Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 29, 2022 3:07 AM
Mar 2018
I just wanna know why was this second season so bad? First season was amazing, had so much success they instantly confirmed S2 and S3, it was the same studio and they had more than enough time

So why did they screw it up so bad? Why did they cut content, changed the elements of the story and had horrible animation even when it was 12 episodes instead of 24? Did something happened that I missed cause it really doesn’t makes sense to me
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 29, 2022 3:27 AM

Nov 2011
I mean only the first half about the turtle was bad.
Jun 29, 2022 3:52 AM
Jun 2022
Everyones opinions are different, but imo S2 wasnt completely bad. It changed a lot too, most complain about it not being a revenge story anymore, I mean come on its an adventure anime, its not gonna stick with the revenge part for another season. The animation, its definitely a downgrade, who knows maybe the next season its better.
Jun 29, 2022 4:19 AM
Oct 2020
Artrevi said:
I just wanna know why was this second season so bad? First season was amazing, had so much success they instantly confirmed S2 and S3, it was the same studio and they had more than enough time

So why did they screw it up so bad? Why did they cut content, changed the elements of the story and had horrible animation even when it was 12 episodes instead of 24? Did something happened that I missed cause it really doesn’t makes sense to me

It was a boring part of the manga. But it’s canon to the story.
Jun 29, 2022 4:44 AM

Feb 2020
MidoFortune said:
And the second part with bad animation, story changes with no sense, plot holes, forced fanservice, etc
Jun 29, 2022 4:48 AM
Jul 2019
MidoFortune said:

this is just objectively wrong lmao
Jun 29, 2022 5:05 AM

May 2017
I read ahead after season 1 and this arc was boring as hell in the manga as well. If anything the anime improved some things.
Jun 29, 2022 5:12 AM
May 2020
MidoFortune said:

Second half isn’t great but certainty far better than the turtle bit.
Jun 29, 2022 5:20 AM

Feb 2021
Season 1 wasn’t even that good, it was decent up until the point Naofumi gets his revenge on Myne, after that the show lost what initially made it very interesting and just became another power fantasy.
Jun 29, 2022 6:36 AM

Apr 2015
This show was never good to begin with, people are just realizing that in this season.
Jun 29, 2022 6:57 AM
Jan 2022
I didnt read manga, did other people think story arc in season 3 will be boring or better?
Jun 29, 2022 8:52 AM
Jan 2017
Artrevi said:

new director is the only reason lmao dude totally butchered this show.
Jun 29, 2022 8:58 AM

Mar 2015
MidoFortune said:
nah this entire season is garbaggio
Am I a good person? No. But do I try to be better every single day? Also no
Jun 29, 2022 9:25 AM
• Mafumafu Fan •

Apr 2018
Thread cleaned, please keep it civil and don't derail it again or the thread will be locked and punishments will be handed out

AMQ: StephWeeb
Discord: drsteph
Join me on AnimeMusicQuiz!
Jun 29, 2022 9:28 AM

Sep 2009
Nothing they could do about it. The author hated the Turtle arc but they couldn't skip it without explaining where alot of characters come from.
Jun 29, 2022 9:36 AM

Mar 2021
A lot of main staff changed for this season. That's the main reason for a weak season.
Jun 29, 2022 10:25 AM
Feb 2021
ShadowUnown said:
This show was never good to begin with, people are just realizing that in this season.

season 1 was amazing but season 2 is straight ass
Jun 29, 2022 11:47 AM
Jan 2021
It’s not that bad, people just love to hate and bandwagon. If anything the first half was at worst average, I mean even if the arc wasn’t great, it was still better than most isekai. The whole anime community loves to hate on things, so I’m never surprised
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Jun 29, 2022 12:07 PM
Sep 2021
There is one thing that i noticed.
People started to hate it early on in the episodes already.

And i think the problem was that there was a bad first impression.
I believe they try to make some make the sounds have a "outside" kind of effect with the scenes outside the spirit turtle. But i think this is recieved as plain out bad audio.
I am a bit dissepointed that alot of bad comments are being created just because of that

This also happand in season 1 with the undead dragon scenes, but it felt more fitting there as if the area is 'plagues' and it didnt feel as bad.

The other reason i think is that there is only 12 episdes, vs season 1 having 25 episodes (effective 27 worth of episodes if u count epi 1 being an hour) the impression of world/ character building and instantly building from drama makes the experience very different, so i think alot of people automaticly become dissepointed if they expect the same idea from season 2.

