Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »
Aug 9, 2015 5:51 AM

Oct 2014
I had to watch the ending twice to comprehend it. This is what I think -

The real monster is the mother, since she gives away Ana saying that she "isn't needed". Also, the picture-book said that the monster split into two, so the original monster should be the mother and the one inside the boy (Johan) ate the other monster (inside Ana).
Johan knew that Ana was the unwanted child, but he wanted to protect her. So he dressed himself like her so that his mother might confuse him for her. However, the mother recognized Ana from her voice and gave her away.
Ana should have become the monster. But Johan instead becomes one so as to protect her, as Johan always said "this is all for you, Ana".

In the series, Johan tried to erase not only his past but Ana's past as well, so that she may never remember that she was unwanted.

As for the ending, I'll say it is quite evident that Johan escapes from the hospital. The bed clearly shows signs that someone was resting there before and if that isn't enough, the window was open! He probably disappears for good since he is rest assured that Ana will never remember that memory.
Sep 2, 2015 11:18 AM

Jul 2014
It feels great to finally be done watching this anime. I had a big smile on my face while watching this.

Overall, this was an amazing show. Not quite perfect, but close enough. There were a few times where I felt the pacing was too slow, but it says a lot about the quality of this show that even the worst episodes are 5/5 quality. This is by far the best anime I've seen in a least two years, and I'm glad I watched this show.

5/5 for the episode, 9/10 for the whole show, but I might change it to 10/10 later on.
Sep 5, 2015 3:14 PM

May 2012
seen a lot of shows go with the mass slaughter at the end, but i think monster pulled it off the best so far. johan, a creepy little fuck till the bitter end. Monster was fucking on point with its theme exploration, but as far as pacing goes it had its issues, but overall a fantastic ride, probably gonna have to say 9/10
Sep 9, 2015 3:44 AM

Dec 2013
This was such a great anime with an amazing cast of characters.

Although I kinda wished we got a slightly more conclusive ending with Johan and what is happening with him :/

Still a 9/10 from me
Sep 10, 2015 4:00 AM

Aug 2015
What an hell of a ride. This show was pure magic, and the references about the first Tenma question about life made this show a masterpiece. Although not reaching the level of Death Note, this show is really a must see. Basically every character had a devolpement in the story, expect Tenma (and this is a very good choice, he remained the same good men and did not became the monster who was needed to kill the "monster") and Johan. Or maybe Johan had a devolpement? It's up to us to decide, the open ending is an interesting choice.

BTW, the hospital scene of Johan and Tenma was really scary beacause of Johan's and Tenma's eyes.
Sep 28, 2015 2:06 PM
Sep 2015
kimsufi said:
Excellent episode 5/5. I really don't mind endings like these, they give a lot of room for thought.

I agree.
Oct 3, 2015 8:01 AM

Dec 2013
What a magnificent series. Truly, I'll never forget this masterpiece.
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Nov 2, 2015 10:54 AM
Aug 2011
Why would the mother mix them up? Even we can tell them apart by their voice for god's sake.
Nov 16, 2015 1:02 AM
Nov 2015
Monster Anime Ending

[Spoiler]
I believe that it’s up to you to decide whether Johan is dead or alive
and whether its a hallucination at the end or not.
If he is alive, you decide whether he changed or not as well.

Concluding this, my interpretation was that he was the one his mother wanted to give away simple because why was he left there (the three frogs) alone because if his mother truly wanted to keep him she would have stayed, either that or my memory is bad and she was taken away as well not sure but then the whole point or her deciding was pointless which makes it definite that it was a hallucination

i believe he could be either dead or alive, personally i like to think he’s alive due to how this whole anime/manga played out.
Whether or not he changed, i don’t know and i don’t think i would ever know
because the story for these characters and Johan has ended here so they wouldn’t know either.

If he’s dead, he’s dead, if he’s alive they will never see him again.

So now it just becomes an example of what our lives are, when our times up with a person we don’t speak or know what they're up to but we just carry on with our lives because we are each separate individuals that the world doesn’t stop for so we must simple keep living.

Okay i think I’m done lol
ProksNov 16, 2015 1:08 AM
Nov 16, 2015 3:25 AM
Mar 2014
This anime is amazing, it really is. I loved how Johann didn't get killed off.
Nov 20, 2015 8:21 PM
Nov 2015
I watched monster two times . The first time before 2 years and this was the second.Currently I am reading another monster. Anyway in both times I tried to analyze johan’s personality and actions ,but only more questions and theories arose ,but this time I am convinced enough to write about it since I am too lazy even to write. My theory is regarding johan’s personality .First you should keep in mind that he is supposed to be a complicated character.
what I know is when someone has lots of strong emotions he does not tend to vent them ,but instead quiet and suppress them and that explains his calm attitude.

