Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jun 18, 2015 11:31 PM
Jun 2015
Anime is prohibitively expensive to buy on DvD and easy to stream or download. It would cost you in excess of 1000 USD to buy Bleach over here. Idk how many people will spend that kind of money to watch an anime series. Also what on earth are people supposed to do with all those discs. Anime needs to be available for a monthly subscription with maybe a little bit of adds on the side imo. Better to get more people paying than fewer people paying more in my opinion.
Jun 18, 2015 11:33 PM
Aug 2014
The anime industry is in bad shape because so many christians and republicans are against it. >:/
Jun 19, 2015 12:00 AM
Jan 2015
dakotasapphire said:

Except dvds have 720px quality and are pretty decent. That's usually what they show on tv. And people can't afford to pay hundreds of dollars for just 2 days worth of entertainment. It's not worth it. I don't see how Japanese people would put up with it either.

I just wanted to say one thing: The max resolution for DVD is 720x480, which is 480p, not 720p. 720p is 1280x720, it's the second number that matters. Any resolution over 480p with a DVD player is upscaled. Some BDs are not worth buying though, because they used the same source material as the DVD and upscale it. Example: My Big O BDs weren't worth it, because I already owned the DVDs, they were just upscaled 480p (even though they could have created a new HD transfer of the first season, they didn't). You have to do your homework before you buy a BD, or you might get burned.
Jun 19, 2015 3:18 PM
Sep 2010
Withdrawal said:
Anime is prohibitively expensive to buy on DvD and easy to stream or download. It would cost you in excess of 1000 USD to buy Bleach over here. Idk how many people will spend that kind of money to watch an anime series. Also what on earth are people supposed to do with all those discs. Anime needs to be available for a monthly subscription with maybe a little bit of adds on the side imo. Better to get more people paying than fewer people paying more in my opinion.

Anime Lab

Crunchyroll

Hanabee

Come again.
Jun 19, 2015 7:19 PM

Nov 2012
Drunk_Samurai said:

Tomoki_Sakurai said:

Yea so what? Piracy is not helping the industry. Is that something you can't comprehend? I never said piracy was the reason for Japan's financial predicament. You can't even understand a fucking sentence so what are you even doing here?

Then that is still just as ignorant. Many people have bought products after pirating them first.

Most people that are able to buy shows in their region already have some way of watching legally anyway. I'd go far as to say that the amount of sales.in which a person viewed it illegally and then bought a legitimate product based solely on watching it at all is less than 1% In sales.
Jun 19, 2015 7:25 PM

Jan 2009
because japanese TV channels no longer pay for the making of anime unlike in the 80s and 90s
Jun 19, 2015 8:08 PM

Aug 2007
Tomoki_Sakurai said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

Then that is still just as ignorant. Many people have bought products after pirating them first.

Most people that are able to buy shows in their region already have some way of watching legally anyway. I'd go far as to say that the amount of sales.in which a person viewed it illegally and then bought a legitimate product based solely on watching it at all is less than 1% In sales.

I laughed at less than 1%.
Jun 19, 2015 8:56 PM

Dec 2014
I think it is also partly because the popular anime makes a lot of money, whereas the rest all suffer
Not sure how reliable this website is, but http://www.someanithing.com/series-data-quick-view might help
Jun 19, 2015 8:57 PM

Nov 2012
Drunk_Samurai said:
Tomoki_Sakurai said:

I laughed at less than 1%.

Yea see your just an asshole that can't handle talking about anything that requires slight amounts of brain power. Nothing but quotes and one liners from you this entire time. So you wanna have a conversation then fine, but you obviously just want attention or trying to cause arguments.
Tomoki_SakuraiJun 19, 2015 9:01 PM
Jun 20, 2015 11:35 AM

Aug 2007
Tomoki_Sakurai said:
Yea see your just an asshole that can't handle talking about anything that requires slight amounts of brain power. Nothing but quotes and one liners from you this entire time. So you wanna have a conversation then fine, but you obviously just want attention or trying to cause arguments.

