Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 4, 2008 6:17 PM
May 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
KinetaNov 25, 2012 9:56 AM
Nov 5, 2008 2:16 AM

Aug 2008
Yup.
Everything about it was just awesome, u don't see anime like this often... it was great.
Nov 5, 2008 6:16 AM

Oct 2007
Great ? to be honest it annoyed me in the last half and even tho it was not that bad overall it didn't really give me enough satisfaction and enjoyment while watching it ...
Nov 6, 2008 6:46 PM

Jan 2008
Loved it. My kind of SciFi. Going to miss Minamo's big butt though.
Nov 9, 2008 1:07 AM

Jun 2007
Wow that was a great ending. I'm not sure what to think about Mr. Haru getting his youth back though. I was kind of hopping the show wouldn't turn into a love story but o well, still an amazing show.
DeathfireDNov 9, 2008 2:12 PM
Nov 9, 2008 4:46 AM
Dec 2007
Great ending foe a great series. And no, it was not a SF love story, it was a double SF love story actually ;) Very original and perfectly written show in the end, 9/10.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Nov 10, 2008 2:56 AM

May 2008
That was probably the best episode I've seen this year...actually scratch that, that was indeed the best episode of anything I've seen this year. Personally I have no gripes with it being a love story, especially given that it fits well with the very optimistic view of the show. Plus it was an interesting take on Thales' belief that the world originated from water and of the importance of harmony between nature and man. At the moment it beats out Kaiba as my top show of 2008 and it's the only other thing besides that to get a 9/10 from me. Excellent series.
Nov 10, 2008 9:29 PM

Nov 2007
it was too happy. i'd be better if holon died, sota got together with the princess somehow. and haru came back young and love with minamo. doont get me wrong, i really like holon, but i just don't want the ending to be too happy. but it nevertheless made me happy. i gave the series 9/10. i don't think a second season will happen, but i would love to see one.
Nov 12, 2008 11:01 AM

Feb 2008
magnificent. its farfetched....but it would nice if that was the case. overall this show was just enjoyable to watch in all respects.
Nov 15, 2008 2:24 PM

Aug 2008
BAD. Such a disappointing series. This show fell into the trap that many fall into with this kind of story structure: Seemingly one off episodes that vaguely tie together for the end. Just like Ryoko's Case Files, Real Drive just couldn't coherently put together a strong enough narrative (besides the creepy romance) to tell an engaging story. I remember watching the first few episodes, genuinely arrested by the visual narrative and the more down to earth character design. That was more than enough to hold me over until an interesting story came along, and it really never did. Instead I have Souta falling in love with a robot (inexplicably), Minamo turning into a super moe, pathetically flat stereotype (which I saw coming, but denied from the beginning), a by the numbers re-cap episode, and many useless characters that took away from the (seemingly) central plot that only appeared in the last seven episodes (when I had just resigned to it being a slice of life). And after all that they try to win me over with what? Great visuals and a flat, uninteresting wrap up, complete with a fairy tale bow on the top for an ending. I dont think so. I give it a 5/10.
Nov 20, 2008 7:51 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Very great. What an awesome anime. I was looking forward to every single episode. Loved the music, the animation and the whole atmosphere. Definitely gonna miss it, I hope there will be more anime like this in the future. 9/10

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Nov 20, 2008 10:42 AM
May 2008
cyruz said:
Very great. What an awesome anime. I was looking forward to every single episode. Loved the music, the animation and the whole atmosphere. Definitely gonna miss it, I hope there will be more anime like this in the future. 9/10

I think you'd like planetes a lot.
Nov 20, 2008 11:25 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
hatebobbarker said:
I think you'd like planetes a lot.

Ah yeah, thanks for the reminder. I want to watch that one soon.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Nov 20, 2008 4:38 PM

Apr 2007
meh.

an ok episode. 7/10 overall.
逃げちゃ駄目だ。
Nov 21, 2008 8:12 PM

Jul 2007
Absolutely_Steve said:
That was probably the best episode I've seen this year...actually scratch that, that was indeed the best episode of anything I've seen this year. Personally I have no gripes with it being a love story, especially given that it fits well with the very optimistic view of the show. Plus it was an interesting take on Thales' belief that the world originated from water and of the importance of harmony between nature and man. At the moment it beats out Kaiba as my top show of 2008 and it's the only other thing besides that to get a 9/10 from me. Excellent series.

Why try and write a post when you've stated my thoughts PERFECTLY?

