Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (35) « First ... « 15 16 [17] 18 19 » ... Last »
Jan 12, 2010 4:43 PM

Jun 2009
It's terrible.

Just give as an option to chose from those 2 in the options panel and all will be fine. Those that like it will use it, those that don't will use the old one. Byt don't FORCE people to use something new without any alternative.
Jul 2008
I also like the new layout and such, maybe there can be some minor changes but it's nothing I can complain about :) Always great with a fresh restart, right?
Check out my YouTube channel, all about retro and smaller games:

https://www.youtube.com/c/Teedyan

Jan 2008
Oh, and my anime list is fucked. Yay.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jan 12, 2010 4:44 PM

Jul 2008
Wasabi said:
I think the main logo at the top of the page is jussstttt a little bit too big.

no. it's too big! but everything else is fine :)
Jan 12, 2010 4:44 PM
Aug 2009
I like it, its has a more clear "frame" and imo is kept a lil bit more simplier.
The only thing I dont like is the space the banners and the logo waste. If it was in one line, it would be okay, but this is too much imo
Jan 12, 2010 4:45 PM

Jul 2008
I like this. Much better than the old one.

I only have one problem; it now takes 2 clicks for me to go to the forums, instead of one. That part should be fixed. Everything else is superior.
Jan 12, 2010 4:47 PM

May 2007
I want my side bar, I hate it
My anime list
Jan 12, 2010 4:47 PM
Aug 2009
Its Alright, but its going take some time to get used to.
Jan 12, 2010 4:48 PM

Aug 2008
i like the old one better );
now theres just this big space on the left
where the nav use to be ):
lol
Jan 12, 2010 4:50 PM

Oct 2008
The drop down menus are covered by the advertisments, very annoying.
Jan 12, 2010 4:51 PM

May 2009
Blutsauger said:
I dunno why but the add by Google is on top of the slide menu so I rly can't select half of the things - I'm with IE8

I'm having the same problem.
QuothTheRaven said:

install Firefox and get the Adblock Plus addon -> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865

I tried this, it's not working, the ad is hidden, but the menu is still blocked behind it. Plus, this ad at the top is a real eyesore, it's my only problem with the new layout, if it can be moved elsewhere, it would be fine, if not, I prefer the old MAL then.
Jan 12, 2010 4:53 PM

Oct 2008
Whenever you hit the enter button it brings up a random search with the same couple of animes listed. Even if you are in a different search box. It is annoying to click search everytime.
Jan 12, 2010 4:53 PM

Dec 2009
I don't find much of a difference so I'm neutral.
Jan 12, 2010 4:54 PM

Sep 2008
The white burns my eyes.

Nov 2009
i like the old one too..

the sidebar looks cool and unique for mal..imo
and its big lol..so spacey XD

Dec 2007
well, change is always refreshing and the logo and background looks cool. But navigation is just a little weird now, and I noticed that the upper menus submenus pops downwards behind an ad, so you can't click on what's behind. Dunno if it's only me, but... anyway, old was better
Jan 12, 2010 4:56 PM

Jul 2009
nextday said:
Navigation is annoying, I preferred it being on the left.

If you aren't willing to change it back, then perhaps make an option to use the old style.

Yes. This.

Overall it isnt horrible. It loads slower than the old one, the navigation lags for me if the page hasnt fully loaded the images and such, which is an annoying inconvience if I click the wrong link and want to just jump where I had meant to. There is about a 2inch gapping space at the very top of the layout that "appears" to have an image there with a .php extention that drags my page down. I have a script blocker and such so this might be just me. Its annoying though because I have to scroll to see things I didnt used to have to scroll.

I can live with it centered, but with the popularity of widescreen monitors the navigation being on top really doesnt make sense to me when having it on the side is so much easier to use. The bubble background is also not showing up for me anywhere but when viewing my profile page.
Jan 12, 2010 4:57 PM

Apr 2008
Sam_J said:
well, change is always refreshing and the logo and background looks cool. But navigation is just a little weird now, and I noticed that the upper menus submenus pops downwards behind an ad, so you can't click on what's behind. Dunno if it's only me, but... anyway, old was better

Happens to me too.

