Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Jul 1, 2017 7:30 AM
Jun 2017
Light- said:
Kuraokani said:
I hate to tell you but I rate shows as a consumer not a critic. When I rate a show it's from MY enjoyment. For instance, I give Overlord a 10/10 but I know that it's no where near a masterpiece. On that note, I can also dislike a show but still acknowledge that it's well above what I like in terms of story, character development, art, and anything else.

My point is, don't look at MY list then question my ability to acknowledge shows for what they are.

P.S you not having the ability to have a sound argument without getting offensive and smart only shows just how immature you are.

Couldn't the same logic then apply to the MAL ratings and community? Many people rate based on enjoyment just like you, (in fact most people around here do, just look at all the rating threads) so why do you then say that a show that surpasses FMA:B's 9.25 on MAL would have to be considered a masterpiece? In fact, why should we even care about MAL ratings when everything is subjective? For example, deathnote isn't even in the top 100 ratings in Japan (my link earlier), when it's one of 'top' shows on MAL.

By the way, you talk about immaturity when your second reply only comes off as passive aggressive (if you didn't mean it to be, I'm sorry) and you've also been calling people's opinions dumb in this thread.

I call it as I see it (even if it was 1 time, and said time was someone saying SAO was a masterpiece)

As for as me using MALs rating system, it was for example only. If you want you look at other sites the be my guest. IMDBs FMA:B 9.1/10 Death note 9/10 Your Name 8.6... you can check other sites as well. These sites also are not region based, they contain critics/consumers reviews from all around the world and they post these 3 anime (the majority of the time) at the top.

I have edited the post to reflect this
Adi-BuddhaJul 1, 2017 7:37 AM
Jul 1, 2017 7:39 AM

Feb 2016
When the critics, edgelord fanboys, fujos, and casuals all agree on liking an anime again.

Basically when the next anime that follows the painfully overrated Deathnote formula comes out.
Jul 1, 2017 8:38 AM

Jun 2015
Kuraokani said:
rawrX3pounces said:
Who cares what people on MAL consider to be good, though?

I'm curious if we watched the same show.
Lmao well millions don't lie. The majority tends to be right
Millions?

And that's also a bad mindset since most people can't even state why they like something.

Jul 1, 2017 8:58 AM
Jun 2017
rawrX3pounces said:
Kuraokani said:
Lmao well millions don't lie. The majority tends to be right
Millions?

And that's also a bad mindset since most people can't even state why they like something.
Well I originally said that I didn't like it that much. Did you read the reply (not being smart)? I was saying millions don't lie when referring to rating something. Not that I agree with the majority. Believe it or not but someone can agree with the majority but still have separate thoughts.
Jul 1, 2017 9:01 AM

Jun 2015
Kuraokani said:
rawrX3pounces said:
Millions?

Well I originally said that I didn't like it that much. Did you read the reply (not being smart)? I was saying millions don't lie when referring to rating something. Not that I agree with the majority. Believe it or not but someone can agree with the majority but still have separate thoughts.
You either agree with the majority or you have separate thoughts.

Jul 1, 2017 9:03 AM

Sep 2011
rawrX3pounces said:
Kuraokani said:

Millions enjoyed Justin Biebers "Baby" and One Direction and etc. etc. you see where I'm going

I wouldn't use "popularity" as reason to believe something is better than something else, seems a bit flawed

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
Jul 1, 2017 9:05 AM

Jun 2015
I'm pretty sure some genocides were popular ideas.

Jul 1, 2017 9:10 AM

Apr 2016
Kuraokani said:
Fate_Nozomi said:
Soon. Specifically on October 14, 2017.

<char limit>
What comes out then? The next season of blues clues?

Well if Sakura is Blue and Zouken is Steve then, yes.
Jul 1, 2017 9:22 AM

Jan 2015
Manaban said:
carpaccio said:

no, it doesn't imply that many must come out, just enough for it to gather enough attention for a good number of people to complain. whose fault it is isn't the subject of discussion here.

