Forum Settings
Forums

Thoughts on cleavages being used as a standard in so many anime?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Feb 10, 2023 2:46 PM

Feb 2014

Mastrophobia is the fear of breasts. This is often of female breasts, but can also occur from a man's pectoral muscles.
“When people see some things as beautiful, other things become ugly.
When people see some things as good, other things become bad.”
Feb 10, 2023 2:57 PM
Feb 2018
I've been watching anime since ~2006 and I actually feel that fan service is something the medium has gotten better about. In the 2000's it was everywhere, places where it made sense, places where it didn't make sense and everything in between. As anime broadened into more Western audiences and took an artistic turn fan service took a turn with it and became much less prevalent (at least with some of the more popular titles).

Part of it may also be that there is just a lot more anime around and a lot more viewers. Back in the day, the way to catch the eyes of the primary targeted demographic (mostly teenage boys) was just skimpy outfits, but now that it's broadened and become more publicly acceptable as entertainment/an art form, production companies and creators are having to rely on artistic originality, quality animation, concepts and stories that have a broader appeal to demographics outside of male adolescent gamers.
Feb 10, 2023 3:12 PM

May 2021
SeinenJump said:
Back in the day, the way to catch the eyes of the primary targeted demographic (mostly teenage boys) was just skimpy outfits, but now that it's broadened and become more publicly acceptable as entertainment/an art form, production companies and creators are having to rely on artistic originality, quality animation, concepts and stories that have a broader appeal to demographics outside of male adolescent gamers

Damn, even all the sparkling 80s shoujo and 2000s action shoujo magical girls were aimed at teenage boys? I never knew that
Feb 10, 2023 3:13 PM
Feb 2018
DigiCat said:
SeinenJump said:
Back in the day, the way to catch the eyes of the primary targeted demographic (mostly teenage boys) was just skimpy outfits, but now that it's broadened and become more publicly acceptable as entertainment/an art form, production companies and creators are having to rely on artistic originality, quality animation, concepts and stories that have a broader appeal to demographics outside of male adolescent gamers

Damn, even all the sparkling 80s shoujo and 2000s action shoujo magical girls were aimed at teenage boys? I never knew that

Key qualifying word here being **mostly**
Feb 10, 2023 3:26 PM

May 2021
SeinenJump said:
Key qualifying word here being **mostly**

Exept it's more like 50/50, maybe 60/40
Feb 10, 2023 3:28 PM
Jan 2022
ngl people saying more cleavage are weird asf. Cleavage is fine, I'm not saying not to let women show off their bodies or anything like that. But it gets to a point where there's TOO MUCH. A lot of you need to calm down on the horny meter.
Feb 10, 2023 4:00 PM
Kii_Ibarra

Dec 2020
Literally nothing wrong with cleavage. Everybody has a chest

And I say this as someone who absolutely hates ecchi. The way I see it, we should let people dress however they want, fictional or otherwise
My greatest contribution to this website:
Feb 10, 2023 4:03 PM

Dec 2022
I agree with OP. 

I don't mind if it happens now and then, but if there are female characters that dress like that all the time, I won't recommend it to others. 
Just feel weird about it. If the anime is supposed to be somewhat realistic, it makes even less sense
This is your reminder to drink water 💦 or eat some fruit  🍒 🥝
Feb 10, 2023 4:05 PM

Dec 2022
FanofAction said:
By that logic, clothes in general are completely irrelevant to the plot most of the time, so they might as well all be naked.
 The males too then if we clothes don't matter
Feb 10, 2023 4:07 PM

May 2019
UberBat said:
Kind of loses it's appeal when it's everywhere. Need to be more exclusive and less annoying. 

Support the small chested! 

Another issue is the lack of nipples on topless men in anime 

I disagree, it gains immensly in appeal when its everywhere, have you seen eiken and manyuu hikenchou ? need to be more ubiquitous and prominent.

Support the big breasted.

as to your third point, queen's blade has nipples on males too.

