Forum Settings
Forums

whats more important the peak or the ending of an anime?

New
whats more important the peak or the ending of an anime?
Jul 3, 2021 8:42 PM

Jan 2009
in psychology there is this thing called Peak-End Rule that explains why we remember more the Peak and Ending of an experience like watching an anime show

original question is does bad ending ruins the whole anime but i changed it now since some people believe in the journey is more important than the destination

i go for the Peak of the anime most of the time
degJul 3, 2021 11:40 PM
Jul 3, 2021 8:44 PM

Sep 2018
It makes it harder to recommend, but it does not ruin the overall quality of a show. For example, I hated Sukasuka and Katanagatari endings, but I still consider them great.
Edit: So I think the peak is more important. Stuff like Aot, Death Note, and Code Geass will likely remain highly reviewed due to their peaks being so high.
rohan121Jul 3, 2021 9:21 PM
Jul 3, 2021 8:49 PM

Jan 2009
rohan121 said:
It makes it harder to recommend, but it does not ruin the overall quality of a show. For example, I hated Sukasuka and Katanagatari endings, but I still consider them great.

understandable that is also part of Peak-End Rule that the Peak of an anime is important too

i guess the thread should have asked if either the Peak Or Ending is whats more important
Jul 3, 2021 8:52 PM

Oct 2018
It depends on how bad an ending is.

Most times it won't ruin, I'll mention GoT as an example.
The last season (actually it wasn't just the last season) destroyed everything they were building up to that point, so the ending ruined the whole show.
Right now I can't think of an anime in the same situation.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Jul 3, 2021 8:53 PM

Mar 2019
It does leave a bad taste in mouth, but doesn't ruin it.
Yeah, it might ruin it for people who either never liked it as much, or they expected too much, or have short attention spans.

Anime was it's best 20000 years ago, when cavemen drew art with real depth.
Modern anime is all garbage. I miss great old days of anime.
Jul 3, 2021 8:53 PM

Jan 2009
Phosphophyllita said:

have not seen Wonder Egg Priority yet? lol
Jul 3, 2021 8:55 PM

Apr 2019
That depends a lot.

For example: The end of NHK ni Youkoso! it's not the best, but it doesn't spoil the whole anime. The ending of Brigadoon: Marin to Melan, they tried to do a lot of plot twist and the anime was LOADED WITH HOLES IN THE SCRIPT and kind of threw everything in the trash.

If it's just a bad ending, it doesn't spoil everything, no matter how lame. But if it's that ending that makes everything else go to waste (most recent example is Shingeki no Kyojin), then it really yes (although Shingeki no Kyojin was already rubbish after season two).
Jul 3, 2021 8:57 PM

Oct 2020
For me, I'd say the ending is probably the most important, unless the peak is just insanely memorable and well-written (say something like Clannad Afterstory where the conclusion was meh but it had episode 18).

A decent show could be ruined or at least made a lot less enjoyable by a sub-par ending like IMO Violet Evergarden, GITS SAC 1st season, and Omoide Poroporo
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 3, 2021 8:58 PM

Oct 2018
deg said:
Phosphophyllita said:

Oh yes, it was so horrible that I even forgot.
Jesus, thank you for reminding me
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Jul 3, 2021 8:59 PM

Jan 2021
This is a very good question. I'm probably more of a peak kinda guy. Unless the ending is like really really disappointing I can come to terms with an unsatisfactory one and still think fondly of an anime I enjoyed for the most part. I'm a big shonen guy, and most have pretty slow burning arcs or pacing issues or what have you, but that doesn't take away from how much I enjoy them for the most part. An ending usually doesn't make or break my experiences with anime, but I do think that it can. Again, great question.
Jul 3, 2021 9:01 PM

Jun 2019
The first season of Demon Slayer did not have a bad ending, although the peak of the series did happen several episodes before it ended. Then there was a bunch of training for the last few episodes, which I didn't hate, especially since it was meant to lead up to the movie.
Another case, however, would be like with Erased where the ending was rushed and made you think, "That's it?" Although even this didn't ruin the anime for me.
The only time an anime ending ruined the whole show for me was with Wonder Egg Priority, because it was the last few episodes which built up mediocrely compared to the first half of the show. This is just my opinion, of course:0
Overall, yeah the peak is what matters most IMO. As long as it's amazing, like with Demon Slayer, then the actual ending doesn't have to be quite as explosive.
Jul 3, 2021 9:03 PM

