Forum Settings
Forums

Is it hard to balance college and watch anime?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 20, 2012 10:15 AM

Apr 2012
AnnoKano said:
Annoiato said:
]What AnnoKano is saying is hilariously stupid because not only is he implying that medicine is an undergraduate study (I'm going to assume OP's not in a combined program),

Well Annoiato, I'm going to stop you right there and say that it very much depends on the country you live in. I am guessing you are from either the United States or Canada, as I don't think that they require you to do medicine as an undergrad in order to become a Doctor. That is not the case in my country, where you cannot become a doctor without an Undergraduate degree in medicine. And as far as I know, this is the case for most European countries as well, and perhaps even the rest of the world. So far from being an idiot, it seems I know a great deal more about what I am talking about than you do.

Actually, you're just less presumptuous than me. Congratulations, you're assuming OP doesn't live in America or Canada, in a site that gets the majority of its traffic from people who live in America and Canada. But hey, I'm going to assume he's from Germany or something, JUST TO BE SAFE. And if that's the case, and if you do know more about what you're talking about way more than me obviously, then you should know medical programs are far less rigorous in systems that employ medicine as an "undergraduate" study. There's a reason doctors are considered prestigious in America, while they're just seen as a mid-tier career choice in Germany. Germany's medicine program is less rigorous, and you have way more time to study it. Also doctors are needed in Germany, so I'm sure our lovely German OP will have time to watch anime, considering studying medicine is a much easier task is Germany.

And don't get me started on the UK. That's just adorable. OP will have plenty of time to watch his anime.

Annoiato said:
he's also implying medicine is the only field where you have to sacrifice so much of your time that you can't do other things. He's really just going by what he hears about school, which is "MEDICINE IS RLY RLY TOUGH."

And even the idea that you don't have time is false. I have 3 friends in medical school. None of them fit into the sleep-deprived "med-school zombie" stereotype. It's called time management.

In the end, it really depends on what you mean by watching anime (i.e. watching two episodes a day or arduously following twenty shows), and how ambitious your plans in college are (both socially and academically).

Actually I'm doing Engineering myself and that's often considered one of the hardest degrees that you can do- and I still manage to find the time for anime. Certainly I find the work load to be tough, but it is not all-consuming. Perhaps students of medicine would feel the same way about their subject, but I certainly wouldn't think there are other students doing other subjects who would feel that they could not find any time for relaxation.

Of course there are also other factors, such as how dedicated you are to your studies and how suited you are to academic studies. Not to mention the difficulty of your own specific course. Ultimately assessing the amount of work the OP is going to have to put in is impossible without knowing more of these details. However, I can make a very sweeping generalisation- and say that, unless they are doing medicine, they will be able to mix their anime with education satisfactorily.

Oh okay, so you're just saying OP is not awesome as you, and will therefore not find time to watch anime studying something rigorous.

Sweeping generalization is right. In fact I'm going to make a sweeping generalization that you actually don't know much about medicine, contrary to your oh-so-holy engineering degree (which, you know, has varying degrees of difficulty depending on what field this "engineering" is in).
AnnoiatoAug 20, 2012 10:36 AM
Aug 20, 2012 10:20 AM

Apr 2008
I work full time and go to school but still have time. Come home and watch a couple of episodes sometimes. Sure I can't watch it as much as I would like to but I can still watch it....
Aug 21, 2012 3:25 PM

Aug 2012
NicoleB said:
Depends how many college parties you go too.

14 a week and still find time to watch 20 eps
Aug 26, 2012 7:12 AM
Aug 2012
it isn't that hard. download the ones you want and save it. you can always watch them later.
Aug 26, 2012 7:21 AM

Jun 2012
You have a shitload of free time in college, its especially easy your freshman year.
Aug 26, 2012 7:40 AM

Jun 2010
Shuhan said:
You have a shitload of free time in college, its especially easy your freshman year.

You must be in liberal arts.
Aug 26, 2012 7:42 AM

Jun 2010
Wow, all these people giving direct answers.

