Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 18, 2023 7:13 AM

Feb 2011
I'm seriously baffled, Saw it pop up on a site I use, and im shocked to see it's gone this far 

Do people actually enjoy this show? Is it more popular in japan or somethings?

I know MAL ratings are to be taken with a grain of salt, but they're pretty par the course, mid tier ratings for a sub-mid anime

Just how? 

Jan 18, 2023 7:45 AM
Sep 2016
Cuz Japan is actually working hard on the story and B it might be selling like hotcakes in Japan. plus I actually love the characters... oh so naive these MAL people are....
Jan 18, 2023 11:54 AM
Apr 2022
Dunno but seeing it on its third season makes me wanna watch it more
Jan 18, 2023 2:21 PM

Jan 2021
Scootboi said:
I'm seriously baffled, Saw it pop up on a site I use, and im shocked to see it's gone this far 

I know MAL ratings are to be taken with a grain of salt, but they're pretty par the course, mid tier ratings for a sub-mid anime

Just how? 
It's very popular in Japan, but the fanbase doesn't bother to demand better quality because this show needs it. It's nothing like CSM fans who are demanding something better than perfect. Orphen could use a better studio and a better director cuz the books are awesome. But good news to you, 4th season will adapt the final arc, so we won't be seeing more of Orphen unless they adapt the new series with him in his 40s.
Jan 18, 2023 3:34 PM

Feb 2014
So is gonna be a full adaptation, huh? good to know, even if the production isn't fantastic.
Jan 18, 2023 5:39 PM

Jan 2021
Yeah, I was expecting the worst, but at least all the books are translated. The plot has a shit ton of interesting stuff to happen and I hope they adapt it well.
Jan 18, 2023 6:02 PM

Sep 2020
I'm actually the one baffled by this thread, specifically by the implication that there are people out here unaware of the fact that average/minor series can and will get multiple seasons if all the right conditions are met.
Having sensible production values, a sufficient number of viewers and a stable animation staff ensured that Orphen reached its third season.
fudish123 said:
Scootboi said:

Just how? 
It's very popular in Japan, but the fanbase doesn't bother to demand better quality because this show needs it. It's nothing like CSM fans who are demanding something better than perfect. Orphen could use a better studio and a better director cuz the books are awesome. But good news to you, 4th season will adapt the final arc, so we won't be seeing more of Orphen unless they adapt the new series with him in his 40s.
Sorry but I gotta ask: are you sure Orphen is really in his 40s in the new series?
I haven't read them, but just by looking at the books' covers (the ones published by TO Books) Orphen and everyone else pretty much look the same as usual to me.
Jan 18, 2023 7:18 PM

Jan 2021
Avvenirista said:
I'm actually the one baffled by this thread, specifically by the implication that there are people out here unaware of the fact that average/minor series can and will get multiple seasons if all the right conditions are met.
Having sensible production values, a sufficient number of viewers and a stable animation staff ensured that Orphen reached its third season.
fudish123 said:
Sorry but I gotta ask: are you sure Orphen is really in his 40s in the new series?
I haven't read them, but just by looking at the books' covers (the ones published by TO Books) Orphen and everyone else pretty much look the same as usual to me.
I read somewhere he is in his 40s, but it's safe to assume he is at least in his 30s if you consider the images, Cleao looks older and they have 3 children who look 10-12 y.o
Jan 18, 2023 8:30 PM
Jan 2020
It probably won't happen but I still hoping that little shit Volcan is finally gone for good. One of the most unwanted and useless characters ever.
Jan 19, 2023 12:51 AM

Aug 2017
Scootboi said:
Saw it pop up on a site I use

already a red flag for me that you are a pirate…
why care about what gets multiple seasons and what not if you are not legally supporting anime in any way, shape or form?
why do you complain about it and not take what you can get for free and be quite about it!?
Jan 19, 2023 3:24 AM

Feb 2011
-Elevate- said:
Scootboi said:
Saw it pop up on a site I use

Lol, cope. No one said I don't support it. I have a couple volumes of good manga in my house, tf are you on about? Supporting garbage like crunchyroll is cringe.

And just because it's "free" doesn't mean i can't complain about it. Orphen is awful . Mid plot, low par voice acting, generic looking characters.

cope x2

Jan 19, 2023 3:28 AM

Aug 2017
Scootboi said:
-Elevate- said:

Lol, cope. No one said I don't support it. I have a couple volumes of good manga in my house, tf are you on about? Supporting garbage like crunchyroll is cringe.

