Just my thoughts here.
Mar 21, 4:58 AM

Dec 2007
Reply to tragedydesu

i'll skip . enjoy
@tragedydesu I think you should still give it a try. as courtesans of their value rarely slept with their clients. and no, it's not most of the side heroins, I'd say not even half.

This anime really is worth watching, and you can drop it later if it bothers you.
Mar 27, 1:52 AM
Oct 2016
Reply to tragedydesu

i'll skip . enjoy
@tragedydesu I also feel a bit uncomfortable with the setting. I came to the forums to see if anyone else felt the same way, but apparently we're in the minority. It's definitely not for everyone though. I'm sorry people in here seem to be so rude about disagreeing with you. (Maomao is a pretty cool mc though)
Mar 27, 2:41 AM

Jan 2013
Bro can't handle prostitution as a minor (non-explicit) theme. Someone is sexually repressed.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Mar 27, 3:04 AM

Jul 2015
@StrickenDeal
yeah we are in the minority , looks like the majority have no problem with this theme , i pretty much can handle all themes except rape/prostitution
there is some few rude comments but the majority are kind/respectful

@LostSpectre
i have no problem with sex in my stories , some of my favorite manga have sex scenes i even read visuals novels who have plenty of it
my problem is with prostitution, knowing this beautiful women are sleeping with random dudes regularly makes me feel depressed and disgusted inside
Mar 27, 11:23 AM

Jan 2013
Reply to tragedydesu
@StrickenDeal
yeah we are in the minority , looks like the majority have no problem with this theme , i pretty much can handle all themes except rape/prostitution

@LostSpectre
i have no problem with sex in my stories , some of my favorite manga have sex scenes i even read visuals novels who have plenty of it
my problem is with prostitution, knowing this beautiful women are sleeping with random dudes regularly makes me feel depressed and disgusted inside
@tragedydesu Sorry, but you're not exactly convincing me to change my mind here.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Mar 27, 11:48 PM
Aug 2019
Reply to tragedydesu
@StrickenDeal

@LostSpectre
@tragedydesu
If that's what you're worried about I do recommend you still watch it and see how you feel after a bit
Cause the show does give you a lot of insight of what actually goes on in these brothels, as you do learn that, like learning the high ranking prostitutes rarely sleep with random dudes and often just have meetings with them (cause extremely high price)

More topics from this board

» Does this ever get good? ( 1 2 )

El_Jiro - Yesterday

61 by kappa1uk »»
44 seconds ago

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Softhenic03 - Oct 28, 2023

205 by LotteGiants »»
Yesterday, 2:29 AM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 27

90 by grandy_UiD »»
Yesterday, 12:10 AM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

IzanaSolos - Nov 4, 2023

158 by Anshika_Sh »»
Jun 10, 10:36 AM

» What year does apothecary diary takes place?

hercules28 - Apr 12

5 by bryanyuchen »»
Jun 9, 10:38 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.