Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

I personally don't understand how anyone could give this series more than a 6/10 (reasons NOT because of ep 1!)

Goblin Slayer (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 10, 2019 2:20 PM
a car

Jun 2017
As much as I hate opening this can of worms again now that it's rotting in the pantry of past seasonal anime, it's really been biting me like- well, a goblin on my neck- how anyone flat out ENJOYED the show. And no, it's got nothing to do with "that episode" but rather that the whole entire series was just super half-assed (well assuming the production didn't change after episode 8, which is when I dropped it).

It felt like White Fox tried with every fiber of their being to consistently put in exactly the bare minimum of what is required to make a television show, by definition, a television show. And yet some people still love it. Why?

I get that the titular character is super crafty and that there's D&D symbolism, but the presentation of everything- gore, fanservice, voice acting, etc.- is just so shallow- no, it's just a straight up empty pool- that it offsets any legitimately good aspects of the story.

I'm sorry for relighting this cigarette butt in the forest of the Internet again, but I must know: For those of you who LOVED Goblin Slayer, why?
Jan 10, 2019 2:35 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Didnt you know ?

Dark fantasy = automatically good

Its just science m8.

seriously tho, i watched to episode 2 and it thought it was boring as shit and dropped it so i cant seriously answer
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jan 10, 2019 3:03 PM

Mar 2009
I loved this series. I think it is awesome.

The first episode was one of the highlights for me. It was so satisfying to see consequences to doing stupid shit. This is something you often just see with villains, or in stupid backstories.
Unfortunately the show did go a bit down from there.
The concept of goblins adapting and learning is entruiging. Btw, I would love to give other animes a shot that is able to have a villain do mistakes, learn from them, adapt to the situation and become a growing threat. While having a main character that deterriorates over time, and needs to adapt to his growing handicap and struggle for survival.

I havent read the LN/Manga, and since I'm used to One Piece/Naruto etc. I'm so used to bad animations that I barely notice it.

What I did notice was an interesting story, a thrilling world. I like medieval fantasy / isekai/otherworld type of animes. So no wonder I got sucked right into this.

Everytime I saw a new episode, I was so into it that the episode barely felt like 5 minutes. I'm not sure if I can properly explain why myself, maybe I don't know exacly why. But I would be lying to myself if I said I didnt enjoy the show, and thus the ratings are as follows. A solid 9/10 for me. Because for me, that was how good this is.

This series reminded me a bit of the series: Hai to Gensou no Grimgar
https://myanimelist.net/anime/31859/Hai_to_Gensou_no_Grimgar
Which is a masterpiece.

Another masterpiece, which doesn't get truly good until episode 12+.
Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu
https://myanimelist.net/anime/31240/Re_Zero_kara_Hajimeru_Isekai_Seikatsu

Which I absolutely loved as well.

This is my taste, and I hope to enjoy much more of it.
ZnoteJan 10, 2019 3:08 PM
Jan 10, 2019 3:06 PM

Apr 2018
Honestly I don't get how someone can't get the appeal of a certain show lol
Just make a list of the anime main flaws you found in it and fucking erase them, how does it look to u now?
If someone liked something u disliked it just means he didn't notice or mind any flaws u found in the show that might be keeping the score down
Jan 10, 2019 4:41 PM

Oct 2017
I personally don't understand how anyone could give this series less than a 6/10

Jan 10, 2019 9:22 PM

Jul 2017
I didn't love it per se but I don't get the point of "why is x show not rated what I think it should be rated?" threads

I mean, Goburin Surayer san did have some pretty badass moments
Jan 11, 2019 1:39 AM

Jan 2017
It's a shame most of the top reviews are all memes. The most eye-opening takes (both positive and negative) never got enough attention.
Jan 11, 2019 1:57 AM

Jan 2018
I personally don't understand how anyone could give this series less than a 8/10
Jan 11, 2019 2:35 AM

Sep 2015
Go watch Law Abiding Citizen and then come back. Revenge is one of the most satisfying and pure things a Man can do.
GerverJan 11, 2019 2:39 AM
The opinions of people with shit taste, such as yourself, may differ of course.
Jan 11, 2019 7:39 AM
Jul 2018
Natsuki_Hyundai said:
As much as I hate opening this can of worms again now that it's rotting in the pantry of past seasonal anime, it's really been biting me like- well, a goblin on my neck- how anyone flat out ENJOYED the show. And no, it's got nothing to do with "that episode" but rather that the whole entire series was just super half-assed (well assuming the production didn't change after episode 8, which is when I dropped it).

It felt like White Fox tried with every fiber of their being to consistently put in exactly the bare minimum of what is required to make a television show, by definition, a television show. And yet some people still love it. Why?

I get that the titular character is super crafty and that there's D&D symbolism, but the presentation of everything- gore, fanservice, voice acting, etc.- is just so shallow- no, it's just a straight up empty pool- that it offsets any legitimately good aspects of the story.

I'm sorry for relighting this cigarette butt in the forest of the Internet again, but I must know: For those of you who LOVED Goblin Slayer, why?

People have different opinions. It's as simple as that. So I don't really understand why you even made this post in the first place.

