Nov 2014
Unyilkdr said:
ExTamplier said:
I don't think you know what lol is.
i think she mean pettanko.
probably he is

Aug 22, 2015 6:44 PM
Feb 2014
It won't take long before people start ignorantly equating this to pe... Oh wait too late. This thread has no fate.
Aug 22, 2015 6:46 PM

May 2012
Height distribution of 16-yo Japanese high-school students (in cm):

The modal height for girls is 158 cm, or 5' 2".
SeijiSenseiAug 22, 2015 6:49 PM
Aug 22, 2015 6:46 PM

Mar 2015
ExTamplier said:
Unyilkdr said:
i think she mean pettanko.
probably he is
oh yeah, forgot. rule 30.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Aug 22, 2015 6:47 PM
Feb 2014
Also it's the white pigs against saying people can't be short, lol!
Aug 22, 2015 7:11 PM

Apr 2015
because most short girls are cute in anime, but im not a lolicon >:(
Aug 22, 2015 7:14 PM

Jan 2014
I feel like men in anime are pretty short too. Like the average male in anime, (at least to my knowledge) is around 5'8". I guess that's not too short but still, it's still pretty short for a male considering I'm a 5'8" female.
Aug 22, 2015 7:35 PM
Jul 2018
The tallest middle school anime girl I've seen so far is Megu from Assassination Classroom. She's about 5'7", about half the size as Korosensei and the same height as Bitch-sensei.

I don't know if there's any anime middle school girl taller than her.
Aug 23, 2015 12:57 AM

May 2015
-this-is-the-end said:
TheBrainintheJar said:
I'm not Asian even here women are generally shorter than men.
Yes women generally are shorter than men but by this much? http://40.media.tumblr.com/f0bcd662dd00b8e7023332b75a233ac7/tumblr_nfddzpar7P1u2yov3o1_250.jpg

I know a lot of women shorter than that.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Aug 23, 2015 2:45 AM

Jul 2015
DrCoppelius said:
-this-is-the-end said:
But even the good animes like Psycho-pass fall pray to these steriotypes, The main character looks pretty moe to me.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2012-10-11/psycho-pass-chief-director/word-moe-is-banned-among-staff
Pfft, and yet they went so far as to ban the word "moe" because they didn't want their show to have moe in it. They're just that hardcore.

Anyway, short people are superior.
I mean they tried to make her look A BIT more human in the film, But the moe was strong in the first series.... then again they apparently got a shoujo character designer, I mean if they had made her taller. They couldn't have made her so moe. And lets face it what kind of Police force would enroll someone with such a lack of physical strenghth, But in my eyes its still a very good and well written story.
Aug 23, 2015 2:49 AM

Nov 2009
Short is cute, short is love! <3
Aug 23, 2015 3:34 AM

Jul 2015
Nico- said:
Are you trying to say I'm racist? People can be tall/short from any country what's your point?
Aug 23, 2015 3:35 AM

Jun 2014
-this-is-the-end said:
Nico- said:
Are you trying to say I'm racist? People can be tall/short from any country what's your point?

Don't take anything he says seriously, he is the human embodiment of Nico Yazawa.
Aug 23, 2015 3:46 AM

Jul 2015
Jerkhov said:
-this-is-the-end said:

Don't take anything he says seriously, he is the human embodiment of Nico Yazawa.
Jeez so many butthurt people. I'm not trying to say short characters are bad but the way they represent them makes them seem like they cannot to anything themselves have to depend on other characters allot more, making them seem helpless because they need to be protected because of their height.
Aug 23, 2015 4:01 AM

Apr 2014
Because girls are usually shorter than guys, and there are proportions in anime that are usually used since it's what most anime fans are used to.

Aug 23, 2015 4:12 AM

Jul 2015
Milk_is_Special said:
Because girls are usually shorter than guys, and there are proportions in anime that are usually used since it's what most anime fans are used to.