second, the scene when he meets nina in episode 67. She says that after hearing the truth about her being the one taken to the mansion, he had a unique expression smiling yet crying at the same time.
This is what I am going to discuss. If she is the one taken to the mansion then she is the unwanted child from my perspective . Now johan cannot accept this because he always thought deep down from what happened that he is the unwanted child . This explains him smiling because it means he was not unwanted ,but also he was crying because the thing that he blamed what he did for was not even his to begin with “the memory about the mansion and the scene about his mother forced to choose”. This explains him saying afterwards that he still has one more memory that only he possess.
what I want to say is johan was extremely affected by the story of the monster which he read day and night during the days his sister was in the mansion .
what I want to say is that Bonaparta never said that the experiment will be applied on the child taken ,but actually on both (he was trying to plant the seed of evilness in both of them and see which one will develop the evil attitude and which one will suppress it ) Nina sure had a trauma yet she did not develop a violent attitude like her brother who read the story bonaparta gave him and read which I think several times till he impersonated the monster. His first violent attitude was to burn the 3 frogs apartment .
However, I strongly believe his love for his sister was sure a main factor too because when you are a child and you hear this kind of story for several days from your twin. Surely he will take it as his own memory and being dressed up as his sister must be one of the reasons as he said in the mansion “she is me and I am her” .Or maybe as nina said it’s johan’s way of showing love. To kill and to devour who cares about him due to the twisted way he was raised.
In the end I think he felt guilty because his mother chose him and that’s why he wanted his sister forgiveness ,and to atone this he chose to be the bad guy “monster” and kill to be able to live in peace with his sister .That’s exactly why he told her it’s too late now and that somethings cannot be amended also that’s why he cried in the lodge because he surely wanted to live a normal life smiling beside his sister as in the drawings.
As for people saying that the mother was not fair. Actually she left him because she did want to be unfair.
she gave up on her daughter and then left her son for them to be able to move on and love each other instead of envying each other.

I know my comment was too long ,but please read carefully and give it a shot.
PS: my mother language is not English ,but I hope you understand me.
Thanks in advance for reading.
Nov 23, 2015 9:39 AM
Feb 2015
babykeiji said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Okay, freaking ending episode. As I thought it is now a happy ending. But then, till the end their real name isn't revealed; and one last confirmation, the real monster is still there and it is Johann. To this long-epic series to have a big hole ending in the end is really just like any horror movie should be. I'm kinda disappointed that it didn't ended happily since there will be no sequels. But well, just that thought; I just want to know the real names of the twins. XD

Anyways, a good story overall. I'll give it a 9/10.

This guy sums up the ending (endings) really well:

It's left as an open issue at the end of the series. Johan was operated on and saved yet again by Tenma and when he went to visit Johan at the police hospital, who was in a coma originally, Johan sat up and was talking to Tenma. But later we see the same room with an empty hospital bed.

The conversation at the end was about which child Johan's mother wanted to keep, him or Anna/Nina. So there may be a clue in that.
Some of the possibilities:

1. He died after waking up from the coma and talking to Tenma (Or Alternatively, the talking to Tenma bit could have been a daydream, but he died anyways)
2. He was released and he's alive and well
3. He escaped from the police hospital just like the beginning of the show and continues his ways.

But the focus should be on the mother and her choice on which twin to give up and which to "save" and the title of the last episode, "The Real Monster". There's always been confusion as to which was which because previously we were told from conflicting memories. Some people think that the title of "The Real Monster" is the mother, some people think it's referring to everyone and the world, how the world can make anyone a monster, or, Johan is the real monster afterall. Each of these sort of correlates to one of the possibilities.

If the mother was the real monster for choosing one twin and unwanted the other, Johan dies and Nina lives. If everyone's really a monster, Johan was absolved (for the most part, maybe not criminally) of all of his crimes because the world and the people in it are the real monsters. If Johan is the true monster here, then he escaped from the police hospital and continues to play the role of the "real monster".
So it's up to your interpretation. Who do you think the real monster is?
Dec 5, 2015 8:07 PM

Sep 2015
Koruja said:

Im convinced that the last scene tell us that Johan is dead and Tenma gone insane. How? The last scene. An empty bed. I think that Tenma only believe that Johan is there and visit him, but its only in his imagination, a broken mind imagination. I try and really try to understand the last scene: Johan in coma, so he wake and make his question, so.... Tenma wake up to and Johan still in the bed. So in the end, an empty bed. NO. Nothing is real.

Some points took me to this conclusion
- All characters seem happy and none of them seems to worry about the fact: johan still alive.
- Johan's room is not guarded by police.
- Tenma refused to become a teacher and gone to voluntary around the world. It seems to be way of escape from your madness and dark old memories.

So.. I believe Tenma failed in Johan's second surgery. So guilty, and the extreme runaway situation he lived made him freak out.

Interesting point indeed... Didn't think of that after the ending.
At first glace, what I got from the empty bed scene is that Johan managed to escape from the hospital like the 1st time he was saved by Tenma. So the message I got is that the Monster is 'still out there'; pretty much like a horror movie ending...
But I just noticed what might be a flaw in your perception: the empty bed is not made and the IV is still there. Which makes me think that it's not an illusion and that Johan was in fact there...

What an incredible journey :) Started watching Monster around December last year, put it on-hold for awhile and now although I'm glad that I finally finished it, I'm also sad at the same time that it is finished. That's the unequivocal indicator of a show that you truly cared for...

