Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Feb 10, 2013 11:25 AM

Jan 2012
JennyEsquire said:
They're fucking great. But if you use them too much, they'll lose their effectiveness.

Exactly.
They should be used for emphasis only where necessary. (e.g. While flipping off a bad driver)
Adding them to normal conversation makes them lose their effectiveness and just makes you sound trashy.
Feb 10, 2013 11:31 AM

Jul 2011
poop fuck penis legs
Feb 10, 2013 11:32 AM

Dec 2011
They seem to unconsciously fly out of my mouth at an alarming rate, so people either get used to the way I speak or they simply fuck off and leave me alone.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 10, 2013 11:42 AM

Mar 2012
They're strong words and should be used as such. If you went around calling everything you like "fucking awesome" then it would just come to mean "good". They're also informal words, so I don't think they have a place in professional environments. With those things in mind, I like them.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Feb 10, 2013 11:54 AM
Jan 2013
It would depend on the nationality as well as other factors. For instance, Swedes rarely utter swearing words, unlike Americans. (Their language Swedish itself doesn't have so many swearing words, compared to English.) The Japanese also don't swear often. (You can tell it through their anime and movies.) In contrast, Americans often swear. Even Mr. President does. "There's Adam Clymer, major league asshole from the New York Times."
Feb 10, 2013 11:57 AM

Aug 2008
I have nothing against swearing, and going even further I think that there shouldn't be any censoring of swear words in TV and such at all, though I barely swear at all myself. It annoys me when people say other words that are similar to a swear word in place of swearing (unless they are a little bit more creative about it).

That being said I do think that a lot of people swear too much. If you use so called "swear words" all the time, they lose there meaning and become no different than their more polite counter parts.
私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです
Feb 10, 2013 1:27 PM

Nov 2012
JeremyA said:
Salt and pepper, salt and pepper. A dash here and there can be great, but it doesn't go well with everything.

well said.With friends and familiars or people your age its fine, but when your with elders and respective company its always best to be polite and hold your tongue
sydrianFeb 10, 2013 1:35 PM

“It’s fascinating. You know all these words, and they’re all English, but when you string them together into sentences, they just don’t make any sense.”
Feb 10, 2013 1:38 PM
Jun 2008
Vinter said:

It's just like when people say "the N-word". All you're doing is putting the word into someone elses head, without actually saying it yourself. It's fucking cowardly IMO.

Why don't you fuckin' say it instead and take responsibility with the shitty words you wanna say. =-)
Feb 10, 2013 1:56 PM

Mar 2012
I missed that gem from Vinter the first time.
LoneWolf said:
Feb 10, 2013 2:30 PM

Sep 2009
I believe that this says it all:

Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

Feb 10, 2013 2:51 PM

Aug 2012
They're a good way to emphasize something.

They're fucking amazing.
Feb 10, 2013 3:00 PM

Nov 2011
They can be funny if they're use at a certain place and time.
Feb 10, 2013 4:01 PM

Jun 2012
I imagine this will sound quite odd, but when I was younger hearing people swear made me feel sick to my stomach, even if it were just in a song or something.

Now, I don't really mind them. I think they can add emotion or humour to a situation if used properly. I try to use them sparingly though because you never know who might be offended by it (or if they're strange like I was, then feel ill because of it).
Feb 10, 2013 4:44 PM

Aug 2008
AnnoKano said:
I believe that this says it all:

Ah, Stephen Fry is just always amazing.
私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです
Feb 10, 2013 5:18 PM

Aug 2011
I think there's a time and place for swearing. Unfortunately, too many people don't seem to observe that.
Feb 10, 2013 5:33 PM

Dec 2012
Swearing has became my habit to the point that I swear while sleeptalking.
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

Feb 10, 2013 6:10 PM

Dec 2011
MasterTengkorak said:
They can be funny if they're use at a certain place and time.