This is what I'm talking about. The guys SEEM huge but they`re only like 180 cm. To me it just seems awkward to have such a height gap not cute.
Aug 23, 2015 4:37 AM
Mar 2012
-this-is-the-end said:
Milk_is_Special said:

This is what I'm talking about. The guys SEEM huge but they`re only like 180 cm. To me it just seems awkward to have such a height gap not cute.

To you.

Having a height gap has often been something seen as aesthetically desirable even if it might be a pain in real life sometimes.

But it IS realistic - or rather it's an exageration of realism considering anime/manga are more about exaggeration and style than realism. The standard heights in Japan are 170 for male and 158 for a female. In England they are 177 - 164...I don't think there are THAT many anime that have really tall guys and really small women who are not loli's tbh.

Like it or not, the sterotypical ideal for a man is tall and muscular whilst a woman (we're talking about Japan here) is typically smaller and thinner. Anime plays of sterotypes so that's where it comes from.
Aug 23, 2015 4:48 AM

Oct 2009
I don't go and watch the hobbit and complaining they were short just because in reality people cannot be that short.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Aug 23, 2015 5:47 AM

Apr 2013
Unyilkdr said:
hoopla123 said:
Asians are short and look young.

Besides, even the guys in anime are usually 170-180cm.
you wrong on this.

Agreed. It's a stereotype sold by people that haven't grown around far-east Asians. Koreans, Chinese, and Japanese generally age just as bad (or as well, lol you pick) as other fair skin races ie caucasians.

I mean of course the models, idols, and actresses you see on TV/youtube look young. I mean one of their selling points is their beauty. lol
Aug 23, 2015 6:56 AM
Jul 2015
the loli... they are either for the fans delight or the token moe

majority of anime characters have an average height ranging from 155 cm to 170 cm if less 152 it is considered a loli
Aug 23, 2015 7:22 AM

Jun 2015
-this-is-the-end said:
TheBrainintheJar said:
I'm not Asian even here women are generally shorter than men.
Yes women generally are shorter than men but by this much? http://40.media.tumblr.com/f0bcd662dd00b8e7023332b75a233ac7/tumblr_nfddzpar7P1u2yov3o1_250.jpg

That doesn't even seem that far-fetched, most guys in my region are usually almost a head taller than me, and my height is considered average for girls in my region.
Aug 23, 2015 7:56 AM

Jul 2013
The average height for women in Japan is 158 cm / 5'2 in.
Aug 23, 2015 9:48 AM

Mar 2015
NudeBear said:
Unyilkdr said:
you are wrong on this.
Agreed. It's a stereotype sold by people that haven't grown around far-east Asians. Koreans, Chinese, and Japanese generally age just as bad (or as well, lol you pick) as other fair skin races ie caucasians.

I mean of course the models, idols, and actresses you see on TV/youtube look young. I mean one of their selling points is their beauty. lol
people need go to traditional market or village , that's the plece when people not need to use any cosmetic, and they will see that asians still aged as normal as western.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Aug 23, 2015 11:32 AM

Apr 2015
it wouldnt be cute to have a super tall woman in anime though, a guys masculinity would perish
Aug 23, 2015 2:32 PM

Jul 2015
JakeDagger said:
it wouldnt be cute to have a super tall woman in anime though, a guys masculinity would perish
lmao so this is all just to inflate the average male otakus ego. the writers are probably rolling in cash for bearly any work, its not just for guys though girls like it in shoujo so don`t think I'm a retarded feminist that is accusing males of objectifing female characters its not that straight forward. But since when has "cute" replaced sexy.
Aug 23, 2015 2:37 PM

Mar 2015
-this-is-the-end said:
JakeDagger said:
lmao so this is all just to inflate the average male otakus ego. the writers are probably rolling in cash for bearly any work, its not just for guys though girls like it in shoujo so don`t think I'm a retarded feminist that is accusing males of objectifing female characters its not that straight forward. But since when has "cute" replaced sexy.
watch lovely complex.
Aug 23, 2015 2:56 PM

