Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Oct 13, 2023 6:19 AM
Oct 2020
This anime is not about romance at this point. I laughed my ass off while watching this episode, especially at the 'gods' 4th wall breaks about skipping content from the manga 😭
Oct 13, 2023 6:22 AM
Jun 2022
a romance mc that isnt dense!? wtf
Oct 13, 2023 7:02 AM

Aug 2022
Omg, what the hell this is so harem dude. And you still need 98 more girls to complete your 100 girlfriends, Lmao.

Anyways, this is great, for animation i like it so far. I like this one guys, i'll watch it until the end, lets gooo.
Oct 14, 2023 1:04 AM
Jul 2021
HansDevX said:
Another show I am going to hate watch and then hating myself for spending 20+ minutes on it on a weekend just like rent a girlfriend.

Another person who doesn't know shit about a series and judges it from episode 1 acting as if he cracked the code to good/bad series

I doubt you'll keep "hate" watching it considering there's hardly much to hate

The series is funny, wholesome with good characters, as someone who doesn't care for the horny/romance aspect, I can say with confidence this series (the manga) is one of my favorites of all time because it's always fresh and always fun, so if you wanna keep watching, I recommend you keep a clear mind and not go into it hating it or specifically loving it
Oct 14, 2023 1:28 AM
Jul 2021
auroraloose said:
Episode 1: The End of Harem History

So, what Nietzsche was trying to do with his philosophy was combat nihilism: He thought Christianity had exhausted itself and the world, that it was throwing the world away for an imaginary eternity, but he didn't want to lose the possibility of meaning religion supplies. He was worried people would slide from decadent religion, which already valued something imaginary as far as he was concerned, to not valuing anything at all, to a spirit of leveling and languishing where we are rather than excelling at anything and loving the earth and life. To do that he encouraged people to embrace new, courageous ideas—he called them new virtues—and thus exalt our ability to choose in life, and to choose difficult ways of life that shake people out of their decadent stupor. He did not believe it didn't matter what we chose, that lacking religious morality everything was permissible—because he hated the life of languishing, of cowardice, and of pettiness. This is why his hero, Zarathustra, is a strange preaching hermit who disdains even the pupils he gathers, that they might not become too attached to him and thus languish at his level rather than excel beyond, to the ubermensch. And Nietzsche hated justifications of mediocrity or suffering, the kind of self-denial that leads people to become self-righteous and act like they're more moral than everyone else. So he'd dislike the liberal defense of the poor as inherently disadvantaged, but he'd also dislike the conservative disdain of the poor because it acts like no violence was involved in creating the rich/poor divide. For Nietzsche it is the will that must be acknowledged in everything. We created our moral and historical condition, and we must take responsibility for and ownership of what we've done.

Obviously I am talking about why The 100 Girlfriends That Really, Really, Really, Really, REALLY Love You is terrible. And not only that, it is the worst: It is the Last Man of the harem genre. For behold: Rentaro is enslaved. He has no agency, he follows the harem track lay out for him, nothing is his fault, and what he must do is patiently suffer that he might receive some kind of reward. And there is no question of the reward, or that in the end he will deserve it. He undergoes great purgative struggles, already punching and dirtying himself, just as the old monastics tortured themselves to gain a heavenly reward—and in the end it is all for the show of it. The four-leaf clovers lose their value as talismans causing love and instead become mere signs of Rentaro's goodness. The world is emptied of meaning, even as a literal love god is invoked to explain the situation. It's all religion, linearity, and ease.

And there could be no greater contrast between Rentaro and Naoya, the ubermensch protagonist of Girlfriend, Girlfriend: Naoya has no standard virtue; his destiny is not fated even though he is in a harem anime. He has battled every step to keep his harem, and his dedication to it, and his own stubborn virtue, make him a champion of will. He embraces his stupid and will go where it leads, heedless of its end. He believes he can make that end. That which is absurd he makes his own honor, and thus he earns his girls.

And aside from this analysis actually kind of making sense, which is ridiculous enough, it also explains why Girlfriend, Girlfriend manages to be funnier than The 100 Girlfriends That Really, Really, Really, Really, REALLY Love You: The humor in this first episode was almost all of the meta, winking, dial-tropes-to-11 variety. Yes, show, I can see very well what the joke is. The only part that I actually liked was when tsundere screamed at seeing the confession and dropped all those cans everywhere. That was indeed a dialing-up, but of physicality rather than trope. All the love god humor was incredibly tiresome. Girlfriend, Girlfriend is funny because of Naoya's doubling down in everything, and because his harem becomes invested in playing out the logic of his harem virtue to its end.