Trying to understand someone else's opinion is impossible. Because to do that you'd have to give up on your own opinion.
Jan 11, 2019 8:28 AM

May 2018
to trigger the haters and make them create thread like this one
Jan 11, 2019 8:38 AM

Oct 2008
I guess you haven't seen many anime series if you think creators did "bare minimum" here. Apart from weak/no character development, they did good in all other departments.
Jan 11, 2019 7:21 PM

Jul 2014
I say this show is 10/10 to own the libs epic style.
Jan 12, 2019 4:43 AM
Oct 2018
Natsuki_Hyundai said:

Some people still love it because people have different opinions about it... And please dont hate something that you dislike
Jan 12, 2019 4:46 AM

Mar 2008
I intended to give it a 6/10 as slightly above average entertainment but the ending scene in the tavern somehow left me in a quite jovial mood so I upped the score by one. :D
Jan 12, 2019 4:53 AM

Jun 2015
Because it's an original idea that's never been done before and it's really good. It could have been even better if they had more money for better animation.
Read Toriko!
Jan 12, 2019 7:18 AM

Aug 2017
I like dark things. Dark is good.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jan 12, 2019 9:43 AM
a car

Jun 2017
Thanks for the thoughtful responses. And for those who questioned why I started this thread...I have autism and ask questions because I am trying to understand other people's perspectives.
Jan 12, 2019 5:02 PM

Nov 2018
Well, everyone has different ways of rating things for one. And different things they look for in a show.
Jan 13, 2019 4:07 AM

Jan 2019
I like this show alot, but that canary scene at the end of Episode 7 was a little out of place.
Jan 13, 2019 4:30 AM
Aug 2016
I personally don't understand how anyone could give this series less than 10/10
Jan 13, 2019 4:49 AM

Jun 2017
6 is the lowest score most MAL members use and dark theme is always better
mhkrJan 13, 2019 5:36 AM
Jan 13, 2019 4:54 AM

Jul 2015
well its enjoyable and thats basically what people should look for in anime thats literally about slaying goblins. like what did u expect ?
they dont even need to explain characters, they can just leave them bland as they are coz the whole point of this anime is ... slaying the shit out of goblins lol

Well...
Jan 13, 2019 5:24 AM
Feb 2018
I agree, I watched the 5 first episodes and I didn't find it that great. This anime has nothing extraordinary, it's an average seasonal anime, I don't qualify it as an anime wich stands out from the rest at all
Jan 13, 2019 10:56 AM

Nov 2018
Have you ever played D&D?

If you did, you would understand why this is soo great.
Jan 13, 2019 5:29 PM

Jan 2019
Tougen said:

My thoughts exactly.
Jan 13, 2019 9:54 PM
Apr 2012
Tougen said:

If Season 2 introduced a Bard character whose actions played into the memes it'd automatically be my AOTY
Jan 13, 2019 10:26 PM
Jan 2019
I just watched “that time i got reincarnated as a slime” and the goblins there were really nice and friendly but ob this anime called goblin slayer”; goblins are savages and lack of empathy . Despite of the drawing; i think that this anime is intented for 13+ yrs old. It also has some symbol/meaning behind it.

I usually like dark animes my faves were the promised neverland, deadman wonderland, kabaneri iron of the fortress, death parade, death billiards, parasyte the maxim , btoom, attack on titan

Not my fave dark animes:
, death note ( not my fave because of the ending of the manga ) , tokyo ghoul ( shitty, anime didn’t stick to the manga ) , elfen lied ( manga ending is a cliffhanger) , highschool of the dead ( manga is incomplete, author died)

Maybe this one will be added to my fave list... who knows =/

So far i like it ... it is different and if u want a cliche shonen anime watch “sword art online”
YouAreLuckyJan 13, 2019 10:38 PM
Jan 14, 2019 6:08 PM

Sep 2015
akihikosama said:
I guess you haven't seen many anime series if you think creators did "bare minimum" here. Apart from weak/no character development, they did good in all other departments.

The funny thing is they designed this anime that way on purpose. It was highlighted heavily in the ending as well. The goblin slayer wasn't someone who was amazingly talented or sought wealth or riches. He was just an ordinary person who's world was turned upside and through that experiences saw the real evil in the world (Goblins). He worked and trained to protect people because to him that's how he wanted to live his life.

He traded riches and fame for just doing what he believed was right which was protecting people by killing goblins. If someone went through life doing nothing amazing and just did the right thing they would be forgettable as well. That is the point of the anime design IMO.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/QcK_Dagger_HeaT&sclick=1][IMG]
Jan 14, 2019 6:49 PM

Oct 2008
QcK_Dagger_HeaT said:
akihikosama said:

The funny thing is they designed this anime that way on purpose. It was highlighted heavily in the ending as well. The goblin slayer wasn't someone who was amazingly talented or sought wealth or riches. He was just an ordinary person who's world was turned upside and through that experiences saw the real evil in the world (Goblins). He worked and trained to protect people because to him that's how he wanted to live his life.

He traded riches and fame for just doing what he believed was right which was protecting people by killing goblins. If someone went through life doing nothing amazing and just did the right thing they would be forgettable as well. That is the point of the anime design IMO.

I wasn't talking about growth in his abilities. I meant as in you don't learn anything about anyone apart from the Goblin Slayer, not even their names.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Goblin Slayer Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 6, 2018

993 by Raphkial »»
May 7, 11:37 PM

Poll: » Goblin Slayer Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 3, 2018

288 by Ronin_Alx »»
Apr 18, 4:49 PM

Poll: » Goblin Slayer Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2018

195 by Miki42 »»
Apr 1, 8:12 PM

Poll: » Goblin Slayer Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2018

372 by Tartyus »»
Mar 1, 11:22 AM

Poll: » Goblin Slayer Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2018

382 by azzther »»
Feb 26, 8:15 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.