I'll definitely miss this amazing piece of art :(
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 13, 2015 8:36 AM
Dec 2015
I'm annoyed with 2 last episode. when johan threatening tenma to shoot him with pointing gun to wim. That was trash. No way johan must threat with some question repeatedly. The true johan just kill wim without doubt to achive his objective. And we all know johan doesnt had problem with killing child (the death game in the roof).

In last episode, i agree with other opinion why johan not protected, but my big dissapointed was they mother appeared. She had all information about beginning of johan and nina. Why no one find her before?
But i think i'm understand with messege from last episode title "the real monster". The real monster are parent or adult who raised children with horrifying way. The fact is people like that is exist in real world. Maybe this happen in your neighbourhood. Maybe you're one of that adult or parent? Or maybe you're the victim right now?
511kinderheimDec 13, 2015 8:40 AM
Jan 13, 2016 11:06 PM
Jan 2016
[ This is my perspective of monster. I respect your perspective also. Feel free to correct if im wrong. Can we have nice discussion :) ]

I dont have any regrets when i watched this series. 74 episodes? Heck lol im always watching this anime within 2 and 1/2 days marathoning because every episodes has each moral lesson that really happens in real life. We are all monster because we humans are sinners right lol xD. Im sure life is very ambigious we dont know when we will die right. "Death is a normal thing." "Ultimate fear of death, we people (not all) are afraid of death. Who is the real monster. Is it the mother? All of the events are connected to each other: brainwashing, child abuse, racism,prostituton, war etc. What I like about the anime is it looks real and unreal because its too original and unique in my eyes.

Dr. Tenma,Johan Liebert, Nina Fortner, Eva Heinemann, Lunge Heinrich (main characters)
Reichweiin, Dieter, Roberto,Grimmer, Dr. Gillen(secondary characters) are my favorite of all time. Especially Johan, Dieter Hartmann, Tenma and Grimmer. I love Grimmer soo much. I relate to him bevause i also lost purpose and existence in his life. He wanted to help but he is scared of who he is T.T, "This is the true sadness feels like it feel a lot like happiness".

I thank all of the staffs especially Urusawa sensei who created this anime and manga.

about Johan. I wonder how his life could be. I wonderhe change his life for the best because Nina forgave his darkest deeds towards his journey of finding and erasing who he is. Maybe he reconcile with Anna his true mother Vierna Cerna... or maybe he take sleeping pill then jumped out of the window then suicide.

english is not my second language so excuse my poor grammar...
Lia_Liebert11Jan 17, 2016 12:57 AM
I'll fight it even it its painful
Don't judge the book by its cover
Jan 24, 2016 6:35 AM

May 2015
What an incredible journey, Monster is an anime that will stay with me.

The point here is not what Johan's true name is, but the fact that he has a name. I loved this detail.

10/10 from me!
Jan 25, 2016 11:45 AM
Apr 2014
filepile said:
Wow it amazes me how many of you didn't get the point of the ending. It perfectly makes sense. What if the ending revealed us that Johan continued killing around after escaping? Of course that would ruin the whole thing. I assume that many people wanted a happy and safe ending with him being arrested or just dead with more questions revealed. You expect that Johan has a reasonable ending but you all forgot an important fact about him. Just as Johan had claimed throughout the series, he is someone who never really existed. This is what makes him so original.

An empty bad with open window and breeze indicates on his presence. We have no idea what happened to him. Then again, how could we know what happened to someone who doesn't exist?

His doings were based on "The Nameless Monster" story and he thought of himself as nothing more than a character from a fairytale. Another clue why he was practically a manipulating shadow as seen by other characters.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Feb 10, 2016 5:13 PM
Apr 2015
Wow, like thousand years ago I've read about this anime for the first time. And now finally, I've watched it, and it was almost perfect. Especially, characterwise, it was awesome, every character felt real and detailed and had detailed backgrounds and connections, like Roberto being Adolf.

As real monster issue goes, I believe it is Tenma and Twin's Mother. I know it sound stupid, and show mainly points to the mother but, there is a parallelism between Tenma and the mother, like mother Tenma can't let go of Johan, so he let evil exist, can't shoot him, can't leave him to die. Basically, he is the one letting evil to do evil. Like Shakespeare's Hamlet, his inaction and conscience, keeps evil in this world. So, I think that's why he atones for his conscience by volunteering with doctors without borders.

I believe it is a message for most of the people, who are restricted by their comformism and so-called conscience, unable to end what needs to end.
50kgsuvanFeb 10, 2016 5:25 PM
Mar 2, 2016 4:54 PM

Sep 2015
After watching this episode, I felt really conflicted. I absolutely loved the show the whole way through, it was with Steins;Gate as my favorite anime and I had it as a 10/10 throughout practically the whole watch. I even liked the slow parts that some people didn't like because I felt it developed characters and added real weight to when everything did go to hell in the crazier episodes.