Yes it very much is. When we're discussing people's reactions to something, in this case being "people sick of the constant Harem/Ecchi" and demanding new masterpieces and the like, and people go out of their way to point out that these shows are often few in number and hardly invading and controlling the entire medium, then calling out that mindset and reaction is very much discussing who's fault lies where. It's at the root of why people interpret it as something that cannot coincide with a "masterpiece" because they're demanding originality as a standard of quality in of itself as a result of the perception that these shows are "taking anime over" or whatever dumb shit like that they like to spew. They think it has to be different than the majority and breaking the mold without even entertaining the idea that H/E is already different from the majority as is, because somehow - in a way that's completely incomprehensible to me, mind you - they convinced themselves that these 1 or 2 - or 3 or 4 if it's a lucky season - per season are, in fact, the majority. When they are most 100%, undeniably not the majority if they would take a look at simple numbers. That much isn't even up for argument.

And in this case, the fault would definitely lie with those few who exaggerate the prevalence of H/E, which is widespread enough that there are people who actually believe it unironically, in a way comparable to flat earthers from my point of view. If they can't handle one or two things per season being made that belongs to those genres, and must respond by painting the situation as if these types of shows are practically all that's being pumped out, then it very much just becomes a "them" issue whenever that blatant bullshit is put on display by simply looking at the seasonal listings archived on this very site. The call for less H/E and more masterpieces or whatever doesn't even coincide and these shows can exist alongside philosophical, existential, rocket-science based shit per season, H/E specifically is not preventing stuff like that from being made or at least no more than any other genres - and ultimately they'd still both pull two different audiences for the most part. It's a weak attempt at trying to intellectually justify putting down and calling for less of a type of show they dislike while trying to put something they like on a pedestal. No more, no less.

When some people claim something and then it's outed as obviously false on numerous occassions and yet they keep on with their hyperbolic and outright ignorant rhetoric, then goddamn right it becomes a discussion over the fault lying with them because it's been proven time and time again that no matter how many examples you pull, no matter how little they can defend their blatantly incorrect perspective - and this isn't a matter of interpretation, the idea that H/E is even anywhere close to the majority of anime being made these days is 100% incorrect from a numerical standpoint and it shouldn't even be entertained as being anything except incorrect - then it's entirely an issue of the fault lying with them. They won't listen, they'll plug their ears and close their eyes to evidence and examples and everything that goes against their fearmongering narrative of H/E taking over the medium, and they'll continue spouting their asinine, ill-informed rhetoric as if it were fact.

The reality is probably that one or two or so shows a season of something they might not like is probably too much for them and so they have to blow it out of proportion to compensate, since those one or two shows not targeted at their audience could probably just go to being something they would've wanted to watch instead, which is ridiculous.

But yes. The discussion did turn over to who's fault it was since that narrative lies at the core of the discussion and that narrative is basically built upon fault and ignoring information that's right in front of their eyes. Thus, the fault lies with people who push that stupid, factually incorrect narrative that H/E is overrunning the medium, as if it's within the realm of reason and not outright removed from the reality they seem to determined to blind themselves too.

On a personal note, I really have a visceral hatred for that narrative at this point. I don't know if I made that clear.

triggered much?

i'm simply stating that there are a lot of people that exist who get this impression, and that was my entire point. i don't care if it's their own fault or not for getting this impression. whose fault it was was never the subject of discussion until you ppl made it so. frankly, i can't be bothered to care to point fingers, i was just trying to trace where the first guy i quoted was coming from.

think u need sleep m8, both of u need to calm ur tits/balls or w/e
Jul 1, 2017 9:27 AM
Jun 2017
rawrX3pounces said:
Kuraokani said:
That's a very hipster wat of looking at the world
Jul 1, 2017 9:28 AM
Jun 2017
Fate_Nozomi said:
Kuraokani said:
What comes out then? The next season of blues clues?

I was kidding lol but what's the name of the show?
Jul 1, 2017 9:30 AM

Jun 2015
Kuraokani said:
rawrX3pounces said:
Quite not right, my friendo.

You said you don't like FMAB that much right?
But you admit it's great in every way.
So why do you not like it?

Quality and enjoyment are directly related.