The truth is it depends. It depends on your program, your school, your social life, your sleeping habits, etc. But in my opinion, it shouldn't be too difficult to sneak in at least 2-3 episodes a day. Just control yourself and remember that studying/homework/lectures ALWAYS take priority over anime.
Aug 26, 2012 8:05 AM

Jun 2012
Hitchens said:
Shuhan said:

You must be in liberal arts.

My university is known for its liberal arts but im studying to become an accountant.
Aug 26, 2012 8:07 AM

Jun 2011
Shuhan said:
My university is known for its liberal arts but im studying to become an accountant.

My engineering professor always makes fun of accountants even though his wife and brother are accountants.
Aug 26, 2012 8:21 AM

Jun 2012
RoCSC-006C1BST said:
Shuhan said:

My engineering professor always makes fun of accountants even though his wife and brother are accountants.

Lol why would he do that.

We are all not emotionless blobs like people make us out to be :P
Aug 26, 2012 8:26 AM

Aug 2009
I'm not sure about the rest of the folks, but when you're a medical student, say bye bye to everything.
Aug 26, 2012 8:27 AM

May 2010
if you go for science department you might not have that much free time.
at least i forgot about anime 3 weeks before each test period for the load of homework and deadlines.
Aug 26, 2012 8:40 AM

Jun 2011
Shuhan said:

He thinks people who do things like accountancy and psychology, well pretty much all of the business and most of the arts students aren't very smart. To be honest, I had a quick glance at some of the accounting and psychology material and there's no way that's more difficult than most of the sciences, especially thermodynamics. Crap how I hate thermodynamics.
Aug 26, 2012 8:53 AM

Jun 2012
RoCSC-006C1BST said:
Shuhan said:

He thinks people who do things like accountancy and psychology, well pretty much all of the business and most of the arts students aren't very smart. To be honest, I had a quick glance at some of the accounting and psychology material and there's no way that's more difficult than most of the sciences, especially thermodynamics. Crap how I hate thermodynamics.

Business in general is very easy to almost everyone, i guess thats why he would think that haha. Accounting to most is very easy but tedious work. All we really need is basic knowledge in math.
Aug 26, 2012 9:03 AM

Jul 2008
As a graphic design student, I found I had a lot less time than I thought I would have. Part of the reason was, with art as opposed to most other areas, you can never arrive at a "right" answer. So, I would get my work out of the way early, and then I'd think I have all this free time, but then I would come up with another solution to the design problem, or decide I want to improve upon what I have and I would end up doing it again. That got tedious after a while, so instead I spent more time on ideation so I didn't end up making the finished project multiple times, but even then, it takes about as much time as you are willing to let yourself put into it. I spent more time doing homework on averae than my engineering or computer science friends.

I hardly watched any anime over my first year because I was either doing art or spending time with my friends. I didn't have a lot of time to myself. I expect that to change this year, though, as I'm living in an apartment instead of a dorm, so there isn't always social pressure to spend time with people.
Aug 26, 2012 3:38 PM
Mar 2012
Shuhan said:
RoCSC-006C1BST said:
Shuhan said:

Business in general is very easy to almost everyone, i guess thats why he would think that haha. Accounting to most is very easy but tedious work. All we really need is basic knowledge in math.

Yeah, that is about it, you also need to be realistic and be able to sit in front a computer for half a day, but it is all about the knowledge, as long as you get the basics done, you are pretty much done.
Aug 26, 2012 4:24 PM
Jul 2012
I only started watching anime seriously like a month ago, and I stopped going to college in May, so If I was watching anime while I was in college I would have a lot of time, because I'm fucking stupid and I can't concentrate on studying for a long time.
Aug 26, 2012 5:03 PM

Jan 2012
I started college last year and I feel you should be able to have time. I'll admit there will be a lot of work and there will also be a lot of responsibility. But its also important to take a break from all those work once in a while. It also depends on what major since I heard majors such as pre-med or engineering will require a lot of studying.
Aug 26, 2012 5:57 PM

Aug 2012
k0k0 said:
I'm not sure about the rest of the folks, but when you're a medical student, say bye bye to everything.