You're the one who is assuming every single download is a lost sale. It's ridiculous to also claim that the amount of sales from piracy is less than 1%. Anime and manga itself wouldn't be as popular as it is now without piracy either. I'm also not claiming it's a large amount but it's definitely much higher than less than 1%. More people wouldn't buy the products in the first place than the ones who pirated then later bought.
Jun 20, 2015 11:42 AM

Nov 2011
Drunk_Samurai said:
Tomoki_Sakurai said:

You're the one who is assuming every single download is a lost sale. It's ridiculous to also claim that the amount of sales from piracy is less than 1%. Anime and manga itself wouldn't be as popular as it is now without piracy either. I'm also not claiming it's a large amount but it's definitely much higher than less than 1%. More people wouldn't buy the products in the first place than the ones who pirated then later bought.

This is more true internationally. Within Japan, it could be a completely different story, as most sales come from within Japan for obvious reasons. Very few anime have international sales as their target.

Piracy, in my opinion, has definitely improved international sales, as it's promotion, and there ARE people who want to support creators they like. While it's true that's not the majority, much of that majority would not have bought the anime in the first place.

I've steered away from piracy, myself, and mostly use legal streaming, but I admit piracy is what first introduced me to anime as a hobby. And even then, I buy many of the series I like regardless of whether they're available on streaming or not.
Jun 20, 2015 6:09 PM

Jun 2015
Comic_Sans said:
Because anime was a mistake

Good shit OP
{ 春にはすべてが変わるでしょう。}
Jun 20, 2015 6:50 PM
Mar 2011
j0x said:
because japanese TV channels no longer pay for the making of anime unlike in the 80s and 90s

thy never did the fact is studios wre richer back then even smaller studios cuald affod a big flop ot two bakc in the 80's and 90's hinemase is the biggest flop in movie history made less than 5% of its Bighet back bu pe eva gainax sruvied

inmage if a small studio [ like gainax was back then] had that big a flop today the stuio would die
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jun 20, 2015 7:58 PM
Mar 2013
If you mean the industry economically structural issues, and a niche audience. If you mean the industry as in a medium which is supposed to produce good shows, I'd say it's the audience. It's also that the industry has become more of a means of pandering than anything else.
Jun 21, 2015 8:34 AM

May 2009
offmodel said:
I dug up an old post from Tokyopop's website I thought was worth looking at again:

Digital technology has transformed many industries including publishing. This hit TOKYOPOP very hard since we didn’t have ebook rights to most of our series (except OEL). Unfortunately our Japanese licensors did not move fast enough to provide a legitimate alternative to piracy, and piracy shows no mercy. As a result, TOKYOPOP had to shut down its LA office and the licenses to Japanese titles expired, reverting to the Japanese licensors.

What that means is TOKYOPOP is evolving as a company. I know many fans would prefer us to return to being a manga publisher like we were for most of our history. However, manga will never disappear – we will do what we can to deliver manga. I plan on experimenting with new ways to bring you Asian pop culture. Please keep an open mind – and give feedback (not just negative when you don’t like something but also positive when you like something) so we can tweak our approach.

Straight from Tokyopop on that, no speculation needed. http://tokyopop.com/happy-new-year-and-new-site/

Even more proof that piracy is a service problem above anything else. If legal alternatives popped up around the time piracy gained ground, things might have looked different right now. Instead, media companies sat on their asses for well over a decade while offering nothing in return. And still they wonder why people started acquiring shows through non-legal means.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 21, 2015 1:38 PM

Jun 2007
AO968 said:
Even more proof that piracy is a service problem above anything else. If legal alternatives popped up around the time piracy gained ground, things might have looked different right now. Instead, media companies sat on their asses for well over a decade while offering nothing in return. And still they wonder why people started acquiring shows through non-legal means.
Where does this "over a decade" figure come from? If we start from the beginnings of digital fansubbing around mid-2000, we only have to go to late 2007 to find efforts to provide legal alternatives. Well under a decade. And now that there are legal alternatives, we've seen the classic goalposts-moving out of the pirate scene. "We need a legal alternative to view airing anime." "No, we need a legal alternative to view airing anime that does A, B, C, D... X, Y, and Z, has all anime ever made available in every last forsaken* corner of the world in perfect 8K uncensored quality all downloadable at lightning-fast speeds for a very low subscription fee (not paid per-episode) with no DRM." Or in other words, "piracy is a service problem" = "surrender everything and let us keep doing the equivalent of piracy without the threat of legal consequences."