Feb 10, 2023 4:18 PM
May 2017
Women have breasts. We must accept this reality.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Feb 10, 2023 4:20 PM

Oct 2013
Lionalanda said:
FanofAction said:
By that logic, clothes in general are completely irrelevant to the plot most of the time, so they might as well all be naked.
 The males too then if we clothes don't matter
That's a trade off I'm willing to take. It's Japan, so everything below the waist would likely be censored for both anyways..
Feb 10, 2023 4:22 PM

Oct 2013
leonardobarba said:
I always wonder how someone like this reacts to cleavage in real life if it bothers them so much on a fictional character
Feb 10, 2023 4:27 PM

May 2021
FanofAction said:
leonardobarba said:
I always wonder how someone like this reacts to cleavage in real life if it bothers them so much on a fictional character

Projectile vomiting is my guess 🤣
Feb 10, 2023 4:33 PM

Oct 2013
DigiCat said:
FanofAction said:

Projectile vomiting is my guess 🤣
At that point I'd have to question if they were allergic to boobs or something. Sounds like a terrible way to live.
Feb 10, 2023 4:34 PM
May 2017
FanofAction said:
leonardobarba said:

Here in Brazil, warm, tropical weather, cleavages are commonplace and brazilians are not characters from an ecchi anime. So, it is not necessary to be hysterical because of some woman's cleavage... just respect.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Feb 10, 2023 4:38 PM

May 2019
leonardobarba said:

I wholeheartedly accept and embrace that reality.
Feb 10, 2023 4:44 PM

Oct 2013
leonardobarba said:
FanofAction said:

Here in Brazil, warm, tropical weather, cleavages are commonplace and brazilians are not characters from an ecchi anime. So, it is not necessary to be hysterical because of some woman's cleavage... just respect.
If only everyone was so chill about it...
Feb 10, 2023 4:47 PM
May 2020
Cleavage isn't inherently an issue, in my opinion, but it can get in the way of immersion. 
If it doesn't make sense for a character to dress provocatively, yet they do, it's a contradiction of their characterisation, which is bad for the coherency of the narrative.
Every part of an anime can contribute to characterisation and character development, and appearance and costume are integral to that. In a way, it shows a lack of attention to detail by the studio/writers as to whether the character should be seen as sexual or not. 

Unnecessary sexualisation detracts from my enjoyment of a show, like anything else that can be overused in one.
Feb 10, 2023 4:56 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
It's not enough. Free the nipple (.)(.)

NYANPASU
5700XT

Feb 10, 2023 5:05 PM

Feb 2017
Tbh it isn't that hard to find series without much fanservice. But yeah I don't like constant cleavage either, looks tacky most of the time. A lot of the time fan servicey series don't even draw boobs well lol. I hate when a character is wearing a super revealing top where basically only the nipples would be covered but the placement is noticeably super off so it just looks like they don't have any. Or when they put a bunch of blush and shiny spots on them, so the characters look sick and covered in oil. Or when boobs are basically drawn as two spheres slapped onto their chests. 
Feb 10, 2023 5:19 PM
Jul 2018
JKKH said:
Tbh it isn't that hard to find series without much fanservice. But yeah I don't like constant cleavage either, looks tacky most of the time. A lot of the time fan servicey series don't even draw boobs well lol. I hate when a character is wearing a super revealing top where basically only the nipples would be covered but the placement is noticeably super off so it just looks like they don't have any. Or when they put a bunch of blush and shiny spots on them, so the characters look sick and covered in oil. Or when boobs are basically drawn as two spheres slapped onto their chests. 
I never understood the shiny spots hahah these guys draw boobs like they're ballsacks
Feb 10, 2023 5:30 PM