Yea I agree to this, I mean cursing will be annoying if it is used at inappropriate times.
Feb 10, 2013 6:58 PM

Jul 2012
I get annoyed when I hear people swearing in an aggressive manner. Like how sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, I suppose I see swearing as the lowest form of aggression. I'm quite an optimistic, peaceful person, so any negative behaviour slightly irritates me anyway.
When used for comic effect, I don't mind.
Konbu is important
Feb 10, 2013 7:08 PM

Oct 2010
Excessive use is definitely a sign of immaturity, but there's nothing wrong with moderate use under fitting circumstances.
Feb 10, 2013 7:31 PM

Jun 2012
I don't give a flying fuck whether or not some dumb ass wants to fucking cuss see where I'm comin from?
but you don't even know how dank my memes are
Feb 10, 2013 7:39 PM

Feb 2005
It's like spice. Great, but overwhelming if used too much.
That being said, I use a lot of swear words as general exclamation, both positive and negative. But that's only normal.
Feb 10, 2013 7:40 PM

Feb 2011
Fuck curse words. Nobody needs to hear that shit.
Feb 10, 2013 8:27 PM

Jan 2013
Vinter said:
I get pissed off when people replace swear words with something else. Like H E double hockey sticks, heck, gosh darn it, dang, fudge.
It's just like when people say "the N-word". All you're doing is putting the word into someone elses head, without actually saying it yourself. It's fucking cowardly IMO.

How is getting bent out of shape over someone's choice to use "dang it" instead of "goddammit" any different than someone getting worked up over someone using swear words? That's like offering someone a alcoholic drink and when they turn it down with "No thanks - I don't drink alcohol", you get mad as if they had said "Ew, no - alcohol is evil!".
My point is: if they aren't telling you what and what not to say, I don't see why you should care whether someone swears or not.

Anyway - swear words have a stronger meaning to some people than replacement words, which is why I only use them when I'm very mad at someone/something. I don't use "dang it" instead of "goddammit" because I think it's "bad" - I use it because I'm not that irritated. Take the words "like/love" and "dislike/hate" for example - they mean basically the same thing, but "love" is stronger than "like" and "hate" is stronger than "dislike".
Feb 10, 2013 9:18 PM

Jan 2011
gustre said:
It would depend on the nationality as well as other factors. For instance, Swedes rarely utter swearing words, unlike Americans. (Their language Swedish itself doesn't have so many swearing words, compared to English.)

We Swedes actually swear a lot. It's quite popular to string together several different swear words into one long rambling swear chant.

"Fans jävla satans helvetes kuksugar fitthelvete fan vad jag hatar den här förbannade jävla skiten! FAN!"

kanjiphobe said:
Vinter said:
I get pissed off when people replace swear words with something else. Like H E double hockey sticks, heck, gosh darn it, dang, fudge.

How is getting bent out of shape over someone's choice to use "dang it" instead of "goddammit" any different than someone getting worked up over someone using swear words? That's like offering someone a alcoholic drink and when they turn it down with "No thanks - I don't drink alcohol", you get mad as if they had said "Ew, no - alcohol is evil!".
My point is: if they aren't telling you what and what not to say, I don't see why you should care whether someone swears or not.

Because it's not about the words themselves, but about the hypocrisy. If you want to swear, then swear. Otherwise don't. Using dang and shoot isn't fooling anyone, and it doesn't make you holier than anyone else. Either you swear or you don't swear. It just comes off as a desperate attempt to avoid offending anyone. Like calling handicapped people "differently abled" or calling homophobia "traditional family values".

Post-Josh said:
I missed that gem from Vinter the first time.

I make an effort. :D
This time I'm serious though.
VinterFeb 10, 2013 9:21 PM
> The Fellow MAL Users Social Link has reached level 6!
> Your power to create Forum Posts of the Anime Arcana has grown!
Feb 10, 2013 10:12 PM

Jan 2013
Vinter said:
kanjiphobe said:
Vinter said:

Because it's not about the words themselves, but about the hypocrisy. If you want to swear, then swear. Otherwise don't. Using dang and shoot isn't fooling anyone, and it doesn't make you holier than anyone else. Either you swear or you don't swear. It just comes off as a desperate attempt to avoid offending anyone. Like calling handicapped people "differently abled" or calling homophobia "traditional family values".