The characters were also amazing. Tenma and Nina are two of my favorite characters ever cause they were so well written. And there were soooo many snagging side characters. Practically every character was just written so freaking well. The only character who I wish had a bit more backstory would be Lunge, but eh it wasn't too glaring.

But that ending... As a general I don't like open-ended endings, I feel that after everything, the writer should tell the viewer how it really ended. There are some exceptions, like in the movie Inception. It had an open-ended ending but I never disliked that because it played into the theme and was actually a really beautiful ending. While I can see the argument that the same could be said for Monster's ending, I didn't feel that way. I know many people have interpreted the ending and I actually do believe one theory. The theory that Johann learns after Nina forgives him and Tenma still doesn't shoot him, and that afterwards Johan won't kill again makes perfect sense to me. But still, leaving it up to interpretation and not defining it for sure, did not sit well with me. After 74 episodes I want finality and it didn't pull off the open-ended "beauty" enough for me. So sadly, I give the show a 9/10. Still an amazing show that I'm glad I watched but too disappointing of an ending to be 10/10.
DanWallMar 2, 2016 5:02 PM
Mar 12, 2016 4:58 PM

Mar 2011
DanWall said:
After watching this episode, I felt really conflicted. I absolutely loved the show the whole way through, it was with Steins;Gate as my favorite anime and I had it as a 10/10 throughout practically the whole watch. I even liked the slow parts that some people didn't like because I felt it developed characters and added real weight to when everything did go to hell in the crazier episodes.

The characters were also amazing. Tenma and Nina are two of my favorite characters ever cause they were so well written. And there were soooo many snagging side characters. Practically every character was just written so freaking well. The only character who I wish had a bit more backstory would be Lunge, but eh it wasn't too glaring.

But that ending... As a general I don't like open-ended endings, I feel that after everything, the writer should tell the viewer how it really ended. There are some exceptions, like in the movie Inception. It had an open-ended ending but I never disliked that because it played into the theme and was actually a really beautiful ending. While I can see the argument that the same could be said for Monster's ending, I didn't feel that way. I know many people have interpreted the ending and I actually do believe one theory. The theory that Johann learns after Nina forgives him and Tenma still doesn't shoot him, and that afterwards Johan won't kill again makes perfect sense to me. But still, leaving it up to interpretation and not defining it for sure, did not sit well with me. After 74 episodes I want finality and it didn't pull off the open-ended "beauty" enough for me. So sadly, I give the show a 9/10. Still an amazing show that I'm glad I watched but too disappointing of an ending to be 10/10.

I totally agree with you.

Men are props on the stage of life, and no matter how tender, how exquisite…
A lie will remain a lie.

Mar 14, 2016 12:15 PM

Jun 2011
Amazing build up at the beginning, with poor pay off. Thematically it may have been pretty neat, but the execution was weak, and sometimes way too convenient. Some characters get too much screen time despite their little contribution toward the story. Johan was honestly, a disappointing villain. He was build up to be this massive evil, but in the end he was just a lonely individual.

After 20-ish episodes, the series felt kinda draggy. Even worse, the ending was open in regard to Johan's survival and his future plan.

I have read some comments and one said that the Johan at the end was just Tenma's imagination? Tenma went crazy because he can't save Johan? Uhm, don't you see how flawed that argument is? He would have gone crazy much earlier if he couldn't handle some deaths. Or perhaps, it's all in Tenma's mind, this entire 74 episodes.
Yeah, now you notice how far-fetched it sounded.

The premise of the series alone warrant a pretty decent score for the series, and the show throughout was rather realistic, except for a few moments where the events had to be forced into a direction because the story was yet to be completely unfolded, and certain shounen-y element that was present in the story was rather cringeworthy when mixed with a realistic setting like this.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Mar 14, 2016 12:19 PM
Jul 2018
In my opinion Monster is the greatest, most well-rounded, meticulously crafted anime of all time. It's just not my favourite. It's my 4th fave.
Mar 15, 2016 3:34 AM
Oct 2013
after 1 year watching this series, It finally ended yesterday.
I'm satisfied with the whole episodes of this series, even though I'm a little bit disappointed with the open-ending.

Great storyline, great characters development, great animation(Very realistic), but a little bit boring, because the pace of the story was just too slow for me. I still prefer Death Note to Monster.

9/10. And the best character is Grimmer!

Mar 17, 2016 3:53 PM

Mar 2014
One year to watch it ?
Took me like 3 days ! :D
Really powerful anime, I would recommend it to anyone.
I'm not fan of the police / thriller genre but this was a masterpiece, take my 10!
Mar 17, 2016 11:39 PM

Feb 2016
Mokey said:
I can't believe how many people are giving this series a 10/10, especially with such an anti-climactic ending. The ending would have been so much better if Johan pulled a gun on Bonaparta and then got shot by Lunge or Grimmer. That way a major character could have put an end to everything without Anna or Tenma being "tainted." The clash between Lunge and Roberto was great, until Lunge said, "I won the fight but then turned around and got knocked out and Roberto didn't kill me for some reason, lol." Lunge should have killed Roberto, or Roberto could have just died when Tenma shot him at the library. Then Tenma would already have been a killer and could have shot Johan at the end. Roberto's story wasn't interesting at all; he worked better as a simple hitman who was fascinated by Johan's plans. On top of that, his connection to Grimmer was completely pointless and didn't make me feel anything.

