Forum Settings
Forums

Have you ever dropped an anime because of "spoiler"?

New
Mar 3, 2014 5:54 PM

Jan 2014
Have you dropped an anime because you already knew the plot and revelations thanks to intentionally/unintentionally reading the spoiler?

I am thinking of dropping Death Note because
, thanks to a certain post I have read. Probably, I will come back to it.. But shucks, I am already "spoiled".. :(

How about you? Is reading spoilers detriment in your anime viewing?
Or you can still watch it even you know how it ends?
F0XFIRE said:
OP 4 most butthurt bitch on MAL.

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 3, 2014 6:00 PM

Dec 2012
When I'm watching shows with good stories I usually don't go browsing the through the fanbase where they're most likely to talk about the hypest moments in the show.

Common sense really.
Mar 3, 2014 6:02 PM

Apr 2013
Nope. continued on with Clannad even though I was spoiled in the early episodes of AS.

Probably contributed to my great dislike of the series.
Mar 3, 2014 6:02 PM

Dec 2012
Well kinda in an indirect way.

I dropped HxH (2011) and picked up the manga. I thought since I knew major spoilers, might as well read the manga and not suffer through the slow pace.
Mar 3, 2014 6:03 PM

Apr 2013
Dropped Katangatari because of it.
I felt robbed.
an egomaniac and a fool

Feb 2014
No anime I don't really mind in spoilers considering I used to read certain mangas of animes to find out what happens usually spoiling it for myself.

I have had movies spoiled for me though, by pricks I call friends who watched it before me which was even worse tbh and I still ended up watching them.

Jul 2012
Once I start watching a show I know I like I do my best not to search anything on the internet related to it because of spoilers. Was searching up some Clannad stuff the first time I watched it and got spoiled of a big part of the After Story. Still loved it nonetheless, but still, because of that I don't search up shows that I'm watching & enjoying unless it is currently airing.

Never dropped a show because of spoilers though.
Mar 3, 2014 6:04 PM

Aug 2013
no

Mar 3, 2014 6:07 PM

Jan 2014
Forgetfulness said:
No, but I have put off Clannad because some dick didn't use a spoiler button in some Anime Discussion thread. That's one of the reasons I haven't started it yet (among a few others)

But most of the time, I can forget spoilers pretty easily. It's especially easy if it's something like "-insert some random Japanese name- dies in -insert another random Japanese title-" because it's not that memorable unless it's a common name.

Yay. I still cannot watch Clannad because someone told me
WTF!! Spoilsports should be hanged.

Mod Edit: Spoiler added.
rodacMar 3, 2014 6:59 PM
F0XFIRE said:
OP 4 most butthurt bitch on MAL.

Mar 3, 2014 6:08 PM

Nov 2013
Objurgo said:
When I'm watching shows with good stories I usually don't go browsing the through the fanbase where they're most likely to talk about the hypest moments in the show.

Common sense really.

It still has happened to me a few times even with that common sense unfortunately :(
Mar 3, 2014 6:10 PM
Jul 2013
I dropped Naruto at one point because I was spoiled out of a filler episode if that counts.
Mar 3, 2014 6:11 PM

Jul 2010
Spoilers sure ruin alot of excitement, fun and tension, but i wont drop something because of them.I might miss on something great after all.
Nevertheless, i hate immature people who spoil things for fun, and they think that they are ''cool' because they are ''trolling''.Screw them.Also, people on youtube putting spoilers in video titles and thumbnails...FFS.
Mar 3, 2014 6:13 PM

Aug 2012
Forgetfulness said:
No, but I have put off Clannad because some dick didn't use a spoiler button in some Anime Discussion thread. That's one of the reasons I haven't started it yet (among a few others)
Put off After Story for a year after the first season due to this. I still knew what was gonna happen. =/
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Mar 3, 2014 6:13 PM

Dec 2013
i nearly dropped death note because it was hard to continue watching after i found out
Mar 3, 2014 6:15 PM

Apr 2013

Thanks for spoiling everyone in this thread who hasn't seen Clannad
Mar 3, 2014 6:52 PM

Aug 2009
Some end spoilers can actually get me more interested. It's like watching a mystery story where the first scene is the ending (though false ending in most cases) and the following acts are the events that lead up to it.