*Because apparently it's "selfish" for people who live in areas where legal alternatives are available to actually use them.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.

Everything that connects to MAL
Jun 21, 2015 1:45 PM

Nov 2008
AO968 said:
offmodel said:
I dug up an old post from Tokyopop's website I thought was worth looking at again:

Straight from Tokyopop on that, no speculation needed. http://tokyopop.com/happy-new-year-and-new-site/

Anime piracy in general has been around for almost 4 decades with digital piracy being around since the late 90's.

Jun 21, 2015 2:38 PM

Oct 2014
Praland said:
Because lolis and moe.
Jun 23, 2015 12:11 PM

Aug 2007
offmodel said:

Digital technology has transformed many industries including publishing. This hit TOKYOPOP very hard since we didn’t have ebook rights to most of our series (except OEL). Unfortunately our Japanese licensors did not move fast enough to provide a legitimate alternative to piracy, and piracy shows no mercy. As a result, TOKYOPOP had to shut down its LA office and the licenses to Japanese titles expired, reverting to the Japanese licensors.

What that means is TOKYOPOP is evolving as a company. I know many fans would prefer us to return to being a manga publisher like we were for most of our history. However, manga will never disappear – we will do what we can to deliver manga. I plan on experimenting with new ways to bring you Asian pop culture. Please keep an open mind – and give feedback (not just negative when you don’t like something but also positive when you like something) so we can tweak our approach.

The companies all blame piracy. They all consider 100% of downloads a lost sale.
Jun 23, 2015 7:39 PM

Sep 2013
Jun 23, 2015 7:53 PM

Aug 2007
ichii_1 said:
This just shows the west is not interested in old anime, sad really :'(
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2015/06/23-1/everything-must-go-anime-sols-stock-liquidation-at-rightstufcom

Not a very good liquidation sale if it's only $20 off.
Jun 24, 2015 10:58 AM

May 2014
Because Japan.
Anyone who doesn't hate anime hasn't watched enough anime.
- Anonymous
Jun 24, 2015 11:59 AM

Aug 2007
Lancehot said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

Not a very good liquidation sale if it's only $20 off.

I read that their rational is they (the Japanese parent companies) would rather destroy stock than "devalue" their IP. Ironic considering their IP didn't have enough value to sell in the first place.

It's a shitty thing to do in general. I don't like the idea of shit getting destroyed just because it doesn't sell. Should be sold for much cheaper or given away so that somebody can enjoy it somewhere. I prefer owning a physical copy than a digital copy if I'm buying something. But even physical copies are cheap as fuck now compared to what they use to be. No games come with instruction booklets even with a physical copy like they use to and it's a shitty thing to do.
Jun 25, 2015 3:33 AM
Jun 2015
Idria said:
Withdrawal said:

Anime Lab

Crunchyroll

Hanabee

Come again.

I didn't know about those sites, I haven't really been watching anime online for that long. Funny thing is none of those sites required me to pay from what I could see. Just money from adds ?
Jun 25, 2015 3:44 AM

Jan 2013
why doesnt japan try to sell/market anime series outside japan ? It seems that stuff like death note and SnK are quite popular world wide.
Jun 25, 2015 3:47 AM

Jul 2013
Blame it on Shaft studio for everything
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 25, 2015 8:35 AM

Sep 2013
juicykitten95 said:
why doesnt japan try to sell/market anime series outside japan ? It seems that stuff like death note and SnK are quite popular world wide.

Even if they sell all the episodes in one box set for $30, people would still complain it's too expensive and not buy it anyway.
It's not the price, it's the westerners.
Jun 25, 2015 2:26 PM

Aug 2007
ichii_1 said:
juicykitten95 said:

Even if they sell all the episodes in one box set for $30, people would still complain it's too expensive and not buy it anyway.