I hope not lol. First day of Nursing tommorow. Argh >.<
Aug 26, 2012 6:13 PM

May 2012
in college, you're gonna have a LOT of free time, depends on your schedule though. so it all boils down to managing your time wisely (which I don't do) :)

sometimes professors assign unrealistic deadlines and a ton of homeworks. and don't count out your exams too.. i almost forgot your college hangouts too. XD

but in between all of that, I DO manage to watch anime. just be prepared to sacrifice your sleep though
Aug 26, 2012 6:20 PM

Sep 2008
I probably watched more anime whilst in college then out of college. At least 60% of my list had been watched during my uni days....and I still had room to spare for Thursday/Friday night uni bar tabs :)
Aug 26, 2012 6:38 PM

Nov 2009
Not at all, you'd think college would take up a lot of your time but it really doesn't. I'm in Uni and I always have free time, but then again I spend most of it out with friends.. but even so I still find time to watch an episode or two.
Aug 26, 2012 8:13 PM

Sep 2009
Annoiato said:

Actually, you're just less presumptuous than me. Congratulations, you're assuming OP doesn't live in America or Canada, in a site that gets the majority of its traffic from people who live in America and Canada.

There are plenty of Europeans here, it is hardly as though their presence is negligible.

Annoiato said:
But hey, I'm going to assume he's from Germany or something, JUST TO BE SAFE. And if that's the case, and if you do know more about what you're talking about way more than me obviously, then you should know medical programs are far less rigorous in systems that employ medicine as an "undergraduate" study.

Medicine is the most prestigious degree in this country, that is all I can say for sure. My understanding is that in continental Europe, Engineering is held in higher regard, but I don't think there are any countries out there where Medicine is seen as just another degree course.

Annoiato said:
There's a reason doctors are considered prestigious in America, while they're just seen as a mid-tier career choice in Germany. Germany's medicine program is less rigorous, and you have way more time to study it.

Again I would only comment on my own country, and here it is considered much more prestigious than my degree.

Annoiato said:
Also doctors are needed in Germany, so I'm sure our lovely German OP will have time to watch anime, considering studying medicine is a much easier task is Germany.

If you say so...

Annoiato said:
And don't get me started on the UK. That's just adorable. OP will have plenty of time to watch his anime.

From what I can gather from those who do medicine here, it is a very challenging degree indeed. It is hard to know without having done it myself, but I would imagine it is at least as difficult as my subject, and most likely harder... in which case, it is not easy by any means.

Annoiato said:
he's also implying medicine is the only field where you have to sacrifice so much of your time that you can't do other things. He's really just going by what he hears about school, which is "MEDICINE IS RLY RLY TOUGH."

And even the idea that you don't have time is false. I have 3 friends in medical school. None of them fit into the sleep-deprived "med-school zombie" stereotype. It's called time management.

In the end, it really depends on what you mean by watching anime (i.e. watching two episodes a day or arduously following twenty shows), and how ambitious your plans in college are (both socially and academically).

Actually I'm doing Engineering myself and that's often considered one of the hardest degrees that you can do- and I still manage to find the time for anime. Certainly I find the work load to be tough, but it is not all-consuming. Perhaps students of medicine would feel the same way about their subject, but I certainly wouldn't think there are other students doing other subjects who would feel that they could not find any time for relaxation.

Of course there are also other factors, such as how dedicated you are to your studies and how suited you are to academic studies. Not to mention the difficulty of your own specific course. Ultimately assessing the amount of work the OP is going to have to put in is impossible without knowing more of these details. However, I can make a very sweeping generalisation- and say that, unless they are doing medicine, they will be able to mix their anime with education satisfactorily.

Oh okay, so you're just saying OP is not awesome as you, and will therefore not find time to watch anime studying something rigorous.

That is not even close to what I said. I said that provided they aren't doing medicine, then I am confident that they will have the time to do both.

Annioto said:
iSweeping generalization is right.