I'm not sure how long I'll keep up with this; I usually stick around at least a few episodes when a show gives me this much to think about. But I think I'll end up deciding Renai Flops does this kind of thing better.

Imagine taking a comedy parody harem so seriously that you bring in philosophy

The point isn't whether Rentarou's path is set in front of him or not, it's whether he'll follow through to the end

The question isn't "will he get 100 girls" and is instead "who are these 100 girls" and "how will he handle having 100 girls" or even "how will this series achieve having 100 girls all at once"

The point isn't whether the protagonist will get 100 girls, it's whether he can maintain them all at once, and so far, with how far we've gotten with the manga... Yeah he, the author and the artist have been pretty great and have yet to go downhill

Kmk's characters didn't evolve in an interesting way, they stayed the same but just did different things. Saki's friend (forgot her name she's literally that unmemorable) is rich, unlucky and smart. Those are her 3 character basics but it seriously never goes anywhere, and the other characters are all just as bad...

So it's really funny when a harem that'll have 100+ characters has more interesting characters overall, sure episode doesn't give much but take this from me, these characters, considered socially unacceptable and that have essentially suffered much of their lives, watching them finally have someone that loves them despite their weird quirks and pasts, that's really touching, thus the wholesome aspect, and using these quirks and combining them with the evergrowing harem leads to new dynamics and new jokes, new groups.

This means the comedy has a pattern sure but the actual jokes themselves are about the characters, not the type of joke. In kmk, you have internet humor (the use of YouTube let's plays, hornybait, ntr, instant popularity, etc), you have typical harem dynamics (flat girl, tsundere girl, unlucky girl, perfect in everything but never shows it girl, dense and extremely stupid mc, etc), you have tsukkomi, you have every type of joke under the sun and yet they rarely mesh well together, ending up being an unfortunate hodgepodge of joke types that never really land.

100kano uses the specific character traits, Hakari is horny, high class, tactical, and it spins them multiple times as well as meshing them with other character traits, her tactical mindset accidentally slips through the cracks and she does something stupid, her high class nature is brought down by her horniness which causes her to act irrationally, her horny behavior leads to her thinking up plans to do... things... And it all keeps looping back, all these contradictory things mesh well because it leads to comedy based on contradictions.

Karane is brash, dishonest and a straight-man, being dishonest and a straight man are contradictory, her tsundere behavior, not being honest to herself, contradicts her turning down other people's absurd behaviors.

I'd explain this series as an orchestra with contradictions that somehow mesh well together. Sure the trumpets and violins and the strings shouldn't work together, but the end result is pretty great. This series doesn't need to follow established rules by philosophers or previous series to be good, it's good in its own right, and in fact, it's good because it does its own thing and still manages to be good. It prioritizes being itself, unique and interesting, over being safe and easy to recognize.

That's all, I hope you give this series a better shot, maybe read the manga if you're gonna turn it all down so damn fast, considering it's gonna be a while before the anime gets to some of the series best dynamics (this isn't a "the good part is 100 episodes in", this is a gradual increase in goodness, having 3 characters bounce off of each other will get old, so that's why you get a new character every now and then to shake up the character dynamics)
Oct 14, 2023 2:20 AM

May 2021
I am extremely happy . One of the best(if not the best ) no drama harem manga out there . The studio has done a wonderful job adapting the manga but also enhanced the experience. Can't wait for the next episode! Also Rentarou is the biggest chad!!! Also I really liked the Tokyo ghoul reference !!

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
Oct 14, 2023 2:58 AM

May 2015
Reply to Animillion
Why do people love this so much? It didn’t seem crazy good like you guys hyped it up to be, just fine. What’s so great about Rentarou? I know I’m going to hate the yuri in this but I’m only watching because people hype up the mc. Please enlighten me.
@Animillion

It’s literally one episode. I’ll never get why people ask questions like this when there’s 100+ chapters of content that people are talking about when they hype something up. Makes zero sense to expect to understand why they do that in one episode.

Oct 14, 2023 5:14 AM
Nov 2021
The anime is good but tbh I am getting girlfriend, girlfriend vibe from it ..like that anime also had multiple dating thing WITH PERMISSION but the idea of 100 is amazing in itself. Hope every girl gets enough screen time😂
Oct 14, 2023 6:42 AM

Sep 2013
Very fun, seems this one's gonna be a entertaining watch
sic mundus
Oct 14, 2023 7:12 AM

Feb 2021
The first episode the MC just got jackpot XD
- Mal-Badge -

Level 25
Ranked 1135
Last update : 27.02.2022 at 05:50

My Candies :

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Oct 14, 2023 12:20 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
This was a great first episode, heard about the manga so much years ago but didn't want to read since it had so few chapters when it started, seems like now might be the time.

