Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Dec 10, 2023 12:48 AM

Oct 2022
Maomao is such a sleuth even if unintentionally sometimes 😁
Dec 10, 2023 1:09 AM

Nov 2022
Well, that explains why Maomao knows so much about medicine despite being "simply an apothecary". The dad is the former rear palace's doctor, she's been learning so much more than a regular apothecary.
And of course, she was adopted by him. 
Dec 10, 2023 2:20 AM

Jul 2016
I wonder how Jinshi would react if Gaoshun actually did heroically sub in for Maomao's honey "reward" lmao

Speaking of, that "son" couldn't possibly be who I think it is, can it?
Dec 10, 2023 2:39 AM

Oct 2022
Dang consort Lishu, you need to learn how to put up a poker face. Your expression reveals too much, you need to control those emotions to protect yourself in the rear palace.

Dec 10, 2023 2:42 AM

Dec 2022
Welp, one does not survive as a maid this long in the harem by being nice and diligent. Gotta keep your eyes out for those friendly older servants. Maomao's mysterious adoptive father being the perfect example. He was chillingly calm when she came back after going missing for 10 month. You'd expect at least some sort of reassuring words or scolding (like the madam of the popular flower house).
If you raised a kid for more than a decade long, you'd have at least some form of emotional attachment, yet he was awfully nonchalant.
Dec 10, 2023 3:41 AM

Jul 2022
Reply to Nachtwandler_21
@DreadfulLaw Jinshi is 23 officially, his real age is different but he is a bit older than MaoMao.
@Nachtwandler_21
watsym said:
@DreadfulLaw
I don't remember that, it's been 7 weeks so maybe I'm forgetting, but I doubt that info you gave on Jinshi is available in the anime
It's explained that the son Ah-duo had with the emperor died 17 years ago in the last minute of the episode in the monologue Mao was having.

ok but then what about those lines?

here they're saying the the current emperor's brother was born seventeen years ago, so if jinshi isn't 17 does that mean he isn't the emperor's brother? although i thought they were hinting at him being the brother in the episode of that party thing
Dec 10, 2023 3:47 AM

Mar 2023
Reply to DreadfulLaw
@Nachtwandler_21
watsym said:
@DreadfulLaw
I don't remember that, it's been 7 weeks so maybe I'm forgetting, but I doubt that info you gave on Jinshi is available in the anime
It's explained that the son Ah-duo had with the emperor died 17 years ago in the last minute of the episode in the monologue Mao was having.

here they're saying the the current emperor's brother was born seventeen years ago, so if jinshi isn't 17 does that mean he isn't the emperor's brother? although i thought they were hinting at him being the brother in the episode of that party thing
@DreadfulLaw Yes, I see where this is going. Mao said during the episode that Ah-Duo reminds her of someone and looking at character design that would be Jinshi. Similar hair, eyes and facial structure
You're probably right. They said the brother died, but the only way I can think of to make what you said true is:
watsymDec 10, 2023 4:04 AM
Dec 10, 2023 5:01 AM

Sep 2009
Reply to DreadfulLaw
@Nachtwandler_21
watsym said:
@DreadfulLaw

@DreadfulLaw they messed up the dates. I don't know if it's anime staff tweaking the ages or some translation error but both emperrors firstborn and his younger brother were born a bit over 18 years ago in the novels.
Nachtwandler_21Dec 10, 2023 7:38 AM
Dec 10, 2023 5:09 AM

Oct 2022
As depressing as it might be, it's in Lishu's favour to be neglected by the emperor. She's already vulnerable enough, if more clever people were to scheme against her, she'd be dead in a heartbeat.
Dec 10, 2023 5:33 AM

Dec 2022
"If this was aconite syrup, I'd have just accepted it"

What do you mean Maomao!?!? You would be okay with licking his hand? Or did i misunderstand it? please tell me I was not the only one that misunderstood it

Dec 10, 2023 5:36 AM

Jul 2021
This anime is one of the best of this season. I will continue to follow the story through the manga after the anime comes to an end.
“There are only two types of people in the world--those who became otaku and those who didn't--and the latter just can't understand what the former is so excited about."--Ono Norihiro

Dec 10, 2023 6:28 AM

Dec 2022
Every episode of this anime has been sweet, and her father being part of that conspiracy wasn’t all that surprising since he mentioned Maomao’s fate a couple of eps ago, now it confirms that he was there.