Personally i think they did season 2 very well, aside from the audio issues early on i also felt a bit sad about it.

Other then that i think they put really well work in the art. Not throughout everything but in the highlights of actions on which the emotions are drawn are really cool, well detailed and personally drew me in. (for example just before striking the turtle heart where Raphtalia looks to ost) Things like that score high in my book at least.

You get a fair attachment to Ost and Rishia as well in a fiarly short amount of time. Even though people complain its bad here and there i just can't really see their arguments why it is so. Its well made in alot of points and but perhaps loses it on first impression since the tempo suddenly goes pretty quick with a few things.

From adaptation stand point i can only say positive things. (very minor spoiler alert)
Can't remember Ost in the novels but its a great addition. In the light novels its a bit more borish straight forward. Hell they dont even go to the other world as they did in the anime. So finding what world is behind the waves is pretty cool. Naofumi was pretty much OP already in the current world, so loved to see how they suddenly goes to 1 and get messed with again from scratch.

Yep got way more positives then negatives in my mind.

Jun 29, 2022 12:19 PM
Jul 2020
"the animators are asking the same questions to themselves." - me
Toxic fans:- using the anime list of the user to criticize his opinions on a different anime.

If you cannot tolerate others taste delete your mal account☮️.
Jun 29, 2022 12:33 PM

Feb 2018
ShadowUnown said:

Wise words man, it happened to me. I loved S1, but on second thought (after watching S2) I did realize than only the first half was good, but much else was meh, specially the Pope fight.
Jun 29, 2022 12:40 PM

Sep 2021
Massdrop said:
Artrevi said:

new director is the only reason lmao dude totally butchered this show.

Mhm after I learned that it explained so much. I think otherwise, most of the original staff stayed for Season 2? And they did also bring in DR Movie to assist with some things. This new director really hurt it though.

We can always go somewhere again.
✧✧✧✧✧✧
profilewatchingart credit

Jun 29, 2022 12:45 PM

Oct 2010
What I can imagine.
Budget was low.
So they went and used manga shots as key frames filling gaps with talks and something 3D.
Director was there in name only. Or he is incredibly incompetents.
Scripts was direct extraction from source without any "gap filling" or changes required to translate to another media.
I get that first part was boring in a source, but second part is not really better and suffers from cuts instead.

E.g. I could never understand turtle scale. It does not look that big when walks or they cut its head. But then bam! — three mountains and a city on top. And the maze inside. This is not just miss. That means nobody cared about making solid work in a first place. Just use as little money as possible to get through.
Jun 29, 2022 1:35 PM
Apr 2022
Artrevi said:

to be technical the second season wasn't even official for like a year or 2 after season one and was up in the air, but they made sure to confirm season 3 in production while season 2 started airing so we shouldn't have to wait too long
Jun 29, 2022 1:37 PM
Apr 2022
cringeylazy said:
MidoFortune said:

this is just objectively wrong lmao

yeah this was more execution of the anime then a bad story, they just failed on this aspect of it but it did get better and we started to see more of that first season come out towards the end
Jun 29, 2022 2:01 PM

Aug 2019
Jcwildturkey101 said:
Artrevi said:

to be technical the second season wasn't even official for like a year or 2 after season one and was up in the air, but they made sure to confirm season 3 in production while season 2 started airing so we shouldn't have to wait too long

Season 2 & 3 was officially announced 2 months after season 1 finished at the Crunchyroll Expo in 2019.
Jun 29, 2022 2:15 PM
Apr 2022
Yaggamy said:
Jcwildturkey101 said:

Season 2 & 3 was officially announced 2 months after season 1 finished at the Crunchyroll Expo in 2019.
I'm done, who ever is messing with the reality switch needs to stop, I see what it says now but I swear season one came out 2018 I watched in 2018 and it just dropped off and no one anywhere had any idea if we would ever get a season 2 (I read dozens of articles) now NOWWWW it say 2019 wtf send me back to my reality
Jun 29, 2022 2:25 PM

May 2020
I've been mulling it over as well, honestly I have a hard time pinpointing exactly what the problem is but here are some thoughts:

-Rushed to oblivion. Within just a few episodes you're supposed to be introduced to the spirit turtle with little to no foreshadowing, "bond" with Ost, be invested in and develop an irrational hate for Kyou and feel bad for Ost after she's gone. It's all too fast with hardly any substance. All throughout the season I found myself asking, how is any of this building on season 1?
-It feels like every character is in stasis which in turn makes the whole season feel pointless. The author has nothing new to say that wasn't already said better in s1.
- Everything in this season leads to a confrontation Kyou and honestly when we finally got there at the end I just did not care at all.

