Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 17, 2012 11:44 AM

Aug 2010
Carol Burnette being the crazy lady was perfect casting. However, Ponyo had Liam Neeson and that was a terrible dub. So how is this one?
Feb 17, 2012 12:05 PM

Jul 2009
It's decent. They added a few lines where I don't think there were any before, but they weren't really out of place. Carol Burnett's voice seemed to change every now and then toward the end, so I got confused. I heard a few people saying they thought Shou's lines were awkward at times, but I didn't really notice it.
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Feb 17, 2012 3:57 PM

Feb 2007
arsonal said:
I heard a few people saying they thought Shou's lines were awkward at times, but I didn't really notice it.

I haven't heard the Japanese audio, but maybe it was more apparent in the dub that he seemed to take more breathes while speaking his lines, as if he was truly sick. It only sometimes seemed "awkward" when he spoke Arrietty's name, but that may be because he spoke slowly and he may have been using honorifics in the Japanese audio. Sounded like he was saying something along the lines of Arrieh-T.

Other than that, I liked the dub. Bridget Mendler did very well.
Feb 17, 2012 4:56 PM

May 2011
I this cast did quite well, I haven't seen it in Japanese yet but plan to though.

Feb 17, 2012 7:31 PM
Jul 2018
Haven't watched with Japanese audio, but the English dub was pretty decent.
Feb 17, 2012 8:56 PM

Jul 2010
Loved the dub. Very good cast that fix each character perfectly. (very glad I got to see it in theaters)

ovoon7 said:
Carol Burnette being the crazy lady was perfect casting. However, Ponyo had Liam Neeson and that was a terrible dub. So how is this one?

Liam Neeson is epic. Ponyo was not a bad dub but that just my two cents.
How to Watch Naruto Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/LncQif
How to Watch Bleach Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/y0UQTO
Feb 18, 2012 2:40 PM

Feb 2012
ovoon7 said:

I loved Ponyo's dub. It was awesome.

This dub? It's good, but it's a little worse than some of the other Ghibli dubs. Some of the names were changed to be more Americanized and while the dubbers managed to blend their voices in with the characters quite seamlessly, I think I saw a few lip sync problems.
I Write About Anime (and other stuff) At Standing On My Neck
Feb 18, 2012 2:52 PM

Feb 2012
It's a typical Disney dub; I have no major qualms with it.

Flawfinder said:
I think I saw a few lip sync problems.

Then again, your name does happen to be "Flawfinder." ^_^
Feb 18, 2012 5:15 PM

May 2008
My only complaint of this movie at the moment was the Americanization of Shou's & Sadako's names. Beyond that, I have none as I haven't seen the Japanese version yet.

BTW, I wasn't confused by Carol Burnette's voice and found her to be absolutely perfect for her role in this movie.

Feb 19, 2012 8:57 PM

Dec 2009
I had no problems with the dub. In fact, it was really, really good. The voices matched the characters and nothing was out of place as far as I could tell.
I really couldn't be bothered to come up with a clever signature at this time. So right now I will go ahead and say nay and move on with my business
Feb 25, 2012 5:54 PM

Jul 2008
British dub > American dub

YEAHHHHH.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Jun 7, 2012 6:26 PM
May 2012
The dub was pretty good but a lot of the voice actors were Americans putting on fake English accents which I believe may be part of what made the pronunciations seem more awkward. Or maybe it's just that Shou was suppose to sound sick, but to me it sounded more like he had something in his mouth while he spoke.
Jun 22, 2012 4:21 PM

Oct 2011
Touka said:
British dub > American dub

YEAHHHHH.
This.
The Disney dub made it seem more for children.

I saw both versions, and heard all three versions.

UK dub>Disney dub.
Feb 10, 2013 8:56 AM

Apr 2012
Saw the UK dub - mostly pretty good... I thought Pod sounded unusually menacing but then I realised it was Mark Strong voicing him, so maybe it was just my subconscious. He was playing a gruff, taciturn character and he seemed to be deliberately matching all his lines up with the animated mouth movements, so I cant fault him for effort, it just came out a bit monotonous.
Anyway, Mark Strong's pretty great normally, though I'm a long-time Arrested Development fan so would've loved to have heard Will Arnett! Can imagine he'd be totally different.