Dec 2015
The ideal would be the peak to be the ending of the anime.
If Ufotable makes an anime remake of the Fate route and Tsukihime I can say that I lived a full life.
Jul 3, 2021 9:08 PM

Jul 2016
for me, the peak. i'm used to an ending disappointing me, so i don't really want to focus on it due to what i want to be fulfilled or exacted as a conclusion is typically not a popular collection of thoughts. if an anime's ending *does* impress or satisfy me, then that's an outlier. but definitely whatever arc/peak leaving a lasting impact on me will be what i mainly take from the adventure. i'll remember that the most over how it ends, and even now i am failing to remember an ending of one of my favorites that i even finished the manga of but currently recalling multiple pivotal moments.
Jul 3, 2021 9:19 PM
Oct 2020
Personally, I tend to forget the ending unless there was a lot riding on it or it was amazing, at worst I take off 1 point in ratings, but I tend to definitely remember peaks and other smaller details
Jul 3, 2021 9:25 PM
穂乃果は神

Oct 2015
I'll take the ending. I will be pissed if the ending of One Piece is shit. I don't mind a sloppy introduction, I find introductions to be rather harder. But you should have an idea how to conclude everything you've introduced afterward.

Just my personal preference? Ending > beginning.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 3, 2021 9:27 PM

Aug 2019
for me personally the ending is very important, because every time I think of the good moments in a show I’ll just be reminded of the ending; a bad ending also makes rewatching a show not worth it
Jul 3, 2021 9:29 PM

Jul 2017
Theoretically, the ending because it's essentially the aftermath and should be concluding the series nicely. But, most series' have poor/rushed endings in the first place so it kinda makes it pointless

idk when they're both good I feel like series' are remembered more for their endings rather than their peaks (think sports anime, or romance where the confession happens at the end)
Jul 3, 2021 9:37 PM
May 2021
I think the peak just makes the experience unforgettable and the ending is to make the story satisfying, if a anime have a good overall plot and climax you'll just expect a good ending to come out of it, so you don't really feel satisfied if an ending of an anime doesn't fit to the thing youre expecting or something like that XD
Jul 3, 2021 9:44 PM

Dec 2009
That varies, but I think the peak is way more important, you can usually forgive an work with an excelent peak but with a bad ending but if the peak is bad you might not even get to the ending.
Jul 3, 2021 10:11 PM

Nov 2013
The peak is important, but to me the ending is more.

No matter how good it was or how much I enjoyed a story, if the end is really bad, it will ruin my whole experience. Actually most of my low scores probably come from animes with endings that I did not like.
Jul 3, 2021 10:15 PM

Feb 2021
The Ending. Even if the peak of the Anime is good or bad it all depends on the ending.
The peak becomes totally obsolete if the Anime had a bad ending, but becomes memorable if the Anime had a good ending.
Jul 3, 2021 10:28 PM

Jul 2013
I'm more willing to forgive bad ending as long as the peak is high.
Jul 3, 2021 10:39 PM

Mar 2016
I think a bad ending is better than a bad peak.

Imo, the peak is what makes a story memorable even if the ending is bad.

On the other hand, if the story peak is bad, most of the people might not stick around to see the ending even though the ending is good.
Jul 3, 2021 11:00 PM

Aug 2020
I'd rather go for the average of the entire thing as a universal judgment is far more relevant than simply cherrypicking 2 points and ignoring the rest. Both peak and ending are just 2 different parts of the entirety but i'd say the ending has a higher chance of either saving or killing the story equally compared to peak. Not that it's more preferable or important, just riskier. Way riskier.

Rollout22 said:
An anime example is Monster. First 20ish episodes or so 10/10, then it slowly drove off a cliff and ended as like a 5 for me.
really? I thought that pretty much the entire first 60 eps was a 10/10 and the final 5th was a 7/10 for me. The ending meanwhile is a 10/10 if you ask me.
Jul 4, 2021 12:53 AM

Sep 2018
The ending doesn't affect the way I score that much, like +0 if it's good and -1 if it's bad.

But the peak? I don't think an anime can suddenly jump from mid to great. I mean that if the peak is great, everything around the peak is at least good or very good, so very well worth watching.
Jul 4, 2021 1:16 AM

Mar 2021
ending > peak

the ending plays more,
Jul 4, 2021 1:27 AM

May 2019
The peak is more important as long as the ending is fine and doesn't ruin the peak.
Jul 4, 2021 10:08 AM
Jul 2018
ending, you can be the greatest athlete of all time, if we find out that all was because of drug use after you got retired, the history will forget you, same with anime, you can start with a bang, if you finish like a drunk driver slamming into a tree and the car explodes and you burn to ashes, there's nothing left to bury
Jul 4, 2021 10:21 AM

Nov 2020
For me the peak is important, an amazing endings like S;G, FMAB, Furuba, Code Geass are very rare. So if the end's not on the level of GOT. I don't mind it being a lil mediocre or bad.