Like I said though, I don't replace them with other words because I think they're "bad" or "offensive" - I use words that I feel fit what I'm trying to express.
Technically, they're not even replacement words. They're words that mean something similar, but are not interchangeable. I don't see how I'm being a hypocrite.
Feb 10, 2013 10:40 PM

Jan 2011
And if that's true then that's fine.

But if you look up for instance 'darn' in a dictionary, the etymology is indeed that of an alteration of damn. Because there used to be a time in human history when people thought curses were real, and that certain words were inherently bad or immoral. For instance in Swedish the word for wolf is 'varg', which originally meant slayer/strangler and was what we call a noa word. It was intended as a circumlocution for the real word for wolf, which is 'ulv', that was used because people in the past were superstitious and afraid, and thought that calling a wolf by it's real name would summon it or bring unfortune.

It's the same case with words like darn or gosh dally, they're just superstitious euphemisms. Remnants of a time in human history when we were afraid of our own shadows.
> The Fellow MAL Users Social Link has reached level 6!
> Your power to create Forum Posts of the Anime Arcana has grown!
Feb 10, 2013 10:47 PM

Oct 2012
i dont care if other people use them
RRRRRRRRRR
Feb 10, 2013 10:57 PM

Jan 2013
Vinter said:
And if that's true then that's fine.

But if you look up for instance 'darn' in a dictionary, the etymology is indeed that of an alteration of damn.

Huh. Didn't know that-- Well, I was well aware that some people do indeed use it as a replacement, but I didn't know that was it's reason for being created in the first place. I always assumed it all depends on how the individual uses the word - for some people it's a replacement, and for others such as myself, it's similar, but weaker and not interchangeable with "damn".
Feb 10, 2013 11:05 PM

Dec 2011
I keep reading this title as "What is your favorite swear word?" -.-

Like everybody else said, swear words are in fact useful for communicating expressions/feelings. I don't think society should never use them. It can get to be too much if they're usage becomes excessive though, and there are definitely times where it's inappropriate to swear. And it actually really bothers me when kids swear around or at their parents. Like I want to smack them back into their mother's womb.. I realize that every relationship is different, and some of my friends even have that kind of freedom with their parents and I've witnessed it, but I don't like it.
Feb 10, 2013 11:06 PM
Dec 2012
Phrases like "Ah shit! Damn you! What the hell!? You son of a bitch! Ass hole! Douchbag!" are perfectly acceptiable around me. Anything that Is directly relating to Sex, religion, woman, race is something i shy away from.
I may be a cold hearted monster, but evil has standards you know.
Of course that doesn't change the fact that im lecherous.
Fufufu Why bother?
Feb 10, 2013 11:10 PM

Sep 2012
Avarice_wings said:
You son of a bitch! ... are perfectly acceptiable around me.
...directly related to ... woman ... i shy away from.
Oh?
Feb 10, 2013 11:14 PM

Oct 2010
the usage of swear words mainly depends on the people , environment, and atmosphere

if one of my friends dislikes hearing them or is uneasy then i try not to use them
(try is the main part)

if no one cares then i talk like a sailor

but if the atmosphere is wrong for them then i generally think they should not be used
dont ask questions, just do answers
Feb 10, 2013 11:55 PM

May 2011
Well I swear/cuss/curse what ever you want to call it, because all of the adults in my life have done it since I was a tiny tot. I can control my mouth when I need to, but when I'm chilling with my friends I can't stop myself from dropping fuck about 100 times a day. Especially when playing competetive multiplayer games with dumb asses for team mates that couldn't find their own hand if you told them to look for it. I hate stupid behavior and it brings out my foul mouth. I'm sure I will carry this trend onto my children should I have any. I'm just that fuckin' cool bro.
*Cringey anime weeb stuff*
Feb 11, 2013 12:02 AM

Jun 2007
I just treat them as they are - more words to convey things. Maybe that's because I write, or maybe it's just because I'm not an asshole who think words can be "good" or "bad".

That's like saying a spoon is bad and you shouldn't use one.