Jul 1, 2017 9:30 AM
Jun 2017
carpaccio said:
Manaban said:

Yes it very much is. When we're discussing people's reactions to something, in this case being "people sick of the constant Harem/Ecchi" and demanding new masterpieces and the like, and people go out of their way to point out that these shows are often few in number and hardly invading and controlling the entire medium, then calling out that mindset and reaction is very much discussing who's fault lies where. It's at the root of why people interpret it as something that cannot coincide with a "masterpiece" because they're demanding originality as a standard of quality in of itself as a result of the perception that these shows are "taking anime over" or whatever dumb shit like that they like to spew. They think it has to be different than the majority and breaking the mold without even entertaining the idea that H/E is already different from the majority as is, because somehow - in a way that's completely incomprehensible to me, mind you - they convinced themselves that these 1 or 2 - or 3 or 4 if it's a lucky season - per season are, in fact, the majority. When they are most 100%, undeniably not the majority if they would take a look at simple numbers. That much isn't even up for argument.

And in this case, the fault would definitely lie with those few who exaggerate the prevalence of H/E, which is widespread enough that there are people who actually believe it unironically, in a way comparable to flat earthers from my point of view. If they can't handle one or two things per season being made that belongs to those genres, and must respond by painting the situation as if these types of shows are practically all that's being pumped out, then it very much just becomes a "them" issue whenever that blatant bullshit is put on display by simply looking at the seasonal listings archived on this very site. The call for less H/E and more masterpieces or whatever doesn't even coincide and these shows can exist alongside philosophical, existential, rocket-science based shit per season, H/E specifically is not preventing stuff like that from being made or at least no more than any other genres - and ultimately they'd still both pull two different audiences for the most part. It's a weak attempt at trying to intellectually justify putting down and calling for less of a type of show they dislike while trying to put something they like on a pedestal. No more, no less.

When some people claim something and then it's outed as obviously false on numerous occassions and yet they keep on with their hyperbolic and outright ignorant rhetoric, then goddamn right it becomes a discussion over the fault lying with them because it's been proven time and time again that no matter how many examples you pull, no matter how little they can defend their blatantly incorrect perspective - and this isn't a matter of interpretation, the idea that H/E is even anywhere close to the majority of anime being made these days is 100% incorrect from a numerical standpoint and it shouldn't even be entertained as being anything except incorrect - then it's entirely an issue of the fault lying with them. They won't listen, they'll plug their ears and close their eyes to evidence and examples and everything that goes against their fearmongering narrative of H/E taking over the medium, and they'll continue spouting their asinine, ill-informed rhetoric as if it were fact.

The reality is probably that one or two or so shows a season of something they might not like is probably too much for them and so they have to blow it out of proportion to compensate, since those one or two shows not targeted at their audience could probably just go to being something they would've wanted to watch instead, which is ridiculous.

But yes. The discussion did turn over to who's fault it was since that narrative lies at the core of the discussion and that narrative is basically built upon fault and ignoring information that's right in front of their eyes. Thus, the fault lies with people who push that stupid, factually incorrect narrative that H/E is overrunning the medium, as if it's within the realm of reason and not outright removed from the reality they seem to determined to blind themselves too.

On a personal note, I really have a visceral hatred for that narrative at this point. I don't know if I made that clear.

triggered much?

i'm simply stating that there are a lot of people that exist who get this impression, and that was my entire point. i don't care if it's their own fault or not for getting this impression. whose fault it was was never the subject of discussion until you ppl made it so. frankly, i can't be bothered to care to point fingers, i was just trying to trace where the first guy i quoted was coming from.

think u need sleep m8, both of u need to calm ur tits/balls or w/e
These tits will never be calm again!
Jul 1, 2017 9:35 AM
Jun 2017
rawrX3pounces said:
Kuraokani said:

I never listed enjoyment. Go back and look if you want. How can I acknowledge something is good without liking it myself? I don't like very large breast but I can see where they are good. Is that good enough of a example?
Jul 1, 2017 9:46 AM

Jun 2015
Kuraokani said:
rawrX3pounces said:

I never listed enjoyment. Go back and look if you want. How can I acknowledge something is good without liking it myself? I don't like very large breast but I can see where they are good. Is that good enough of a example?
Connecting dots.