═════════════════════════════
You're going to be all right. You just stumbled over a stone in the road.
It means nothing. Your goal lies far beyond this. Doesn't it?
I'm sure you'll overcome this.
You'll walk again... soon.

═════════════════════════════
Jul 4, 2021 10:36 AM
Jan 2020
Got to remember that with anime many times the entire story isn't adapted yet,isnt written yet, or wasn't initially planned to be continuous but ended up being. In addition we can go many years between season so who knows when you will actually get the ending. Because of these things I value the peak of a show and whats it worth. Usually when a show is short like being one season for example I will judge it more harshly on the ending. Shows like Acca-13 and wonder egg priority get significantly punished for their endings because they are only 12 episodes, whereas a show like one piece or Aot can never really be significantly punished by their endings to me (maybe like 1 or something if its really bad) because I already got a lot of the shows. One show that kinda breaks the rules for me is darker than black. I think it has a terrible ending which isnt even shown too much but the show felt so great like 90% of it that its a very impactful show to me.
Jul 4, 2021 10:38 AM

Jan 2020
It's a tough question. I think both are important and it also depends on how high the peaks are and the quality of the ending.

But I think 10/10 peaks can make a somewhat average ending still a solid series overall. So maybe peaks?

Jul 4, 2021 1:23 PM

Oct 2019
Even though I picked "i do not know" in the poll, I'd argue that the peak is more important. I mean look at FMAB. Shit's mid the whole way through, and I couldn't care less about the ending. A good anime would make you care about how it ends by hitting a peak at some point.
Jul 4, 2021 3:45 PM

Feb 2020
@deg Thanks for this question, I used to think they were both equally important but this topic made me rethink the issue.

Cazqui-09 said:
for me, the peak. i'm used to an ending disappointing me, so i don't really want to focus on it due to what i want to be fulfilled or exacted as a conclusion is typically not a popular collection of thoughts. if an anime's ending *does* impress or satisfy me, then that's an outlier. but definitely whatever arc/peak leaving a lasting impact on me will be what i mainly take from the adventure. i'll remember that the most over how it ends, and even now i am failing to remember an ending of one of my favorites that i even finished the manga of but currently recalling multiple pivotal moments.

McPeenus said:
I think the peak just makes the experience unforgettable and the ending is to make the story satisfying, if a anime have a good overall plot and climax you'll just expect a good ending to come out of it, so you don't really feel satisfied if an ending of an anime doesn't fit to the thing youre expecting or something like that XD

I agree with these 2 opinions.
Among my favourites there isn't any that has a better ending than their peak(s), except maybe...

Godas said:
The ideal would be the peak to be the ending of the anime.

Like Cowboy Bebop.
Jul 4, 2021 10:58 PM

Jan 2020
deg said:
Phosphophyllita said:

I wouldn't go as far as saying that Wonder Egg Priority peaked, but the ending was just terrible. I was so content with everything until episode 10. Mind you I still haven't seen the special.

While I don't know how SnK ends, I can say it peaked so high at times that it will always remain my favorite. Some heights were unmatched, it makes it very memorable.
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
Jul 4, 2021 11:48 PM
危ないお兄さん

Nov 2016
See Vivy, an outstanding anime when aired but when reach final, not really best scene like before

Jul 5, 2021 12:17 AM

Feb 2013
having high average quality would be best..

More topics from this board

» Could you survive in the world of your favorite anime?

Spunkert - 47 minutes ago

9 by Chris_Concept »»
2 minutes ago

» Why do you think about Orihime from Bleach?

isolated-otaku - Yesterday

30 by Rndmguypassingby »»
13 minutes ago

» Anime fans ,how do u feel about slice of life anime???

Animystics - Yesterday

39 by Rndmguypassingby »»
18 minutes ago

» Which is the correct anime consumption posture?

SgtBateMan - Yesterday

19 by Rndmguypassingby »»
20 minutes ago

» Who here has a more Unconventional first ever anime?

TheBlockernator - Yesterday

35 by Hitotsuhan »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.