So yeah, maybe the LN motivated the whole thing better but the anime just didn't have a hook. Comparatively s1 immediately establishes a hook in ep1.
Jun 29, 2022 2:51 PM
Jul 2020
It wasn’t completely good or bad. It just didn’t live up to the first season but at the same time how do you expect it to
Jun 29, 2022 3:12 PM
Jul 2021
Anjuro said:

-It feels like every character is in stasis which in turn makes the whole season feel pointless. The author has nothing new to say that wasn't already said better in s1.

I've been trying to put my finger on why this (entire) season felt off and this is a big part of it, I believe. Literal stasis, in terms of the (too many) characters in a group just standing around in the back while something happened, and also in the removal of the RPG progression and elements. Here characters just used the same old basic techniques until *poof* they pull a new move out of their ass that's needed to defeat whatever obstacle popped up in their way. I think there was only one leveling scene in the entire season and they slideshowed their way through it!
Jun 29, 2022 3:26 PM
Apr 2022
Yaggamy said:
Jcwildturkey101 said:

I am sorry about the confusion but like I said earlier this is weird, I mainly remembered it cause it was the same year my mother inlaw passed and I was watching it in the hospital on my phone so this has actually freaked me out, and it's not the only anime/manga I've found with dates that didn't match up, has anyone else seen thought this, like domestic girlfriend manga when did the last volume release cause I finished it in 2019 but it says it didn't come out until 2020, I'm loosing it
Jun 29, 2022 3:29 PM

Jul 2019
frdrchtg said:
Everyones opinions are different, but imo S2 wasnt completely bad. It changed a lot too, most complain about it not being a revenge story anymore, I mean come on its an adventure anime, its not gonna stick with the revenge part for another season. The animation, its definitely a downgrade, who knows maybe the next season its better.

Look, you either stick with Revenge driven or not. I'm okay with silly adventure but the core of the show was revenge and it's not there. Plus, the characters got significant progression.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Jun 29, 2022 3:30 PM

Dec 2014
It's the VAIRUS, the world still hasn't completely recovered.

That's probably what they'll say, and it could be true. But we know at this rate, anime is gonna end in the next decade if BIG shows keep degrading in quality like this.
TonyicJun 29, 2022 3:33 PM
Jun 29, 2022 3:36 PM

Aug 2018
it was never good to begin with. Just a garbage isekai/battle shounen with a garbage hook to lure in incels.
Jun 29, 2022 4:29 PM

May 2020
Stink_Bug said:
Anjuro said:

I've been trying to put my finger on why this (entire) season felt off and this is a big part of it, I believe. Literal stasis, in terms of the (too many) characters in a group just standing around in the back while something happened, and also in the removal of the RPG progression and elements. Here characters just used the same old basic techniques until *poof* they pull a new move out of their ass that's needed to defeat whatever obstacle popped up in their way. I think there was only one leveling scene in the entire season and they slideshowed their way through it!

Agreed. There is definitely a clear lack of direction. To me it kind of seems like the beginning (season 1) of the show was about naofumi being unfairly mistreated and overcoming the odds and once that plotline had run its course the author didn't know what to do next so he literally places the characters in a parallel universe to effectively replay s1 with "movie rules" (characters and circumstances are not allowed to meaningfully change or develop) and at the end of the season we are virtually at the same place as we were at the start.
Jun 29, 2022 5:08 PM

May 2020
Artrevi said:

Bro I'm wondering the same thing, s1 was in my top 10 of all time anime, but if s1 was a 10/10, s2 was like a 6/10 at best.... I'm broken up about it.
Jun 29, 2022 7:15 PM
Aug 2018
too many annoying characters, especially the main villain the bastard kyo, I always get emotional every time he talks/sees his face
Jun 29, 2022 8:03 PM

Oct 2021
Plain ass storyboard and director really slept for the whole season which can be seen in his lack of participation in SB/ED .

Especially the animation production of shield hero s2 was totally abysmal which you can easily see from your naked eye .
EP#13 totally did in a haste lemme give you some numbers
5 storyboarders , 4 Episode directors, 18 + Animation directors, 42 key animator’s and 5 production assistant solely for this Ep #13 .
DR movie which helped them through out the whole season isn’t even credited in last episode lol how can they casually remove DR movie .