Mar 3, 2014 6:56 PM

Jan 2014
Attack on titan spoilers. There everywhere if u go to listen to some ost/ or scene, don't look in the comment section.
Mar 3, 2014 7:01 PM

Jan 2014
I tried to avoid them as much as possible. Never happened to me yet.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Mar 3, 2014 7:04 PM

Dec 2012
Although I'm an anti-spoiler puritan, I have yet to flat out ditch a series as a result of them. Although if I were to, I would drop Naruto since the entire story has been spoiled in bits and pieces already. Gotta love the Narutards.

"Hurr durr I can tell you what happens in the manga cuz i so inteligence hurr i kno whuu da mask man iz omg haha im soooo smart ill ace my sat liek dis!"
Mar 3, 2014 7:21 PM

Jan 2013
I dropped Lucky Star because someone told me it was shit. That's a good enough spoiler for me.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Mar 3, 2014 7:23 PM
Jan 2013
No. When I was watching After Story, I got spoiled so bad but I still finished it. I don't think I could ever drop an anime because I was spoiled, really.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 3, 2014 7:25 PM

Apr 2011
Yep I dropped Clannad after story cuz I read the spoiler somewhere
Mar 3, 2014 8:29 PM

Jan 2014
I still watched Code Geass even after

"Find the twinkle in your smile, chase it on til' morning."
Mar 3, 2014 8:52 PM
Feb 2012
mallow45 said:
I still watched Code Geass even after

wow idk how i would even watch after that
Mar 3, 2014 8:55 PM

Nov 2011
No, if I'm already watching it than I'll stay for the whole ride.
However, if someone spoils an anime that I've been planning to watch, chances are I might watch a few episodes to how the events transpire and skim the parts where I got spoiled.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Mar 3, 2014 9:01 PM
Dec 2013
i didnt drop but was furious instead
Naruto- i was a anime only viewer until i ran into spoilers such as
Mar 3, 2014 9:06 PM

Feb 2013
No, if it is well executed, I may see it coming, but it should still be a satisfying experience if it's a good anime.

Hell, I only saw the sixth sense in the past couple of years and I was still affected by the ending because I was engrossed in the movie.
Mar 3, 2014 11:05 PM

Dec 2012
Nope. I already knew of the most major single death in Clannad, Gurren Lagann, Code Geass and probably several others but it didn't really matter to me. It may have lessened the emotional merit of the death scenes but it didn't derail me from finishing the show since the experience of watching is still great even if you know of a vague idea of what will happen.
Mar 3, 2014 11:14 PM

Apr 2013
No, I would not drop an anime because it has been spoiled for me. I have put off watching Death Note though because I know how it ends due to a dick not using spoiler tags. I will watch it eventually.
Mar 3, 2014 11:23 PM

Sep 2013
I almost dropped Clannad After Story too because of a stupid spoiler and it was one of the most important happenings in the series. But I decided to continue anyway.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Mar 3, 2014 11:30 PM

Jul 2013
Nope. I guess i'm pretty lucky because i haven't really even encountered all that much big spoilers for movies, games or anything.

It suck's of course if a show/game/book revolves around mystery and someone take's the fun of figuring it out for you but even if that happens those shows/games/books are still worth going through.

Just yesterday i accidentally ended up on thread of episode discussion for LOGH episode 82 instead 22 and let's just say that there was one huge ass spoiler that i wouldn't have wanted to know but discovering it hasn't really harmed the experience of watching the show in any way.

Spoilers still suck though.
Mar 4, 2014 12:19 AM

Jul 2013
tsudecimo said:

I dropped HxH (2011) and picked up the manga. I thought since I knew major spoilers, might as well read the manga and not suffer through the slow pace.

