Forum Settings
Forums

Removal of comfort woman statue from CA Park

New
Jan 2, 2014 11:30 AM

Dec 2009
The comfort woman statue
News: http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-comfort-women-20131219,0,2503100.story

Glendale erected the roughly $30,000 statue, which was paid for by Korean groups, in July, and a wave of controversy followed. City officials received thousands of letters from Japanese nationals and Japanese Americans opposing the statue.

Petition to remove:
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/remove-offensive-state-glendale-ca-public-park/3zLr8dZh

Currently over 100k signed in the petition.

Japan: it hurts Japan's honor, many may have been prostitute rather than sex slaves, they had salaries.

Korea: there were real personal accounts of prev. comfort woman, example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Hak-sun

While the contrast of view is huge between Japan and Korea,
what's the view from other countries?

1. the history of comfort women and its accountability?
2. the need to place such a kind of statue to honor comfort women in another country?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jan 2, 2014 11:39 AM

Nov 2008
Japan needs to accept the fact that their country committed these atrocities in the past, it seems like everyone else but them have fully accepted or are close to fully accepting what they did in WWII. It's hard but it needs to be done so they can have a chance to move on.

Jan 2, 2014 12:51 PM
Mar 2013
Koreans shouldn't be trying to cause shitstorms
Jan 2, 2014 1:11 PM

Mar 2012
Hoppy said:
Japan needs to accept the fact that their country committed these atrocities in the past, it seems like everyone else but them have fully accepted or are close to fully accepting what they did in WWII. It's hard but it needs to be done so they can have a chance to move on.

Germany too, but a lot of other people still can't seem to let the past go.

On Topic, I do think of it as bad taste to have in America a monument honoring Korean/Chinese sex slave in Japan, instead of in a country that was involved on that specific issue.
Jan 2, 2014 9:16 PM

Dec 2012
JD2411 said:
Koreans shouldn't be trying to cause shitstorms

especially with how North Korea acted recently
my avatar is the bus driver from Rosario + Vampire
Jan 3, 2014 5:29 AM

Jan 2013
Considering the US and Japan both are covering up events at Fukushima and its own west coast I'm not surprised.
Jan 3, 2014 6:35 AM
May 2009
Korea should just start a petition to cancel out the japanese petition.
Jan 3, 2014 9:26 AM

Sep 2013
yazio said:

lol you do know that Germany has a national guilt complex over the holocaust that gets reinforced through the media constantly, do you? In fact voicing any sort of opinion on the events of WW2 that does not explicitly condemn the nazis and the holocaust is banned in Germany.

@topic

How about the US erects a statue for the victims of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the Vietnam war or the thousands of nameless people that died by US drone strikes in the last 10 years? Before erecting a statue condemning another nation's war crimes they should reflect on their own history first.
Proud founder of the 20+ virgins club.

Please visit my manga blog for manga updates and more!

Mup da doo didda po mo muhfuggen bix nood

^ Need someone who can translate this. Pm me pls.
Jan 3, 2014 9:30 AM

Mar 2012
Shiratori99 said:
yazio said:

lol you do know that Germany has a national guilt complex over the holocaust that gets reinforced through the media constantly, do you? In fact voicing any sort of opinion on the events of WW2 that does not explicitly condemn the nazis and the holocaust is banned in Germany.

Exactly my point. Instead of accepting it and moving on, they are on a Nazi-centric state where Wolfenstein 3D was banned because of it's reference to Nazis (in spite of them being the enemies) and a lot of censorship is done on violence.
Jan 3, 2014 10:03 AM

Sep 2013
yazio said:
Shiratori99 said:
yazio said:

Exactly my point. Instead of accepting it and moving on, they are on a Nazi-centric state where Wolfenstein 3D was banned because of it's reference to Nazis (in spite of them being the enemies) and a lot of censorship is done on violence.

Well yeah. There is a fine line between denial (Japan) and drowning in guilt (Germany). Neither is a good stance.
Proud founder of the 20+ virgins club.

Please visit my manga blog for manga updates and more!

Mup da doo didda po mo muhfuggen bix nood

^ Need someone who can translate this. Pm me pls.
Jan 3, 2014 10:59 AM

Aug 2008
History.

Quite the touchy subject, isn't it?
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Jan 3, 2014 11:13 AM

Dec 2013
The issue of comfort women is not so black and white. Much of this prostitution was a combination of business, government sanctioned, or military establishments. Not everyone was "forced" to become comfort women. There are instances of Koreans running these businesses. Hell, the Korean government even established a government run prostitution ring for US serviceman after the war. In the Korean War, the Korean military also setup their own comfort women system. Not excusing what the Japanese did because there are certainly cases where women were recruited against their will, but the Koreans did the very same thing to their own people. They are just being chauvinistic assholes if you ask me.

