Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 16, 2013 3:21 PM

Sep 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
And so it ends...

That last battle was pretty lackluster... I thought they could get some new form when tehy all combined, but apparently not. Susanoomon's BFS-BFG-combinationthing is weird...

And we didn't even have any battles in real world! Lucemon only managed to half-surface himself. :(

And Koichi is alive! Yay! I would have liked more if he would have stayed dead without any weird miracles saving him. That would have been nice drama, but alas they wanted perfect happy ending.

And Neemon finally got rubberband slapped after to bullying Neemon in every episode! YAY!
TsukajiMar 16, 2013 3:27 PM
Apr 21, 2013 6:43 PM

Nov 2011
Tears were shed and pixels were bled.

The ending with Kouji was kinda predictable. It's nice to see some of the earlier villains from the series one last time though. In some ways, I actually miss them.

Some things that turned me off a bit in this series are the fact that only two of the royal knights are introduced...where I believe there is at least 8 from the entire franchise. Oh and the fact that the real world is touched upon in the pilot and finale episode ONLY. Unlike the previous seasons, this season focused way too much in the digital world; far too much.

Also, poor J.P. I'm not sure if he ever got his feelings through to Zoe or if she even feels anything for him. Oh well, I still enjoyed this season somewhat. 6/10.
Apr 14, 2014 12:48 PM
Mar 2013
So Koichi survives! To be honest I was worried they were going to pull off an Oikawa on me like they did in the second season but I'm glad they didn't.

It was epic how each of the 10 spiritual warriors each had a stab at the Lucemon core. These past two episodes were fairly fun, but I agree with Stark in that this season was definitely weaker then the previous seasons.

It was disappointing that there wasn't as much focus on the real world this season. I remember that the real world was one of the best dynamics that kept the first two seasons and tamers going strong.

And even though there was literally no romance in this season, I can tell that Takuya and Zoe will probably be getting together based on that shippy scene in episode 46.
Nov 16, 2014 11:20 AM

Jun 2012
Koooooooiicchhhhhiiiiiii!!!!!! Im so glad hes alive. It would have been too sad for his mother if he was actually dead.

This was the only digimon I didnt watch in full as a kid so I only remember some parts of this as a kid but I couldve sworn there was one more evolution. I thought it was ancient evolution but that turned out to be Susannomon. If I remember right takyua's evolution was on all 4s. Let me check the digiwikia quickly.

Ok so if I read it correctly they have an extra evolution in a game. So maybe I played the game... I dunno I played a lot of digimon games. I really wished they would make more digimon games. imo digimon>pokemon.

Overall this digimon season was commozione. My only real complaint would be the episodic episodes.
Feb 29, 2016 2:08 PM

Oct 2011
The fights were quite boring, not only the last one. Most of them. If I remember right, the first 3 seasons had better fights. It was kind of weak how the season was handled and how the 6 of them acted. And that they never really had a chance during most fights and then suddenly dominate the enemies (and I'm not talking about the fights after their new evolutions).

Positive for me was that the season didn't really bore me and I could enjoy most of the episodes which kind of equalizes negative points. 6/10 for that matter.
Jul 8, 2016 9:22 AM

Feb 2013
Nice ending, Koichi was alive after all.
The final battle was a bit lame.
Dec 18, 2019 11:11 PM

Jan 2018
So this is the end. I started this season cuz... nostalgia?, now I want to re-watch all Digimon seasons. Seems odd that I started with this one, but I remember being nuts about Frontier when I was a kid. Now I can happily say that despite ALL of its flaws I really enjoyed this season, I mean... 10 year old kids fighting with their own hands, digivolving, being beaten up over an over again while learning to be less selfish? Count me in. I'm 100% sure is not one of the best seasons, but I hold it close to my heart. Aaaaaand I love to see them happy, if Koichi and Kouji smile, I smile too, plus lets be real Takuya x Zoe sure is a thing.
Mar 31, 2020 9:28 PM

Dec 2008
So, they did do a five-ranger combo! Turns out all they needed was to not ignore the other characters after all. I thought Patamon would be important but turns out it wasn't.

The ending with Kouji calling Kouichi "nii-san", omg. Must have been freaky for the doctors to have the near-dead kid they're treating run in. Glad he lived!