Honestly, even without knowing the source this feels like a stellar adaptation, well directed, good budget and funny all the way, and most important very entertaining.
Oct 14, 2023 1:11 PM
Aug 2021
the absolute state of anime community when cheap fanservice garbage like this gets rated 8+
Oct 15, 2023 12:33 AM
Jul 2021
solrules said:
the absolute state of anime community when cheap fanservice garbage like this gets rated 8+

The absolute state of the haters not watching the actual anime in question and immediately assuming it's "cheap fanservice garbage"
Oct 15, 2023 4:29 AM
Oct 2021
omg what a great ep. i’ve never read the manga but after watching this i am defo going to start! probably my favourite of the season so far
Oct 15, 2023 9:22 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Is it too early to declare this AOTS??

I THINK NOT!
Oct 15, 2023 9:31 AM
Feb 2017
I can't say I dislike the plot. It will be truly amazing, I am hoping for the best harem anime ever.
Oct 15, 2023 2:15 PM
Jan 2010
Well... I understand the hype, but this show is just not for me. Might drop it...
Oct 15, 2023 2:23 PM

Oct 2012
100 girls? No problem, he just needs to trump Negima.
(even though it seems there are only five girls, really)

But seriously, there are now two anime with the same premise running in one season? Kanojo mo Kanojo was cloned?
Oct 15, 2023 5:43 PM

Sep 2023
Reply to TheColonel76
I was gonna watch this later today, but my nosy ass had to go and check the mal thread before I watched the episode, and after taking a glance at folks putting down other harem anime because of this one I just had to go ahead and watch it lol. And yeah, as an enjoyer of harem and romcom anime, this was good, the girls are very cute, they really gave Hanazono some of the best anime thighs I’ve ever seen too lol, and Inda is just a meme of a tsundere which is fine in my book, and there were quite a bit of funny moments too thanks to the absurd plot, Rentarou seems like a good MC as well with his over the top reactions to stuff.

All that being said tho, I don’t think this is better than every other harem anime out there, so I definitely think this is being overhyped with some of the posts I’m seeing about it. I also just wish folks could hype up or praise a show without putting down other shows in the same genre, I personally love Girlfriend Girlfriend and I think Season 2 will beat this show for me, the comedy I think is just better in general in Girlfriend Girlfriend, so it does kinda sadden me to see all the shade being thrown at other good harem anime because of this one.

But once again, I did like this and I’ll definitely be watching it every week, that ED was very cute too, definitely works as a way to come back down to earth after the wild ride of an episode.
@TheColonel76 Don’t take these comments to seriously, people are obviously having fun hyping it up because this one went waaaaaaay over the top.
Oct 15, 2023 6:02 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Reply to Pustul
@TheColonel76 Don’t take these comments to seriously, people are obviously having fun hyping it up because this one went waaaaaaay over the top.
@Pustul
Yeah I get it, it just kinda made me salty at the the time because I do like the respective shows that I saw mentioned, and I still am kinda salty about it lol
Oct 15, 2023 7:43 PM

May 2017
Reply to HPLwonder
auroraloose said:

So, what Nietzsche was trying to do with his philosophy was combat nihilism: He thought Christianity had exhausted itself and the world, that it was throwing the world away for an imaginary eternity, but he didn't want to lose the possibility of meaning religion supplies. He was worried people would slide from decadent religion, which already valued something imaginary as far as he was concerned, to not valuing anything at all, to a spirit of leveling and languishing where we are rather than excelling at anything and loving the earth and life. To do that he encouraged people to embrace new, courageous ideas—he called them new virtues—and thus exalt our ability to choose in life, and to choose difficult ways of life that shake people out of their decadent stupor. He did not believe it didn't matter what we chose, that lacking religious morality everything was permissible—because he hated the life of languishing, of cowardice, and of pettiness. This is why his hero, Zarathustra, is a strange preaching hermit who disdains even the pupils he gathers, that they might not become too attached to him and thus languish at his level rather than excel beyond, to the ubermensch. And Nietzsche hated justifications of mediocrity or suffering, the kind of self-denial that leads people to become self-righteous and act like they're more moral than everyone else. So he'd dislike the liberal defense of the poor as inherently disadvantaged, but he'd also dislike the conservative disdain of the poor because it acts like no violence was involved in creating the rich/poor divide. For Nietzsche it is the will that must be acknowledged in everything. We created our moral and historical condition, and we must take responsibility for and ownership of what we've done.

