Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 4, 2021 10:17 AM
May 2021
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
First impressions? I think it was okay, but Red Hood last week was better. Not a huge fan of martial arts.
Jul 4, 2021 10:18 AM

Oct 2017
This felt kind of unique and I like the artstyle. MC seems likeable and the girl's beautiful. She's really strong too. I liked the short action in this chap and also the vibes this is giving off. Good start imo, hopefully this'll turn out great.
Jul 4, 2021 10:34 AM

Jan 2018
Neru had a really good start. I really dig the artstyle. The fights were drawn well too. I'm looking forward to it.
ARK-13Jul 4, 2021 10:41 AM
Jul 4, 2021 10:51 AM
Jan 2021
As a first chapter, it left me quite unimpressed. The chapter was loose and all over the place, with many aspects of it leaving me confused and unintrigued. The mc's backstory seemed cool, but the execution of said backstory was subpar at best. Other characters were introduced just for the sake of being introduced, and felt rather out of place, such as the mc's friend (most likely). The female character had a very odd place in setting up the first chapter as well, as she seemed to be a person deviating from what the main character would become as a character in the story, but then miraculously was another martial artist attending what SEEMED to be a secret martial arts school or camp or whatever it will end up being. I will say, however, that the whole action sequence that had arisen from what was rather a measly chapter was actually quiet enjoyable, merely due to our female character telling quite the interesting story as it all took place. I could definitely imagine how mystical and enticing a scene like that could be with the appropriate ambient sounds and scoring if it were to ever receive an animation (not too hopeful), even though keeping it imaginative works well with me anyways. All in all, it was a mediocre first chapter with EXTREMELY little flare to it in my personal opinion, but that doesn't mean it can't get better in the future. Only time will tell, and I'll most certainly be keeping my eye on it.
Jul 4, 2021 11:26 AM

Aug 2012
Decent. No real strong hook presented here to continue reading, and not much of an idea of how the series is going to look going forward, but I quite enjoy the art style and if nothing else I like the idea, I like martial arts, I really like swords, and I like that romance might be a key component of this, judging from the Akebi & Neruma scene, which was easily the highlight of the chapter. I think it's just a cool set-piece, made-wise use of those scribbles, and the final strike double page was pretty good.

I imagine finding his grandfather will wind up being a driving force for the story at some point. I do like Neru's plight here is simply the inability to pursue what he wants to do, with the lack of people to spar with as everybody is focused on other avenues, arguably more important ones to real life. Neru's not interested in just following the normal path of college and exams, the lack of his future-path, he just wants to carry one improving himself and doing what he loves. That's moderately relatable at least.

Again still ultimately just a decent start, but I'll stick with it for awhile.
Jul 4, 2021 11:12 PM
Nov 2020
Loved it for now atleast. 1st chapter was good and I really hope other chapters will be good as well. I'm looking forward to the awesome fight scenes if it will have any. I'm a big fan of Martial Arts and as a little bit of martial artist myself, I want this thing to turn into something really good and to look forward to. I'm giving 7/10 as for the first chapter.
Jul 5, 2021 5:09 PM
Aug 2018
As far as I'm concerned there hasn't been a lot of martial arts series recently so I'm excited to see where this goes. Art is good, main characters are likeable, that's all I can really say for just one chapter...
Jul 6, 2021 5:44 AM

Feb 2012
LukasPookas said:
As a first chapter, it left me quite unimpressed. The chapter was loose and all over the place, with many aspects of it leaving me confused and unintrigued. The mc's backstory seemed cool, but the execution of said backstory was subpar at best. Other characters were introduced just for the sake of being introduced, and felt rather out of place, such as the mc's friend (most likely). The female character had a very odd place in setting up the first chapter as well, as she seemed to be a person deviating from what the main character would become as a character in the story, but then miraculously was another martial artist attending what SEEMED to be a secret martial arts school or camp or whatever it will end up being. I will say, however, that the whole action sequence that had arisen from what was rather a measly chapter was actually quiet enjoyable, merely due to our female character telling quite the interesting story as it all took place. I could definitely imagine how mystical and enticing a scene like that could be with the appropriate ambient sounds and scoring if it were to ever receive an animation (not too hopeful), even though keeping it imaginative works well with me anyways. All in all, it was a mediocre first chapter with EXTREMELY little flare to it in my personal opinion, but that doesn't mean it can't get better in the future. Only time will tell, and I'll most certainly be keeping my eye on it.

I agree, it wasn't a well written first chapter. It's just there to establish the school setting and the rivalry. I can see the axe already.
Jul 6, 2021 10:10 AM
Aug 2018
Well, it seems to want to mix action with romance, so I guess I'm in for the ride. I liked this first episode alright. Good humor, too. But there's still room for the story to grow.
Jul 6, 2021 9:25 PM

Feb 2012
I really enjoyed the art style for this one. It has a much more classical look that seems appropriate for a martial arts manga. Beyond that, this chapter was framing chapter that did little more than establish a rough time and place for the setting. The good news is that this chapter ended with the main characters going to the martial arts school it seems pretty clearly that this is where the story will ultimately take place.

The main concern I have is that because this author was unable to make good story for the first chapter makes me doubt he will be able to do so for the rest of the story. I just hope this first chapter was something the editors forced to turn out some way than what the author actually wanted.
Jul 7, 2021 12:52 AM

Sep 2017
Seems fine I guess
DisguisedHyperJul 10, 2021 1:21 PM
Jul 7, 2021 3:14 AM

Jan 2011
Didn't particularly enthral me or anything.
Jul 7, 2021 8:01 PM
Jan 2017
The first chapter was okay, there were some uninteresting moments but the action was good. The art is unique, gives off the old shounen vibe but this could've used some extra pages to explain more things, felt like it was a bit too fast paced but it has potential. Red Hood had a more interesting premise and execution of its first chapter so hopefully this gets better in the future.
Jul 7, 2021 11:43 PM
Jul 2018
Decent start, a bit cramped.
Jul 10, 2021 10:56 AM

Jun 2015
Meh. I'll read a few more chaps, but seems quite basic.
Jul 14, 2021 2:08 AM

Mar 2020
That art in pages 38-47 were insane!
"The best defence is a good offence" - Kiyoshi Fujino (Prison School EP 11)

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neru: Bugei Dogyou Chapter 11 Discussion

MegamiRem - Sep 26, 2021

4 by mad_uvu »»
Mar 6, 10:01 PM

» Chapter Count

astrogonza - Sep 14, 2022

4 by astrogonza »»
Sep 15, 2022 2:29 AM

Poll: » Neru: Bugei Dogyou Chapter 18 Discussion

MegamiRem - Nov 14, 2021

9 by Einya »»
Nov 21, 2021 1:30 PM

Poll: » Neru: Bugei Dogyou Chapter 17 Discussion

MegamiRem - Nov 7, 2021

2 by lizzziziz »»
Nov 11, 2021 7:11 AM

Poll: » Has this series been axed?

_Bakemono_ - Nov 4, 2021

7 by lizzziziz »»
Nov 11, 2021 7:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.