Forum Settings
Forums

how is Demon Slayer considered 'meh' when every season it aired, it was the #1 anime ?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 11, 2023 6:14 AM
Jun 2019
What do you mean by this? People are allowed to have different wievs on shows.
Apr 11, 2023 6:15 AM

Mar 2012
As someone who usually dislikes battle shounen I actually liked Demon Slayer and it would have been much more better if Zenitsu and Inosuke didn't exist.
Apr 11, 2023 6:22 AM

Jul 2021
demon slayer haters are just loud. they get multiple sequential-continuous-orgasms after writing "demon slayer story is mid", "it is carried by animation" everywhere thus you see all these hate comments and start questioning if demon slayer really is bad.

at the end some people like it and some not. these people never get satisfied, if the animation is bad they will call it out and if the animation is great they want to call it out as well. haters will be haters. if you like demon slayer then good, just ignore haters and enjoy.

the story might not be the most "original" or "new" but the way it is executed is just chef's kiss.
TsutanaiFuunApr 11, 2023 6:26 AM

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Apr 11, 2023 2:53 PM

Sep 2020
Alot of people like to think that animation carries the show which it does. Still, the voice acting, the fan service both male and female, and the simple nature of using each arc to give exposition to at least one hashira while having Tanjiro progress as a swordsman, the aura that the upper demons have, etc all carry this show. The same people that have been complaining about it being overrated are the same people that have taken the time to sit through its ever-growing amount of content so clearly it's doing something right.

Arteta's Tricky Reds!

Apr 11, 2023 3:06 PM

Jul 2015
The more popular the show - the more haters it has. It applies to literally everything.

Apr 11, 2023 3:21 PM

Jul 2021
TsutanaiFuun said:
"it is carried by animation"

It's so weird that people say this, when the animation is really just a bunch of flashing lights in front of a CGI background, with occasionally the characters partially appearing between the two.

Gyo actually looked good.
Apr 11, 2023 3:22 PM
Dec 2021
No idea bro, i don't watch normie anime anymore.
Apr 11, 2023 3:27 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Demon Slayer has been always considered meh by vocal minority who think that they have superior anime taste.

Not to mention most MAL users don't post in the forum after all.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Apr 11, 2023 3:37 PM

Jul 2013
zombie_pegasus said:
Fun fact: normies tend not to have great taste. Kny has been watched mostly by people who haven't seen much anime, and without much to compare it to they're easily impressed. Veteran fans tend to rate it lower, but since there's fewer of them watching Kny even if they might fairly rate it a 6 or 7 that's not going to make a dent in its high score.

Also, SAO used to be rated really high until it became a meme to shit on it. When I joined MAL in 2014 it was rated 8.2. I doubt Kny will achieve that kind of meme status of being "the worst anime of all time" by roughly the same crowd of people who used to praise it since, mediocre as it is, the standout animation still makes it incredibly appealing for a certain audience and the writing doesn't have blatant flaws in it in the same way that SAO does.

This is everything. I love this statement, so true.
"normies tend not to have great taste."

And not just in anime, every form of media. Western movies - Avengers is very highly rated but it is actually average at best. Modern pop music is also average at best but eats up so much of the billboard space (although I'm speculating here since I don't really listen to that kind of music).
Apr 11, 2023 4:06 PM

Feb 2010
soniyay said:
why is that people think Demon Slayer is boring and bad yet it has such high scores and stats ... I mean people say SAO is bad and it score is BAD ...
and do you think only ANIMATION made it get that high of points ?
Any time an anime is a major hit you will get a loud vocal minority saying it's bad. believe it or not, but a large majority of the website do not use the forums. 

for example even if i dislike shows like naurto I'm not egotistically thinking I'm in the majority just because naurto haters are more vocal. 
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Apr 11, 2023 10:28 PM

Jun 2019
If you're on MAL forums long enough, you'd get the idea that no one likes Demon Slayer
Apr 11, 2023 10:46 PM

Jul 2021
JaniSIr said:
TsutanaiFuun said:
"it is carried by animation"

It's so weird that people say this, when the animation is really just a bunch of flashing lights in front of a CGI background, with occasionally the characters partially appearing between the two.

Gyo actually looked good.
lmao you don't have to do them like that

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Apr 13, 2023 12:07 PM

Jul 2021
Rinrinka said:
Demon Slayer has been always considered meh by vocal minority who think that they have superior anime taste.
NO half of the people think Demon Slayer is just trash carried by animation to high heaven and the other half think It's a peak fiction, people who thinks Kny is something in between are the minority
Apr 29, 2023 10:19 AM

Jun 2022
Because of it's big fanbase
and maybe voice acting
Apr 30, 2023 2:24 AM
Sep 2021
Season 3 is horrible, it doesn't deserve to be No.1 spring 2023 anime
May 1, 2023 6:19 AM

Aug 2020
Surprised this thread hasn't been locked yet. Let's see.
May 1, 2023 6:47 AM

Oct 2019
the reason is that sao is a power fantasy. and it's a lot easier to see when show's like that are flawed to the casual audience.

plus demon slayer was never popular to hate. you almost got bullied for not thinking sao is terrible, and that is far from being the case with demon slayer.

and thats besides the point that the people who go against demon slayer, call it "mid". the people whp go against sao, call it shit.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
May 1, 2023 6:54 AM

Oct 2019
-NeW- said:
Demon Slayer being considered 'meh' is mostly because people are hypocrites.