I don’t have high hopes for s3 .

Season 2 of shield hero adaptation is worse than a typical isekai adaptation even Isekai Maou to Shoukan Shoujo no Dorei Majutsu Ω and Ore dake Haireru Kakushi Dungeon can be said good compared to shield hero s2
Jun 30, 2022 1:21 AM
Mar 2020
the source material was already bad in the first place. and because of that drops in LN sales, thus the anime budget also goes down. if you check, its a different director. meaning a whole different team adapting this compare to S1. Its been 3 years since so something must happened with the original team refuse to do it and they had to find other team to continue this project.
Jun 30, 2022 1:52 AM
Apr 2017
The first season had an interesting premise: the hated hero. That was the appeal of the show and the only trait that made it different from a blank slate isekai... But that ended in the very first season. Now it's just a regular isekai with nothing special going for it. Sure, some people might still like it, but for most people this show ended it's main premise in the first season and that's it.
Jun 30, 2022 4:13 AM
Jun 2012
The 2nd season isn't much worse than the 1st. Just less edgy. Kyo is just a cartoonishly evil villain with no redeeming qualities for what he does and definitely no charm. Just like Malty, he's just evil for the sake of being evil. Similar to Oberon from SAO as well.
Jun 30, 2022 1:44 PM
Aug 2021
In fact, it started well, but after that, it got worse, especially Naofumi, he started to transform into Kirito, adding a new waifu to his harem in every episode
Jul 1, 2022 12:14 AM

Mar 2012
There are a share of reasons, mostly points that have been elaborated on.

1. This season adapted probably the most boring part in the manga. I read ahead in the manga after season 1 and the spirit tortoise arc was so god damn boring that I stopped reading in the middle of it. I had a bad feeling it also wouldn’t translate well over to an anime version and lo and behold, it didn’t.

2. With only 12 episodes to work with, characters and plot didn’t get a chance to get fully fleshed out. If this were a two-cour, it may have been better, especially the half where they go to the other world…but it’s hard to say. I didn’t get to that part in the manga, so I don’t know just how much content was cut or rushed through.

3. Naofumi lost what made him such a great character. What made Naofumi so interesting in the first season was his gritty personality, his motivation for growing stronger and his intellect for figuring out how to win battles strategically with the various shield types that he acquired. This season, he was lacking all of these aspects. Naofumi wasn’t a focal point (it instead felt like ALL of the focus was put on the characters around Naofumi). He essentially felt like a background character going through the motions. It also seemed like he was CONSTANTLY getting bailed out by his posse instead of leading them.

4. Villains weren’t fleshed out or interesting. Not that this was something the first season excelled in considering the priest was a villain that came out of complete nowhere, but everyone and their mother hated Myne, so that was an interesting villain. However, the Book Vassal weapon wielder (his name escapes me…he’s that uninteresting)…just felt so contrived. His motivations made zero sense and he felt like one of those characters that was written to be evil for the sake of being evil. I felt he could have been interesting if the anime dived more into why he became the way he did, but it blew past his back story at record speed.

5. The anime is getting a little too harem-baited. Let’s face it…the harem started getting too big when Melty was let into the party. Add Rishia, Ost, Yomogi (at least she still had eyes on the Book dude) and Kizuna…it’s just getting ridiculous at this point. Add a frigging dude to the shield hero’s party for crying out loud! Getting tired of all these girls fawning all over Naofumi.

6. Glass, L’Arc and Therese went from strong and interesting characters to COMPLETE afterthoughts. I mean hell, even when a portion of the anime focused on them with Raphtalia, they felt so shoehorned in.

7. The final battle/climax was so rushed, that it felt like a One Punch Man fight. The tension was completely lacking in the second to last episode that when it was over, my general response is, “that’s it? That’s all it took to bring down the ‘supervillain’ of this season?” I felt both the fight with that priest and the battle against, Glass, L’Arc and Therese in Season 1 had a ton more tension than this fight.

8. The final episode felt like a filler. They could have ended it after the second-to-last episode and had the same result. I mean shoot, I actually thought it was the last episode until I went back to MAL and it said there was one more episode.

All-in-all, it was a bad season. I sure hope Season 3 is a lot better, but I will admit this season didn’t instill a lot of confidence in me that it will get better.
Jul 1, 2022 1:39 AM

Jun 2013
We'll never know just due to the nature of Japanese businesses.