That metaphor makes no sense and that's my point.
Feb 11, 2013 12:11 AM

Sep 2012
Personally I never swear... strange really. However I don't mind other people using them. Unless of course their bogans who swear in every sentence they use, that gets annoying...
Feb 11, 2013 12:56 AM

Mar 2012
TallonKarrde23 said:
I just treat them as they are - more words to convey things. Maybe that's because I write, or maybe it's just because I'm not an asshole who think words can be "good" or "bad".

I tried to understand that metaphor and my brain imploded.
LoneWolf said:
Feb 11, 2013 1:14 AM

Dec 2011
TallonKarrde23 said:

Well it shouldn't because that's not a metaphor..
Feb 11, 2013 1:20 AM

Jan 2013
Swear words? I F*****G LOVE EM!

Feb 11, 2013 1:51 AM

Oct 2012
The obsession with swear words or slurs is ridiculous. It's not polite. That's it. It's not a moral issue.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Feb 11, 2013 2:05 AM

Mar 2010
Personally, I don't care. People are going to swear whether you like it or not, so it's best to just get it through your head.
I can understand why people don't like to hear it though, since it can be viewed as "negative".
But I don't see it as a big problem. It's just a way for people to express themselves/rant. I don't like to swear too much myself, though it slips sometimes. ;P

Edit: Removed deleted quote chain.
TachiiFeb 11, 2013 7:09 PM
Feb 11, 2013 2:43 AM

Jul 2011
King_Kouta_777 said:
What is your view on swear words?

I think they are fucking awesome. Obviously, there is a time and/or place not to use them, but if the coast is clear, then I'm probably dropping F-bombs left and right more than a teenage girl saying "like".
Feb 11, 2013 5:28 AM

Sep 2011
bakaboy said:
Swear words? I F*****G LOVE EM!

Then why are you censoring yourself?
Come visit my town // I apologize in advance for my second-rate English

Join my fan club // Improve the transport network
Feb 11, 2013 5:30 AM

Feb 2010
I usually don't give a shit about swear words. However I'm not a fan of bringing them into a worthwile debate.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 11, 2013 5:44 AM
Jul 2018
I don't care either way, I usually adapt myself to the person.
If that person happens to like that type of language then I got no problem using it myself and vice versa.
Feb 11, 2013 6:01 AM

Nov 2012
I use 'em everyday with friends, little bro and to almost everyone on the internet. When I start using swear words to people IRL it usually means that I'm comfortable around that friend I'm talking to and I enjoy it when that friend swears with me. I understand that some people don't like it and shit and I respect that, but I hate it when some of them listen in on a conversation I'm having and come up to me and tell me that I need to wash my tongue with soap or some other bullshit. Those people need to get the fuck off my tits. I'm a 34D, my puppies need to breath.

Feb 11, 2013 8:30 AM

Apr 2011
Doesn't matter. It's words to me. Though I hold my tongue when I know I should, just swearing is one thing, being polite is another.
Feb 11, 2013 3:03 PM

Oct 2012
Nidstang said:
Though I hold my tongue when I know I should, just swearing is one thing, being polite is another.
Holding my tongue invokes the gag reflex so I tend not to.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Feb 11, 2013 3:12 PM

Oct 2012
I don´t know why. But after reading the OP, this song came to mind:

Who got butter on the Hadron Cannon?
Feb 11, 2013 5:44 PM

Jun 2012
I get tired of people talking about ''bad words'' and ''bad language''. Bullshit! It's the context that makes them good or bad.
-George Carlin
Feb 11, 2013 8:50 PM

Apr 2007
There is a right place and time to use them. Personally I don't use them because I don't want to disrespect anybody.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

832 by deg »»
9 minutes ago

» why is being idealistic always considered as a taboo in this world?

FruitPunchBaka - Yesterday

9 by PeripheralVision »»
52 minutes ago

» Are you e-famous? Are you an Internet celebrity? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 18

64 by DesuMaiden »»
1 hour ago

» Jokes

Zettaiken - 4 hours ago

5 by LoveYourSmile »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Which is worse, reddit or 4chan. ( 1 2 3 )

Say-My-Name - Jul 29, 2022

101 by DesuMaiden »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.