KnY is excellently done and it is entertaining AF. It has a decent story with pretty fine characters, plus magnificent animation and soundtracks/songs.

If you're only rating shows based on a story perspective, go read a book.
Imma be honest I think demon slayer is extremely boring.

It's not that I think demon slayer is bad.... but it is pretty meh. 

if I gave something like demon slayer, a meh story with weak characters and fantastic production, the same score as mob psycho or made in abyss.... shows with also great production but story and characters far better than demon slayer, then that wouldn't be fair would it?

it's not even that you need a good story, if you put your full focus on being entertaining, and make something like redline, then that's GREAT.

but demon slayer has a has focus on it's story, it spend time on the cast, it tries to make me cry, and I just don't give a shit about anything outside of the great fight scenes and music. a great looking stick man fight would be more entertaining, because at least I don't have to sit through bad-average story or dialogue to get to the action.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
May 1, 2023 6:59 AM

Aug 2012
Because the story and characters continue to be very meh
May 1, 2023 7:04 AM
Mar 2021
Ufotable carried KNY. Also, with shounen action that will get more welcome to public than other previous projects like Nasuverse/Type-Moon series, Tales series, or Touken Ranbu which only people with certain taste. If it isn't Ufotable, KNY won't be really that popular until now.
May 1, 2023 7:22 AM
Mar 2019
I mean it's a good show but it's not the masterpiece a lot of people think it is. Story wise is pretty generic and the only reason it's so popular it's because of the animation imo. That being said i still think its a pretty cool show just not the greatest as a lot of people think. 
May 1, 2023 7:24 AM
Mar 2019
Akil29 said:
Simple answer : Animation carries ,Popularity and begineer friendly.
Yes this! I totally agree with you. It's a show i would definitely recommend for begginers
May 1, 2023 8:16 AM

Jun 2014
I think the show is decent. Not SnK nor FMA:B level of quality, but still good.

The only real complaint I have is that I think some fights go on a little too long.
May 1, 2023 8:34 AM

Oct 2018
Because The Demon the Slayer is literally a cabra (Goat)
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
May 1, 2023 8:53 AM

Oct 2013
A high rating doesn't equate to something being great, it just means it's accessible to a large amount of people. Visually it looks great, the plot is easy to follow, the characters motivations are easy to understand, and the fight scenes are entertaining. I've seen this series multiple times over at this point, so it doesn't exactly blow my tits off (aside from maybe the fight scenes), but I get why so many people like it. If this were my first or one of my anime, I'd probably give more praise as well.
May 1, 2023 9:25 AM

Jan 2023
I unno, man. I haven’t watched Demon Slayer yet but, I actually kinda just don’t really understand the concept behind getting defensive when other people think your favorite anime is mid. Why do other people’s opinions matter or bare any weight on your enjoyment of a thing you like? Popular series are often criticized by people with varying opinions and tastes. Obviously not everyone likes the same shit. Enough people like it to make it number 1, so be happy. Who cares about the grumblers.
May 1, 2023 9:36 AM

Nov 2018
Because its....... "Meh??"

Just kidding. its good and you hold your opinion. then why care about the rest? You enjoyed it, good for you I'm glad it made you happier. Thats what matters, your enjoyment and how your days go better. SO forget the Meh and enjoy the LIGHTNING BLADE ICHI NO KATA!!!!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 1, 2023 9:39 AM
Dec 2020
Classic anime fan not knowing that people can have different tastes and opinions. Not every single person who has watched demon slayer gives a score
May 1, 2023 10:00 AM

Apr 2020
when every season it aired, it was the #1 anime ?

It wasn't though?
It's first season got outscored by AoT and only barely won against it in total members, which is still an overall loss, considering that was already AoT's third season and Demon Slayer was brand new.

Second season is the one you can point out as being the number one of the season...kinda. It depends whether you consider the Mugen Train episodes part of the season or not.

And it's very unlikely it'll surpass Oshi no Ko's score this season. So, once again, it's winning in just popularity.

So, it mostly just wins in terms of popularity and it's easy to see why. It secured a massive fandom in its first season and it's been consistent in the quality of its delivery, while its greedyness has been increasing, so that core fandom is going to rate it pretty high with each new season. You don't really need to think too hard about it.
May 1, 2023 1:17 PM

Dec 2019
Simple: Popularity.

When something is popular and trendy, people don't give a damn fuck about quality. If it's highly praised and everyone treats it like the greatest thing ever made despite being turbo ass, you better fucking love it as well in order to fit in and be cool like every other molecule of water in the ocean. If you dare criticize the status quo, get ready to be exiled.
May 1, 2023 3:02 PM

Jan 2021
As many have said, Demon Slayer is extremely generic and basic in it's story, but the execution of the anime is better than most anime that are similar. On top of that, the animation is good.

However, it's also just opinions. Not everyone is going to like Demon Slayer, just like not everyone is going to like Maid-sama, Yuru Camp, or anything else.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Which one of your favorite anime would you not recommend to others?

Gashadokur0 - 4 minutes ago

1 by Serafos »»
13 seconds ago

» Blu-ray is an outdated metric, Streaming services are the new standard

removed-user - Jun 2

46 by ColourWheel »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you feel shameful listening to cutesy Anime Song?

Dragevard - 6 hours ago

25 by KenaiPhoenix »»
5 minutes ago

» What if aliens made every anime have aliens in it?

APolygons2 - Jun 2

35 by APolygons2 »»
7 minutes ago

» Would you watch AI anime? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Jun 2

82 by iodineisopod »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.