I wasn't expecting Nina to kill Johan or anything like that, but forgiving him? Then Tenma saves Johan again? That was some of the most cliche shit in the entire series. I knew I was going to have some problems when Nina said Johan wanted the perfect suicide, but I wasn't expecting a motivation as shitty as "because mommy didn't love me." Tenma is found innocent, which would basically involve proving Johan's guilt, and Johan isn't even handcuffed to his bed or anything? Johan basically gets off because we are supposed to feel sorry for him, even though he has killed countless people. Are we supposed to believe he has changed because Nina forgave him, but the love of all of his foster parent's didn't even make a dent? The ending didn't provide closure at all and didn't leave the plot open in an interesting way.

The storytelling wasn't that great throughout the entire series. There were constantly bits of information thrown around that didn't go anywhere or things that just didn't make sense. At one point Nina "discovers" that Johan has multiple personalities, but this is just never mentioned again. The same thing happens when Nina goes full-schizo on Gillen. Why would Richard down a bottle of whiskey when he was so excited to see his daughter? Why would Johan need an apprentice? He obviously doesn't consider the guy a friend. Is he just grooming him to be a useful pawn as a politician? What would be the point of that when he has an uncanny ability to worm his way into people's lives? When Johan first sees the picture book, he freaks out and it is never clear why he has such a dramatic break in character. Does he regain memories at that point or something? If that is the case, then what the hell was his motivation before seeing the book? What was Johan's motivation to screw over Tenma in the first place? If his issue was needing love, wouldn't having your life saved be the ultimate cure for that?

In fact, it is difficult to see the motivation for many of the characters. Tenma never really has a good reason to drop everything a pursue Johan. He is hellbent on killing Johan, then completely changes his morals to that of an eight year old when he actually gets the chance. We never know what the hell Nina is planning. Every time something important happens she has a mental breakdown and accomplishes nothing. Then in the end, she just forgives Johan for killing four of her parents and destroying her life without giving a reasonable explanation for her change of heart. Everyone else helps Tenma because he seems like a nice guy, basically, which hardly explains putting themselves in so much danger. It is never really explained why so many powerful people followed Johan's plan to the point of murdering others and we don't know what any of the experiments were for.

I didn't care for how forced the twins thing was, they way overused terms like "monster" and "demon" for a show that didn't have a literal monster (not that I wanted one), 511 Kinderheim stopped being interesting once every character introduced was a survivor of it, the pacing was terrible at points, and I simply don't relate to the characters' ideals.

I was expecting things to be pulled together in a really spectacular way toward the end, but it just never happened. I guess I was expecting too much and was let down. This anime was like a 6/10 at best.

I agree with your analysis, a few points I disagree but you dare address some of the plotholes and 'new infos that fizzle out from the plot' that most seems to skirt around.
Cloud_IllusionMar 17, 2016 11:56 PM
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Apr 3, 2016 6:45 AM

Nov 2011
9. One of the, if not the best psychological thrillers of the modern era.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Apr 19, 2016 6:08 AM

Oct 2015
Mokey said:
I can't believe how many people are giving this series a 10/10, especially with such an anti-climactic ending. The ending would have been so much better if Johan pulled a gun on Bonaparta and then got shot by Lunge or Grimmer. That way a major character could have put an end to everything without Anna or Tenma being "tainted." The clash between Lunge and Roberto was great, until Lunge said, "I won the fight but then turned around and got knocked out and Roberto didn't kill me for some reason, lol." Lunge should have killed Roberto, or Roberto could have just died when Tenma shot him at the library. Then Tenma would already have been a killer and could have shot Johan at the end. Roberto's story wasn't interesting at all; he worked better as a simple hitman who was fascinated by Johan's plans. On top of that, his connection to Grimmer was completely pointless and didn't make me feel anything.

I wasn't expecting Nina to kill Johan or anything like that, but forgiving him? Then Tenma saves Johan again? That was some of the most cliche shit in the entire series. I knew I was going to have some problems when Nina said Johan wanted the perfect suicide, but I wasn't expecting a motivation as shitty as "because mommy didn't love me." Tenma is found innocent, which would basically involve proving Johan's guilt, and Johan isn't even handcuffed to his bed or anything? Johan basically gets off because we are supposed to feel sorry for him, even though he has killed countless people. Are we supposed to believe he has changed because Nina forgave him, but the love of all of his foster parent's didn't even make a dent? The ending didn't provide closure at all and didn't leave the plot open in an interesting way.

