Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 2, 2012 12:27 PM
Dec 2012
A lot of people whom I have come into contact with at conventions and other anime-related events usually have strong feelings one way or another to fanservice.

I for one, don't personally care. I know WHY people have such strong feelings against it, and you can tell by my lists that I am not one of these people, but I don't understand why it completely ruins a series for them.

I could understand if the entire series was panty-shots, and other things... but a lot of the series that come up in conversation really confuse me. How do you all feel about it? What series do you or don't you watch based on your feelings?

Do you even care? Why not?
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 2, 2012 12:32 PM

Feb 2010
I don't like it, but I think that's because most of the time it doesn't try to be done well anymore. Way too formulaic, obvious and more focus than side effect.
The Monogatari series would be an example of creative fanservice, and I happened to really enjoy it. It has enough going for it aside from the fanservice and just does it vey clever and not that formulaic.
Don't want to go into more detail right now, but fanservice can definitely be a reason to drop a show, if I get the impression that the show doesn't want to use it to actually service the fans of the show, but uses it to make people interested in a show that has nothing much going on aside from it in the first place.
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 2, 2012 12:33 PM

Sep 2010
The fact they have strong feelings against fan service indicates they are not fans of the shows that use it and should not act as if a show with fan service is in anyway harming itself for pleasing the fans the service is aimed at.

I like fan service because I am a fan and not a fool that believes anime to simply be used for pretentious artistic(and often shitty) expression.

Dec 2, 2012 12:36 PM
Jun 2012
Indifferent.
I tend to not care, especially if I'm not the target audience of the show.
Dec 2, 2012 12:36 PM

Dec 2011
I hate fanservice with all my strenght.
Dec 2, 2012 12:39 PM
Dec 2012
Don't like it. Every time I see it I can't help but think of the cheesiness. And what usually gets me is how immature the situations are.

Don't get me wrong, it is appreciated - so long as it's direct and mature. But I can do well without.
Dec 2, 2012 12:39 PM

Sep 2012
Depends on which anime I'm watching ... sometimes I don't care (Highschool DXD) sometimes I like it (Freezing) and sometimes I hate it from the depths of my soul (Highschool of the Dead).
Dec 2, 2012 12:40 PM

Sep 2012
I seem to be the only one willing to admit that I enjoy good fanservice.
Dec 2, 2012 12:42 PM

Sep 2012
Anime_Name said:
The fact they have strong feelings against fan service indicates they are not fans of the shows that use it and should not act as if a show with fan service is in anyway harming itself for pleasing the fans the service is aimed at.

Fan service is one of the cheapest attempt to grab the attention of a viewer. If you actually think that it's OK for the author to take you as someone so shallow you'd like an anime more if they throw some boobs in your face. Well, good for you!

I like fan service because I am a fan and not a fool that believes anime to simply be used for pretentious artistic(and often shitty) expression.

So not liking fanservice = being "a fool that believes anime to simply be used for pretentious artistic(and often shitty) expression."

LOL
Dec 2, 2012 12:42 PM

Dec 2010
I like fanservice for certain types of genres i.e. romantic comedy.

Shows where there is some sort of seriousness to it, I would absolutely hate it if I saw fanservice. Also, I hate it when they have fanservice for popular shounen-ish anime.

I mean Zero no Tsukaima (specfically the 2nd and 3rd season) have unbelievable amounts of ecchi. It's just deterring.

And I'm one of the biggest perverts around!

Dec 2, 2012 12:45 PM

Jan 2012
Yes.

Not too much though to the point that there's nothing else to the show.

Strike Witches has just the right amount.
Dec 2, 2012 12:46 PM
Dec 2012
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
I don't like it, but I think that's because most of the time it doesn't try to be done well anymore. Way too formulaic, obvious and more focus than side effect.
The Monogatari series would be an example of creative fanservice, and I happened to really enjoy it. It has enough going for it aside from the fanservice and just does it vey clever and not that formulaic.
Don't want to go into more detail right now, but fanservice can definitely be a reason to drop a show, if I get the impression that the show doesn't want to use it to actually service the fans of the show, but uses it to make people interested in a show that has nothing much going on aside from it in the first place.

I really like that you actually have a basis for your opinion, and I can most definitely agree that some animes use fanservice to completely make the show without any plot or interesting characters in general.