And what else do you propose I do, with so little information from the OP?

Annoiato said:
In fact I'm going to make a sweeping generalization that you actually don't know much about medicine,

I'm sorry but you were the person who said that I was an idiot for claiming that you do medicine at the undergraduate level and that it was a postgrad... I'm sorry but if you are going to call someone an idiot then expect them to treat you with respect, especially when they have just corrected you about the very thing you called them an idiot for saying... I am sorry, but I am totally unsympathetic.

Annoiato said:
contrary to your oh-so-holy engineering degree

Having read through the comments you've directed at me in this thread, I'm afraid an accusation that I'm pompous just doesn't hold any weight.

Annoiato said:
(which, you know, has varying degrees of difficulty depending on what field this "engineering" is in).

Thank you for that important clarification. Contrary to what you might expect, I was unaware that there were different branches of Engineering, or the notion that there could be varying levels of difficulty among them. I was under the impression that because all were listed under a single category of 'Engineering' that they would all be identical in terms of subject matter.

No, but seriously Annoiato, it sounds like you didn't quite manage to get the grades to get into Engineering. I'm very sorry to hear that man. Perhaps if you had worked a bit harder, and maybe hadn't wasted so much time watching anime... oh well, it's a bit too late for that now, right?
Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

Aug 27, 2012 1:09 AM

Aug 2012
I believe if you like something very much no matter how busy you are you will make time to do it.
Aug 30, 2012 7:28 AM
Feb 2012
I study Games Development (as in video games) and i always have time. I even watch Anime during lunch break on my PSP.
Aug 30, 2012 8:58 AM

May 2009
Shuhan said:

Accounting might be easy, but saying that business in general is easy to almost everyone is just not true. Some business programs (such as quant finance and financial engineering) can be rather challenging.

On topic :

It can be hard to balance college and anime if you watch a lot of shows. When I started college, I had a lot of free time to because I didn't study much at home. But when I started my 3rd year, I had more classes, the subjects started getting more difficult and I had tons of long field projects to work on, so I had a lot of work to do both at home and outside (mostly in companies) and little time left to watch anime, though I still managed to watch one or two episodes a week.

Strangely, I've been on a break for almost three months and I haven't been watching much anime, I can't seem to be able to just sit and watch anime for hours anymore even when I have the time.
Aug 30, 2012 9:46 AM

Jul 2010
Sukha said:
I don't live in Germany, but it's hard to believe that it's a "mid-tier career", I mean it's still 6 years of 40 hours of study per week + 4 years of the hell that the specialization is

I'm german and I don't know anyone who would say Med is mid-tier, because in Med there is money. you make the money, you are top tier. that's pretty much it round here. you don't have to be useful or strict legal, as long as you got the money.

in fact, for many people studying Medicine is like the best thing ever. if momma knows her child is gonna be a doctor, she'll brag about it you bet.
Aug 31, 2012 3:33 PM

Aug 2012
I go to college and in my case it's pretty hard to balance them I don't have enough time to watch anime like when I was in school and well I watch anime when I got some free time from college and when basically I go on vacations ...

Aug 31, 2012 5:56 PM

Feb 2010
It depends entirely on how often you go to classes and how many classes you have. Difficulty of courses not withstanding.
Aug 31, 2012 7:41 PM

Dec 2011
I'd say if you don't need anything other than a degree to get a job after college, then you'd have plenty of time for most majors. If you actually want to have a successful career down the road, internships and jobs showing you have actually worked a day in your life might be necessary. However, I doubt any major requires 24/7 studying in the first few years besides exam weeks. So unless you're trying to watch +2hours of anime each day, you should be fine.
Sep 1, 2012 4:53 AM

May 2012
It's hard. I usually marathon on anime during my college break only.
Sep 1, 2012 5:08 AM
Jun 2012
NicoleB said:
Depends how many college parties you go too.

It's safe to assume he won't be going to any parties.