The storytelling wasn't that great throughout the entire series. There were constantly bits of information thrown around that didn't go anywhere or things that just didn't make sense. At one point Nina "discovers" that Johan has multiple personalities, but this is just never mentioned again. The same thing happens when Nina goes full-schizo on Gillen. Why would Richard down a bottle of whiskey when he was so excited to see his daughter? Why would Johan need an apprentice? He obviously doesn't consider the guy a friend. Is he just grooming him to be a useful pawn as a politician? What would be the point of that when he has an uncanny ability to worm his way into people's lives? When Johan first sees the picture book, he freaks out and it is never clear why he has such a dramatic break in character. Does he regain memories at that point or something? If that is the case, then what the hell was his motivation before seeing the book? What was Johan's motivation to screw over Tenma in the first place? If his issue was needing love, wouldn't having your life saved be the ultimate cure for that?

In fact, it is difficult to see the motivation for many of the characters. Tenma never really has a good reason to drop everything a pursue Johan. He is hellbent on killing Johan, then completely changes his morals to that of an eight year old when he actually gets the chance. We never know what the hell Nina is planning. Every time something important happens she has a mental breakdown and accomplishes nothing. Then in the end, she just forgives Johan for killing four of her parents and destroying her life without giving a reasonable explanation for her change of heart. Everyone else helps Tenma because he seems like a nice guy, basically, which hardly explains putting themselves in so much danger. It is never really explained why so many powerful people followed Johan's plan to the point of murdering others and we don't know what any of the experiments were for.

I didn't care for how forced the twins thing was, they way overused terms like "monster" and "demon" for a show that didn't have a literal monster (not that I wanted one), 511 Kinderheim stopped being interesting once every character introduced was a survivor of it, the pacing was terrible at points, and I simply don't relate to the characters' ideals.

I was expecting things to be pulled together in a really spectacular way toward the end, but it just never happened. I guess I was expecting too much and was let down. This anime was like a 6/10 at best.

Nailed it. I would give it a 7/10 though.
Apr 21, 2016 4:29 AM

Mar 2015
I finally had the time to complete this series... Monster gave me the chills, smiles, sadness, some detective thoughts and It made me reflect about some stuffs in life, but not to the point of affecting my personal life lol! .. I think we all know that Yohan's character is more interesting than the protagonist - tenma. He was a mystery, i formed this thought of him being a coldblooded manipulative villain, a psycho with such dept. Towards the end, the perfect suicide plan and yohan's issue was unraveled, its like a sudden, last minute weakness on his character. I guess this was the letdown for some viewers, the last scene at the hospital left some uncertainty but its not really a surprise. Japan's culture to "better leave things unsaid" is in-effect, tho its not working for western people. XD

still a masterpiece for me, we got superb story and characters here. I was also expecting a better execution for last last ep. but it doesn't matter, I felt the journey from this anime..
chill, let's just agree to disagree.
Apr 30, 2016 3:26 PM
Dec 2015
Una buena serie acaba de llegar a su fin. Un camino recorrido de triztesas, terror, desesperanza....
Excelente historia.. Estuvo genial el contexto que manejaron.. Una de las mejores series que he seguido
May 12, 2016 12:50 AM

Apr 2014
Just finished it. Amazing series. 10/10 for sure.
May 21, 2016 9:15 AM
Aug 2014
Phew, finally finished after about 4 months.

I would have given it an 8/10, mainly for a mostly well-written and interesting plot, but I dropped it to 7/10 because the pacing really dragged in places (to the point where there was a whole month I just couldn't bare the chore of watching it). There would be a couple of episodes with lots of action, then half a dozen episodes developing minor characters with pretty much nothing happening, then a couple of action episodes again etc.

I really think this deserves to be remade/rebooted at some point. Maybe next time they can tighten the pacing and do more character development in parallel with plot development (instead of having more-or-less separate episodes for each). Better graphics would be good, and I think it could have been 12 hours instead of 24; a few minor characters and dialogue scenes might have to go, but sometimes less is more.
Jun 10, 2016 9:21 AM

Feb 2013
So their mother was alive, and on that day she gave Nina to Franz or did she want to give Johan, kinda hard to know if both were dressed like that.
That ending left me wondering, did Johan leave or did he die.
Jun 13, 2016 5:20 AM

May 2015
juicykitten95 said:

you are taking the "name" part too literally
"Name" is not just a word people call you,to Jahon having a "Name" means having a place in the world and tenmas "name" is a doctor who saves lives of all people no meter who they are aka all lives are equal in his eyes.Johan wanted to put tenmas "name",being,belief to the test by forcing him to shot him and proving him wrong.He wanted his life to be taken away by someone who cherishes life the most to prove how meaningless his existence is.

And he was shot by some alcoholic nobody at the end of the day, pfft, wut a punk. And a punk Human-being too.
ashfrliebertJun 13, 2016 5:39 AM
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Jun 13, 2016 5:25 AM

May 2015
Mokey said:
That way a major character could have put an end to everything without Anna or Tenma being "tainted." Lunge should have killed Roberto, or Roberto could have just died when Tenma shot him at the library. Then Tenma would already have been a killer and could have shot Johan at the end. Roberto's story wasn't interesting at all; he worked better as a simple hitman who was fascinated by Johan's plans. On top of that, his connection to Grimmer was completely pointless and didn't make me feel anything.