But I think some reasonable possibilities are:
Crunchyroll Producing this is a huge red flag.
New Director
Citrus is also scrambling to get ready for their flag ship IP Made in Abyss' 2nd Season

With a narrative of something like this: S1 was an unexpected hit and turned into a real underdog performer in 2019 and grasped a notable following in the West. Crunchyroll has rapidly grown in the past few years and now have an extremely robust merchandizing business and have gone on to invest heavily in certain productions they believe will be perform well for them and thus well here in the West as 90% of normies just pay for a CR sub. Despite S1s popularity and positive reception, S2 clearly was put on the backburner for a few years by Citrus with them focusing on Revue Starlight and Made in Abyss (Both are blinding examples of what this studio is capable of). Crunchyroll probably began putting more pressure on them and offered more and more financing which Citrus eventually said "Fine" and threw this together to keep the lights on and everyone fed while the A and B teams finish up planning and start production on MIA S2. Either way, new season means renewed interest, which means new merchandising, new figures, and big money for Crunchyroll regardless if it's dog shit or good.

Everything above is total speculation based on the basic facts of the situation but I think it's a reasonable scenario.
SurgetJul 1, 2022 2:40 PM
Jul 1, 2022 2:31 AM
Oct 2021
The only good part was when the baby raccoon was praying for Ost.
Jul 1, 2022 6:45 AM

Mar 2022
I liked S1 because MC was treated like garbage, was framed and it was an overall unwelcoming (for him) world where he had to do shady things to get by (including getting a slave). I had no issues of him been "OP" at some point, but I liked his attitude towards others and the lack of acknowledgment of his achievements.
Besides the slow pace of early S2 episodes and a boring af turtle business the main issue I have is him really becoming another Jesus-kun of sort. And there is zero character building or exploring to work around the issue of main plot, there are no jokes to at least have a good time as the series take itself seriously so it feels boring.
Quality wise it's also lacking with lots of static shots and dragging pauses during dialogues. (I still have no idea what made them use a disgusting 3d turtle)
Disappointing.
Jul 1, 2022 6:55 AM

May 2021
I have no clue why either. Different team? No resources? The second reason seems unlikely since these guys had the balls to make the 13th episode a recap after rushing through so much content in 12 episodes which even an anime-only could feel.

Jul 1, 2022 12:41 PM
Mar 2017
Well they don't have Slut in season 2, so she must have been why season 1 was good. To be honest season 2 was just more about rules being explained and world building. They basically had every answer for every situation and there wasn't much conflict. Any time it looked like they might have it I was only for a brief moment before they steamrolled it. They pretty easily owned a turtle god, and despite being reset to level 1 it didn't take long to all the sudden have maxed gear to beat anyone immediately thanks to Kazunas crystal from a demon lord or what ever.
Jul 1, 2022 1:03 PM
Jul 2018
I think the studio wanted to go for an already established brand and create a second season at the lowest possible cost, knowing that viewers will watch it after a great first season, so they will earn a lot of money while spending a little. A bit of disrespect for the fans on their part, but well ...
Jul 1, 2022 9:31 PM
Dec 2021
Ayuima said:
Well they don't have Slut in season 2, so she must have been why season 1 was good. To be honest season 2 was just more about rules being explained and world building. They basically had every answer for every situation and there wasn't much conflict. Any time it looked like they might have it I was only for a brief moment before they steamrolled it. They pretty easily owned a turtle god, and despite being reset to level 1 it didn't take long to all the sudden have maxed gear to beat anyone immediately thanks to Kazunas crystal from a demon lord or what ever.

To be clear on the "max level gear" part, it took them ROUGHLY A MONTH to obtain enough levels for Naofumi, Raphtalia, Rishia, and Filo to be on par WITH HEROES THAT HAD BEEN BORN IN THAT WORLD.

Because, you know, the many months it took Naofumi to achieve those levels in S1 should just be shortened, right?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Season 2 Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 29, 2022

233 by SanessyAdversary »»
May 21, 11:53 PM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Season 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 22, 2022

234 by SanessyAdversary »»
May 21, 9:14 AM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Season 2 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2022

295 by SanessyAdversary »»
May 21, 1:47 AM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Season 2 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 4, 2022

118 by Palupark »»
May 12, 9:03 AM

» Why the hate? ( 1 2 )

RealityChanges - Mar 14

63 by ziovice »»
Apr 6, 12:15 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.