"slow pace" they adapt 3 manga chapters per episodes i don't think any other long running shonen has ever done that

OT: i wont drop shows cause of spoilers but most of the time i wont start one because of spoilers
Mar 4, 2014 12:30 AM

Dec 2012
StefanHere said:
tsudecimo said:

"slow pace" they adapt 3 manga chapters per episodes i don't think any other long running shonen has ever done that

No, I think they adapt in the range of 1 and a half and 2 chapter and half. I believe Naruto anime adapts up to 4 chapters sometimes, aside from fillers and padding episodes, Naruto has the fastest pace among long runners.

The slow pace is due to the content, since Madhouse adapts the narration which takes a lot of time, thus slowing down the pace.
Mar 4, 2014 12:40 AM

Apr 2013
I more or less dropped Monster because someone spoiled the ending for me, but to be honest I wasn't even enjoying it that much so that's probably the real reason for dropping it.
geraltMar 4, 2014 12:51 AM
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Mar 4, 2014 12:49 AM

Dec 2013
I tend to spoil myself all the time so if I did this I would probably drop half of everything I watch...hehehe.
Mar 4, 2014 1:01 AM

Jan 2014
I see a lot of people got spoiled so bad on Clannad After Story :D

Me too.. but I won't drop it.
Mar 4, 2014 1:10 AM

Jun 2012
I haven't dropped an anime because of a spoiler, but I've put one on hold for a long time because of it. Code Geass was the victim of this horrible spoiler which Facebook was kinda enough to provide.
Mar 4, 2014 1:17 AM

Dec 2012
tsudecimo said:
StefanHere said:
tsudecimo said:

No, I think they adapt in the range of 1 and a half and 2 chapter and half. I believe Naruto anime adapts up to 4 chapters sometimes, aside from fillers and padding episodes, Naruto has the fastest pace among long runners.

The slow pace is due to the content, since Madhouse adapts the narration which takes a lot of time, thus slowing down the pace.

Naruto's pacing in terms of chapter to episode ratio is average at best. Naruto in total has 1.6 chapters=1 episode ratio which is better than something like One Piece which is at 1.3 chapters=1 episodes but no where close to some other long running shonen. Fairy Tail has a ratio of about 2.1 chapters=1 episode and ironically enough HunterxHunter has one of the highest being around 2.4 chapters=1 episode which is almost as high as Bleach when it was airing.

Method for calculating this is very simple: take the current number of episodes in the series and subtract all filler episodes so you get pure number of canon episodes. Then work out what chapter in the manga the anime has gotten up to and divide the chapter number by the number of canon episodes then bam! you have your ratio.

Now of course the adaptation ratio will not necessarily correlate completely with how people feel about the pacing but this is just some food for thought.
Mar 4, 2014 1:19 AM

Feb 2014
Having something spoiled for me is one of my biggest annoyances. I usually watch it anyway because it's so difficult for me not to finish something. Everyone is different though, it's a matter if you can look past it or not.

Based off your reasons for stop watching Death Note
Those are just my thoughts! I think it is an amazingly tense detective story with an interesting twist on reality. So if you don't end up watching it now, please do so in the future :3
Mar 4, 2014 1:27 AM

Dec 2012
Nicobade said:

Naruto's pacing in terms of chapter to episode ratio is average at best. Naruto in total has 1.6 chapters=1 episode ratio which is better than something like One Piece which is at 1.3 chapters=1 episodes but no where close to some other long running shonen. Fairy Tail has a ratio of about 2.1 chapters=1 episode and ironically enough HunterxHunter has one of the highest being around 2.4 chapters=1 episode which is almost as high as Bleach when it was airing.

I said aside from fillers and padding. HxH has the highest ratio because it's a remake, it has no padding. Naruto in particular has a lot of padding, more so than Bleach even though they are adapted by the same studio, or at least that's what I remember and from me currently re-watching Bleach.

Well it not like I was stating Naruto having the best pacing as a fact. It's what I felt. When there was no padding, it felt the fastest.
Mar 4, 2014 1:34 AM

Dec 2012
tsudecimo said:
Nicobade said:

I said aside from fillers and padding. HxH has the highest ratio because it's a remake, it has no padding. Naruto in particular has a lot of padding, more so than Bleach even though they are adapted by the same studio, or at least that's what I remember and from me currently re-watching Bleach.