And I'm done, 17 years and 1 day after it ended, despite starting when it was current. Never give up on your on-hold series I suppose.

I really wanted to like Frontier, and there was a lot I really did like, but overall it wasn't as great as the Digimon series that came before it. I think it was a mistake to go full Super Sentai/Power Rangers, and I'm saying this as someone who likes both. It's missing a lot of what made Digimon, well, Digimon. The kids needed partner Digimon. They still could have transformed with them, like in Tamers, but they needed to exist outside spirits in the last episode. Except they didn't, oh well, and we have something that really wasn't much like what the audience had understood to be Digimon. As a transforming hero series I did really like it. All the characters were great and had good development from my view. But it could be pretty slow at times. I also thought it was missing a real world arc. The series could have been stronger if they went home then decided to come back and complete saving the digital world or something like that.

At the time Frontier was current I expected Digimon to become a series that rebooted with something new every year, like Super Sentai did/still does and Precure does now, and kinda blamed Frontier for being the reason that didn't happen, thinking they should have waited to mix things up this much. But maybe it's better this way. It probably saved us a lot of mediocre or bad series. Besides, there have been other Digimon series made after. None of them that I've really liked since Frontier though. (Might give Appli Monsters another chance, I heard it gets better.)

I'm really hoping the Adventure reboot that starts in a few days doesn't disappoint.
Dec 7, 2021 6:45 PM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
Last episode in a nutshell: apparently Fairymon can speak Italian as well...

...that's it. The fight itself was pretty uneventful with Susanoomon tanking hits until being able to counterattack and the chosen ones reuniting with Koichi who (surprise, surprise) wasn't dead after all, just unconscious.

I had to be reminded of their personal motives by the end since I'd pretty much forgotten about them. Only the ones from Koji, Koichi and Tomoki were developed in at least two episodes. Takuya only had that one furry episode and maybe something else while Junpei and Izumi were annoying all the way through the end and pretty useless in the second half.

Overall, I'm finally done with this series, hooray! To be fair, I did start enjoying it but then it became questionable, then it dragged A LOT with the Royal Knights being repetitive and boring and finally it ended just like that. Clearly the writing was the lowest point. So much time was wasted on uneventful episodes, not many characters' backstories were explored properly and there was quite the bag of inconsistencies scattered around (some of which I've already commented on).

I don’t have much to say in terms of the presentation since it looks and sounds how one would expect pretty much. Regarding the rest, clearly a wasted potential. Well, at least the characters did show emotions and were sometimes goofy (yes, my standards are very low coming from Adventure 2020 so I'll give some credit to that).

Hopefully once I start Savers in the future it won't be as bad as this.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Apr 29, 2022 6:47 AM

Jan 2021
Surprisingly better than I remembered it tbh like I don't even remember the characters being this good lol. Used to watch this as a kid but stopped midway not because I thought it was bad. I just stopped for no reason and kinda forgot. Now that I've gotten back to it, I've finally formed a really positive opinion about this season. I really enjoyed all the character-centric episodes. Everyone has their complexities even Junpei who I thought wasn't really that outstanding at first has shown some interesting sides whenever he's the focus of the episode. My favorite one has to be Tomoki though. I absolutely loved the whole thing about him being bullied and wanting to get revenge and then realizing it's not about getting back at his bullies but standing up to them and for others. His episodes were my favorite.

Story is nothing special honestly. Pretty much typical monster-of-the-week Digimon plot. Gotta say the cast is definitely the strongest point of Frontier because the narrative has been dragging on since the Royal Knights' reveal and the climax was honestly underwhelming. The show peaked at the middle part when Duskmon finally made a move. I really loved that dynamic between Takuya's confidence and recklessness in contrast to Koichi's more reserved way of handling things. Very much reminiscent of Taichi and Yamato but honestly most rivalry in Digimon is pretty much just rehashed Taichi Yamato anyway so idgaf anymore. This one was well executed to be fair so I'll give them that.

I know Digimon fans like to criticize this season for defeating the whole concept of Digimon but I honestly don't give a fuck if they sacrificed the marketable plush toys for more human screentime. In the end, this was still enjoyable in its own right anyway.