Jan 12, 2010 4:58 PM

Jul 2008
well i like the new login popup XD
makes it seem professional and new XD
but kinda 2 white atm, unless skins will be made (ofc over time)
and i miss the left navigation bar XD
+ forgot to mention it's too wide XD
Jan 12, 2010 4:58 PM

Jan 2009
After some navigating for a few hours... I came to the conclusion that I DON'T like it the way it is now. And don't know why, but it seems far too whiter. That kills my eyes... They are too sick already, so this will eventually kill them, as I spend here at least 3-4 hours per day..

I already mentioned that it's too wide. ALso, this:

I know I'm half blind but no need to stretch it THAT much ;_; And yes... Now it's a pain to read here...So wide...
Jan 12, 2010 4:59 PM

Aug 2007
i'm okay with it. i liked the navigations on the left, but what the heck. i'm glad it changed, because when i joined, it was just a few months after MAL turn from green to blue.
Jan 12, 2010 4:59 PM
Jul 2018
jaelyndari said:
derp 2 inch gap.

yea thats probably the brand new GIANT ass logo of mal u dont see.
Jan 12, 2010 5:00 PM

Feb 2009
My first impressions:

Positive

• First-time user friendly and cleaner: The drop-down menu at the top, organized by categories, makes it clearer, imo, especially for first-time users. The old menu had way to many options and it could've been confusing for someone that didn't know the site that well. Everything just seems much more clean now.
  • More space for content: The menu being at the top gives much more space to the content, this is especially good for forum browsing for example and viewing user-posted images.
  • iPhone friendlier: Okay nobody probably cares about this but I do. :p Bigger menu links means I don't have to zoom just to click on something.

Negative (mostly nit-picking)

• Drop-down menu: I know I just praised this in the positive points but let's face it, drop-down menus aren't that popular anymore. Also I don't think anything you want the user to click, or you think he would want to click, should be hidden. Maybe tabs can be used instead? Although you're still hiding things and it would become a hassle once there are too many sub-categories in a category, but hey, amazon figured it out. :D Just went to amazon.com, I fragged myself. -_-
  • Empty space: The menu has been moved to the header but the rest didn't change, which leaves a lot of empty space on some pages.
  • No numeric indicators: Before the menu showed me right away how many new messages, club invitations, friend requests, etc... I had. Now it's not the first thing I see when I come to MAL. Maybe an utility bar (static or dynamic) would be better for new messages, friend requests and club invitations?
  • Categories don't make sense: Some category names don't make sense. For example Profile has links like "Reviews", "Clubs" and "Logout". Why would I hover on "Profile" to see my "Clubs" or even to "Logout"? Of course anybody that's not retarded can still figure it out, but I still find it inconsistent, I don't how a first-time user would react too.
  • Wrong organization of links in categories: "Top Favorites" should be in Community instead of Industry. "Clubs" in Profile should be renamed "My Clubs" as there's already a "Clubs" link in Community.
  • Click distance: Now I'm 2 clicks away from what I want (even though technically I'm hovering first, than clicking) and I'm not counting the time to hover on what I want, re-search what I want, then finally click. This can be especially annoying when the site lags since there's the js source load time, then it probably waits for the page ready state.
  • Logo size: Okay I know I'm on MyAnimeList.net, I don't need a giant logo with... nothing around it (beside ugly bubbles) to remind me that. :D

All in all, I believe this a step forward, one quarter step back, since most of the problems I noticed are minor issues and nothing that can't be solved without a global turn-over. I definitely won't go back to the old layout but this one still needs some improvements of course. Some things might need to be rethought (although I'm not helping at all but just saying that :D) and details need to be fixed, imo.

Then again, like the old menu, I still think it's more of a menu that came out of a programmer's head than a navigation tool for stupid users on the interweb. If it was only me, there wouldn't be sub-categories, so no drop-down menu at all. Like on last.fm, you don't know where the heck you are but you can always go easily to wherever you want. :D But that's a different issue. ;)

Great job nonetheless, good to see this site improving each day. :)
AlexstratzJan 13, 2010 4:39 AM
Jan 12, 2010 5:01 PM

Oct 2009
I don't understand what you all have against this new design. I really like the menu at the top of all pages. This way I have a single way of going to the page I want whichever page I'm currently on. And from what I could see, most of the pages didn't change at all.
For the problem with the ads... I guess you'd have to relocate the ads somewhere else. The only idea I have is above the menu, but it wouldn't look good...