Obviously I am talking about why The 100 Girlfriends That Really, Really, Really, Really, REALLY Love You is terrible. And not only that, it is the worst: It is the Last Man of the harem genre. For behold: Rentaro is enslaved. He has no agency, he follows the harem track lay out for him, nothing is his fault, and what he must do is patiently suffer that he might receive some kind of reward. And there is no question of the reward, or that in the end he will deserve it. He undergoes great purgative struggles, already punching and dirtying himself, just as the old monastics tortured themselves to gain a heavenly reward—and in the end it is all for the show of it. The four-leaf clovers lose their value as talismans causing love and instead become mere signs of Rentaro's goodness. The world is emptied of meaning, even as a literal love god is invoked to explain the situation. It's all religion, linearity, and ease.

And there could be no greater contrast between Rentaro and Naoya, the ubermensch protagonist of Girlfriend, Girlfriend: Naoya has no standard virtue; his destiny is not fated even though he is in a harem anime. He has battled every step to keep his harem, and his dedication to it, and his own stubborn virtue, make him a champion of will. He embraces his stupid and will go where it leads, heedless of its end. He believes he can make that end. That which is absurd he makes his own honor, and thus he earns his girls.

And aside from this analysis actually kind of making sense, which is ridiculous enough, it also explains why Girlfriend, Girlfriend manages to be funnier than The 100 Girlfriends That Really, Really, Really, Really, REALLY Love You: The humor in this first episode was almost all of the meta, winking, dial-tropes-to-11 variety. Yes, show, I can see very well what the joke is. The only part that I actually liked was when tsundere screamed at seeing the confession and dropped all those cans everywhere. That was indeed a dialing-up, but of physicality rather than trope. All the love god humor was incredibly tiresome. Girlfriend, Girlfriend is funny because of Naoya's doubling down in everything, and because his harem becomes invested in playing out the logic of his harem virtue to its end.

I'm not sure how long I'll keep up with this; I usually stick around at least a few episodes when a show gives me this much to think about. But I think I'll end up deciding Renai Flops does this kind of thing better.

Imagine taking a comedy parody harem so seriously that you bring in philosophy

The point isn't whether Rentarou's path is set in front of him or not, it's whether he'll follow through to the end

The question isn't "will he get 100 girls" and is instead "who are these 100 girls" and "how will he handle having 100 girls" or even "how will this series achieve having 100 girls all at once"

The point isn't whether the protagonist will get 100 girls, it's whether he can maintain them all at once, and so far, with how far we've gotten with the manga... Yeah he, the author and the artist have been pretty great and have yet to go downhill

Kmk's characters didn't evolve in an interesting way, they stayed the same but just did different things. Saki's friend (forgot her name she's literally that unmemorable) is rich, unlucky and smart. Those are her 3 character basics but it seriously never goes anywhere, and the other characters are all just as bad...

So it's really funny when a harem that'll have 100+ characters has more interesting characters overall, sure episode doesn't give much but take this from me, these characters, considered socially unacceptable and that have essentially suffered much of their lives, watching them finally have someone that loves them despite their weird quirks and pasts, that's really touching, thus the wholesome aspect, and using these quirks and combining them with the evergrowing harem leads to new dynamics and new jokes, new groups.

This means the comedy has a pattern sure but the actual jokes themselves are about the characters, not the type of joke. In kmk, you have internet humor (the use of YouTube let's plays, hornybait, ntr, instant popularity, etc), you have typical harem dynamics (flat girl, tsundere girl, unlucky girl, perfect in everything but never shows it girl, dense and extremely stupid mc, etc), you have tsukkomi, you have every type of joke under the sun and yet they rarely mesh well together, ending up being an unfortunate hodgepodge of joke types that never really land.

100kano uses the specific character traits, Hakari is horny, high class, tactical, and it spins them multiple times as well as meshing them with other character traits, her tactical mindset accidentally slips through the cracks and she does something stupid, her high class nature is brought down by her horniness which causes her to act irrationally, her horny behavior leads to her thinking up plans to do... things... And it all keeps looping back, all these contradictory things mesh well because it leads to comedy based on contradictions.

Karane is brash, dishonest and a straight-man, being dishonest and a straight man are contradictory, her tsundere behavior, not being honest to herself, contradicts her turning down other people's absurd behaviors.