He was just shot by a normal drunkard in his own home town, that's the whole point. He's just a normal human being who was put on a pedestal his life and he was shot by a normal human in a normal little town. You're not suppose to feel *sorry* for him, wut. Whether or not Temna does or not, I don't remember you being Temna. |:

Monster is not a spectacular little series, because it's antagonist is not a spectacular little person. He's just a normal human being(And mass murderer). I think people are mistaking Monster to be some sort of elaborate SVU episode.

I don't think you're gonna respond, but want to get the point across.

LPGeneratorx said:
Hmm... I'm not sure how I feel about this ending. It's like everything but Johan was concluded.

He was mysterious all throughout the show, and it ended with him still being mysterious.

I really would've liked his motives to be explained, like why he decided to screw over that entire town.

Definitely going to give it a 9/10, but only after I can fully comprehend the story.

It was explained way earlier, he was trying to commit the perfect suicide. Kill everyone who knows him, kill himself too. You know.

ToG25thBaam said:
Johan was honestly, a disappointing villain. He was build up to be this massive evil, but in the end he was just a lonely individual.

That's the point! :P
ashfrliebertJun 13, 2016 5:39 AM
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Jun 19, 2016 11:02 PM
Jul 2018
9/10

The storytelling was amazing, kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time (even if some parts felt slow). The only gripe I have with this show is how "out there" it was at times. Parts like Grimmer talking to Tenma about his feelings while hugging a traumatized child, the detective chilling with Johan or the drunk seeing a literal monster with horns in front of him felt stupid and incredibly forced at times.

Even then, I think the real monster in the end was supposed to be me for not watching this sooner.
Jul 22, 2016 10:31 AM

Aug 2014
The ending isn't the best, but its not bad as some people call it.
Great Episode.

Animation: There wasn't much movement and its not much detailed, kinda expected because the nature of the show. (7)

Art: Liked the characters design very much, not much work on world design. (8)

Sounds: Amazing OP loved it, Great OST and voices. (9)

Story: one of the best stories in Anime, I would've rated it 12 here, but the pacing isn't very good and the ending could've been better, however everything else is amazing, engaging plot and great plot-twists, interesting concept and a very detailed story line. (10)

Characters: The best ever, this anime has the best cast of every anime I've ever seen, Each character has its own personality, they are likable and are not one-dimensional, even the side characters were very well handled, excellent character development, and arguably the best supporting character of all time (Grimmer). Interesting Villain. (12)

Enjoyment: I loved it, preventing it from 10 is not so good pacing, and how they cut every scene where there is some brutal death, let me see it dammit, I really wanted to see How Grimmer killed those guys at episode 71, or any face-off (murder-scene). They cut it and only make the sound of a gun-shot, it was annoying, also another issue is that some episodes were easily predictable. (9)

Atmosphere-World-Building: It delivers the atmosphere very well. (10)-(9)

My Final Score: 9.5/10

Overall: One of the best shows I've ever seen. could've been better ofcourse but its still excellent show.

Manga is 10/10 - due to amazing characters and story and very good art.
Anime isn't a 10 simply because the lack of a better animation and the lack of those brutal scenes, it is the reason that i won't give it a 10/10.

An Excellent Thriller.
Jul 23, 2016 6:05 PM

May 2015
I was confused that grimmer is supposed to be from kinderheim but it's only shown that Johan and his apprentice were the only survivors? Did really enjoy this anime but felt some of the plot needed more explanation, at the end did the mother choose to give up nina or Johan?read somewhere he wanted to erase everything connected to them to protect nina from her memories of being the unwanted one, but then why would he kill her adopted parents? I like how this anime is making me think about it even after its finished.
Jul 23, 2016 10:55 PM

May 2015
jedman said:
I was confused that grimmer is supposed to be from kinderheim but it's only shown that Johan and his apprentice were the only survivors? Did really enjoy this anime but felt some of the plot needed more explanation, at the end did the mother choose to give up nina or Johan?read somewhere he wanted to erase everything connected to them to protect nina from her memories of being the unwanted one, but then why would he kill her adopted parents? I like how this anime is making me think about it even after its finished.
It was explained that Grimmer left Kinderheim before the arrival of Johan.

It is not important which one he chose the important thing is that she made a choice even if she made a mistake. From the child's perspective she was able to say that one of them was not wanted, the big doubt Johan has is whether he was the one the mother could throw away or not.

He trusts no one anymore so he kills everyone that knows about them.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 24, 2016 1:03 AM

May 2015
That makes sense thanks,

Also why was Johan dressed like Nina? because the Mum escaped and was in hiding?

Also what happened to the Mum after, seems she abandoned the kids?

and the memory that Johan had that Anna didn't was of the Mothers choice?
jedmanJul 24, 2016 1:44 AM
Aug 12, 2016 12:11 AM

Oct 2015
i liked yohan but the story was long for nothing because some episodes were a waste and retold yohans chilhood. it kinda sucked by the way it ended like eva not dying and hearing both yohan and anna's real names. The series threaded carefully and was tedious in some parts 7/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Aug 31, 2016 6:35 AM
May 2014
Finally I finished watching Monster. I really enjoyed watching it, although I was a bit disappointed, since I've been waiting for the big finale, where all of the stories would come together, but somehow the ending wasn't as exciting as I would have hoped for.

