Forum Settings
Forums

Do you still use 3 episodes rule before deciding whether to drop an anime or not? :)

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 11, 1:21 AM

Jul 2021
Yes I do, because it's not reasonable to ask an anime to hold my attention immediately. But I'm not too strict about the rule.

If I absolutely cannot stand the first episode, I will not put myself through 3 episodes.

If I'm lukewarm about it or if I'm still not sure, I will try to hit Episode 3. If I'm still on the fence, I may watch a few more.
Mar 11, 12:29 PM

Jul 2010
I can drop it after the first ep, but I don't tend to put on my anime list when that happens. I can't bother if something is just so bad for my taste. And of course I don't go around the internet and hate it, which is the trend these days. lol
Mar 11, 2:12 PM

Dec 2011
Not really because I am at the point where I would drop whenever if the anime isn't interesting.
Mar 11, 2:26 PM

Dec 2015
Most of the time I do 2 or 3, some I even drop after 5 (usually hoping itll improve but no)
Mar 11, 3:05 PM

Apr 2008
Usually I just watch until I get bored. For shorter anime that mostly happens about 4-6 episodes in, for longer anime sometimes it takes me more episodes to drop it. I just want to make sure that it is something I really want to drop so at times I give series more episodes than I need to before I drop them .
Mar 11, 4:27 PM

Jun 2016
I used to do it, now I only watch the first episode, if it sucks, i drop
Mar 11, 4:44 PM

Jul 2015
No, I drop an anime whenever I feel like doing so. Whether it's after the first episode, the third, the 20th, or even later on, I'll drop it at any given moment
Mar 11, 4:52 PM

Dec 2022
Didn't even realise this principle existed until recently. But even if I did, I still wouldn't pay it any mind. If I feel like dropping an anime, I'm dropping it, regardless of how far in I am.

Shaded Horizon

Mar 11, 5:34 PM

Mar 2020
Nope. When I was young (12 to 14) I used to finish every anime I started. Even if I hated it. After I got out of that phase I used the 3 episode rule for a short period of time. But I quickly stopped. I realized if I didn't like the vibe from the first episode, I wouldn't like the rest of the show either. So, if I drop a show it's usually after I've watched episode 1 or 2.
💀😭😂🙏
Mar 11, 5:53 PM

Aug 2020
nah just drop it when I'm bored. Time is precious, can't be spending on stuff that isnt enjoyable.
Mar 11, 7:09 PM

Jul 2021
Never have, never will. I usually drop after the first ep if I don't like it.
Mar 11, 8:23 PM

Oct 2014
I just try to power through shows enough to complete them and if I hate them enough they just become background noise as I do household chores
Mar 12, 3:07 AM

Apr 2012
I approve of this rule, but I rarely use it literally. I usually just watch 4-5 episodes and then look back to see if it's worth it.
Mar 12, 4:46 AM

Jan 2022
>Do you still use 3 episodes rule before deciding whether to drop an anime or not? :)
No, I never adhered to this rule and considered people who use this rule to be very dumb. You should know if you'd like an anime by just looking at it's poster.
Mar 12, 5:04 AM

Nov 2023
Do 6 episodes, 3 episodes is too short, sometimes it just takes a while for it to get good, especially if its a longer series
Mar 12, 5:07 AM

Mar 2016
No. Those who applied these stupid rules dont really have much weight for their opinion regarding the series if they even dared to enter the discussion. But dropping series in general is perfectly fine regardless on what episode number youre endured. But please take note that mean the series IS NOT BAD (you dont have credibility jugde anything since you dropped it), they're just not for you.

Ofc there is some exception for long running anime. At least that what i usually looked
RioAlMar 12, 5:15 AM

Mar 12, 5:22 AM
Jun 2021
Usually 3-4 depending on the show, unless one's really bad and there's no hope for it. If I'm still uncertain and I'm past episode 5, I just say screw it and I'm staying till the end
Mar 12, 6:05 AM
Jan 2022
na, i usually drop the anime when i lose interest in it
Mar 12, 7:15 AM

Nov 2019
Na im not a bitch gotta watch everything to the end.
I am a COMPLETIONIST. Aiming to finish AS MANY ANIME as possible before DEATH, Despite them being SATISFACTORY or if they are BORING.

I WATCH THE LOWEST SCORED/RATED/RANKED ANIMES ON MAL (OR you can CALL THEM The WORST animes in the WORLD - No Joke Like Seriously)

No anime has actually satisfied my anime taste, That I can call a MasterPiece (10/10), still searching... hopefully one day I will find that show and obsess over it till I die.
RULE NO.4 I MUST WATCH ALL CONTENT FOR THE SERIES I HAVE FINISHED, NOW THIS ONE IS QUITE EXHILARATING.
Mar 12, 11:36 AM

Jan 2013
That was only ever a "rule" for novices, veterans certainly don't need 3 episodes to assess a shows quality.

I try to give a max of 3 episodes before deciding to pick up or drop, but that's obviously not the same.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Mar 12, 3:16 PM

Jul 2023
I am often generous with my time and have given most things I watch around an hours' worth of time to show me something interesting.
Mar 12, 6:26 PM

Aug 2018
I normally spend forever even finding an anime to watch cus im picky, then drop it in like 2 episodes lol
Mar 12, 7:10 PM

Mar 2024
I don't have a certain number of episodes to drop an anime, if I can't watch it anymore it's over. I don't force myself to look at something what I don't want to see anymore. I think I'm old enough to be able to decide that for myself.
Mar 17, 6:38 PM

Aug 2019
Honestly? I feel like one episode is enough for me to tell most of the time, but someone I know has turned me into a completionist, so I rarely drop anime series...
Mar 17, 9:28 PM

Sep 2019
Never used it. I'm pretty good at telling if im gonna like a series before I watch somethig, so it's quite rare for me to drop something
Mar 17, 9:31 PM

Jul 2013
I never used to do that. For me it was 1 or 2 episodes before I dropped (but my drop list has been inconsistent on this). Now-a-days, if I start a show and don't like it, I just watch it when I am washing the utensils or cooking. That way even if I miss some parts, I still get the gist of the episode (more than a gist actually) and then can complete it.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Is Shojo Anime making a comeback?

RedTea33 - 4 hours ago

5 by alshu »»
5 minutes ago

» Why Trap Characters are good

GoatPieceLuffy - 7 hours ago

10 by Theo1899 »»
8 minutes ago

» Can you suggest some anime that would be great to watch with a girl-friend

Gashadokur0 - Today

44 by Zamus_Edits »»
11 minutes ago

» Why Ecchi is good for the anime industry

GoatPieceLuffy - 3 hours ago

18 by DX_impulse »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » How dominant is anime in the content you consume?

RobertBobert - 11 hours ago

28 by NotActuallyReal »»
32 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.