You said in OP you didn't even really like FMA. That's enjoyment.

And that's just acknowledgement of a fetish which are neither good nor bad by default.

Jul 1, 2017 9:47 AM

Apr 2017
I have hope
i will believe in the anime that are yet to come
Sure most of the recent animes haven't really been anything ground breaking but code geass 3 is gonna be released and that is either gonna shoot for the moon or crash and burn.

"Life and death have been in love,
For longer than we have words to describe,
Life sends countless gifts to death,
And death keeps them forever."

Jul 1, 2017 9:50 AM
Jun 2017
rawrX3pounces said:
Kuraokani said:
Connecting dots.

And that's just acknowledgement of a fetish which are neither good nor bad by default.
I'm sorry but I give up. This post isn't to discuss what makes a anime great. Go find one of those
Jul 1, 2017 9:51 AM

Apr 2016
Kuraokani said:
Fate_Nozomi said:

I was kidding lol but what's the name of the show?

It's the first Heaven's Feel movie :P
Jul 1, 2017 9:52 AM
Jun 2017
PunkHazard98 said:
I have hope
Sure most of the recent animes haven't really been anything ground breaking but code geass 3 is gonna be released and that is either gonna shoot for the moon or crash and burn.
I'm so hyped for season 3. I had no idea that Lelouch was still alive. I think they can live up
Jul 1, 2017 9:55 AM

Jun 2015
Kuraokani said:
rawrX3pounces said:
Connecting dots.

I'm sorry but I give up. This post isn't to discuss what makes a anime great. Go find one of those
lol what

So basically you have no idea why these things are masterpieces.

Jul 1, 2017 10:09 AM

Oct 2014
Kuraokani said:
zombie_pegasus said:
It's coming out in 2018
https://myanimelist.net/anime/35672/Yama_no_Susume__Third_Season

On a serious note, I don't really care when the next masterpiece comes out if it's not an anime I'm going to enjoy. After all, I watch anime as a hobby, not as a critic.
Aren't you at least interested though? Being witness to something like that is what I thought all people want.
If it's an objective masterpiece that doesn't fit my taste I might just not watch it at all or rate it low if I do.
Jul 1, 2017 10:15 AM

Apr 2017
Kuraokani said:
PunkHazard98 said:
I have hope
I'm so hyped for season 3. I had no idea that Lelouch was still alive. I think they can live up

I was hyped as well but once i though about how the hell they were gonna make it any better than the previous season i was stumped.there is like a 70% chance they are gonna screw this up

Jul 1, 2017 10:19 AM

Oct 2015
Well due to the fact that art is subjective I believe there will never be an anime that is a complete 'masterpiece', since there will still be people that see it as bad. Be it due to their personal opinion or that they believe it is 'overrated' and hate it because of its popularity/status.

For example, I for one believe that when the BnHA anime has reached the point of where the manga is now to me it will equal (or even surpass) my feelings towards the shows you have listed, such as FMA:B, and therefore will be considered a 'masterpiece' to me. However, there will be plenty of people who disagree with my personal opinion and will not like the anime, meaning it is not a true 'masterpiece' even if the majority think it is.

Also, there are anime like Yuri on Ice that were watched by many people outside of the anime community, and therefore if all those people rated it on MAL it would most likely have a much higher score. Which would then make it more considered to be a 'masterpiece'.
Jul 1, 2017 10:49 AM
Jun 2017
PunkHazard98 said:
Kuraokani said:

I was hyped as well but once i though about how the hell they were gonna make it any better than the previous season i was stumped.there is like a 70% chance they are gonna screw this up
True. It'll be hard to beat but I'll be happy with more of our favorite neighbor terrorist
Jul 1, 2017 12:55 PM

Apr 2015
Sometimes MAL scores misrepresent what is a masterpiece and what isn't. Bananya is a great example.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Jul 1, 2017 1:06 PM
Jun 2017
FanSinceVHS said:
Never. Anime is dead. Get over it kid.
The truth hits hard but I'm stronger for it. Thanks bro
Jul 1, 2017 1:08 PM