And just because it's "free" doesn't mean i can't complain about it. Orphen is awful . Mid plot, low par voice acting, generic looking characters.

cope x2

i’m out of words. what am i supposed to say to a pirate like you!?
at least if you pirate be quiet about it and take everything you can get as you don’t support anime releases legally you literally do not matter for the big anime companies. also crunchyroll isn’t garbage they do their best. you should rethink your ways of life.
Jan 19, 2023 2:50 PM

Apr 2014
This topic is wild to me. So many statements that need to be unpacked.

Sakyo2021 said:
Cuz Japan is actually working hard on the story and B it might be selling like hotcakes in Japan. plus I actually love the characters... oh so naive these MAL people are....
OP literally asked if this is the case.

Avvenirista said:
I don't think there's anything wrong with that line of thinking, especially if they're from the US. Here, shows will be cancelled after one or two seasons if they're not a mega-hit. As I'm more familiar with the way the US entertainment industry operates, I was surprised as well.

-Elevate- said:
why care about what gets multiple seasons and what not if you are not legally supporting anime in any way, shape or form?
why do you complain about it and not take what you can get for free and be quite about it!?
-Elevate- said:
at least if you pirate be quiet about it and take everything you can get as you don’t support anime releases legally you literally do not matter for the big anime companies. also crunchyroll isn’t garbage they do their best. you should rethink your ways of life.
I'm not endorsing piracy...but why does it matter? They learned about season 3 on an unnamed website, and after thinking season 1 was bad, they were confused as to how it lasted so long. Whether they were on a pirate site or not doesn't change anything, and the point being raised isn't a bad one - it is surprising that the series is on season 3 due to how poorly it has been received. (well...not to Avvenirista, I suppose lol)
Jan 19, 2023 3:11 PM

Sep 2020
ChangeLeopardon said:

Sakyo2021 said:

Avvenirista said:
I don't think there's anything wrong with that line of thinking, especially if they're from the US. Here, shows will be cancelled after one or two seasons if they're not a mega-hit. As I'm more familiar with the way the US entertainment industry operates, I was surprised as well.

-Elevate- said:
-Elevate- said:
I'm not endorsing piracy...but why does it matter? They learned about season 3 on an unnamed website, and after thinking season 1 was bad, they were confused as to how it lasted so long. Whether they were on a pirate site or not doesn't change anything, and the point being raised isn't a bad one - it is surprising that the series is on season 3 due to how poorly it has been received. (well...not to Avvenirista, I suppose lol)
Poorly received where, exactly? Here?
For pretty much every single TV anime series only the Japanese domestic market/viewers/ratings matter, so Orphen not being the hottest product on licensed streaming services has little to no importance to the series' production committee and its partners.
There's absolutely nothing surprising about this remake possibly going all the way and animating all the books in multiple seasons.
Jan 19, 2023 3:48 PM

Aug 2018
I think because it's profitable, I like it so I'm happy... I mean, it's not the best stuff but it's more interesting than some average overhyped and generic stuff. But I have to say, I can't believe that some people still think that the west matters... and worse, that MAL score matters. Anime industry is an industry, money talks, simple as that.

Btw, my take on this show would be "almost never blows my mind, but it never gets boring". It's pretty easy to watch despite the average animation.
Jan 19, 2023 4:23 PM

Jan 2021
Scootboi said:
-Elevate- said:

Orphen is awful . Mid plot, low par voice acting, generic looking characters.

Would you care to elaborate on these defects or are you just stating a personal opinion?
Jan 19, 2023 4:38 PM

Dec 2007
Avvenirista said:
ChangeLeopardon said:

For pretty much every single TV anime series only the Japanese domestic market/viewers/ratings matter, so Orphen not being the hottest product on licensed streaming services has little to no importance to the series' production committee and its partners.
There's absolutely nothing surprising about this remake possibly going all the way and animating all the books in multiple seasons.
Nah, the international market definitely matters.  There's a reason why this show is animated the way it is and doesn't look like Demon Slayer or My Hero or Chainsaw Man or something.  I guess its possible the domestic market could like it enough to keep it going at the current budget level,
Jumping in Headfirst - I hear reading it causes immortality. Warning. Reading may not actually cause immortality.
Jan 19, 2023 5:16 PM