Anime_Name said:

Lol. I like your take on it. I suppose people aren't aware that some animes are made to be geared toward a certain group of people.

Madeline said:
Indifferent.
I tend to not care, especially if I'm not the target audience of the show.

YOU ARE MY FAVORITE PERSON IN THE WORLD RIGHT NOW. Too many people overlook the fact that anime can be geared toward a specific audience.

Glub said:

Any reason?
Dec 2, 2012 12:47 PM
Oct 2012
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

This. I don't think it is something that would make we watch a show, but it can sure as hell make me drop a show if I find it too pandering or forced. It's one of those indicators that the animating staff isn't really trying with the animation, which ultimately means the animation will prove to be disappointing.

Muv-luv would be a great example of this for me. I actually enjoyed the first two episodes, but dropped it after the 4th because of a totally ridiculous beach scene.
Dec 2, 2012 12:48 PM

Nov 2011
Indifferent, unless its annoying(like in highschool DxD)

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link

Oct 2012
It got on my nerves in High School of the Dead that in every possible moment of a scene, fan service was used. Seriously, they're driving the hummer and drive over a bump in the road, then a quick transition to a boob jiggle. Countless other scenes of that nature, though I did enjoy the action, but felt I remembered more of the fan service than the actual story.
Other than that, if it's not excessive, I don't mind it.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.

Sep 2010

Fan service is one of the cheapest attempt to grab the attention of a viewer. If you actually think that it's OK for the author to take you as someone so shallow you'd like an anime more if they throw some boobs in your face. Well, good for you!

And? If it works, it works. You or any other prat in this thread not liking isn't the measure of success for any anime that uses fan service.

Am I okay with a writer doing what he/she wants with their story, yes.
Am I okay with a business legally doing what makes that business money, yes.
How cheap or shallow the techniques used don't matter so long as the effect they want happens.

So not liking fanservice = being "a fool that believes anime to simply be used for pretentious artistic(and often shitty) expression."

Pretty much. A lot of not liking fan service in any given anime/manga comes from the "fan" not getting the references or goal of the artist and proves that the "fan" in question isn't really a fan but rather a nit-picky passerby.

Dec 2, 2012 12:49 PM
Dec 2012
executableapplet said:
Don't like it. Every time I see it I can't help but think of the cheesiness. And what usually gets me is how immature the situations are.

Don't get me wrong, it is appreciated - so long as it's direct and mature. But I can do well without.

I like how mature your view point is on it. You don't like it but you understand that it doesn't have to always be done in such a poor manner. Awesome.

MAND4 said:
Depends on which anime I'm watching ... sometimes I don't care (Highschool DXD) sometimes I like it (Freezing) and sometimes I hate it from the depths of my soul (Highschool of the Dead).

I can relate. Sometimes it's just way too in your face.

hpulley said:
I seem to be the only one willing to admit that I enjoy good fanservice.

Lol. Congrats! :) It's good to be different.

DesolateOne said:
I like fanservice for certain types of genres i.e. romantic comedy.

Shows where there is some sort of seriousness to it, I would absolutely hate it if I saw fanservice. Also, I hate it when they have fanservice for popular shounen-ish anime.

I mean Zero no Tsukaima (specfically the 2nd and 3rd season) have unbelievable amounts of ecchi. It's just deterring.

And I'm one of the biggest perverts around!

I can understand completely. Serious plotline + odd amounts of fanservice = not a good time.
Dec 2, 2012 12:50 PM

Jan 2012
Tavor said:
It got on my nerves in High School of the Dead that in every possible moment of a scene, fan service was used. Seriously, they're driving the hummer and drive over a bump in the road, then a quick transition to a boob jiggle. Countless other scenes of that nature, though I did enjoy the action, but felt I remembered more of the fan service than the actual story.
DAMMIT! Now I'm going to have to re-watch that one. I was so focussed on the action that I didn't pay enough attention to those things!
Dec 2, 2012 12:50 PM

May 2012
Yes, fan service is good.
Dec 2, 2012 12:51 PM

Dec 2011
I don't mind fanservice as long as there's small amount of it or it fits in the show.
Dec 2, 2012 12:51 PM

Dec 2011
Lissy45213 said:

Glub said:

Any reason?