7/10

Probably my favorite behind Tamers
May 30, 2022 3:48 AM

Dec 2012
They survived.
Dat elevator.
Agnimon.
The spirits.
The scene from the ED theme.
Ophanimon, Seraphimon, and Cherubimon.
Lucemon Satan Mode.
They'll fight and create a new legend.
Where Koichi's hand come from?

And that was the end. It was ok. Let's just say I can see why there was no new digimon season right after this. Adventure still has the best ending and anything is better than 02. The only positive I have of this episode is the finisher with the spirits. That was cool. Got to see Ranamon oppai one last time. Surprised no one brought up Koichi hand holding up his digivice with everyone right before the group shinka scene to become Susanoomon. With that said...

I knew they wouldn't follow up on the Takuya and Izumi scene. They had 1 minute to do it, but chose to play the ED theme. You know what they did? They made Takuya and Izumi hold hands when they were inside Susanoomon. Poor decision to not follow up on it.

Shinka scenes: My favorite is Vritramon. Love his design and the way he drops down and moves. My 2nd favorite because I'm a man of culture is Fairymon. LAWD! Fairymon so fine. The amount of screenshots and gifs I took. Bless the staff for her. I would have stayed in the digital world for her.

Hand scans: My favorite Spirit Evolution hand scan is obvious because I stated it and why many times in past episodes... Takuya. Nuff said. 2nd is Izumi. 3rd is Koichi. Last is Koji. You know why. But hold it...

Hyper Spirit Evolution hand scan: My favorite is Koji. He redeemed himself from that boring moveset during Spirit Evolution. Everything about his Hyper scan was perfect and blue is my favorite color as well. A win all around. Just like I copied Takuya during his SE scene because his is my favorite, I copied Koji for his HSE scene.

Music: Frontier kept it simple like Adventure. Tamers had too many damn insert songs and just didn't know what to do with them. I love Koichi's 2 themes and thought those would be the highlight, but nope... AYUMI RETURNS WITH A BANGER for Hyper Spirit Evolution.. The Last Element is so damn amazing. OP and ED songs were great as expected of Kouji. My favorite part of the OP that I kept repeating was Kanau sa Kanau, Dekiru Dekiru sa. It's so addicting.

Izumi: While Izumi is obviously best girl, she only won 1 battle in the whole series. The staff made her lose every damn single battle. Even her debut battle as Fairymon. The only time she won was against Ranamon inside Sephirothmon, and she had to win that girl fight. That was a crazy decision to make.

Lastly, I will miss Izumi, Fairymon, Shutumon. I will also miss Neemon. How can you not love him.

And that's the end of my 20th anniversary watch.
RobJun 1, 2022 3:42 PM
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Jan 19, 2023 3:59 PM

Apr 2020
For a show targeted towards little kids , this was amazing.
water
Oct 25, 2023 6:32 AM

Nov 2012
just finished rewatching this again, still easily holds up, super under rated and unappreciated.

Can't count the amount of fan projects I've seen completely omit 04, hope it gets more love in the future!
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
Dec 4, 2023 8:49 AM
Dec 2023
Diferente a lo que estaba mirando, ya que no hay digimon acompañantes. Me pareció buena.
Mar 22, 11:05 AM
Aug 2017
Really solid still even today, Rewatched for nostalgia

More topics from this board

Poll: » Digimon Frontier Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 19, 2013

6 by LeonardoFrav »»
Apr 24, 2:33 PM

Poll: » Digimon Frontier Episode 22 Discussion

Tsukaji - Mar 2, 2013

10 by LeonardoFrav »»
Apr 10, 8:11 PM

Poll: » Digimon Frontier Episode 40 Discussion

emeraldrosary - Apr 14, 2014

10 by JVskunkape »»
Oct 25, 2023 2:04 AM

Poll: » Digimon Frontier Episode 37 Discussion

Tsukaji - Mar 13, 2013

10 by JVskunkape »»
Oct 25, 2023 1:02 AM

Poll: » Digimon Frontier Episode 36 Discussion

emeraldrosary - Apr 14, 2014

6 by JVskunkape »»
Oct 25, 2023 12:38 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.