Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Mar 8, 2018 4:11 PM
Oct 2013
RedRoseFring said:

Overall, I enjoyed the Luffy vs Katakuri fight just as much as everyone else seems to have, and I dread what Toei is going to do to it.

Since it isn´t exceptional and shot itself in the foot during this chapter,there isn´t much to destroy. Despite my qualms with the Toei adapatation in resent years I quite enjoyed the Zou arc and the Doflamingo fight, which was serviceable. My point being that Toei does deliver decent content when they have too. It´s everything around it that drags the adaptation down. Like the colosseum fighters repeated stock animation I gleefully skipped,

RedRoseFring said:

As for the complaints about the finale, I have a couple of thoughts:

1) I think a lot of people are complaining because they actually like Katakuri as a honourable character unlike Luffy's other big wins. For Crocodile and Lucci, you wanted Luffy to beat the snot out of them because they were evil, but Katakuri actually shows respect and honour.
So while the fights had similar elements, the characters themselves make a difference in the outcome people expect. My initial reaction was also a bit of disappointment to see Katakuri lose, but I've come to appreciate the fantastic job Oda did with Katakuri to create such a strong reaction.

No one I heard about, had this complain. The most common similar complain people exclaimed was the lack of emotional investment. As someone who didn´t have any during the Rob Lucci or during the crocodile fight I found the Katakuri fight dissapointing regardles and overall poorly executed. Honestly the conclusion is terrible. It´s like a JJ Abrams Movie, it builds up and promises alot, but then ends up with a boring confusing
ending that satisfies no one and splitts the community. The pacing to this fight, like most of this arc was awful. Add a pointless inclusion and waste of panels on useless annoying characters like bug belly bitch sister king (I honestly forgott her name), and make the actual confrontation between the interesting people 15 pages long with several breaks inbetween. But this isn´t the worst offender to those who hated this chapter. I personally found it mediocre, but it´s the wasted potential promised last chapter that hurts the most. The setup from last chapter promised us the arguebly best fight in all of One Piece. And it´s gone! That´s where I see the biggest flaw.
RedRoseFring said:

2) I believe Oda made Katakuri too dominant for most of the fight. When I reflected on my initial bit of disappointment and re-read it, I felt that it wasn't as balanced as the Lucci fight. The blows they traded were too one-sided in Katakuri's favour while it was more even in the Lucci one.
Basically, I believe some of those complaining would not be so bitter if it wasn't portrayed so "one-sided"-ly.

People have thrown the term plot armor consistently around for this chapter. It´s because it was so blatant during this fight that only the most delusional hardcore fans will deny it, because of your aforementioned reasons. No tension = no mistery = no interest. Oda did a horrible job at blatantly telling us that Luffy will win this fight.
Remember the best parts of One Piece? That´s right, that´s when the Strawhats lost and we didn´t knew what would happen. This was an actual adventure. To quote Egoraptor. "This a tour to Disneeyland". This whole arc actually has nothing adventurous or suspenseful about it. It´s just a predictable mess, that cuts away whenver something exciting happens too forcefully keep us guessing. It´s the equivalent of having a kid go on a ride, but then take it down halfway and tell it that you prepared and even more amazing ride for it, rinse repeat. That´s whole cake island with the occasional character development sprinkled in.
IsterioMar 8, 2018 5:36 PM
Mar 8, 2018 8:55 PM

Jan 2014
Isterio said:

Since it isn´t exceptional and shot itself in the foot during this chapter,there isn´t much to destroy. Despite my qualms with the Toei adapatation in resent years I quite enjoyed the Zou arc and the Doflamingo fight, which was serviceable. My point being that Toei does deliver decent content when they have too. It´s everything around it that drags the adaptation down. Like the colosseum fighters repeated stock animation I gleefully skipped,

Well you say that, but some have said that this is one of the best if not the best fight in the series for them. I'm waiting for the anime adaptation like some others to keep things fair, but the ending in itself (or a single chapter) is certainly not enough to ruin the entirety of it. That just seems like such a......shallow mindset to take.

No one I heard about, had this complain. The most common similar complain people exclaimed was the lack of emotional investment. As someone who didn´t have any during the Rob Lucci or during the crocodile fight I found the Katakuri fight dissapointing regardles and overall poorly executed. Honestly the conclusion is terrible. It´s like a JJ Abrams Movie, it builds up and promises alot, but then ends up with a boring confusing
ending that satisfies no one and splitts the community. The pacing to this fight, like most of this arc was awful. Add a pointless inclusion and waste of panels on useless annoying characters like bug belly bitch sister king (I honestly forgott her name), and make the actual confrontation between the interesting people 15 pages long with several breaks inbetween. But this isn´t the worst offender to those who hated this chapter. I personally found it mediocre, but it´s the wasted potential promised last chapter that hurts the most. The setup from last chapter promised us the arguebly best fight in all of One Piece. And it´s gone! That´s where I see the biggest flaw.