Sep 2020
SageShinigami said:
Avvenirista said:
Nah, the international market definitely matters.  There's a reason why this show is animated the way it is and doesn't look like Demon Slayer or My Hero or Chainsaw Man or something.  I guess its possible the domestic market could like it enough to keep it going at the current budget level,
When I said pretty much every single TV anime series I didn't mean the totality but the absolute vast majority.
The mega hits series that you've listed are outliers and not the norm.
Jan 19, 2023 7:58 PM

Feb 2011
fudish123 said:
Scootboi said:
 Orphen is awful . Mid plot, low par voice acting, generic looking characters.

Would you care to elaborate on these defects or are you just stating a personal opinion?

I don't remember much from s1. Mostly personal opinion. You can check out my list to see what id be comparing it to or just to see my experience with anime in general.

Normally if a show is bad id just ignore it continuing. But orphen was a step worse than bad to me. Which is why I'm surprised

Also the certain sure i use was REDDIT. Not Even a piracy site. The thought of anyone paying to watch Orphen is pretty hilarious tho

Jan 22, 2023 11:42 PM

Apr 2014
Avvenirista said:
Yes, here, on other sites. I don't think I've ever seen a good review of it.

I want to establish that I'm not saying that any of these US reviews or streaming numbers matter to the people producing it in Japan, and that the motivations for producing shows and metrics of success are very different there than they are here. Rather, my point is that somebody who is not familiar with how the Japanese industry operates will use what they are familiar with as a point of reference, such as the US industry. For a series like this, where hardly anybody talks about it and those who do say it's overwhelmingly mediocre...I think it's understandable to be confused as to why it's still going. It likely would not be, were it a US production.
Jan 23, 2023 2:26 AM

Sep 2020
ChangeLeopardon said:
Avvenirista said:

I want to establish that I'm not saying that any of these US reviews or streaming numbers matter to the people producing it in Japan, and that the motivations for producing shows and metrics of success are very different there than they are here. Rather, my point is that somebody who is not familiar with how the Japanese industry operates will use what they are familiar with as a point of reference, such as the US industry. For a series like this, where hardly anybody talks about it and those who do say it's overwhelmingly mediocre...I think it's understandable to be confused as to why it's still going. It likely would not be, were it a US production.
Just remember for a moment what this bulletin board we're posting on right now is about and then please tell me why anyone would even bring how the US animation (live action too?) industry works in regards to renewing TV series' seasons.
Now I'm not saying that people here need to know all the inner workings of the anime industry, because I obviously don't, but reading about someone being shocked that Orphen, a TV anime that is based on what you could call a classic light novel series, that is properly budgeted and that has a steady amount of watchers is reaching its third season is what's actually dumbfounding to me.
Jan 23, 2023 11:04 AM

Apr 2014
Avvenirista said:
ChangeLeopardon said:

Just remember for a moment what this bulletin board we're posting on right now is about and then please tell me why anyone would even bring how the US animation (live action too?) industry works in regards to renewing TV series' seasons.
Now I'm not saying that people here need to know all the inner workings of the anime industry, because I obviously don't, but reading about someone being shocked that Orphen, a TV anime that is based on what you could call a classic light novel series, that is properly budgeted and that has a steady amount of watchers is reaching its third season is what's actually dumbfounding to me.
I think it's a safe assumption that somebody asking why it got renewed doesn't know any of this. Or do you think the person who is asking if a show is more popular in Japan would know that it, in fact, is more popular in Japan?

Anyways, I'm no longer interested in this conversation. See ya.
Jan 23, 2023 12:05 PM

Sep 2020
ChangeLeopardon said:
Avvenirista said:
I think it's a safe assumption that somebody asking why it got renewed doesn't know any of this. Or do you think the person who is asking if a show is more popular in Japan would know that it, in fact, is more popular in Japan?

The person in question should've done his own homework instead of being ''shocked'' and ''baffled'' at the production committee's decision to greenlight the third season of a ''sub-mid'' anime.
Jan 24, 2023 11:47 PM

Feb 2011
Avvenirista said:
ChangeLeopardon said:

The person in question should've done his own homework instead of being ''shocked'' and ''baffled'' at the production committee's decision to greenlight the third season of a ''sub-mid'' anime.