I loved this series, and the ending was awesome. I gave it a 10/10 just because of the ending and I'm a sappy romantic at heart (Otherwise it's a 9/10). ^_^
<---made of awesome!
Nov 22, 2008 12:07 AM

May 2008
Disappointing ending. Haru should not have de-aged in the end. It sends out a stupid message: you can't go back to the past...unless you take a dive in the ocean!?

Sota getting together with a robot without any explanation is just dumb. At least they gave a valid reason for why humans can love robots in "Chobits." Well, I'm thankfull she didn't become a real woman...

Overall this was a good show, but if they put more effort into the plot and less effort into the Minamo's moe, pantyshot hijinks it could've been a lot better.
Nov 22, 2008 5:36 AM
Apr 2008
I cant believe this series turns out to be a romance story
7/10
I like the plot it did had potential but it just got screwed. :(
mixed feelings
Nov 22, 2008 1:07 PM

Mar 2008
The philosophical message was great. it's just a bit weird that Haru became 50 years younger thanks to Water healing power ? Of course it's more convenient for Minamo to love a 30 years old man... But it's so weird...

Anyway, i liked the show, the animation, the good athmosphere, so 9/10.
Nov 23, 2008 3:02 AM

Jun 2008
THAT WAS MAGICAL!!!!!!!
A la guerre com a la guerre
Nov 29, 2008 5:52 PM
Nov 2007
Geez, this show is such bullshit.
Dec 1, 2008 5:15 AM

Jul 2007
Absolutely loved the end. Didn't think it would turn out that way, but I always enjoy things ending on a happy note. Especially when they're 60 years younger!
Mar 26, 2009 5:33 PM

Dec 2008
The show was overall pretty good, i liked all the technical details and inventions. Maybe some of them will even be made into reality...

I knew that there is a romantic background but i dont like the actual romantic touch of it:
Haru(technically 79years old, body recovered to an age of 29) + Minamo(15yrs old teenager) = i think its disgusting in many ways
Souta x Holon(Android) = well if he can love programmed feelings...

i would have prefered and ending where Haru actually gave his life to save the artificial island and everyone on it. Would have been an greater impact and much more fitting in the way the series headed...

well just my opinion!

but still, i dont want to imagine minamo being knocked down by grandpa ...
Oct 11, 2009 6:42 AM

Jun 2009
It сould be 8/10, 'cause the plot, graphics, characters, philosophy... they are very good. but few boring and meaningless (banal, if you want) series in the middle did their work. The final is good. 7/10.
Oct 11, 2009 6:53 AM

Jan 2008
Predseln said:
I knew that there is a romantic background but i dont like the actual romantic touch of it:
Haru(technically 79years old, body recovered to an age of 29) + Minamo(15yrs old teenager) = i think its disgusting in many ways

Yeah, ignore the 29 year old bit, he's mentally a creepy old man. Well, the producers of the show are anyway.

WAHa_06x36 said:
Geez, this show is such bullshit.

You said it.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jan 5, 2010 3:15 AM

Aug 2008
hmm first time i saw 80 year old man x 15 year girl.
Jan 26, 2010 12:40 AM

Jul 2009
Haru was asleep for 50 years of his life. He didn't have those life experiences. So I suppose even if they were to get romantically involved it wouldn't be the strangest thing...
HOWEVER

I think there is as much romance between Haru and Kushima as there is between Haru and Minamo. :< I think it is platonic love, a very deep special kind of love :< Oh well.

Too much HIGH SCHOOL for me to give it a 9, so 8/10.

Powered by hinatachan - TaigaForum
Apr 22, 2010 3:11 AM
Jun 2009
This was a brilliant ending to the anime. Despite the fact that in our reality it is 'impossible' to go back 50 years or so physically, I think it works in Real Drive's reality. Kushima in the ep mentions the sea being an expanse of energy, and he also speaks of it having memories that it has collected. Now, as far as I can make out, Haru hasn't been in the sea - the actual sea, not the Metal - since before his accident. In their reality, it makes sense that perhaps the energy within the sea's last memory of Haru is of him much younger. Thus, when Kushima gives him a part of that energy, it reverts him back to his youthful self. Thats my theory anyway. As to Minamo/Haru, as has been stated already, Haru didn't live the years he was asleep, so inside hes still as young as he was then. I think we get glimpses of that nature throughout the series in his dealings with Minamo. Its also probably why he gets on well with her, being nearer her age than a lot of other people. The 'old man' behaviours probably come from adapting to an aged body, and also, even back in his youthful days, he was a fairly calm person, so in that respect its not really an 'old' behaviour.