I don't have any issue with the big logo but that must be because I have a big screen (1920x1200). You could make it smaller (for example 50px high instead of 122px) for those with a smaller screen (test the site with a 1024x768 resolution).
Jan 12, 2010 5:02 PM

Feb 2008
I personally think that the new change is fine, and good job to Xinil for his hard work. The only technical problem is that the logo is too big, as many have said before, but that's quite a simple change if it happens. I personally prefer the side bar, but the only reason I do so is because I'm familiar with it. I'll also get used to this new layout, eventually, so don't listen to all the haters and keep up the good work.

Removing the sidebar gives more space for profiles and clubs, which means less scrolling down for some of us. I support this. But what is the point of having such a small fixed width? We need to keep up with the times, and the content area is way too small. Sure, if we make it bigger, monitors with 800 x 600 resolution will have to scroll sideways. But for the majority of us with a higher resolution monitor, we get too much blank space on the side. You can just add back the sidebar while keeping the current content width.

And of course, having an option to use old or new layouts would be good too.

(Rotating Signature | Member Cards are fun~)

[Notes on Signature]124 - 172 KB, Width: 140px

Jan 12, 2010 5:03 PM

Sep 2008
meh... its so spacey, put back the navigation and layout to the left plz.

people love MAL because this site very simple, nuff said.
Jan 12, 2010 5:05 PM
Jul 2009
I got to page 15 and then gave up on reading 30 more pages of people saying all the same things. I'm going to say the same things too, because I'm really against this new layout.

I dislike it. The change was jarring when I logged on today, and it's a drag on my poor old laptop. My main beef is the navigation; drop-down menus are always bad, and scroll-over drop-down menus are worse. It's really inconvenient to have it all stuck at the top of the screen, and it's all-around unintuitive. It's really wide and stretched-out-looking, too, and it seems like there could be a much better use for all this white space.

Not to sound dramatic, but the change could affect my membership on the site. I joined this site because it was a convenient way to do just what it advertised: keep track of the anime I watch. One click, bam, done. It was simple and easy and I could pop-in-pop-out comfortably. I did not join this site for social networking, and now that it's clumsily taken the trendy Web 2.0 wannabe-Facebook/MySpace curve, it's unattractive, unwieldy, and difficult to use for its intended purpose.

I'd rather keep track of my anime with a spreadsheet.
Jan 12, 2010 5:05 PM

Oct 2007
fertygo said:

Yeah. increased reliance on Javascript for site navigation = bad
Jan 12, 2010 5:07 PM

May 2007
I'm not a fan of this new design. Some people might be and that's fine, it would have been nice if we'd been given an option to change it back to the old layout.
I hate World of Warcraft

Jan 12, 2010 5:08 PM

Jun 2009
I think I feel... disoriented.... with this new layout.... O_O

Jan 12, 2010 5:09 PM

Aug 2008
I have no problem with the navigation. Things I don't like is the huge ass logo and the background design. It's ugly looking.
Jan 12, 2010 5:11 PM

Dec 2007
I can't even click pbecause the ad is blocking alot of my buttons. -.-''
Jan 12, 2010 5:13 PM

Nov 2008
It fine for me..
Jan 12, 2010 5:15 PM

Sep 2008
llxwarbirdxll said:
fertygo said:

Yeah. increased reliance on Javascript for site navigation = bad

yep, and i use the sidebar almost 80% when i'm on here. now i must scroll back to the top or retype the URL if want go to mypanel etc. = BAD IDEA.
HalberdierRetsel said:
I can't even click pbecause the ad is blocking alot of my buttons. -.-''
THIS.
Jan 12, 2010 5:16 PM

Mar 2009
It looks good and is easy to use, but the gradient title with reflection is the epitome of cliche in web 2.0
"When he will, the weary world
Of the senses closely curled
Like a serpent round his heart
Shakes herself and stands apart."
- A.C., Equinox I/I

Apr 2008
I can't find the log out button!

EDIT: i found it =p

Aug 2008
It "looks" good.

But I do not think I like the new navigation.
I liked being able to see it "all at once" on my left. Much easier to use that way.