Jul 2015
Unyilkdr said:
-this-is-the-end said:
watch lovely complex.
I don`t read shoujo.
Aug 23, 2015 3:03 PM

Mar 2015
-this-is-the-end said:
Unyilkdr said:
watch lovely complex.
I don`t read shoujo.
all your example are shoujo.
Aug 23, 2015 3:16 PM

Jul 2015
Unyilkdr said:
-this-is-the-end said:
I don`t read shoujo.
the only two I have read/watched properly are bleach and oresama teacher I'm pretty sure bleach is not a shoujo nor does oresama teacher HAVE any romance in it, I've skim watched toradora because someone recommended it to me, and no I didn't like it. And I gave these as examples because they all have the height ratio that was my original point.
Aug 23, 2015 3:19 PM

Mar 2015
-this-is-the-end said:
Unyilkdr said:
the only two I have read/watched properly are bleach and oresama teacher I'm pretty sure bleach is not a shoujo nor does oresama teacher HAVE any romance in it, I've skim watched toradora because someone recommended it to me, and no I didn't like it. And I gave these as examples because they all have the height ratio that was my original point.
i rarely see any anime other than shoujo or loli anime that have problem with high ratio either.
Aug 23, 2015 3:22 PM

Jul 2013
Because anime aims to be life-like, that's why.
Aug 23, 2015 4:40 PM

Mar 2012
Those are the ideal heights for men and women in Japan. Male characters are tall because tallness is associated with dominance and coolness. Female characters are short because shortness is often associated with cuteness.

Nico Robin, Sakaki, Boa Hancock, Yuuko Ichihara, Risa Koizumi, Isane Kotetsu, and Milly Thompson are some tall female characters.

Kurt_Irving said:

That explains the watermelon-sized breasts and the sparkling bug eyes.

azzuRe said:
I don't go and watch the hobbit and complaining they were short just because in reality people cannot be that short.

What's there to complain about? Those short characters aren't humans.
Aug 23, 2015 4:52 PM

Nov 2008
JakeDagger said:

Kirari would like to have a word with you.

Aug 23, 2015 5:09 PM

Nov 2013
-this-is-the-end said:
Toradora, Oresama teacher, Bleach, nearly every anime ever. The girls look like they're 5'0 and the guys look like they're 6'0, As a person thats 5'8 at 15 I'm thinking wtf? ಠ_ಠ

New generation of kids all seem to be giant. I see middle school and high school kids who are 6'3 - all types of races, white, asian, etc. The food that they eat is filled with hormones.

I prefer my women short for sure.
Aug 23, 2015 6:48 PM

Oct 2009
Aurali said:

azzuRe said:

Yes, they're fictional people. Anime is also a work of fiction in that sense, trying to make sense of it to real life on aesthetic aspect is ridiculous. To begin with, most anime has a huge bug-eyes, while some even has super deformed body, or the world where obesity is nonexistent, or ridiculous gravity denying hair, boobs, and skirts, etc. You can always find something to complain about but the answers would always be the same.

A work of fiction is not necessarily mirrored real life, it all returns to each persons willfulness to suspense their disbelief into buying it's content.
azzuReAug 23, 2015 6:52 PM
Aug 23, 2015 7:03 PM
Aug 2015
It's probably a fetish for little children.
"Those who don't understand true pain, will never understand true peace...." - Pain
Aug 23, 2015 7:12 PM

Nov 2014
Edward Elric :'(
Aug 23, 2015 7:22 PM

Aug 2015
It's a stereotype. Also being short is super cute in the eyes of many especially when the guy is tall, audience appeal?
nalu_Aug 24, 2015 9:52 AM
Aug 23, 2015 7:39 PM

Mar 2012
azzuRe said:
Aurali said:

Yes, they're fictional people. Anime is also a work of fiction in that sense, trying to make sense of it to real life on aesthetic aspect is ridiculous. To begin with, most anime has a huge bug-eyes, while some even has super deformed body, or the world where obesity is nonexistent, or ridiculous gravity denying hair, boobs, and skirts, etc. You can always find something to complain about but the answers would always be the same.