Thought the music was horribly sickly though.
Feb 10, 2013 9:06 AM

Apr 2012
eh I'm trying to edit my post but sometimes it's here sometimes it's not... dumb forum

anyway synching isn't that important to me in a dub, but I appreciate the effort. Speech patterns are bound to be different in Japanese, that's a given. Sometimes it's best to go with what's natural.
Feb 10, 2013 9:12 AM
May 2012
I just finished watching it in subs. There wasn't a whole lot of dialog.

Bridgit Mendler and David Henry are the VAs for the dub, so it might be decent, though Disney does kind of suck.
Apr 22, 2013 2:02 PM
Apr 2008
I've compared the first few minutes of this film in English (UK), English (US), French, and Japanese.

UK dub is phenomenal; US dub is terrible. I might actually prefer the UK dub over the Japanese dub. The UK dub did a remarkable job at capturing the atmosphere of Arrietty, and stuck to the original Japanese script to boot; the US dub took so many liberties with the script that it ended up portraying a completely different atmosphere: you can definitely feel the 'Hollywood' influence in the US dub.

Unfortunately, my French is practically non-existent, but it is definitely better than the abomination that is the US dub.
Mar 1, 2014 7:43 PM

Oct 2012
I haven't seen the dub.
Apr 16, 2014 9:14 PM
Jan 2008
I haven't seen the UK dub, so I won't compare Disney's dub with that, but I mostly found the Arrietty dub to be really good. I liked Bridget Mendler as Arrietty and Carol Burnett; both were great, as was Emily Homily. David Henrie also wasn't TOO bad as Shawn. Granted he DOES sound a bit too mature, but I was fine with him.

My only quibbles, though, are some mis-synched and/or stiff-sounding lines and the second half of the closing credits getting a forgettable pop song, but on the whole I thought it was a solid dub. Much better than the lamer Wind Rises dub anyway.
Jan 23, 2017 1:36 PM
Jan 2017
Just watched the UK dub and thought it was amazing. The voices for all the characters suited very well.
Jan 23, 2017 1:39 PM

Apr 2016
The Dub was pretty decent, even though his voice is really noticeable it is not even that bad.
May 4, 2017 11:33 PM

May 2010
Ok, so they did change it to Shawn. I thought I might have been mishearing a really terrible pronunciation. What the fuck? I thought they stopped doing that crap a decade ago. Pathetic.

The acting was decent though. I was afraid Amy Poeller was going to make it all about her but she wasn't too distracting. I enjoyed it.
"My only agenda is to eviscerate any who might try to rule over and control me"- Sousuke Aizen

"Maybe, just maybe, there is no purpose in life... but if you linger a while longer in this world, you might discover something of value in it"- Orochimaru

"All men are not created equal... both in birth and in upbringing, in sheer scope of ability, every human is inherently different"- Charles zi Britannia

We are the Contra Mundi. We serve the great inimical Goddess who in her own time will destroy the world. Tremble, reprobates, in fear of her pitiless gaze.
Mar 6, 2021 4:01 PM

Mar 2016
I watched the uk dub really nice, it was one of my first animes.

just wanna feel wanted by someone other than the police 😫

More topics from this board

Poll: » Karigurashi no Arrietty Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

rctgamer3 - Mar 9, 2011

166 by _MushiRock11_ »»
Sep 7, 12:28 PM

» Update on Sho after the movie's end

mangalicker94 - Dec 16, 2023

3 by johneaston »»
Dec 17, 2023 6:33 AM

» Absolutely perfect for people starting watching anime with J-subs

RudeRedis - Jul 8, 2023

2 by HinataaRei »»
Jul 13, 2023 11:41 AM

» The Secret World of Arriety ..... Music Video?

mylovelyfate - Mar 9, 2012

5 by Umbrya »»
Mar 9, 2012 3:42 PM

» Just Saw this in Theatres

Rasco - Feb 28, 2012

2 by Rasco »»
Mar 4, 2012 11:00 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.