As for the real names of the twins, after a bit of thinking I came to the conclusion that the twins must have been called Johan and Nina ever since.
In one of the last episodes Franz Bonaparta told Tenma, that he loved the mother of the twins and when he learned that the girl was being called Nina now he starts crying, as if he is happy that she is finally called how her mother wanted her to.
"Johan, that's a wonderful name." - I think stating this in one of his books shows that Franz Bonaparta also did like the name which the mother wanted to give the boy.
But that's just my opinion. ^_^"
Sep 4, 2016 12:37 PM
Jun 2013
People, we should be much more understanding to each other. ( i mean the idea of show)

Show is a masterpiece. Enough said.
Sep 7, 2016 1:57 PM

Nov 2014
It's funny how after all he did I just can't hate Johan.
Sep 17, 2016 3:16 AM

Nov 2015
The ending was great! I give it 9/10 I could have given it 10/10 if the anime was not too slow. I think the anime could have been completed with about 40 episodes.

Johan was an epic character indeed. So he escapes from the hospital and will do whatever he pleases
Oct 4, 2016 4:17 AM

Aug 2016
Namratanikki said:
The ending was great! I give it 9/10 I could have given it 10/10 if the anime was not too slow. I think the anime could have been completed with about 40 episodes.

Johan was an epic character indeed. So he escapes from the hospital and will do whatever he pleases

that or did he commit suicide? because from seeing the trees outside the window it was definitely a fall you would die from
Oct 4, 2016 9:20 PM
Jul 2015
I know that the mother choosing between Anna and Johan had to play a psychological role in the series, but what if she gave up Anna because she knew that she was able to save one of the twins from becoming a monster and she knew that Anna had the potential to not become the monster. Also, she knew that Poppe loved her so giving him a female twin which resembled her might of sparked something in Poppe to stop the experiment (which it did).
Oct 5, 2016 1:14 AM

Nov 2015
Sywed said:
Namratanikki said:

that or did he commit suicide? because from seeing the trees outside the window it was definitely a fall you would die from

Hey yes you are very right! I didn't noticed that before but now I think that yes there is a possibility that he committed suicide
Oct 14, 2016 10:51 AM

Aug 2016
Just finished watching Monster. Great series overall, but one thing has me scratching my head.

Why did Johan want to kill himself?
Oct 20, 2016 5:20 AM

Feb 2016
good question...

I think the first time was when he continued to kill his foster parents probably due to his fear of Bonaparte the monster which continued to track them down as well as maybe because he severely distrusted and disdained humans, the exception being Nina. So he perhaps wanted to protect Nina and himself.

He told Nina to shoot him as a sort of twisted apology for his actions.

The second time is full circle when he pieces his muddled memory back together. There are a few theories floating around the internet. I have no bloody clue. I think he wanted to kill himself when he realised that Nina would never want to have anything to do with him again. If Nina was what the world Johan envisioned revolved around and if Nina could not tolerate his presence, then the only recourse would be to at least remove himself and her haunted past as a meagre parting gift

Maybe the manga would explain it far better. I'm reading Berserk right now and the few lines here and there create a more comprehensive portait for each character and the underlying themes that are patiently being built up. The anime did an admirable job of condensing it (important parts which the manga would then cover other material), but I can completely understand why some Berserk fans were aghast with the tv series.
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Oct 26, 2016 1:17 AM

Jan 2016
Wow, when an ending ruin a great series.

There was a fuckton of great endings they could've pulled. Even if they wanted to go the "Moral" "Message" route, there was a lot of better ways to do it.
I could write a whole essay about the dumb shit that happened these past two episodes, but i'm not even gonna bother.

I just wanna say that Tenma is one of the worst MC i've ever seen, no character development whatsoever, and this awful ending made it even worse.

also, What's the point of introducing the mother in the last ep? oh "She is the real monster" FOH with that crap. Where was she the whole series? Why nobody was looking for her?
You would think Tenma or Johan or even Lunge will look for her/find her but NOPE.

and How the fuck is Johan not handcuffed and supervised? Jesus the more i think about this ending the dumber it gets.

in the end, i really don't know how to rate this, the story was good, and the ending was absolutely atrocious
Easily one the of the worst endings i've ever seen.

Monster, Thanks for wasting my time with your dragged out slow paced episodes, boring side stories, convenient plot and annoying characters
Just to be awarded with the dumbest ending ever, that made this whole show useless.
Pages (13) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monster Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kayro - Apr 5, 2008

196 by dkharanime »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Monster Episode 48 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 12, 2008

111 by Sapewloth »»
Yesterday, 1:08 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 46 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 12, 2008

110 by Sapewloth »»
Jun 11, 7:30 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 44 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Trie - Mar 10, 2008

436 by Sapewloth »»
Jun 11, 6:20 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 38 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kayro - Apr 10, 2008

160 by Sapewloth »»
Jun 9, 5:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.