I'd explain this series as an orchestra with contradictions that somehow mesh well together. Sure the trumpets and violins and the strings shouldn't work together, but the end result is pretty great. This series doesn't need to follow established rules by philosophers or previous series to be good, it's good in its own right, and in fact, it's good because it does its own thing and still manages to be good. It prioritizes being itself, unique and interesting, over being safe and easy to recognize.

That's all, I hope you give this series a better shot, maybe read the manga if you're gonna turn it all down so damn fast, considering it's gonna be a while before the anime gets to some of the series best dynamics (this isn't a "the good part is 100 episodes in", this is a gradual increase in goodness, having 3 characters bounce off of each other will get old, so that's why you get a new character every now and then to shake up the character dynamics)
Thanks for reading and replying. My primary goals in posting stuff are always (i) working out my own thoughts about a show, and (ii) seeing what other people have to say about them.

Analyzing details of comedy is difficult, and requires a shared notion of what to value and what is impressive. We could argue which show is funnier, and I think I'm right to say it's Girlfriend, Girlfriend (I'm a CR person and thus tend go with its naming and stylizations), but I think that'd take thousands of words to work out, and I'm not that invested. Instead, I care more about justifying what I was doing:

Why shouldn't I pull out all the literary and philosophical stops analyzing a trashy harem anime? As an example problem for literary criticism anime like this is particularly easy to analyze—and analyzing anime is where I first put my newfound literary criticism knowledge to practice (taking apart SaeKano: Flat, a truly malevolent work). So I've been having fun doing analyzes of silly things like this for years. And why shouldn't we take our trash seriously? As Nietzsche would say, we have used our wills collectively as a civilization to make harem anime; what does that mean for the kind of beings we are? There are tons of implications. In particular I think there's a difference between taking The 100 Girlfriends That Really, Really, Really, Really, REALLY Love You seriously and taking literary criticism and the analysis of human artistic output seriously. I don't think anybody would publish such analysis in a humanities journal; I do think I can enjoy bullshitting about it. Finally, bringing in the book I read recently isn't much different from invoking another anime in analyzing this one. We all use our own banks of experience and knowledge in talking about anime; modern philosophy and literary criticism (and theoretical physics) is just my background perspective on stuff.

Given all that, you can imagine why I might like Girlfriend, Girlfriend: I appreciate its characters' absurd dedication to their particular causes and goals, as I promulgate my own brand of absurdity. You're right that, as of yet at least, nobody in Girlfriend, Girlfriend is changing their ways; what they're doing is discovering the implications of their own personalities and choices. That is also development. They have all changed in what they're willing to do and accept; they had no idea they would do this until it happened. Girlfriend, Girlfriend is about the absurd implications of taking having a harem seriously, and more generally the absurd implications of taking one's values to the extreme. The most recent episode (episode 2 of season 2) shows that these clashing values produce more than enough humor for one episode. I was impressed with how well the most recent episode went.

Anyway, I will indeed keep watching for a few episodes at least; as I said, I always stick around at least a little longer when a show gives me something interesting to think about. But I doubt anything will change my opinion, because I think the humor is mostly stale.
"He who writes for fools always finds a large public. A precondition for reading good books is not reading bad ones: for life is short."
—Arthur Schopenhauer
Oct 15, 2023 10:18 PM
Dec 2020
Fuck Harem Anime of the old! This is the ultimate Harem anime of all time!
Oct 16, 2023 7:25 AM
Jul 2018
They missed out not using Steel Panther as the OP:

If you really really really really love me
Then you really really really gotta show me
Don't whine when I put it in your booty
Or if I'm up all night playing Call of Duty
Never hassle me because I'm unemployed
If I sleep all day don't get annoyed
Then I'll know that you really really really really really really really love me
If you really really love me

If I have sex with your friend Melanie
Don't act like it's some kind of felony
It's not uncommon for this kind of infidelity
It happens to a lot of guys like Tiger Woods and me
Just be happy that I'm hung like a horse
And you get to ride the pony of course
'Cause I'm really really really really really really
Really really fond of you too

When you think it's really suckie girl
All your friends will say 'you lucky girl'
You got a man who's hot you say
All the girls wanna be with me
'Cause they love me
They really really love me
Yes they do
Oct 16, 2023 2:55 PM

Sep 2023
Reply to TheColonel76
@Pustul
Yeah I get it, it just kinda made me salty at the the time because I do like the respective shows that I saw mentioned, and I still am kinda salty about it lol
@TheColonel76 Sure I understand, I also prefer Kanojo mo Kanojo to this one because I like more “realistic” (😅) settings in general but I am curious to see how this anime is gonna manage such a huge number of girlfriends.
Oct 16, 2023 5:21 PM
Jan 2013
Reply to Shinuki_n_Reborn
@genesic123 This is a Young Jump series, a seinen.
@Shinuki_n_Reborn

You will get what i mean as you watch the series.It references shonen jump anime a lot.