I feel bad for lady Lishu, her ladies in waiting are terrible.

Excited for next episode.
Dec 10, 2023 7:19 AM

Oct 2019
It might just be me but I was confused by the multiple name dumps of this episode, of concubines, ladies-in-waiting and pavilions...
Dec 10, 2023 8:01 AM
Sep 2021
So the case behind the poisoning is still under investigation and soon maomao figures out an important piece of information on this case.
Dec 10, 2023 8:12 AM

Oct 2016
I feel that I heard a theme somewhat similar to the one used when Maomao was walking in the palace before taking out the books years ago, in a random flash game.

Was Jinshi's seiyuu replaced? He sounds different in this episode.

I think it was clarified alredy but I don't remember so I ask, why does Gaoshu calls Maomao Xiaomao?
Dec 10, 2023 9:09 AM

Apr 2014
Reply to CaptainKenshiro
I feel that I heard a theme somewhat similar to the one used when Maomao was walking in the palace before taking out the books years ago, in a random flash game.

Was Jinshi's seiyuu replaced? He sounds different in this episode.

I think it was clarified alredy but I don't remember so I ask, why does Gaoshu calls Maomao Xiaomao?
@CaptainKenshiro

Xiao means little in Chinese. So, Xiaomao literally means little Maomao.
何それ?意味分かんない
Dec 10, 2023 9:14 AM
Nov 2022
looking forward to watching the rest
Dec 10, 2023 9:41 AM
Sep 2016
Dundundun.... The revelation of the legendary doctor, Luomen.

Ah Duo is so cool, just as I remembered her from the LN and manga (animated Ah Duo is actually better though).... Although, whilst I do remember it has something to do with honey, I barely remember what's the honey is all about...
Python is the best programming language ever. FIGHT ME!
Dec 10, 2023 10:31 AM

Oct 2016
Reply to AkeZZZ
@CaptainKenshiro

Xiao means little in Chinese. So, Xiaomao literally means little Maomao.
@AkeZZZ I see, I hope I don't forget it now. Thank you.
Dec 10, 2023 10:55 AM

Aug 2021
oooo i like the twist
Dec 10, 2023 2:20 PM

Apr 2017
They animated the reward scene perfectly LOL. Loved that bit ^^
I'll make it with the power of cute

I'm unstoppable
Dec 10, 2023 3:06 PM
Nov 2020
Mega_Muse said:
This episode dropped so many bombs I can't.

° At first I thought Ah-Dua and jinshi are related. Because maomao says she reminds her of someone and they do look similar ngl.
(and at the very beginning we see a person drinking. Is that ah-Dua or jinshi??)

° But at the end of the episode, it sorta suggests that maomao was born to ah-Dua since it's the same 17 years.... ( unless jinshi is also 17. Which I don't think. How old is he anyway?)

° I was a little sus of jinshi being the emperor's sick brother but now he could be the emperor's secret son?? (via ah-Dua)

Idk anything anymore. My brain is a little overheated. Clarify or point out if I misunderstood something but don't spoil tho.

So the current emporer has a child with Ah Duo when he was a prince. The previous emperor had a child at the same time which is Jinshi emperor brother. But Jinshi and Ah Duo look same. I’m thinking that it’s a case of switched babies and that her child didn’t really die .
Dec 10, 2023 7:20 PM
Jun 2021
Lightsrevenge said:
Mega_Muse said:
This episode dropped so many bombs I can't.

° At first I thought Ah-Dua and jinshi are related. Because maomao says she reminds her of someone and they do look similar ngl.
(and at the very beginning we see a person drinking. Is that ah-Dua or jinshi??)