Feb 2021
Everyone loves boobies and cleavage. Especially on a genre with many mediocre shows, of course they have to keep your attention with boobies. 
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Feb 10, 2023 6:20 PM
Dec 2021
TheBlockernator said:
I don't think you should feel weird recommending shows with cleavage but not actual fanservice to people. A lot of women in real life wear cleavage exposing outfits and most people won't care.
Agreed. If there is cleavage, it shouldn’t be exaggerated, or be the main focus of her design.
Feb 10, 2023 6:26 PM

Jan 2013
ObserversAreFun said:
Cleavage isn't inherently an issue, in my opinion, but it can get in the way of immersion. 
If it doesn't make sense for a character to dress provocatively, yet they do, it's a contradiction of their characterisation, which is bad for the coherency of the narrative.
Every part of an anime can contribute to characterisation and character development, and appearance and costume are integral to that. In a way, it shows a lack of attention to detail by the studio/writers as to whether the character should be seen as sexual or not. 

Unnecessary sexualisation detracts from my enjoyment of a show, like anything else that can be overused in one.
I find your logic sound in theory, but most of the shows you're talking about are probably immersion breaking in many other ways as it is. 
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Feb 10, 2023 8:03 PM

Dec 2020
It's funny how modest fanservice is, XXL boobs on a loli character are common but pubic hair and nipples are a no-no.

I don't get people who complain about fanservice, it can be done in a crude and annoying fashion, sure, but if I'm sifting through and there's no sexiness I count it as a negative (most Japanese media has dumb plots anyways, nothing some naked girls can't save.)
Also, I think it's way harder to design a sexy male character than a female one, for some reason...

Not like western media doesn't lean on sex appeal to sell, and boobs are pretty much a genetic marker for men to identify a woman as a desirable mate, I saw a video conference talking about this, men can notice a busty chest even while going 80 kph on a highway, so it's not even conscious, since the brain wouldn't have time to process visual information this far away and that fast.

My preference leans more towards the modest but shapely, personally, and I pay more attention to what's below the belt.

“You’ve never succeeded at anything and you never will, and do you know why? Because you are vulgar, irremediably vulgar, and not only are you vulgar, you are ordinary.” - Maurice Pialat’s We Won't Grow Old Together (1972)
Feb 10, 2023 8:24 PM

Apr 2022
What is the problem of a woman wearing a cleavage?
“I won’t rely on anyone anymore. I don’t care if no one understands.” – Homura Akemi
Feb 10, 2023 8:30 PM

Jul 2020
If it's a ecchi/hentai genre, sure why not? But other than that, it really depends on the scenario/scene. Or how you will execute it. 
My Candies:
Feb 10, 2023 9:52 PM

Jan 2014
A LOT of women wear revealing/tight clothing, both cleavage and ass ( mostly the latter ), even in the winter right now. So yea sorry to burst your precious bubble OP, but even women IRL like showing it off
Feb 10, 2023 10:05 PM

Dec 2012
I am a boob man, so that's a very good trend, if it exists. I haven't really noticed.
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Feb 11, 2023 1:03 AM

Dec 2022
DoctorWasabi said:
A LOT of women wear revealing/tight clothing, both cleavage and ass ( mostly the latter ), even in the winter right now. So yea sorry to burst your precious bubble OP, but even women IRL like showing it off
Don't know what kind of nice winter you're having, but here everyone is wrapped up in as many layers as possible, even inside the homes to save on gas
Feb 11, 2023 1:20 AM
The Attack Titan

May 2019
cleavage is the reason the zygote is able to become an internet user that complains about cleavage 

Feb 11, 2023 2:04 AM

Jul 2021
starflutter said:
JKKH said:
I never understood the shiny spots hahah these guys draw boobs like they're ballsacks
I know right, it's so weird seeing all high schoolers have misshapen boobs like they'd have a botched boob job...
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Feb 11, 2023 2:21 AM

Apr 2015
Usapz said:
What is the problem of a woman wearing a cleavage?
People have been exposed to "boobs=bad" so much they believe women shouldn't be able to show skin no matter what. 
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Feb 11, 2023 2:24 AM

Jul 2015
OP probably realized it by now, but most anime fans are either horny teens, or awkward post-teens who struggle to interact with women. Extreme sexualization of characters is here to appeal to them, so asking them their opinion on it will lead to pretty unsurprising results.