It's pretty easy to infer from reviews that the bigger the Katakuri fanboy you are, the more disappointed you were with the conclusion. The Luffy fanboys on the other hand absolutely love it. It's just plain wrong to say no one was satisfied with it. Even with the split, some like myself have come to accept it because plainly speaking, it would be hypocritical otherwise. I think it's fairly easy to see how the love for a character can impact the satisfaction with a fight's conclusion.

No one likes Flambe, but that's precisely the point. Sure it was a way to sorta nerf Katakuri, but that's par for the course and actually led to a lot of people's favourite part of the entire fight: Katakuri defending Luffy.

People have thrown the term plot armor consistently around for this chapter. It´s because it was so blatant during this fight that only the most delusional hardcore fans will deny it, because of your aforementioned reasons. No tension = no mistery = no interest. Oda did a horrible job at blatantly telling us that Luffy will win this fight.
Remember the best parts of One Piece? That´s right, that´s when the Strawhats lost and we didn´t knew what would happen. This was an actual adventure. To quote Egoraptor. "This a tour to Disneeyland". This whole arc actually has nothing adventurous or suspenseful about it. It´s just a predictable mess, that cuts away whenver something exciting happens too forcefully keep us guessing. It´s the equivalent of having a kid go on a ride, but then take it down halfway and tell it that you prepared and even more amazing ride for it, rinse repeat. That´s whole cake island with the occasional character development sprinkled in.

You clearly dislike this arc just like you dislike the series as a whole, but I certainly think it was more than suspenseful enough with other content that's some of the best in the series.
As always, suspense is not only about the "what" but "how" something is executed as well.
We know that the Strawhats aren't going to die, but how exactly are they going to get away? If you are so confident in your claim that it's un-suspenseful, then enlighten us on how exactly the Strawhats (and Bege.....and Caesar too) are going to escape.
What was Pudding's last wish?
What is Big Mom going to do once she's sated?

You also cannot lie that you perfectly predicted events that already occurred.
Did you know that Big Mom ate a woman to get her powers? Or that her feud with the giants originated with her destroying a village when she was 5? That Streusen would be the one to save the BMP from the tamate box explosion? That Capone would go "Big Father"? That Pedro would blow himself up only for Perospero to walk it off?

The best parts of One Piece include both when they lost AND when they won. If I were honest, I'd say most people's favourite part is the conclusion to Ennies Lobby where Luffy won (My favourite is Luffy beating Crocodile, and that's still a win). Nothing precludes one from liking either outcome, and you'd only come off as a hypocrite for saying so when you claim Naruto is better even though many would argue it is worse in that respect.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Mar 8, 2018 11:46 PM
Sep 2016
@RedRoseRing

There is no point arguing with people like Isterio or this overly aggressive, rude and ignorant fellow harshtruth. They long lost interest in One Piece and instead of just dropping the manga altogether they just read it now to bitch and complain at every single trivial thing to convince themselves that the overall quality of the manga dropped instead of them just having grown out of it. The majority likes the fight and the arc as a whole. You just have to look at the ratings for this and pretty much every other chapter of this arc. At least 80-93% loved or liked the chapters and even in other places the people who say this arc is mediocre or sucks are in a very clear minority. That is also why they are so agressive most of the time and call everyone who disagrees with them a deluded fanboy.
TCRfanaticMar 8, 2018 11:51 PM
Mar 9, 2018 9:43 AM
Oct 2013
TCRfanatic said:
@RedRoseRing

There is no point arguing with people like Isterio or this overly aggressive, rude and ignorant fellow harshtruth. They long lost interest in One Piece and instead of just dropping the manga altogether they just read it now to bitch and complain at every single trivial thing to convince themselves that the overall quality of the manga dropped instead of them just having grown out of it. The majority likes the fight and the arc as a whole. You just have to look at the ratings for this and pretty much every other chapter of this arc. At least 80-93% loved or liked the chapters and even in other places the people who say this arc is mediocre or sucks are in a very clear minority. That is also why they are so agressive most of the time and call everyone who disagrees with them a deluded fanboy.

There is no point in arguing with delusional fanboys, that sit with their mouths wide open, behind Oda´s rear either. I find it quite rude that you dismiss my opinion, for being critical and accuse me of hating the series, despite the fact that I have praised it on multiple occasions and even called the Manga material from Shabody too timeskip the best Shounen manga I´ve read, while having it in my favorites list.