On the Holon/Sota side of things, I'm glad he could finally completely accept her. He states that holon is 'human' - I think hes getting at the fact that she has likes and dislikes of her own, that she has a personality that forms out of experience, the same way that humans do. Of course her body isn't human, but that doesn't mean she doesn't feel [re: her calling out to him during that fight way back] and so why shouldn't they be in love?

Anyway, enough of my psychological/philosophical rambling. This has been a very very enjoyable anime, with just enough action/romance/plot as a mix. What can I say, it appeals to my hippy-earth-loving side ^_^
Aug 2, 2010 11:55 PM

Nov 2009
Big girls need love too.

Aug 5, 2010 3:47 PM

Aug 2008
beansprut said:
This was a brilliant ending to the anime. Despite the fact that in our reality it is 'impossible' to go back 50 years or so physically, I think it works in Real Drive's reality. Kushima in the ep mentions the sea being an expanse of energy, and he also speaks of it having memories that it has collected. Now, as far as I can make out, Haru hasn't been in the sea - the actual sea, not the Metal - since before his accident. In their reality, it makes sense that perhaps the energy within the sea's last memory of Haru is of him much younger. Thus, when Kushima gives him a part of that energy, it reverts him back to his youthful self. Thats my theory anyway. As to Minamo/Haru, as has been stated already, Haru didn't live the years he was asleep, so inside hes still as young as he was then. I think we get glimpses of that nature throughout the series in his dealings with Minamo. Its also probably why he gets on well with her, being nearer her age than a lot of other people. The 'old man' behaviours probably come from adapting to an aged body, and also, even back in his youthful days, he was a fairly calm person, so in that respect its not really an 'old' behaviour.

On the Holon/Sota side of things, I'm glad he could finally completely accept her. He states that holon is 'human' - I think hes getting at the fact that she has likes and dislikes of her own, that she has a personality that forms out of experience, the same way that humans do. Of course her body isn't human, but that doesn't mean she doesn't feel [re: her calling out to him during that fight way back] and so why shouldn't they be in love?

Anyway, enough of my psychological/philosophical rambling. This has been a very very enjoyable anime, with just enough action/romance/plot as a mix. What can I say, it appeals to my hippy-earth-loving side ^_^

I just finished watching it and this is exactly what I thought. Within the logic of Real Drive what happened to Haru makes perfect sense. Frankly I was waiting for him to regain his youth for about half the show.

Also you can tell throughout the show that Holon is slowly becoming more human like, and you can tell Sota is gradually falling for her. In the end Soto realizes that nothing at all is different between him and Holon except one was born to an organic body and one with a mechanical body.

From start to finish this series was truly enjoyable.
Mar 27, 2011 2:11 PM

Mar 2010
Beautiful anime, from beginning to end. I was especially happy to see Sota give Holon the bracelet finally and Haru given back the 50 years he lost from the sea~ =3
I wish more animes were this brilliantly made. Enough of the predictable narutard crap.
Apr 28, 2011 4:53 AM

Aug 2009
So the "Metal" no longer exists and everyone's cyber brain is useless because there's no network to connect to? What exactly just happen? Why would the stand alone super computer at the bottom of the ocean be wiped out as well since its not connected to the metal?

That darn Jenny En! Didn't even apologize for being dead wrong. He should have stepped down as Council member and face charges of "murdering" Kushima. And what kind of dude name is "Jenny" anyways?! Is he actually a she in a combat prosthetic body?

Anyways great series. I'll give it a 9/10. Would have been a 10/10 if it weren't so many "huh's?!". The situations were hard to follow sometimes.
Jul 21, 2012 5:17 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
I am a big fan of sci-fi and love that this show incorporated so much of it, but there were so many parts that were just too WTF? or just simply annoying as hell/predictable/facepalming material. I absolutely hated Minamo —her character design, her VA, her panty shots, her personality. I hated the never-ending, one-episode-long random side stories. I hated not really getting the whole Metal world until the last part. I hated having to sit through 15 episodes of basically crap in order to get to the main plot.

The last few episodes really managed to save this show. Though the age difference obviously is strange, I'm too much of a sucker for romance to not be smiling at the end.

The music was also so varied. I remember one episode had this horrible 80s sounding bgm. That was awful. Yet other times I really enjoyed the music.

It took me a year and three months to finally finish this anime. Not surprisingly, I marathoned the last part where the real plot came into play.

To sum up, there were parts of this show I hated but other parts I loved. Very conflicting. 7/10
p r o f i l e 👀
Jul 31, 2012 9:40 PM

Jan 2012
was okay.... could've been better for sure

7/10
Jun 5, 2014 4:55 PM

May 2012
Quite impressive ending I must say, the whole anime sure amazed me with some episodes while others just felt like fillers to me. Although with the strong visuals and decent plot build up towards the end it sure was pretty lovely!