@FanofAction " I always wonder how someone like this reacts to cleavage in real life if it bothers them so much on a fictional character "
They probably just ask "how much" because only hookers dress like hookers IRL.
Look I like anime and all that shit, but... Like, lets just take Cowboy Bebop so nobody will torch me alive for shitting on some show I don't like. Look at how Faye Valentine is dressing. Did that ever bothered me IRL? No, it never bothered me IRL, because I have legit never seen anyone dress like that besides the sex workers in my music school's street lmao. And considering how everybody around her looks normal, it's just very strange that she dresses like some downtown hooker.
DeathkoFeb 11, 2023 2:29 AM
Feb 11, 2023 4:01 AM

Dec 2020
Deathko said:
OP probably realized it by now, but most anime fans are either horny teens, or awkward post-teens who struggle to interact with women. Extreme sexualization of characters is here to appeal to them, so asking them their opinion on it will lead to pretty unsurprising results.

@FanofAction " I always wonder how someone like this reacts to cleavage in real life if it bothers them so much on a fictional character "
Look I like anime and all that shit, but... Like, lets just take Cowboy Bebop so nobody will torch me alive for shitting on some show I don't like. Look at how Faye Valentine is dressing. Did that ever bothered me IRL? No, it never bothered me IRL, because I have legit never seen anyone dress like that besides the sex workers in my music school's street lmao. And considering how everybody around her looks normal, it's just very strange that she dresses like some downtown hooker.
   Does that make men in wifebeaters, shorts, open shirts, swim trunks, bare backs... hookers too?

“You’ve never succeeded at anything and you never will, and do you know why? Because you are vulgar, irremediably vulgar, and not only are you vulgar, you are ordinary.” - Maurice Pialat’s We Won't Grow Old Together (1972)
Feb 11, 2023 4:18 AM

Jul 2015
@DYNASTIA I cannot answer, I don't think I ever saw male hookers. I'm sure there are some out there.

Note that the cowboy girl outfit doesn't bother me since TV hosts often have skimpy outfits, and I wouldn't be bothered by Faye either if every girl in the show was running around in shorts that barely covered their butts. Can't argue with fictional future's fashion trends.
Feb 11, 2023 4:32 AM

Feb 2019
Nice.

But in all seriousness, If a show is comedic and not very serious then I’d enjoy/expect a little fan service. However if a show very serious then cleavage used inappropriately will definitely ruin the mood of the show for me.
Feb 11, 2023 4:33 AM

May 2020
Isn't it something we see in our everyday life? I feel people who complain about this haven't went outside and breathing fresh air enough. Needless to say, it needs to be more common

MAL is the perfect place to shit talk about people's opinions.
Feb 11, 2023 5:27 AM

May 2021
Deathko said:
Look I like anime and all that shit, but... Like, lets just take Cowboy Bebop so nobody will torch me alive for shitting on some show I don't like. Look at how Faye Valentine is dressing. Did that ever bothered me IRL? No, it never bothered me IRL, because I have legit never seen anyone dress like that besides the sex workers in my music school's street lmao

Enjoying your slut shaming?

tomasowa said:
To be fair, I can name a few places around the World that I've lived at, where people wear skimpy outfits all day long, even in formal settings:

Sydney and Brisbane - Australia
Denpasar and Kuta - Indonesia
Honolulu - The United States
Bangkok - Thailand

Since these are places I've personally been, this is not second-hand information.

From dawn to dusk, females wear bikinis and cover up with a sarong variant or pants for more formal-looking wear.
Some are tourists but others are expatriates and locals who live and work in the area.