Rentaro is an amazing harem lead because of his over the top ,shonen jump like way he wins girls over.He is different from Keima,who is the cool calm calcuating harem lead.

Oct 17, 2023 4:14 AM

Jul 2021
goddamn man this was soooooooooo good. top-tier animation and the comedy is nice as well. the two girls we saw are literally S-tier women- extremely cute. the mc is likable as far as first episode goes, someone i can root for. he's one lucky lucky man. imagine a 100 of those S-tier women. sheesh.

coming to animation again, the colour palette is so great, it is so vibrant and colorful. the opening shot with the sakura tree was so pretty to loot at.

also the character designs of the girls are just something else. it just makes them look so much cuter. their blushing cheeks, those big lovely eyes, that expressions. just top-tier stuff man. the tropes were funny af. also the frequent breaking of 4th wall was great as well. i had a blast watching this episode and laughed audibly multiple times.

really looking forward to next episode also i really wish they would explore the personalitites, life and background of all the girls they cover in this season so we can know and learn more about the girls along with the mc.

5/5 epsiode. no wonder this is so high rated. absolutely deserved with this banger of a first episode.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Oct 17, 2023 11:26 PM
Aug 2020
great animation and comedy lol
Oct 18, 2023 5:41 AM
Jan 2023
Eu não sou fã de harém onde o protagonista fica com todas, mas esse parece interessante, então eu vou dar uma chance. espero que ele consiga dar um jeito nesse bglh das morte doida e fique com somente uma.
Oct 18, 2023 1:18 PM

Sep 2017
Lmao that was stupid as fuck. The 4th wall breaking jokes were hilarious. It doesn't take itself or it's characters seriously at all tho so I'm on board. Hopefully it doesn't start to try and take it's characters seriously because idk imma be able to really get invested in them when they are walking tropes to the extreme/subject to ridiculous camera angles and comically short skirts.
Oct 20, 2023 4:47 PM
Aug 2023
this anime was really enjoyable and funny, especially Karane's tsundere personality
Oct 21, 2023 3:39 AM

May 2021
Dude's telephone pole has gotta be the luckiest in the world. Don't think we're gonna see it used though, unfortunately.

Of course, if I was in his place, my biggest concern would be trying to remember their freaking names in the first place...

Oct 21, 2023 4:47 PM
Jan 2020
I mean he’s really living every man’s dream
Oct 21, 2023 8:47 PM
Dec 2022

the mole placement is so stupid 🤣🤣🤣
fgowyOct 21, 2023 8:50 PM
Oct 21, 2023 10:11 PM

Mar 2013
I cringed over a hundred times watching this series.
Man, I thought this was another romance, but it's actually a parody. It's rather refreshing to see a tsun finally in action, it has been a while.

The intro, however, looks like a/an isekai trope which weirded me out at first.

What a fun series.

P.S. I still don't like affairs IRL like Kanojo mo Kanojo but for a fictional show, it's decent enough.
CrazyButNot4UOct 25, 2023 6:00 PM
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Oct 22, 2023 2:41 AM
Dec 2020
Cool episode, the animation and seiyus are way too good
Oct 23, 2023 6:03 PM
May 2015
I honestly thought this show wouldn't be for me, but I am pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed it. Not saying I'm 100% hooked, but its much better than I expected.
Oct 24, 2023 7:50 PM
Jan 2017
the voice actress line up is so stacked this show must cost a bomb to make just paying all of them (and 98 more)
Oct 26, 2023 11:14 AM

Oct 2018
This shit is way funnier than I expected.
Oct 26, 2023 7:55 PM

Apr 2023
Rewatching Saiki.K and saw Rentarou in an ep...lol so that's why this name feels familiar to me
Oct 27, 2023 4:38 PM
Oct 2023
Reply to auroraloose
Thanks for reading and replying. My primary goals in posting stuff are always (i) working out my own thoughts about a show, and (ii) seeing what other people have to say about them.