Well it not like I was stating Naruto having the best pacing as a fact. It's what I felt. When there was no padding, it felt the fastest.

What categorizes as padding?
Mar 4, 2014 1:34 AM

Mar 2010
Yes. I dropped some anime because of spoilers. If I strongly dislike a particular character(s) in the show I go looking for ending spoilers and if I find out that I would have to suffer through that character(s) and still get an unsatisfying ending I just drop the show.

Heck, I would have dropped Shuffle at episode 3 if I didn't read the ending spoilers
"Then again, if she's not my sibling, there's no bling, either" - Ararararagi Koyomi
Mar 4, 2014 1:37 AM

Jul 2013
tsudecimo said:
StefanHere said:
tsudecimo said:

my bad i thought we were up to chapter 300+ we are only 270 or something
Mar 4, 2014 1:45 AM

Dec 2012
Nicobade said:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Padding

Stuff like using old flashbacks that weren't in the adapted chapter (which Naruto Shippuden loves to use). Basically anything that in a canon episode but stalls the episode or added scenes that weren't in the manga.

StefanHere said:

The anime is at chapter 281. The next episode will probably be slow as hell aside from the first 5 minutes or so.
Mar 4, 2014 2:02 AM

Dec 2012
tsudecimo said:
Nicobade said:

Stuff like using old flashbacks that weren't in the adapted chapter (which Naruto Shippuden loves to use). Basically anything that in a canon episode but stalls the episode or added scenes that weren't in the manga.

StefanHere said:

The anime is at chapter 281. The next episode will probably be slow as hell aside from the first 5 minutes or so.

Well you can't really ignore padding though if it is within episodes and thus not really skippable the way one can ignore filler episodes or entire arcs. Saying that the series is fast paced without padding is just saying that part of episodes are fast paced. A person can't really experience the anime without padding unless somehow they found all the episodes that have edited it all out or they decide very quickly that a scene is padding and then somehow figure where exactly to skip to in the episode. Thus because it is very difficult to do this I am pretty sure that most people just watch the episode normally and the padding would have to be taken into account affect their perception of the pacing.
Mar 4, 2014 2:03 AM

Mar 2009
No, if anything reading a spoiler would make me more interested.
I like spoilers because I know I can expect something good (or not) out of the series.
Or if it's something I'd dislike (botched ending).
Mar 4, 2014 2:09 AM

Dec 2012
Nicobade said:
tsudecimo said:
Nicobade said:

StefanHere said:

Well you can't really ignore padding though if it is within episodes and thus not really skippable the way one can ignore filler episodes or entire arcs. Saying that the series is fast paced without padding is just saying that part of episodes are fast paced. A person can't really experience the anime without padding unless somehow they found all the episodes that have edited it all out or they decide very quickly that a scene is padding and then somehow figure where exactly to skip to in the episode. Thus because it is very difficult to do this I am pretty sure that most people just watch the episode normally and the padding would have to be taken into account affect their perception of the pacing.

Yeah I guess so. Saying it's has the fastest pace aside from padding is irrelevant. I shouldn't have made the comparison to Naruto.
Mar 4, 2014 2:11 AM

Aug 2011
No.
Smiles and laughter are always good, but never forget your Poker Face.~
Mar 4, 2014 2:21 AM

Nov 2012
Nicobade said:
tsudecimo said:
Nicobade said:

Stuff like this -_-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyAaKase7Us
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Do you consider yourself a honorary Japanese?

Dragevard - 4 hours ago

11 by Zarutaku »»
4 minutes ago

» How often is you waifu/husbando cosplayed ?

tchitchouan - Yesterday

12 by miodddaaa »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you enjoy seeing anime characters suffer?

Ejrodiew - 2 hours ago

8 by WaterMage »»
9 minutes ago

» Which childhood abilities did you deem unimpressive but now get interested in?

SgtBateMan - 3 hours ago

3 by Zarutaku »»
12 minutes ago

» Why won't you finish that anime you liked but left unfinished?

perseii - Oct 18

34 by LeruLeru »»
52 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.