That's complete bullshit and you know it. An entire series for $30 is incredibly cheap.
Jun 25, 2015 7:37 PM

Sep 2013
Drunk_Samurai said:
ichii_1 said:

That's complete bullshit and you know it. An entire series for $30 is incredibly cheap.

You have $30 to spare on "stupid chinese cartoons you can get for free?"
and even if they did buy it it wouldn't be anywhere near enough to turn a profit.
Jun 26, 2015 12:54 AM

Aug 2007
ichii_1 said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

You have $30 to spare on "stupid chinese cartoons you can get for free?"
and even if they did buy it it wouldn't be anywhere near enough to turn a profit.

That would be the anime industry's fault for the system being shitty in Japan.
Jun 27, 2015 12:16 PM

Aug 2007
MaskTai87 said:
Because everything MUST sell, no exceptions. There is no room for people to do what they want to do at a huge risk.

This post makes no sense.
Jun 27, 2015 12:58 PM

Nov 2013
CrimBlacklotus said:
Is it because of Japan's economy?

Don't think its in a bad shape :p
Lab Member 004
Jun 27, 2015 2:15 PM

Jun 2015
because they didn't use a ruler?
Jun 27, 2015 9:42 PM

Sep 2014
Technically the industry as a whole is in much better shape than it ever has been. Since 2013 was the highest grossing year for anime ever recorded, 2014 I believe is right up there too. The quality of recent anime is totally opinion based. But, anime industry is NOT dying any time soon and is not showing any signs of dying.
Jun 27, 2015 9:50 PM

Sep 2013
The anime industry IS NOT in bad shape ._.

Idk where the hell you got that from.
♜♞♝♛♚♝♞♜
♟♟♟♟♟♟♟♟
Join Me, Pawns!
Jun 28, 2015 12:15 AM

Apr 2013
davinci12 said:
Technically the industry as a whole is in much better shape than it ever has been. Since 2013 was the highest grossing year for anime ever recorded, 2014 I believe is right up there too. The quality of recent anime is totally opinion based. But, anime industry is NOT dying any time soon and is not showing any signs of dying.

I agree with you. Since 2013 there have been more shows than ever released per season. Some people will argue that quality > quantity , while I can't completely disagree with them, the quality of recent anime is opinion based. And I also think that studios still try to make good stuff,it's just that in order to get money for it they need to make 3 cheap LN adaptations first. (not that I dislike LN adaptations,but I think that's roughly how the industry works haha)
Jun 28, 2015 12:23 AM

Mar 2012
The way I see it, it's simple...

Japan's anime industry is too ethnocentric in a sense. They only care about their own culture and don't care to create anime that will appeal to an audience outside of Japan.

Granted, I don't think Japan's anime industry is "in that bad of shape," but it does feel like they are missing out on some big time marketing opportunities if they'd create more anime that appeals to people globally and not so much Japan.

Also, anime has this stigma now that "Japanese cartoons are weird" by the "normal" masses because even as a hardcore anime fan, I'll agree...anime is weird. Sometimes that is reason why it is so entertaining (like Nichijou), but the casual fan isn't going to enjoy the "weirdness" of anime.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» When did the term “Japanimation” started to become “anime” and what was the cause of that?

funtime43_tr - 4 minutes ago

0 by funtime43_tr »»
4 minutes ago

» Popular and acclaimed anime that you do not understand the hype of?

Semester1 - 4 hours ago

20 by KeepCalmAndMal »»
4 minutes ago

» Why are prudes trying to censor anime?

GoatPieceLuffy - 8 hours ago

37 by funtime43_tr »»
5 minutes ago

» Write your takes in anime and I'll prove you're incorrect. ( 1 2 3 )

Gashadokur0 - May 21

104 by Gashadokur0 »»
20 minutes ago

» How to deal with anime backlog??

Xenofight - 11 hours ago

13 by Renn »»
34 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.