You're way too concerned about my opinion dude.

It is sub mid. I wouldn't waste too much time researching garbage like orphen when making a post got me my answer and a good amount of entertainment.

Win win situation for me

Jan 25, 2023 2:21 AM

Sep 2020
Scootboi said:
Avvenirista said:

It is sub mid. I wouldn't waste too much time researching garbage like orphen when making a post got me my answer and a good amount of entertainment.

Win win situation for me
Sure, suit yourself, but don't be expect user friendly replies when you make obnoxious threads like this one.
Jan 31, 2023 8:19 AM

Jan 2021
Avvenirista said:
ChangeLeopardon said:

Exactly, if it's on a 3rd season, it didn't suck in Japan and you are right, Orphen is a classic now, 28 years since "Heed My Call, Beast" and they wanted to keep it niche, since most of the ads are japanese centered. They don't even bothered to have an english page, they just post in japanese and people translate.
Jan 31, 2023 8:21 AM

Jan 2021
Scootboi said:
Avvenirista said:

Win win situation for me
You actually had it coming when you stated your opinion in such derogatory way. It's okay to criticize, but blatantly bashing it with no grounding at all gets you what you've got.
Jan 31, 2023 7:57 PM

Feb 2011
There's plenty of ground to bash this on. It's called having eyes and cognitive ability

Feb 1, 2023 2:41 AM

Jan 2021
Scootboi said:
There's plenty of ground to bash this on. It's called having eyes and cognitive ability
But you instead chose not to write a well grounded critic. It's not hard to point out the technical aspects like animation, photography and etc but to analyse the plot further you must read the source material.
Feb 3, 2023 9:05 PM
Jun 2016
Im with this guy, they really stepped up the production value from C-tier Isekai quality to proper B-tier anime.  Good enough for me, I'm biased from the original being...good?  Good is a strong word for it, but theres nostalgia there somewhere.
Mar 8, 2023 4:47 AM
Jun 2020
I actually love this series except for i hate one of the char(that Orphen sister or something like it), so i really happy to see this
Mar 10, 2023 10:03 AM
Sep 2017
I agree, I watched the original show twice and really did not like it. I haven't read the novels but the animes are not encouraging me to do so. If I don't like it I pass my time with other things, simple.
Mar 15, 2023 6:38 AM

Feb 2019
It’s extremely popular in Japan the LN is one of the best selling ever . Anime isn’t made for westerners.
Mar 16, 2023 9:58 PM

Feb 2008
It is gotta be a 4th season :D

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Mar 16, 2023 10:37 PM

Jan 2021
Blackbird said:
It is gotta be a 4th season :D
Yup! They'll cover all 20 books. Season 4 will pick books 16 to 20 and I hope for it to be at least 14 eps long. Both latter books, 19 and 20 are lengthy: 170 and 212 pages respectively. The shortest book is 16th, with 145 pages. Book 17 has 174 and book 18, 186. Soo, I guess 3 episodes for book 16 should cover it okay ish and all the others should be 4 in the least, with the 20th needing 5 episodes IMO. That would sum 20 episodes but we know Deen, they'll rush the shit out of it and call it a day. I just hope they at least keep what they're doing and don't fuck up Nanatsu style.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Majutsushi Orphen Hagure Tabi: Urbanrama-hen Episode 12 Discussion

KANLen09 - Apr 5, 2023

17 by dragynfaerie »»
May 16, 5:16 PM

Poll: » Majutsushi Orphen Hagure Tabi: Urbanrama-hen Episode 4 Discussion

KANLen09 - Feb 8, 2023

11 by Roch2001 »»
Jun 14, 2023 9:49 AM

Poll: » Majutsushi Orphen Hagure Tabi: Urbanrama-hen Episode 11 Discussion

KANLen09 - Mar 29, 2023

10 by MegamiRem »»
Apr 5, 2023 12:52 PM

Poll: » Majutsushi Orphen Hagure Tabi: Urbanrama-hen Episode 10 Discussion

Marinate1016 - Mar 22, 2023

18 by MegamiRem »»
Apr 5, 2023 11:46 AM

Poll: » Majutsushi Orphen Hagure Tabi: Urbanrama-hen Episode 9 Discussion

KANLen09 - Mar 15, 2023

18 by MegamiRem »»
Apr 5, 2023 11:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.