° But at the end of the episode, it sorta suggests that maomao was born to ah-Dua since it's the same 17 years.... ( unless jinshi is also 17. Which I don't think. How old is he anyway?)

° I was a little sus of jinshi being the emperor's sick brother but now he could be the emperor's secret son?? (via ah-Dua)

Idk anything anymore. My brain is a little overheated. Clarify or point out if I misunderstood something but don't spoil tho.

So the current emporer has a child with Ah Duo when he was a prince. The previous emperor had a child at the same time which is Jinshi emperor brother. But Jinshi and Ah Duo look same. I’m thinking that it’s a case of switched babies and that her child didn’t really die .

yeah pretty much. I was thinking jinshi is either the emperors son or brother
Dec 10, 2023 9:02 PM
Aug 2015
So if we consider Ah-duo's child didn't actually die then going by resemblance the son is mostly Jinshi no? With this it also makes sense why he's a position higher than even the consorts in the palace. If so then I guess he'll be a suspect for poisoning lifua too.

Man if this true I feel bad for daddy mao. Poor man got framed
Dec 11, 2023 3:40 AM

Sep 2009
Reply to prtk_is_free
So if we consider Ah-duo's child didn't actually die then going by resemblance the son is mostly Jinshi no? With this it also makes sense why he's a position higher than even the consorts in the palace. If so then I guess he'll be a suspect for poisoning lifua too.

Man if this true I feel bad for daddy mao. Poor man got framed
@Riku_Sama he was not framed more like made a scrapegoat in this case. As one high-status child is still died, the only point is which one.
Dec 11, 2023 5:38 AM

Feb 2009
I am surprised no one here (I used keyword search with Jinshi's name in it) finds Jinshi's action is in this episode borderline predatory.
Because I feel so.

I mean it is well-established that Maomao is in no position to decline (and emphasised in previous episode) whatever that is asked of her.
since Jinshi holds much higher position in the court
and he even corners her to a wall while trying to feed her honey off his finger tips.

Brief gesture could be construed as teasing, but driving her to a wall with fingers right in front of her is stressful to watch.
Plus Maomao is not even enjoying it (if he did this to other girls who all squeal at him, that would be more justified).

I find this behaviour creepy, regardless of how beautiful the person is.
And why would some of you even fantasise about it?

Dec 11, 2023 6:21 AM

Jul 2021
It seems evident that Jinshi is likely Ah-Duo's son, given their resemblance and the similar reactions from palace maidens toward them. This implies that the real son of Ah-Duo and the current emperor (Jinshi) was exchanged with the former emperor's child, presumably Maomao. Possibly because she's a girl, there's a motive to eliminate her. Hence, Luomen took Maomao and escaped. However, I'm in doubt about Lishu's connection in this family court drama, but she must be deeply involved too.
Dec 11, 2023 8:35 AM
Level 6 esper

May 2021
maomao carries the episode as always.
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Dec 11, 2023 4:21 PM

Feb 2023
Bit of a confusing episode, but we along for the ride!
Dec 11, 2023 6:34 PM
Oct 2019
Omg they dropping a lot of bomb in this episode.
HOLY SHIT!!
Dec 11, 2023 11:17 PM
Feb 2015
The Ah Duo seem similar to someone but who is it. Nevermind, the gentle and head maid is being suspected and the face of Virtuose consort when she speak about her tell a volume. How would this unraveled, hope it would be satisfying conclusion for everyone. Jinshi always make prank to Maomao, it seem one of his amuse pastime way, hope she able to escape everytime.
Dec 11, 2023 11:22 PM

Jul 2017
The last of the 4 Emperor's Consorts: the Pure Consort Ah-Duo, the mother of a dead baby and being replaced by Concubine Lishu, glad to see that what Maomao did to cure the problem with Lishu's servants, the problem just got worse with the tea party with Lishu not being able to accept honey. That said, the Garden party incident surely raises Jinshi's interest, and he persuades Maomao to join him in Ah-Duo's Garnet Pavilion, which said lady exudes beauty and valour. Ah-Duo's head lady-in-waiting Fengming is just as elegant in style, and everyone in the Garnet Pavilion are indeed hard workers, which Maomao experiences true laborship.