A work of fiction is not necessarily mirrored real life, it all returns to each persons willfulness to suspense their disbelief into buying it's content.

You brought up solid points, but what I was trying to convey was that those characters were supposed to be short because they belong to races that are short (hobbits and dwarves). You can't complain about an inaccurate portrayal when it comes to their height. On the flip side, it's not realistic for only female anime characters to be short when Asians, regardless of sex, are generally short.

Needless to say, I don't search for realism in anime, although I highly appreciate anime with realistic characters.
MischievousGhostAug 23, 2015 7:43 PM
Aug 23, 2015 10:08 PM

Apr 2015
Because shorter = cuter.
Aug 24, 2015 1:13 AM

Jul 2015
XxChidoriXx said:
It's probably a fetish for little children.
+1
Aug 24, 2015 1:18 AM

Jun 2008
Um....does OP know that humans are a sexual dimorphic species and that almost universally the female gender is shorter than males?
Aug 24, 2015 1:33 AM

Jul 2015
JustALEX said:
Um....does OP know that humans are a sexual dimorphic species and that almost universally the female gender is shorter than males?
Does this seem somewhat realistic to you? https://animeguyspl0x.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/hiyokoi-9.png Yes the female of the human species is mostly shorter but by a massive gap in height I don't think so.
Aug 24, 2015 1:55 AM

Oct 2009
-this-is-the-end said:
JustALEX said:
Does this seem somewhat realistic to you? https://animeguyspl0x.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/hiyokoi-9.png Yes the female of the human species is mostly shorter but by a massive gap in height I don't think so.

Oh that reminds me of petite Hayden
Aug 24, 2015 2:40 AM

Nov 2009
SeijiSensei said:
Height distribution of 16-yo Japanese high-school students (in cm):

The modal height for girls is 158 cm, or 5' 2".

So, boys are usually 25 cm (about 1 head) taller than girls.

-this-is-the-end said:
JustALEX said:

That comes from them being on the extreme ends of the distribution. That graph seems to make it quite possible.

From personal experience: I know guys who are 2 meters tall, and girls who are around 1.5 m tall (all of them adult). If they were to meet, the contrast should look something like that.
Aug 24, 2015 2:43 AM
May 2009
When I was there the women were quite short, I only bumped into a few who were nearly as tall as me. Guys wise varied from same height as women or same height as me and rarely someone taller.
Aug 24, 2015 3:29 AM

Sep 2013
-this-is-the-end said:
JustALEX said:
yeah, this is completely realistic. There are some tall Asians, it's called a bell distribution for a reason.
wow
Aug 24, 2015 3:31 AM

Jun 2014
Kurt_Irving said:
All credit goes to Sacred.
Aug 24, 2015 5:48 AM

Jun 2015
-this-is-the-end said:
Toradora, Oresama teacher, Bleach, nearly every anime ever. The girls look like they're 5'0 and the guys look like they're 6'0, As a person thats 5'8 at 15 I'm thinking wtf? ಠ_ಠ

My wife, who is half Filipino, is 4'10"
Aug 24, 2015 7:36 AM

Aug 2011
Asian women tend to be short.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» show me your anime 3x3 ( 1 2 3 4 )

707supremacist - May 5

152 by Zarutaku »»
10 minutes ago

» Hottest Adult Characters in anime? ( 1 2 )

RedTea33 - May 27

50 by Archean-Return »»
19 minutes ago

» I am praising the anime industry in general (a short topic where I'm sharing my personal thoughts).

9765 - Yesterday

9 by Zarutaku »»
20 minutes ago

» MAL Clubs

Ryzenn11_ - 41 minutes ago

2 by Catalano »»
29 minutes ago

» Which is the correct anime consumption posture?

SgtBateMan - Yesterday

14 by SgtBateMan »»
45 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.