Analyzing details of comedy is difficult, and requires a shared notion of what to value and what is impressive. We could argue which show is funnier, and I think I'm right to say it's Girlfriend, Girlfriend (I'm a CR person and thus tend go with its naming and stylizations), but I think that'd take thousands of words to work out, and I'm not that invested. Instead, I care more about justifying what I was doing:

Why shouldn't I pull out all the literary and philosophical stops analyzing a trashy harem anime? As an example problem for literary criticism anime like this is particularly easy to analyze—and analyzing anime is where I first put my newfound literary criticism knowledge to practice (taking apart SaeKano: Flat, a truly malevolent work). So I've been having fun doing analyzes of silly things like this for years. And why shouldn't we take our trash seriously? As Nietzsche would say, we have used our wills collectively as a civilization to make harem anime; what does that mean for the kind of beings we are? There are tons of implications. In particular I think there's a difference between taking The 100 Girlfriends That Really, Really, Really, Really, REALLY Love You seriously and taking literary criticism and the analysis of human artistic output seriously. I don't think anybody would publish such analysis in a humanities journal; I do think I can enjoy bullshitting about it. Finally, bringing in the book I read recently isn't much different from invoking another anime in analyzing this one. We all use our own banks of experience and knowledge in talking about anime; modern philosophy and literary criticism (and theoretical physics) is just my background perspective on stuff.

Given all that, you can imagine why I might like Girlfriend, Girlfriend: I appreciate its characters' absurd dedication to their particular causes and goals, as I promulgate my own brand of absurdity. You're right that, as of yet at least, nobody in Girlfriend, Girlfriend is changing their ways; what they're doing is discovering the implications of their own personalities and choices. That is also development. They have all changed in what they're willing to do and accept; they had no idea they would do this until it happened. Girlfriend, Girlfriend is about the absurd implications of taking having a harem seriously, and more generally the absurd implications of taking one's values to the extreme. The most recent episode (episode 2 of season 2) shows that these clashing values produce more than enough humor for one episode. I was impressed with how well the most recent episode went.

Anyway, I will indeed keep watching for a few episodes at least; as I said, I always stick around at least a little longer when a show gives me something interesting to think about. But I doubt anything will change my opinion, because I think the humor is mostly stale.
auroraloose said:
My primary goals in posting stuff are always (i) working out my own thoughts about a show, and (ii) seeing what other people have to say about them.

You know what, alright, sure.

auroraloose said:

I'm going to be honest, I'm still in a bit of disbelief over someone invoking Nietzsche in an analysis of a harem anime, but you seem to be doing it in all sincerity, so I'll try to be as good faith as I can. I'm only replying with my thoughts because I've continued thinking back to this post for days after reading it, alarmed, but also trying to articulate how I disagree with it. Here's the framing I'll come from: I haven't read or watched Girlfriend, Girlfriend, so I can't speak on that series. I'm assuming you've watched episodes 2 and 3 of 100 Girlfriends, and I would hope they would better outline the kind of appeal this series can have, but this post is about episode 1, so let's stick with that. In that same vein, I won't appeal to anything that's happened in the 150+ chapters of the manga past what episode 1 covers.

Let's start with comparing the setup of 100 Girlfriends to the kind of religious morality that Nietzsche criticizes. As you mentioned, Nietzsche had felt that Christian morality had run its course in the Western world and that we would have to create our own morality if we were to develop any further. Already, I feel that this comparison falls apart: God is the perfect religious center of a society based on Christianity. This is not what the god shown in 100 Girlfriends is, or is shown to be. The god of love, as he's called, is a comical character whose clerical mishap is the genesis of the entire story: he was distracted and accidentally made a mistake on his paperwork. Hence, Rentarou's "reward" isn't meant to be the result of his unfailing moral character, it's the result of divine error (and, in the Christian view, God is beyond error, further separating this deity from what you could consider the center of a religious framework of morality.)

Moving on to Rentarou himself: It's not true that Rentarou is placed on a set path with no choices to be made. He has choices, outlined in the first episode. He could choose any number of the 100 soulmates he's destined to meet, and leave the rest to die. Obviously, by any reasonable moral framework, this isn't exactly ideal. It's not unlike the trolley problem: his deliberate, knowing inaction would ultimately lead to suffering and death. All the same, that's an option available to him, not unlike the main character of any story refusing the call to adventure. That's an option available to them, but that's not the option they take, because that's not what this story is about. The Lord of the Rings is not about Frodo refusing to take the ring to Mount Doom. That's a different story. Another of Rentarou's options: he could try to date each of them separately, in secret, ensuring they all live (so long as he can maintain this approach), and that they all enjoy a relationship with the man they love. Rentarou himself explains why he refuses that option, too: his character and background inform his worldview, and his worldview is that love is something that shouldn't be played around with. He wants to be sincere and open, the way that he wishes to be treated himself. The fact that he's fated to have 100 soulmates doesn't mean he's fated to create a 100 girl harem: that he chooses to do that is the result of his will.