Combating against hoax MAL accounts and intentional down voting of objectively great anime. Pls join
Jan 3, 2014 1:49 PM

Aug 2010
I have never even heard of that statue.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Jan 4, 2014 6:10 PM

Aug 2008
FishTaco said:
The issue of comfort women is not so black and white. Much of this prostitution was a combination of business, government sanctioned, or military establishments. Not everyone was "forced" to become comfort women. There are instances of Koreans running these businesses. Hell, the Korean government even established a government run prostitution ring for US serviceman after the war. In the Korean War, the Korean military also setup their own comfort women system. Not excusing what the Japanese did because there are certainly cases where women were recruited against their will, but the Koreans did the very same thing to their own people. They are just being chauvinistic assholes if you ask me.

Well said.

Any aggression from either side in the Korea-Japan disputes at this point just seems in poor taste. The disagreements they beckon over now, no matter their significance in the past, are becoming little more than childish pranks and senseless outlets for anger; increasingly the belligerents are second generations bred into hatred and are intentionally drawn into worsening the situation while not being culturally allowed to realize what they are doing (or to act differently).
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.
Jan 4, 2014 9:21 PM

Jun 2012
Saw it on news the other day.
yazio said:

On Topic, I do think of it as bad taste to have in America a monument honoring Korean/Chinese sex slave in Japan, instead of in a country that was involved on that specific issue.

+1. Agree.

"No matter how far you travel, you can never get away from yourself."
-- Murakami Haruki
Jan 4, 2014 9:55 PM

Jun 2007
Hoppy said:
Japan needs to accept the fact that their country committed these atrocities in the past

Given they still keep many of their museums and history textbooks stating they did absolutely nothing wrong and the evil american monster attacked them for no reason at all out of nowhere, this won't be happening anytime soon.

I do think this is a stupid fucking statue though and honoring sex slaves at all - let alone those that have nothing to do with America, is a bit silly. As someone already stated better.
Jan 7, 2014 9:31 AM
Apr 2013
TallonKarrde23 said:
Hoppy said:
Japan needs to accept the fact that their country committed these atrocities in the past

Given they still keep many of their museums and history textbooks stating they did absolutely nothing wrong and the evil american monster attacked them for no reason at all out of nowhere, this won't be happening anytime soon.

I do think this is a stupid fucking statue though and honoring sex slaves at all - let alone those that have nothing to do with America, is a bit silly. As someone already stated better.

What's wrong with acknowledging comfort women by having a statue?

It certainly shouldn't be in America, but still.
Jan 10, 2014 5:36 PM

Nov 2013
considering the political relationship between South Korea and America, i can understand why there'd be a statue, especially since the government didn't even pay for it, South Koreans payed the full cost
I think Japan should allow it. History books will always be racially biased, but they need to acknowledge the things that practically every country in the world is calling fact. South Korean and Chinese women were forced to be comfort women and there is no denying that. Instead of making it seem like a lie, and thus making it a big issue even today, the Japanese government should just apologize like the UK did. Then it'd be easier for South Korea/China to move past it.

and for those who a politically ignorant: South Korea is a separate country from North Korea, they have different governments. They were originally one country (during WWII), but aren't today.
pandatiger16Jan 10, 2014 5:39 PM
Jan 10, 2014 11:31 PM
Jan 2014
I agree. Japan has made a huge problem to the world. They have to consider their responsibility after they have done on Comfort Women.
Jan 13, 2014 7:31 PM

Sep 2013
The japanese are fucking in-denial misogynists, what do you expect? They practically cover up almost any sort of controversy that goes against their culture's tradition(s).
peeyaj said:
Fueille is a deconstruction of a decent human being.
Jan 13, 2014 7:40 PM

Dec 2010
I'm really getting tired of koreans making a huge shitstorm out of this

However, both koreans and japanese fuck around with their textbooks to make themselves look better. This mess needs to be settled.
Jan 14, 2014 1:00 PM

Mar 2008
God damn it Korea wtf are you doing. Just do your own shit and stop trolling, you have enough to worry about like North Korea. This is why we will never get along: because older generations are still buttfrustrated and must continue the legacy of hatred so that the newer generations that had nothing to do with it will continue to hate each other mindlessly.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.