But there are resent examples. I gave last chapter a 4/5. This chapter just dissapointed. It didn´t deliver what last chapter promised us. One Piece hasn´t been as good as pre timeskip since the reintroduction of the Strawhats and I am more ciritical because I´ve seen most of the shit Oda recycles for the New World during Paradise while he doesn´t deliver on any of the promises he gave for the New World. I´m far longer a One Piece fan then most fanboys who eat his shit for breakfast and I am critical not because I hate One Piece, but I miss the diversity this series used to had.

So before you accuse people of being incapeable of discussion, clean your mouth first.
IsterioMar 9, 2018 10:14 AM
Mar 12, 2018 12:42 PM

Dec 2014
well the a funchapter luffy finally arrived and then some
May 18, 2018 8:40 AM

Feb 2013
An amazing end for the fight!
Katakuri knows Luffy will come back another time and take Mom down!
Lol, Mysteroms, it's surprising Luffy wasn't fooled by that disguise.
Sep 23, 2018 10:54 PM

Dec 2015
Absolutely great fight, looking forward to the rematch!
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Oct 27, 2018 3:55 AM

May 2017
holy shit .. that was epic.. katakuri gathering his last strength to ask luffy 1 question then finally, for the first time falling on his back.. Epic.. Luffy covering his mouth with his other hat out of respect was amazing.
Now let's see how this is going to end.
Dec 25, 2018 7:33 AM

Jun 2015
After all these years, whiteknighting finally paid off for Sanji.
Jan 21, 2019 5:45 AM

Nov 2012
NovaLord said:
De_Baer said:

Luffy had no business beating Crocodile with his extremely severe injuries (and being poisoned even) and he still won even though he should have been dead multiple times. Same against Lucci were he took more damage and 2 deadly hits at point blank range and still did not fall and ended the fight in his favor with his strongest attack. I can't remember anyone complaining about this back in the day and shouting "asspull" or "bad writing". Everyone accepted it and counted the fights among the best of the series. And please don't tell me that this fight against Katakuri is much different in this regard.

I know this might sound shocking to believe, but yes it is different. Plus you assume I didn't complain back then. I don't look too highly on Alabasta for some reasons but am forgiving because it was a different time back then. The Crocodile fight was bullshit but wasn't even the biggest bullshit part in the arc (Pell living). Even then the Crocodile part holds nothing on this as there is a difference in context and knowledge that we knew. When Luffy fought Crocodile we knew nothing about haki. So the excuse that Luffy is a rubber man or Crocodile is a sand man held more weight then they do now. Crocodile was OP'd cause of his fruit then Luffy must be the same cause of his. It wasn't just this but it was also the fact Luffy found his weakness. The reason Luffy won is because Crocodile who was OP because of his fruit had been weakened by water and was no longer at his best. His fruit was no longer a factor. Sure Luffy should've died after the stab wound but the excuse that he's made of rubber (and his body works different) held more weight back then. This is no longer the case because we know haki nullifies DF and given our current knowledge Luffy should've died (he should've died back then but those excuses held more weight back then). So when Katakuri is smacking him around he is hitting Luffy without having to deal with Luffy's devil fruit. I still think crocodile fight was bullshit but the context from what we knew back then is much different. In the fight against Lucci, the context still fits. Lucci had just barely gotten his devil fruit so it wasn't like he was able to make the most of it against Luffy. Luffy had tons of experience with his fruit whereas that was his first fight with his. Of course he was gonna be at a disadvantage. Plus it wasn't a one sided beatdown like Katakuri.

Not too mention Crocodile and Lucci are no Katakuri. There's a huge difference in their strength relative to the series. Crocodile was a simple dictator whereas Katakuri is supposed to be Big Mom's first mate. The top commander to a younkou, who are supposed to be endgame in the series. In other words Crocodile and Lucci are villains of the week whereas Katakuri is nearing endgame. Only thing Crocodile had going for him in the fight was his devil fruit but Katakuri is much more then that. He had his insane haki, superior strength, and superior use of a fruit similar to Luffys that was awakened. There aren't many fighters stronger than him. If you remember Marineford Whitebeards commanders where able to hold their own against admirals (even if they did lose that feat is impressive). That's the level a top commander like Katakuri should be at so for Luffy to just beat him because "lol stamina" is simply insulting. So Katakuri despite being near the top lacks this stamina after smacking around some guy but the guy getting battered and bled out somehow has the stamina to keep walking. Two admirals fought each other for five days and while Katakuri may not be at their level are you telling me he couldn't even last a day? Really? That's ridiculous and terrible writing. I don't care that Luffy will reach the top, I expect him to, but if he's gonna be stronger give him a logical progression to the top, not just asspull his way there. And yes his magical stamina is as asspull as it gets.