To find out the culprit of the poisoning, seems like finding a needle in a haystack in this hard-working Pavilion, at least for Maomao. When this is reported back to Jinshi, Maomao gives intricate details about everyone she sees while he's dipped in rich honey...and attempts to forcefully feed her like so. But thinking back on it, honey seems to be the only thing that connects the case to everyone thus far: Lishu's rashes, Fengming's bandaged arms and the like. Upon requesting Lishu however, she claims it to be a banned ailment which would harm her body if she ever took a pinch of it.

Upon looking at past records, Maomao gets the unsightly feeling that the doctor whom she frequents, her dad really put himself in danger back when the Emperor Dowager had just Ah-Duo and her newly birthed son, which would be the only Prince if he had done his work well. What a sad fate for Maomao's father who got expelled from the Royal Palace.
Dec 12, 2023 3:55 AM
Jul 2021
I didn't understand the ending of this episode so I went to original source material aka the manga and now I am more confused.

Can anyone explain it to me, was it the current emperor who had a child (that died) with ah duo or was it the previous emperor who had a child (that died) with ah duo? Previous emperor only had one concubine at that time, ah duo. Then why the manga mentions two sons that were born at the same time? This is the part I can't make sense.
Dec 12, 2023 4:15 AM

Aug 2023
Reply to moonjar
I didn't understand the ending of this episode so I went to original source material aka the manga and now I am more confused.

Can anyone explain it to me, was it the current emperor who had a child (that died) with ah duo or was it the previous emperor who had a child (that died) with ah duo? Previous emperor only had one concubine at that time, ah duo. Then why the manga mentions two sons that were born at the same time? This is the part I can't make sense.
@moonjar Ah duo had a son with current emperor who was a prince at that time. And at the same day or the following day current emperor's brother was born.
Dec 12, 2023 4:20 AM
Apr 2021
CQLLIST said:
the real son of Ah-Duo and the current emperor (Jinshi) was exchanged with the former emperor's child, presumably Maomao

Dec 12, 2023 12:49 PM

Jan 2018
I'm sorry but Jinshi's behaviour is kinda similar to r4pist behaviour. Ok he was (perhaps) "joking" in the honey scene, but how come Maomao's consent never once cross his mind? He can't just act as if women were his property.
Dec 12, 2023 2:43 PM
Mar 2019
This just gets better as it goes.
Maomao could have her own Detective show, and, i would watch it.
Dec 12, 2023 6:12 PM
Aug 2021
será que o Jinshi é filho do imperador????
Dec 13, 2023 1:32 AM
Apr 2021
Uruaki said:
but how come Maomao's consent never once cross his mind? He can't just act as if women were his property.

In this way he gives away his origins.
Dec 13, 2023 8:14 AM
Apr 2021
so... jinshi is the son of the current emperor and Ah duo...
does HE know it?
(asking for potential manga readers who might read this)
Dec 13, 2023 4:25 PM

Sep 2020
can we talk about how jinshi's behaviour is pretty blatant harassment? hello? it's not 'rizz'. maomao's very clearly not into it. like, can't he read faces? is he unable to see an expression of intence disgust on her face? you can't just force a girl to lick your fingers if she finds this idea disgusting and declines it very explicitly in all possible way, that's sexual assault.
Dec 13, 2023 5:43 PM

Feb 2009
Reply to nibelungsgold
can we talk about how jinshi's behaviour is pretty blatant harassment? hello? it's not 'rizz'. maomao's very clearly not into it. like, can't he read faces? is he unable to see an expression of intence disgust on her face? you can't just force a girl to lick your fingers if she finds this idea disgusting and declines it very explicitly in all possible way, that's sexual assault.
@nibelungsgold Yes! This! I mentioned this in mine (reply #76 in this thread)
and some of people in here even fantasised/squealed about it...
Dec 13, 2023 10:34 PM
Dec 2023
ชอบมาก
Dec 13, 2023 11:21 PM