All in all a pretty good anime! 7/10
Aug 26, 2014 6:21 PM

Aug 2008
No, I'm not speechless. I have so many things to say with this ending episode.

I'm really glad I watched the series solely to enjoy this last ending episode. I have a lot of favorite first episodes, but having a favorite last episode is quite a rare thing for me. This episode was fitting, satisfying, fantastic, magnificent and magical. I really felt happy watching every second of this episode because it was so just well done. Really, this ending couldn't be better. (Ok, I was in awe when Haru-san came back as his young form, but just why not? :P)

Overall, it was a pretty solid series to me. It was a good thing most of the episodes were standalone story. Some of it were not good enough to make me love this series as a whole but most of them are enjoyable. The thing I was very bothered was that I couldn't really grasp the whole concept of Metal, but it eventually came clear by the end of the series.
Feb 16, 2016 12:37 PM

Dec 2013
The last arc was pretty bullshit but the anime was quite enjoyable. The world was pretty interesting with nice visuals (that's I.G. for you) and the characters quite likeable. The only reason I picked such an unpopular anime was because the music composer is Taniuchi Hidkei anyways. Definitely not as great as DN or Kaiji musically but I'm not disappointed. Decent timekiller, 6/10.
Apr 30, 2016 1:17 PM
Mar 2015
All and all this Anime wasn't that bad. I wasn't really getting it at first, but all in all this wasn't a bad anime.
Aug 27, 2021 10:27 PM

May 2020
They really went and made Haru again didn't they ? And here I was hoping that it wouldn't happen. At least Sota and Holon might happen, although, the Secretary actually became nice towards the end, so I wouldn't have minded if that happened either.

Overall, this was pretty average. The concept of the Metal was a little too vague for my tastes and I didn't really care for the characters that much either.
Jun 30, 2023 2:28 AM
Aug 2019
Good ending for a good sci fi, though I wish there was a little more to it. I would have liked to have seen the cast go back to their normal lives once the metal was restarted. I know that can easily be assumed, but it would have made for a nice epilogue to actually show it. There would have been enough time for it if they either cut out the OP or played these scenes over the ED song. Speaking of the OP, what was up with that cyber shark? I kept waiting for it to show up in the metal but that episode never happened... 
As for Haru in the final scene I thought it was just symbolism for how finally diving again has made him feel younger rather than him literally de-aging. One of the themes of the show was how the ocean connects people, but I don't think anything about de-aging was mentioned. Also, if they wanted to show that him regaining his youth was literal, I feel they would have made that clearer by having Haru glow as he returns to the surface or something. Minamo just looked surprised/relived to see he was okay rather than shocked that he is 50 years younger so she might have just seen the aged Haru in-universe. Also showing Haru and Minamo diving together would have been a nice payoff to that recap episode, even if just as an end card.
Jul 7, 2023 5:02 AM

Aug 2017
reddelicious130 said:
for how finally diving again has made him feel younger rather than him literally de-aging
Also we shouldn't forget that Kushima ordered a prosthetic body for him so maybe he actually switched to it once he got completely 'rejuvenated' mentally after the dive (maybe the body was inside that station that Haru was diving from, and he changed before surfacing back at the beach).

Btw, what is that ESL thing from the final shot of the OP? Also they never used that cool shark from the opening :(
Overall I liked the slice-of-life mixed with an environmental plot, though I'd wish some of the points from the final episode had a better explanation from a theoretical point of view.

More topics from this board

Poll: » RD Sennou Chousashitsu Episode 22 Discussion

datsunvic - Nov 5, 2008

9 by AshRayKay »»
Feb 28, 7:00 PM

Poll: » RD Sennou Chousashitsu Episode 15 Discussion

cyruz - Oct 8, 2008

13 by AshRayKay »»
Dec 20, 2023 7:21 PM

Poll: » RD Sennou Chousashitsu Episode 7 Discussion

Darkreaper70 - Jun 11, 2008

20 by AshRayKay »»
Nov 30, 2023 7:23 PM

Poll: » RD Sennou Chousashitsu Episode 5 Discussion

cyruz - May 27, 2008

29 by AshRayKay »»
Nov 24, 2023 7:16 PM

Poll: » RD Sennou Chousashitsu Episode 8 Discussion

Firefox265 - Jun 26, 2008

20 by reddelicious130 »»
Jun 30, 2023 2:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.