It is gross and dirty.
Dec 2, 2012 12:52 PM
Dec 2012
Tavor said:

LOL. XD You are amazing. That is one thing that can throw me off, as well. Granted, I won't drop a series completely for a few boob jiggles (though they do make me LOLOLOL), it does get quite annoying.
Dec 2, 2012 12:54 PM
Dec 2012
SetsukoHara said:
Anime_Name said:

LOL
The logic some people use is astounding. Especially when it's so easy to show them the irony of their own statement. Lol
Dec 2, 2012 12:56 PM
Dec 2012
Glub said:
Lissy45213 said:

Glub said:

Any reason?

It is gross and dirty.

Understandable. Thank you for your opinion. :)
Dec 2, 2012 12:57 PM

Oct 2012
Virtual_BS said:
Tavor said:
DAMMIT! Now I'm going to have to re-watch that one. I was so focussed on the action that I didn't pay enough attention to those things!

Lol'd.

I'm just too harsh in regard to HotD. Just make it an epic hentai series out of it if it's going to tease me like that XD

Dec 2, 2012 12:58 PM

Sep 2008
I used to be really irritated at fanservice in shows that I really wanted to take seriously, but now I've seen so much of it in so many shows that I can't be bothered to get annoyed anymore. Now every time we get a random beach/hot springs episode, or the main walks in on a girl changing, trips, and gets his face stuffed between her tits, it's just like "Yep, I'm watching anime. Nothing new here."

The only thing that does suck is I've probably lost my sense of what "normal" people would find acceptable in an anime if I recommended it to them. I've had a lot of awkward moments showing an anime I liked to less-experienced friends, and realizing halfway through a bad fanservice scene that "Oh. This shit might be a little weird."
Dec 2, 2012 1:02 PM
Dec 2012
Knil said:
I used to be really irritated at fanservice in shows that I really wanted to take seriously, but now I've seen so much of it in so many shows that I can't be bothered to get annoyed anymore. Now every time we get a random beach/hot springs episode, or the main walks in on a girl changing, trips, and gets his face stuffed between her tits, it's just like "Yep, I'm watching anime. Nothing new here."

The only thing that does suck is I've probably lost my sense of what "normal" people would find acceptable in an anime if I recommended it to them. I've had a lot of awkward moments showing an anime I liked to less-experienced friends, and realizing halfway through a bad fanservice scene that "Oh. This shit might be a little weird."

Lol! That's great! And yeah, I do think we get numbed to a lot of that after watching different animes for so long. I don't know if I can say that is a bad or good thing for fanservice, but it can indeed cause some problems. Lol.
Dec 2, 2012 1:03 PM
Oct 2012
Knil said:

This poster might help you to "sensitize" your friends before viewing.

http://greyfox.me/2010/05/09/japan-seriously-where-else-could-this-possibly-happen/
Dec 2, 2012 1:09 PM
Dec 2012
Knil said:

You're beginning to see the light. Keep watching. Dig deep into those sweet anime walls...
Dec 2, 2012 1:09 PM

Jan 2012
Tavor said:
Virtual_BS said:
Tavor said:

Lol'd.

I'm just too harsh in regard to HotD. Just make it an epic hentai series out of it if it's going to tease me like that XD
The one epic fanservice scene I do remember is this one, just because it made me lol.
Dec 2, 2012 1:12 PM
Dec 2012
Virtual_BS said:
Tavor said:
Virtual_BS said:
Tavor said:

Lol'd.

The one epic fanservice scene I do remember is this one, just because it made me lol.
We can always appreciate wit. But it's still cheesy.
executableappletDec 2, 2012 1:15 PM
Dec 2, 2012 1:13 PM

Oct 2012
Virtual_BS said:

Oh yes, that's pretty much the staple scene of HotD, that and the bathtub sequence lmao.

Dec 2, 2012 1:16 PM
Dec 2012
MAND4 said:

^This!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 2, 2012 1:16 PM

May 2012
Fan service sells.

But I find it hard to watch these days, usually just skip the eps with alot of that.
Dec 2, 2012 1:19 PM

Sep 2010
executableapplet said:
SetsukoHara said:
Anime_Name said:

LOL
The logic some people use is astounding. Especially when it's so easy to show them the irony of their own statement. Lol

Yup, it is very ironic for a fan to not like fan service.

Dec 2, 2012 1:21 PM
Nov 2012
Depending on the fanservice. You do realize that there are different kinds of fanservice?