Jun 2019
nibelungsgold said:

I'm not really sure what there is to talk about? He did it. It's not surprising. It's just another facet of his character. There are a lot of real people like this, even today, but especially in ancient or medieval China (which this technically isn't, but is like a high fantasy, alternate world analogue of) and the rest of the world along with it historically. So why is it something which doesn't fit or make sense or should somehow be read as shocking? It is what it is. Particularly when discussing series set in (or the equivalent of) hundreds or thousands of years ago. Hell, even a few decades ago socially and culturally things like that were more the norm even in what are considered the most economically and technologically-advanced countries. At least in that there were rarely laws or explicit policies against it. Would you consider it show-stopping or out of place when the characters ride horse-drawn carriages or don't use smartphones too?

And especially for high-ranking people who could get away with anything of the sort (this is still partially true, depending on the specifics and context). An important/high-ranking Chinese official close to the emperor's court? No one's going to care too much how they interact with a random peasant and if they did, it would only be concern for them debasing their own status and position, not out of concern for rights and privileges of the lower class common person. So in a legal sense, it wouldn't constitute "sexual assault" as the concept applied to that would be an alien, foreign one.
WatchTillTandavaDec 13, 2023 11:33 PM
Dec 14, 2023 12:09 AM
Apr 2021
Alex_the_reaper said:
does HE know it?

Watch the next episode and decide for yourself. I think so, but he convinces himself otherwise.
Dec 14, 2023 1:39 AM

May 2015
Mao Mao and the mystery of the honey.
Dec 14, 2023 1:18 PM

Jul 2010
It's Jinshi, the prince, who is the same age as Maomao. We all know he's not a eunuch. The problem arises in how he entered the rear palace and attained a significant position. It suggests a tragic story is unfolding, with the possibility that either the king or his mother is concealing his identity by presenting him as a eunuch. (I haven't read the manga/novels, so please avoid spoilers if anyone is familiar with the story, and even if my assumptions are incorrect).
Dec 15, 2023 11:48 AM

Jul 2016
So it's finally confirmed that Maomao's father used to work at the Palace and that she may have royal inheritance if the story is going where I think it's going. Man, this show's world sure is a small one.

antoninus_v said:
"If this was aconite syrup, I'd have just accepted it"

What do you mean Maomao!?!? You would be okay with licking his hand? Or did i misunderstand it? please tell me I was not the only one that misunderstood it

The episode explicitly stated that Maomao can't reject Jinshi's requests because he's way above her in terms of royal rank. If Gyokuyou wouldn't have shown up, Maomao would have had to lick the honey so at least she wished it was aconite syrup (poison) just to make the experience less denigrating.

AidanKieran said:
I am surprised no one here (I used keyword search with Jinshi's name in it) finds Jinshi's action is in this episode borderline predatory.
Because I feel so.

I find this behaviour creepy, regardless of how beautiful the person is.
And why would some of you even fantasise about it?

Jinshi's character acts like your typical shoujo dominant male MC and some people find this sort of attitude appealing. I don't think this is something new in the media, honestly.
Dec 16, 2023 9:16 AM

Nov 2015
what does she mean that jinshi has no balls?
Dec 16, 2023 3:12 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
"Oto-shan" what did you do? Well, in the next episode we will more about this event!!!

kekeke
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23

287 by Myrrahsm »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 17

257 by Scootboi »»
Yesterday, 7:14 PM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Softhenic03 - Oct 28, 2023

211 by kitsumasterzero »»
Sep 26, 1:50 PM

» This anime has no romance right?

Antera - Mar 27

19 by Merve2Love »»
Sep 25, 3:02 PM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

KANLen09 - Oct 21, 2023

214 by kitsumasterzero »»
Sep 25, 1:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.