I don't see how one would have trouble "balancing" anything. Watching anime is no different than watching any other tv show. If one doesn't have time for leisure activites, one doesn't have time for leisure activities. Don't really see what anime has to do with anything.
Sep 6, 2012 12:25 AM

Sep 2012
Depends on how you prioritize, you may have to make sacrifices here or there depending on a number of factors, e.g. study workload, social stuff?, work($). I haven't really found it a problem but then again iv'e only recently just got into anime.
Sep 6, 2012 6:31 AM
Jan 2009
I only think it'd be difficult if you make it hard to balance. If you clearly have work to do, it would be best to go do that instead of watching anime. Once you finish, that's when you can watch or when you're taking breaks while you do what needs to be done.
Sep 6, 2012 10:56 AM

May 2012
Watching a few episodes everyday should be fine :D (Except during exams D:)
Sep 6, 2012 2:03 PM

Jul 2009
nope due to the fact my college schedule is so free i can watch anime and do a whole lot more ^^
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 7, 2012 11:30 AM
Nov 2011
not that hard. but as deadlines of your assignment came closer, you must divide time well then. until then, you have a lot of free week to watch.
Jan 10, 2014 12:37 PM
Oct 2010
I treat anime or manga as a prize. Study for an hour watch an episode or read a few chapters. Unless there's an exam coming up, in which case its two hours of study to an episode.

(You always have to take a break and unwind, stress will make all that studying useless).
Oct 16, 2014 8:21 PM

Apr 2014
This thread is old but
Yes, it is, especially if you have advanced classes or more than a couple classes.
It'll cut your anime/free time in half
OP should know this by now.
Oct 19, 2014 5:27 PM

Jul 2014
nope, I'm doing it now!

well in my case, I'm taking 2 night classes and 2 online classes. the most I do is I marathon a season a day if time permits.
Jan 24, 2015 12:52 AM
Jul 2010
Is there any pre med biology major students? Because I'm a junior in high school, and i want to major in that, but i'm not so sure how much free time they have.
Jan 24, 2015 9:25 AM

Oct 2014
yeah ._.
Jan 24, 2015 9:27 AM

Jan 2015
VongolaXEspada said:
Is there any pre med biology major students? Because I'm a junior in high school, and i want to major in that, but i'm not so sure how much free time they have.

It's hard work and requires a lot of studying but there's a fair amount of free time in between. It's all about balance and not procrastinating, time management isn't so bad if you stay on task
Jan 24, 2015 8:40 PM
Jul 2010
Sacredhearts said:
VongolaXEspada said:

It's hard work and requires a lot of studying but there's a fair amount of free time in between. It's all about balance and not procrastinating, time management isn't so bad if you stay on task

Very true in regards to anything, are you a pre med student? If so whats your major?
Jan 24, 2015 8:47 PM
Jun 2014
Well, I managed to juggle full time uni, volunteer work and a job and have spare time to watch anime. Managing your time properly and being extremely organized is key.
Jan 26, 2015 6:03 AM
Jul 2010
Honestly if you arent a pre med or engineering major, college is typically a brisk through the park.
Jan 26, 2015 7:54 AM

Oct 2014
Cresando said:
It's hard. I usually marathon on anime during my college break only.
Jan 26, 2015 8:01 AM

Nov 2014
i go to university, and i still have time to play video games, watch anime, and do other stuffs... if u're a slow learner then u might have trouble balancing school and other stuffs... other wise u're good
Aug 29, 2019 1:56 AM

May 2018
Believe me , it isnt..you will have plenty of time to waste.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Try to rizz up the user above you ( 1 2 3 )

aniyeong - May 5, 2023

102 by izuma »»
2 minutes ago

» Why did you break up with the person above you v4 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kunii - Mar 4

512 by _--UwU--_ »»
3 minutes ago

» Would you eat/drink that? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

56709 - Mar 27

611 by izuma »»
4 minutes ago

» Is the above user pee or poo?

SongOfCreation - Nov 16, 2021

37 by izuma »»
4 minutes ago

» The Person's Avatar Above is Hurting Your Friend!

iAmTheCheese - Apr 11, 2015

32 by izuma »»
5 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.