De_Baer said:

Oh, and Roger never ran away, you seem to confuse something here. It was even stated by Shanks that he wished sometimes that Roger would just run away but he didn't. Ace also did not run away because he inherited that trait from his father.

Funny how earlier in your post you claim people miss the point yet here you seem to forget what even happened in this arc. Read the manga. Big Mom said Roger ran away after reading the poneglyph. He didn't stay and fight, there was no reason why Luffy couldn't have done the same. It would've mirrored Roger.

De_Baer said:

As I already said, Luffys insane endurance has been a thing since the early major fights of the series. But there was more to this fight than him getting only 4 hits in on Katakuri. I think I explained it relatively well in my earlier post

You're literally doing the "lmao luffy has max stamina! just turn your brain off XD" argument. Your post is ridiculous. So you really expect people to believe that the guy with more haki depleted their haki faster then the guy with less haki who is getting curb stomped and desperately trying to stay alive? Are you forgetting how much haki is used up by gear fourth which luffy used in the fight? So Luffy who used gear fourth throughout the fight had haki but Katakuri didn't, like really. Or are we just supposed to turn our brains off and ignore that? Likewise why are you only focusing on haki and not physical damage? The amount of haki remaining is irrelevant if you're bleeding to death with broken bones. Physical damage also depletes how much haki you have so Luffy getting destroyed would affect his Haki level. Going by the simple logic in the series Luffy should've lost. This level of plot armor is similar to garbage series like Fairy Tail.

You seem to be a One Piece fanatic, so getting you to see the obvious will be next to impossible. I love One Piece not because its One Piece but because of the great writing. This is not the One Piece I love. You might be okay with this but those of that actually care for the quality will gladly criticize it. I still love this arc although not as much. I hope its explained as if Katakuri just let him go because otherwise this is just downright insulting to the intellect of his audience. This whole fight has just left a foul taste in my mouth. No person who truly loves One Piece should be okay with this.

Going to clarify a mistake in something you said.

When Luffy gets hit with armament Haki, it's true that he can get damaged by blunt attacks, however, Haki does NOT MEAN LUFFY's BODY STOPS BEING RUBBER (bolded for emphasis). Haki can protect you from effects like Law's shambles and hit Logias, but the effects they have on the user themselves is not negated. So for example Luffy's bones won't be broken by blunt damage even when he gets hit by a Haki blow, thus his resistance is still stronger than if he didn't have the Gomu Gomu no Mi. Because the Gomu Gomu no Mi has a permanent effect on him that doesn't depend on whether Luffy wants to be rubber or not, in contrast with a Logia like Smoker which can be hit if caught off guard.

The only time ever when Luffy stopped being rubber was when Blackbeard used the Yami Yami no mi on him in Impel Down.
Oct 28, 2019 5:30 AM
Mar 2019
This has to be the coolest and most interesting fight I've ever read in a manga. It's so incredibly layered, and Luffy has really grown a lot. Definitely an all-time favorite.

harshtruth said:
jal90 said:

Luffy is a lot more resistant to damage than Katakuri. You can call that plot armor, you can blame his very convenient DF for taking physical damage, or you can try to make a point about his will being so strong he will stand up every time even if he's in the verge of death. The fact is, it was stated that the true obstacle katakuri meant for Luffy didn't lie in his physical strength, but his future sight ability. Becoming able to use future sight himself, Luffy could eventually defeat him.

The narrative is pretty clear here, it's your choice to buy it or not.
One Piece is straight forward. People really need to stop pretending that it requires a drop of thinking. Also where was it stated that Luffy is more durable than Katekuri? I must have missed those pages and Luffy's future sight sharpening in a fight where it is suddenly required is as much of an asspull as Goku mastering UI in 30min but who am I to judge the writing of "GODA"...

I know it's an old comment, but I think you should reread the series, it's surprisingly really complex. Also, it was stated by Katakuri himself that he isn't used to fighting this long, that's the main narrative of the fight; Luffy's been beaten black and blue since he was 7 years old, he can fall and get up over and over again because he's experienced it time and time again, whereas Katakuri's never lose a fight in his life and was never allowed to fail due to his reputation.
Saurian_XOct 28, 2019 5:57 AM
Nov 10, 2022 12:42 PM

May 2021
Guess he has a pretty powerful weapon now in his pocket.

Jun 6, 2023 10:22 PM

Dec 2022
he left the hat!! 0_0 they're brothers now
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 43 Discussion

JoquishaJoestar - Feb 5, 2010

23 by Dumb »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 42 Discussion

JoquishaJoestar - Feb 4, 2010

21 by Dumb »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 41 Discussion

25 by Dumb »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 40 Discussion

27 by Dumb »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 39 Discussion

18 by Dumb »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.