Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 12, 2013 7:50 AM

Jul 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Episode 145, Wings of Death - Albatross.

Did you notice the animation is something different from the other episodes?
Yes, it is. This episode was directed by Teruki Tsutomu aka Hayao Miyazaki. (and Episode 155 too)

Airplanes are drawn in detail. Aerial battle is awesome.
Fujiko seems younger than usual lol.
kusushiJan 12, 2013 10:58 PM
Oct 26, 2013 3:18 PM

Mar 2010
Was so surprised how everything's changed too, Fujiko like totally different person and Zenigata is too seriousm lol. Still animation looks much less sloppy and action is just great, GJ Miyazaki))
But if the arrow is straight
And the point is slick
It can pierce through dust
No matter how thick...
Nov 23, 2013 5:47 PM

Jun 2010
Miyazaki's little affinities (rooms crowded with miscellaneous stuff, machine guns, grenades, and especially 1930s flight technology) are quite evident, and the detail and animation are gorgeous.

I'm not really that fond of his depictions of some of the characters, though. Lupin's kind of baby-faced, and while his friendship with Jigen gets a lot of flavor, I think they act too much like teenage boys for my taste. Fujiko being more like a pulp-fiction spy than a thief is pretty weird, but it's a decent change of pace.

As in The Castle of Cagliostro, Zenigata's trench-coat is fastened closed and he is far more competent than usual, being an actual threat to Lupin rather than a silly nuisance. The shtick the series so often plays with Zenigata gets old, so this is nice.

As far I'm able to tell, the Albatross is a fictional aircraft, but I could be wrong.
Dec 9, 2013 8:15 AM

Oct 2009
Fronzel said:
Miyazaki's little affinities (rooms crowded with miscellaneous stuff, machine guns, grenades, and especially 1930s flight technology)

And one of them being that women are very strong-willed and independent in his works. Fujiko isn't just damsel in distress like she was, for example, in the previous episode; she is just so lovely

SerhiykoAug 31, 2017 10:26 AM
Jul 10, 2014 4:43 AM
Apr 2008
There's just no way to not comment on this episode; the changes are too stark, for one, and the animation style is very obviously Hayao Miyazaki's; I had very vivid flashbacks of Laputa, with the aerial battles, fluidity of animation (esp. combat, action), strong female character, and attention to detail really made it obvious it was him: the mooks weren't just cannon fodder like mooks usually are in this series!

Just not a fan of the character design changes, but it's not bad.
Mar 30, 2015 7:18 PM

Apr 2012
Previously Miyazaki was putting more clothes on Fujiko but now, wow. Fanservice galore!

Yeah definitely felt like Laputa and so on.
May 15, 2015 5:26 AM

Apr 2012
Wow, this episode. Really seemed like a Laputa prototype, so many scenes are storyboarded the same, like Lupin and Jigen running-jumping, the air battle, Fujiko being badass...

Still felt pretty weird with the Ghibli like chara design (I barely recognized Fujiko) which is more simple, more round... in a way it felt too 80s compared to all the previous part II.
Sep 18, 2016 2:50 AM
Sep 2007
Miyazaki should have directed more, far more Lupin episodes.
Dec 29, 2016 8:33 PM

Jan 2012
In which Lupin takes to the skies to rescue Fujiko from a madman with a stockpile of atomic bombs! Well...I say rescue but considering Fujiko beats the tar out of all the bad guys nearly single-handedly maybe that's an exaggeration. :D Seriously, the girl's like Rambo or something here:

Just contrast her pro-activeness here with the previous episode that had her in a box the entire episode. If you couldn't tell by how different she acts her appearance is a dead giveaway that Miyazaki directed this one. Tell me she's not a dead Nausicaa wringer in that fourth pic. Very similar anyway. Speaking of similarities the bad guy's an inspiration for Dr. Robotnik no doubt:

Another sign Miyazaki worked on this? The airplaines, his love for them is obvious. Definitely reminiscent of what was to come with Porco Rosso or Wind Rises:

Overall this was quite different from most other Lupin outing, but not in a bad way. A beautifully animated exciting adventure. One of the best.

animefan8800Dec 31, 2016 1:07 AM
Dec 31, 2016 12:46 AM

Oct 2009
animefan8800 said:
Seriously, the girl's like Rambo or something here:

One of the pics was removed
Dec 31, 2016 1:07 AM

Jan 2012
Serhiyko said:
animefan8800 said:
Seriously, the girl's like Rambo or something here:

One of the pics was removed

Replaced thanks, really gotta stop using photobucket after this. XD
Jan 24, 2017 6:41 AM

Jul 2008
kusushi said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Episode 145, Wings of Death - Albatross.