The third point I wanted to touch on: the concept of fate itself as presented in this work. Rentarou goes to a shrine and prays for a girlfriend. His prayers are literally answered, 100 times over. But the catch to this is only revealed later on. The catch being, it's a matter of love or death. Rentarou is not being rewarded for his unfailing moral character in that moment: he is subject to the whims of fate and the carelessness of those above him. If anything, I'd liken this to a tale of Greek myth, more than anything else. The divine is shown to be imperfect, and yet that imperfection has a profound impact on the world of man. This story is then, in that sense, about man contending with fate, contending with the divine, contending with man (girlfriends), and about man contending with the prospect of a burden that will only continue to grow. Any logical person could think about dating 100 women at once and immediately identify why this would be far more effort and energy than it could possibly be worth. Rentarou's character is what transforms that burden into something else: he values love, above all, and he gladly takes it upon himself to share and accept as much love as others are willing to share with him.

Anyway, you don't have to like this series, it's fine if you don't. If you don't think it's funny, then it's just not for you. Oh well. I just felt that your initial impressions were somewhat misguided.
Oct 28, 2023 4:54 PM
Nov 2022
Looking forward to watching the rest...
Oct 29, 2023 2:53 AM
Sep 2021
Liked the comedy, liked the girls. Excited for all the 98 girls who are coming next.
Oct 29, 2023 1:54 PM
Anime Archivist

Aug 2019
And so the journey of 100 GFs begins. I can't say I'm a fan of the eyebrows on the guy, maybe that's why the dude got 100 rejections before.

But I guess this anime marks the turning point in that love misfortune. You no longer have to worry about a romantic partner you've been hunting since 8 months old, all from a clerical error by the love God which could have easily been avoided. To watch a movie while filling out paperwork, that's the kind of stuff that ruins you. And the explosion in that movie is what made that 100? Geez.

MC is looking out for two girls simultaneously so I guess there's some merit to that. He's going to protect them both. I don't know about how good this will become later tho.
Oct 30, 2023 3:21 AM
Sep 2021
The episode showcase that the main character still has the loyalty but he couldn't let the girls die so...
Oct 30, 2023 10:37 PM

Oct 2023
I gave this anime a try because the concept of a boy having 100 girlfriends seems insane, but the episode ended up being funnier than I expected. I liked the 4th wall breaking jokes the most, but the entire episode was pretty funny as well. I'm looking forward to seeing how Rentarou finds a way to love his 2 new girlfriends and his 98 future girlfriends equally.
Oct 31, 2023 10:28 AM

Oct 2022
OMG it's the anime version of eyebrows guy.
-Login to mal
-Looks at notifications
-Three messages deleted
"Oh no"
Oct 31, 2023 6:52 PM

Oct 2023
I just finished watching Kimi no Suizou wo Tabetai before this so I'm glad that this show made me laugh as much as it did to make up for all the bawling that I just did over the past hour.

I enjoyed the comedy that this show provides overall and I'm looking forward to watching how the author somehow creates 100 unique girlfriends that all love Rentarou.
Nov 1, 2023 6:54 AM

Apr 2011
This is really hilarious. The animation quality is topnotch. The girls are cute as well.

So there are 5 girls he's gonna have this season based on the ED.
Nov 2, 2023 8:31 AM
Jun 2014
I do hope this show can maintain relevance for all the girls it will have in the future. I wonder how many parodies they will do based off of other shows lol.
Nov 4, 2023 1:05 AM
Oct 2023
They need change the title by the way

"The 100 Girlfriends Who Really, Really, Really, Really, Really Love Your eyebrows"
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kimi no Koto ga Daidaidaidaidaisuki na 100-nin no Kanojo Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 10, 2023

181 by LastLuminescence »»
Sep 25, 9:20 PM

Poll: » Kimi no Koto ga Daidaidaidaidaisuki na 100-nin no Kanojo Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 17, 2023

166 by ebiiwewok »»
Sep 25, 11:24 AM

Poll: » Kimi no Koto ga Daidaidaidaidaisuki na 100-nin no Kanojo Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 24, 2023

205 by L0ken »»
Sep 16, 11:22 PM

Poll: » Kimi no Koto ga Daidaidaidaidaisuki na 100-nin no Kanojo Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 15, 2023

192 by Milo980 »»
Sep 15, 8:38 AM

Poll: » Kimi no Koto ga Daidaidaidaidaisuki na 100-nin no Kanojo Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 26, 2023

140 by Penguinu »»
Aug 24, 1:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.