There's the one type of fanservice: tasteless breast/skirt shots and zoom-ins that I personally don't want to see.

And then, there is tasteful fanservice of full body shots of the girls, show how attractive they are on the whole, and that I encourage much more than the other and I like seeing a lot.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 2, 2012 1:23 PM

Oct 2012
i dont really care for fanservice if i wanted boobs i would just watch hentai
RRRRRRRRRR
Dec 2, 2012 1:24 PM
Apr 2010
I avoid anime that looks like it's going to have lots of fanservice (ecchi).
Dec 2, 2012 1:27 PM

Jun 2012
I don't mind it, its nice if its not overdone to shit and people are out of proportion (that woman on queens blade, WTF) also depends on the series really, i think it fits well in comedies more so than a completely serious show but even still it can go in there :P
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?
Dec 2, 2012 1:28 PM

Dec 2012
Too much fanservice for me ruins the anime imo. So I like my anime to have little fanservice and more of plot, yeah?
I can tolerate fanservice in general though. If it's made for comedic purposes then yes.
Dec 2, 2012 1:35 PM

Feb 2010
I dislike it.

why? mostly this:

VanisherDec 2, 2012 1:38 PM
Dec 2, 2012 1:52 PM
Jul 2012
I love it. Panty shots and boob jiggling are life.
Dec 2, 2012 2:15 PM

Aug 2010
I'm generally against it. If I really want to see a character naked, I can do that outside of the show. Within the show it's usually uncomfortable and forced.
Dec 2, 2012 2:25 PM

May 2011
I like ecchi shows, so for the most part I like fanservice. But I can understand how it might become an akward situation in a serious show. I for one will never drop a show becuase it has too many boobs or panty shots, just seems like a dumb reason to not watch a show. Check the rating before hand if its r+ expect it...
*Cringey anime weeb stuff*
Dec 2, 2012 2:29 PM
Nov 2012
It doesn't matter as long as it doesn't make the plot lose of its consistency lool but I dislike the uncalled for bath scenes.

«War is a hostile takeover of nations, coated in sugary religiosity and fiery terms of "right" and "wrong" from people who use faith as a mean of coercion and a tool of capitulation.» - Sacrophagus
Dec 2, 2012 2:37 PM

Oct 2012
Anime_Name said:

All I'm going to say is that that is a very closed minded view backed up by some flawed logic.

As for the topic, the fan service in High School of the Dead was pretty tasteless and it actually hurt the show. I didn't mind it so much in Neon genesis Evangelion however because it was a lot more subtle.
ShrabsterDec 2, 2012 2:42 PM

Dec 2, 2012 2:54 PM

Jul 2012
aozoai said:
I am a simpleton who is easily amused.
Of course, I don't pray that my anime include fanservice, but I certainly won't object if it does.
aozoai said:
Lol, well said.

Dec 2, 2012 2:54 PM
Oct 2012
Vanisher said:
I dislike it.

why? mostly this:

Always a fun series to watch, but even he admitted there was some fanservice he liked (Bake and Nise), so it isn't quite as objective as he would like to believe.

Another way to put it that might have explain it would be Fanservice is similar to product placement. It may be required because of budgetary reasons, but if you are going to do it, don't overdo it. Try to make it as least disruptive as possible, or at least combine it with something (dialog, humor, whatever), so it doesn't feel like you only put it in there because you think the viewers are even less intelligent than Pavlov's dogs.

If I recall properly, I think Bakuman explained these rules when Takagi was trying to teach Aoki how to draw an effective panty shot.
Dec 2, 2012 3:00 PM

Nov 2012
I don't like fanservice. If I want to watch boobs I'll go to a pornsite. I don't need it in my anime.
Dec 2, 2012 3:42 PM

Nov 2012
I don't mind it every once in awhile. But generally, no. I stay away from it.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9464 by anime-prime »»
10 minutes ago

» Animes you wish had dubs?

Mattenan - 11 hours ago

15 by Anjuro »»
11 minutes ago

» Anime that age well ( 1 2 )

Kirika_Madeleine - Oct 15

57 by Memore »»
13 minutes ago

» ☀️Summer 2024: OP/ ED of the Season & discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

nirererin - Oct 6

197 by Shadow9lives »»
17 minutes ago

» I don't understand why shoujo is so much more shunned than all other demographics. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fario-P - Apr 27, 2023

312 by Dienen »»
26 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.