Did you notice the animation is something different from the other episodes?
Yes, it is. This episode was directed by Teruki Tsutomu aka Hayao Miyazaki. (and Episode 155 too)

Airplanes are drawn in detail. Aerial battle is awesome.
Fujiko seems younger than usual lol.

I instantly thought Miyazaki. I had to do a few double takes. This was an incredible episode.
Mar 22, 2017 6:07 PM

Jan 2012
Been seeing more of the Miyazaki in this one. The scene when Fujiko ran through the plane kicking ass was awesome. I'm going to have to keep an eye out for more of these!
May 27, 2017 2:17 AM

Sep 2016
This episode was really well animated and overall great. Probably one of my favorite episodes so far.
Mar 20, 2019 2:47 AM

Oct 2012
Did Lupin just kick a grenade while holding the pot (Nabe)? What a badass xD

Nuclear bomb? Oh no *flashback to Hiroshima & Nagasaki
Goemon and Zenigata looked more sharper than usual

Zenigata is really oblivious, he should be demoted after this

This is the Lupin I'm waiting for!
I feel like they change the writer for the good xD
"Signature removed"
Jul 14, 2019 7:05 AM

Nov 2016
Wow episode. Designs weren't really my cup this time either, but directing and action were awesome.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 22, 2019 5:37 AM

Sep 2011
Brilliant episode, and Miyazaki's magic is undoubtedly present. I mean, Fujiko was forced to remain naked for most of it because of that creepy old man, who reminded me of Robotnik. And even Lupin and Jigen were stripped down to their underwear because Zenigata was more forceful than usual, but I'm not complaining. Fujiko was favored here, and she pretty much conquered Albatross by herself, it was amazing, and even funny when she threw that bomb back. The only thing that saddens me is that Goemon didn't do much, and that he wasn't there to board the Albatross and all. But I think I saw Heidi's Alps here, and I loved it, the episode was great.
Jul 6, 2020 2:34 AM

Jan 2017
Definetly the best episode for me. The animation, the detail in visuals and also the sheer chaos on screen scream Miyazaki. The characters feel indeed younger and a bit rewritten in how they act.
Jan 24, 2021 7:35 PM

Feb 2012
I feel conflicted about this one. The characters not only looked prettier, but had different personalities. For once Fujiko wasn't siding with whoever has the goods, and she was perfectly capable of putting up resistance instead of being completely saved by Lupin. Lupin wasn't as uxorious, and Zenigata was more cooperative. The air fight was great.

I can definitely see some similarities to Ghibli style. And yet it didn't feel like a Lupin episode because of all the differences. Some of the aspects were really good, but... what I don't like about Ghibli movies is their Absolutely Wholesome feel, like they're trying to please everyone and their great-grandmothers. It makes everything a bit too smooth, and in a series like Lupin III it's doubly damning.
Feb 21, 2021 8:05 AM
Mar 2016
Unexpected and great, I felt the Miyazaki's touch immediately
Jan 17, 2022 6:35 PM
Jun 2013
Came here just to confirm that the episode was directed by miyazaki. I'll agree that after 100 epides this feels off but it was certainly a change of pace and every event was more meaningful, more impactful. It's no wonder miyazaki turned to be the man he is.
May 26, 2023 3:45 PM

May 2023
More than any other Lupin episode, this seemed more like a small movie, than part of the series! It felt so different, yet original, that I had to comment myself. Miyazaki's style is prevalent here - both the animation and the action scenes, which were gorgeous! Zenigata more serious, Fujiko a badass - loved it, just loved it. It's probably the "most Miyazaki" of all other Miyazaki Lupin episodes I can think of - probably because it reminded me so much of his later films.

This second series had its ups and downs, but this episode was among the best, no doubt about it.
May 23, 1:43 AM
Dec 2022
there should have been more miyazaki episodes ARGHHHHHH i guess i wait for last episode

More topics from this board

Poll: » Lupin III: Part II Episode 12 Discussion

animefan8800 - Mar 22, 2016

6 by CUD »»
Sep 11, 2:11 AM

Poll: » Lupin III: Part II Episode 139 Discussion

Serhiyko - Nov 27, 2013

8 by SourNote2014 »»
Sep 10, 1:09 AM

Poll: » Lupin III: Part II Episode 105 Discussion

animefan8800 - Nov 4, 2016

6 by SourNote2014 »»
Jul 17, 4:05 AM

Poll: » Lupin III: Part II Episode 152 Discussion

Fronzel - Nov 27, 2013

11 by SourNote2014 »»
May 30, 11:51 PM

Poll: » Lupin III: Part II Episode 155 Discussion

HawthorneKitty - Aug 19, 2011

20 by wallus81 »»
May 24, 2:49 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.