Jun 2015
When Tokyo Ghoul gets a reboot I thik
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Jul 1, 2017 1:09 PM

Apr 2016
Insert modern anime is trash comment.
Jul 1, 2017 1:27 PM
Jun 2017
Most of you wouldn't know quality anyway. You're pretty silly always praising generical animes. FMAB is generic on every aspect yet you rate the first series inferior for not following the manga. How can you expect quality when the industry has to please such silly fans?
Jul 1, 2017 1:35 PM
Jun 2017
Aplope said:
Most of you wouldn't know quality anyway. You're pretty silly always praising generical animes. FMAB is generic on every aspect yet you rate the first series inferior for not following the manga. How can you expect quality when the industry has to please such silly fans?
Some elitist come to save the day? Give us a break from your scrutiny
Jul 1, 2017 1:36 PM
Jun 2017
Intense_ said:
SAO sucks. People who say SAO doesn't suck like monster mursume for the plot
Jul 1, 2017 1:37 PM
Jun 2017
Takamura-sama said:
Hopefully that might happen. We'll be waiting till 2025 though
Jul 1, 2017 1:50 PM

Jun 2015
Kuraokani said:
Takamura-sama said:

I'll get rich and sponsor madhouse/white fox for the adaptation and right. Dw m8 I'll make it slow paced and with the best voice actors +music.

I'll buy unravel and play it as an op + I'll ask TK to make a new TG album. It'll be great trust me
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Jul 1, 2017 1:51 PM
Jun 2017
Kuraokani said:
Aplope said:
Some elitist come to save the day? Give us a break from your scrutiny

Says the guy with the pompous arguments... We'd be better off without your original silly assessments...
Jul 1, 2017 1:52 PM

May 2015
Takamura-sama said:
Kuraokani said:

I'll get rich and sponsor madhouse/white fox for the adaptation and right. Dw m8 I'll make it slow paced and with the best voice actors +music.

I'll buy unravel and play it as an op + I'll ask TK to make a new TG album. It'll be great trust me

Madhouse is a terrible studio so if you want your edgy manga to have any sort of decent adaptation visually you should look for someone else.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Jul 1, 2017 1:53 PM

Jun 2015
RainyRai said:
Takamura-sama said:

Madhouse is a terrible studio so if you want your edgy manga to have any sort of decent adaptation visually you should look for someone else.

What are u saying madhouse is great, and it would get unlimited budget
Jul 1, 2017 1:54 PM

Mar 2013
that new Makoto Shinkai movie got up fast

series just need enough hype tbh
Jul 1, 2017 1:57 PM

Sep 2009
Give another 10 years or so, and maybe.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Jul 1, 2017 2:04 PM
Jun 2017
Takamura-sama said:
Kuraokani said:

I believe man. If your taking request though, can you try and make Kaneki not cry as much in the first season? Lol
Jul 1, 2017 2:05 PM
Jun 2017
MortalMelancholy said:
Hopefully I'm around then. Maybe if they remake Future Diary (without all that sci if) lol
Jul 1, 2017 2:06 PM
Jun 2017
RainyRai said:
Takamura-sama said:

Ha! I respect your opinion but this has got to be bait.
Jul 1, 2017 2:07 PM

Jun 2015
Kuraokani said:
Takamura-sama said:

I believe man. If your taking request though, can you try and make Kaneki not cry as much in the first season? Lol

He's gonna cry even more man he's gonna cry even more
Jul 1, 2017 2:09 PM
Jun 2017
Takamura-sama said:
Kuraokani said:

He's gonna cry even more man he's gonna cry even more
I'm boycotting your remake then! Madhouse don't accept the deal! Lol
Jul 1, 2017 2:11 PM

Sep 2009
Kuraokani said:
MortalMelancholy said:
Hopefully I'm around then. Maybe if they remake Future Diary (without all that sci if) lol

https://myanimelist.net/anime/31904/Big_Order_TV
Lel
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Jul 1, 2017 2:22 PM

Jun 2016
DiangeloKun18 said:
When berserk gets a new adaption like they did with HxH.
They need to remake Yuu Yuu Hakuso. lol
Jul 1, 2017 2:36 PM

May 2015
Kuraokani said:
RainyRai said:

Ha! I respect your opinion but this has got to be bait.