I agree it also looks like myspace with how the navigation is, lol.

Far as that goes, nothing else to complain about. I have no lag or anything.

I like how the "MyAnimeList" looks at the top. Also how things have gotten wider.

I just don't think I like the condensed navigation. Yes it looks more professional, but it's not as....efficient?

Maybe it'll grow on me. But I doubt it. Because I did not like it when myspace made that change too. It just makes it more difficult for me to get to my stuff. In other words, it bugs me.

I say put the menu back on the left, create a new thread with a poll.
And see what every one thinks then :).

Or give us an option to choose between which...that would be great.

The change is refreshing though.

And for the people with lag...are you all still on dial up? Zero lag here. Zero navigation drop down lag. And I don't have any adds so...go firefox! lol.
Jan 12, 2010 5:18 PM

May 2009
Shotafill said:
I hate the white space... I hate the WHOLE white... the old mal was so much better.

the white is really a terible color, it looks much better i black:

Jan 12, 2010 5:20 PM

Apr 2009
Hmm, this'll take some getting used to. I actually kinda like the bubbles but they don't continue as you scroll. I need to check out different kinds of pages and see how different they look now.

Jan 12, 2010 5:21 PM

Aug 2009
Different for sure, but I'm getting the hang of it. Seems... cleaner somehow. Probably all the white. More themes would be nice.
Ha-cha!
Jan 12, 2010 5:23 PM

Sep 2008
Same, tried MAL on IE,Chome and Firefox , all the ad is overlapping the buttons when you roll over it making it hard to see.

All my browser all up to date so the problem may be the ad?

-Cons
- Now it looks more like a forum layout
- Harder to navigate as you need to hover on the buttons ; slower
- Ad blocking button making it hard to see

Good to hear you're making more skins, hope there's different type of layouts and BG image color etc.

And keeping the Classic 1st Layout too would be good as 1 of the Skin option
• † Trevor Asuka Shinn † •
Jan 12, 2010 5:23 PM

Feb 2008
LightningRamiel said:
More themes would be nice.

this this this this this this^^^
Jan 12, 2010 5:24 PM

Jun 2008
i like how its wider and it looks nice but its harder to navigate with out the side bar, like at least give us a side bar for the Profile drop menu.

also if there are going to be more themes could it be possible to create our own like the background on the Anime List that would be awesome!
FullmetalPHXJan 12, 2010 5:28 PM
Jan 12, 2010 5:24 PM
Nov 2009
Guess its a love it or hate situation.

mmmmm i kinda prefer the older version, though this does have its good points, like lots of nice white spaces....
Jan 12, 2010 5:27 PM

Nov 2007
i like it, better than old one.
less ads, wider space.
Jan 12, 2010 5:27 PM

May 2007
I'm not sure how I feel about the design, but I love the new navigation. It feels so much cleaner and organized now.

So whether or not this stays, I hope the nav bar (or something like it) stays. It has spoiled me already XD
Jan 12, 2010 5:28 PM

Nov 2008
Ew.

I hate the fixed width, the navigation is a pain, and the whole site looks a lot more 'plain'.

This is not a good thing.
Jan 12, 2010 5:30 PM

Jun 2009
Make clicking Community open the forums instead of only a placeholder.
Jan 12, 2010 5:31 PM

Feb 2009
Wow, wow wow wow wowowowow. Wtf happened, the previous layout and navigation were perfect?
Jan 12, 2010 5:31 PM

Jun 2009
Ooh, so that's why I thought something is weird. It changed all of sudden after I refreshed my page.

Pretty neat I guess.
Pages (35) « First ... « 15 16 [17] 18 19 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Summer Stack Challenges 🎾 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Jul 30

306 by n0stalgia »»
2 hours ago

» MAL Game "Fantasy Anime League" Opens for Fall 2024 ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Sep 12

105 by RED-clover12 »»
Yesterday, 11:29 AM

» MAL Game "Fantasy Anime League" Opens for Spring 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kineta - Mar 17

156 by badabass »»
Sep 17, 5:59 PM

» Join MAL's Moderator Team!

Kineta - Sep 12

0 by Kineta »»
Sep 12, 7:26 PM

» Related Anime/Manga Section Changes ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - May 23

124 by Chronowarp »»
Sep 10, 5:20 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.