Nobody bats an eyelid.
Well, except virgin visitors popping their cherries seeing a place where females show their curves.
My advice would be to pace themselves, open one eyelid at a time, and control their heart rate

This is 100% true for most hot countries, the only women who cover up are the ones who do it for religious beliefs
Feb 11, 2023 5:55 AM

Jul 2015
@DigiCat It's not slut shaming. I have no problem with hookers or people who dress immodestly. If you live in a region of the world where people actually dress this way, I can understand your sentiment. I've just googled "Faye Valentine cosplay" and I can guarantee you I have never seen anyone dress like that in every day life, so Faye dressing like that without it being a noticeable fashion trend in the show seems like toxic male gaze and objectification to me.

Now lets have a fight to see who's the most feminist of us. There's only room for one of us here! >:C
Feb 11, 2023 6:21 AM
Dec 2022
Big boobs are quite tamed these days. A significant chunk of 90s non-children anime series was quite fond of big double milk tanks.

I gotta say. Big boobs don't turn me on as a lesbian. So I like anime like New Game! for being realistic about women's boobs for the majority of characters.
Feb 11, 2023 6:25 AM

May 2021
Deathko said:
so Faye dressing like that without it being a noticeable fashion trend in the show seems like toxic male gaze

Ah, so standing out and not following fashion trends is only for the male gaze, it couldn't possibly be because a woman is comfortable dressing that way or likes that style of clothing
Doesn't sound like a very femminist way of thinking...
Feb 11, 2023 6:36 AM

Oct 2021
It's an overused trope now in modern anime and has certainly loss its appeal.
Feb 11, 2023 6:52 AM
Nov 2019
The one I can recall is of Matsumoto. ( Bleach)
Feb 11, 2023 7:19 AM

May 2018
it look nice, who can deny, badonbka we like

But like serious talk, it's problematic that so many women are dressed so lightly in a LOT of media and anime. I still like to see nice curves so I am not able to be super mad, just a bit...
Feb 11, 2023 7:42 AM

May 2021
Nysse said:
But like serious talk, it's problematic that so many women are dressed so lightly in a LOT of media and anime

What makes it problamatic??

character limit
Feb 11, 2023 7:54 AM

May 2018
It's mostly the amount of media that makes it problematic imo. Since over sexualization of women and girls has been proven to be a factor in making sexism worse especially among young men. I really do wanna have a better less shit societies all over the world and in small ways it can be a bit improved. Also I would love to live in a world where guys are less like assholes towards women and anyone who isn't a straight male but not sure how many people here care about that kinda opinion. Also not all men, yes yes I know just too many imo.

But I still emphasize that personally I ALSO like booba cleavage so like yeah just wanna have a bit less of it over all I guess. There are other great ways to make attractive female characters as well really other than over using BOBS.
Feb 11, 2023 8:27 AM

May 2021
Nysse said:
Also I would love to live in a world where guys are less like assholes towards women and anyone who isn't a straight male but not sure how many people here care about that kinda opinion. Also not all men, yes yes I know just too many imo.

Damn, how have you met so many??

The way i see it, there's always gonna be assholes in the world (and this isn't exclusive to being a man or straight), but they tend to just be a loud minority in most cases
Feb 11, 2023 8:29 AM

Aug 2018
cleavage is the standard, so nothing wrong with it
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» 🎖️Best Protagonist of all time & discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nirererin - Aug 16

601 by nirererin »»
3 minutes ago

» As a 10+ year otaku veteran you' tend to watch less anime, but consume otaku related things through other means like manga, seiyuus, Pixiv, doujinshi, etc. I am right now at that phase.

KiraraFan - 2 hours ago

14 by Mualani »»
5 minutes ago

» Animew Stater Pack

Kirika_Madeleine - Sep 16

46 by JaniSIr »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Best anime with other planets / in space, what do you think?

IpreferEcchi - 9 hours ago

13 by mshfqtny »»
43 minutes ago

Poll: » A anime that mention your country?

torsan88 - Yesterday

43 by RainyEvenings »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.