Nah it's not bait, I legit believe that modern Madhouse(basically after they were bought out when they went bankrupt, HxH 2011 onwards) is garbage. They've made like four shows that I've legit enjoyed(HxH 2011 which has many similar problems to a lot of Madhouse shows but also ends up fixing those problems, No Game No Life which I barely remember, and ACCA + OPM because Shingo Natsume is a competent director and can make good anime.) They suck, and I hate everyone who asks for them to readapt their manga because it will still suck by them.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Jul 1, 2017 2:53 PM

Apr 2017
Kuraokani said:
Intense_ said:
SAO sucks. People who say SAO doesn't suck like monster mursume for the plot

WORD you tell them man sao could have been so much more then that trash that we ended up with

Jul 1, 2017 3:03 PM

Dec 2016
Kuraokani said:
Gohdhand said:
How can you say that FMA is perfect in every category and then also say that you didn't really like it.
It's simple, I didn't like it that much but I acknowledge that everything about its good.

If everything about it is good, then how could you not like it?

What's the difference?
Jul 1, 2017 3:11 PM

Jun 2016
everyone has a different definition of masterpiece

but the general consensus among top western critics seem to be something that is very emotionally visceral and explores the universal deep-seated flaws that humans have to contend with. Of course I'm not saying this alone makes a masterpiece, and I was referring to movie critics who hold stuff like God Father/Citizen Kain in high acclaim.

Most anime is very lighthearted, and maybe it's a sort of counter culture to the rather dark movies that western culture praises a lot. I dont know. It's up for debate. But one thing I look for in determining a personal masterpiece is how much a writer puts themselves into the product. Like, no superficial social pressure to look cool, and just reveal themselves how they really are. It's hard to explain.

In this way masterpieces tend to be attached to a single person for me, and not just a staff or animation style. It's about getting to know a single individual and how they see the world. If that makes sense. But this is just one sense of a masterpiece, and of course it's different for other people.
Jul 1, 2017 3:38 PM
Jun 2017
Gohdhand said:
Kuraokani said:
It's simple, I didn't like it that much but I acknowledge that everything about its good.

If everything about it is good, then how could you not like it?
Jesus Christ, I'm for real about to give you my experience with FMA:B (it spans 2 years). So the reason I say I didn't like it

About 2 years ago I started to get interested in Anime (I can't remember what I saw that peaked me interest but it happened nonetheless) and came across this show. So I started watching, and during my time watching I may have skipped a few episodes accidentally or stopped watching for a lengthy time and picked it back up weeks later (I wouldn't remember where I left off, hence why I skipped a few episodes). Eventually I dropped it all together.

So while I say that I don't like the show, it's my own fault for ruining it for myself. I remember a lot of what I saw story wise. The reason I never picked it back up was because I'm not the type of person to re watch 40 episodes of stuff I remember.

I'm actually in the process of watching it now but it's a slow go because like I said, I just don't like to pick up a show that I dropped.

Another example would be fairy tail. I was watching it and one day (forgot why) I stopped. I couldn't remember where I left off so I didn't pick it back up. It's not the fact that I thought is was bad, I just can't be bothered to be honest.

You know "it's better to build a new chair rather than repair the old one"
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

» What is good animation?

LenRea - Yesterday

14 by deg »»
4 minutes ago

» Post the Last Anime Items you bought ( 1 2 3 )

SpeedyAlchemist - Mar 10

122 by zedtronic »»
9 minutes ago

» What's the Most Cringeworthy Anime Dub You've Ever watched?

Gashadokur0 - 2 hours ago

10 by Serafos »»
17 minutes ago

» Has a canon ship ever ruined a show for you?

Dragevard - Yesterday

25 by Absurdo_N »»
28 minutes ago

» What are you gonna watch next season?

Pinoffin - 9 hours ago

22 by Pinoffin »»
30 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.