Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 29, 1:48 PM

Aug 2021
Does the universe have a center?Or is it infinite and has no origin? What do you think?

Sep 29, 1:59 PM

Sep 2024
This is highly debated but the universe does not have a center, it depends on what you think but I think the universe is infinite. Nobody really knows the truth about this. It really depends on what you believe and know to make your inference on this.
"When clouds appear, wise men put on their cloaks;
When great leaves fall, the winter is at hand;
When the sun sets, who doth not look for night?
Untimely storms make men expect a dearth."

William Shakespeare
Sep 29, 2:13 PM

Dec 2015
I wasn't reading nor going in deep with astronomy to be sure but if the light/universe after big bang spreads to all directions in the same constant speed than the epicenter of that explosion should be the center of the whole universe, I wrote if it has the constant speed as I recall hearing/reading somewhere that the speed of universe expanding is decreasing tho I am not sure for that information.

Besides that I also think that the center of galaxies/some galaxies are the black holes, no idea if it's the case for every galaxy - than maybe the theory/idea of the biggest/largest black hole in whole universe might be in the center of universe?
Sep 29, 2:16 PM

Sep 2016
Having a center would require a spacial boundary, but there's no proof yet that the universe has such a boundary.

ZarutakuSep 29, 3:54 PM
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Sep 29, 2:23 PM

Jul 2021
The center of the universe is Mongolia, specifically this statue of a cock in the middle of it marks the precise center of our universe
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kharkhorin_Rock
Sep 29, 3:17 PM

May 2020
I guess it depends what you mean by center. If the universe is infinite spacially then obviously it doesnt. But for example, maybe space goes on forever but the actual matter that we can find in the universe is denser around some point and gets sparser as you move away from that point. Even if the universe is infinite, in this case you could maybe define a "centre" for the universe (e.g. the centre of gravity of the universe) much in the same way we assign convergent infinite series a value.

If you ask me, one thing that is worth considering is that "distance" is relative to the speed of the measurer, in particular, at relativistic speeds distances shrink from your perspective. Apparently if you could go exactly at the speed of light, the whole universe would be squished onto a single point (but it is impossible for anything with mass to reach the speed of light since that would require infinite energy). I don't know if you can really draw any conclusions from this but to me it seems like maybe from a certain point of view on a cosmological scale the question of "what is the centre of the universe" is somewhat ill defined.
Sep 29, 10:05 PM

Jun 2019
Laymen should be banned from discussing scientific topics. It is possible to define a notion of centre of mass in certain infinite universes, so unboundedness has little to do with this question...

Zarutaku said:
Having a center would require a spacial boundary, but there's no proof yet that the universe has such a boundary.

Another senseless claim. A possible construction (that works in a natural class of asymptotically flat spaces) uses a foliation by constant mean curvature surfaces (say M(t), t>0) that is unique at infinity. The centre of the universe is then given by the limit (you have to prove that it exists of course) of the centre of gravity of the leaf M(t) as the parameter t diverge to infinity.
Sep 29, 11:41 PM

Dec 2013
I am actually blind to this topic and almost never or want to question myself about this, since my life already has lots of problems, mainly health problem. But I would try to answer this anyway (a layman answer):

Geometric wise:
If the center means where the universe begins, and now keep expanding, it has to expand exactly at the same rate in every direction such that it is circle, and thus the center would still be the center with respect to the perimeter of the expanded universe. Which I think perhaps would be unlikely. If the universe is expanded in different rate in every direction, and that rate might change as well, then at one direction would be more expanded relative to other directions with respect to the center point. But then that center point is not the center point anymore, because different shape has different centroid, and in this case, the center point would change every incremental second depending on the expanded form the universe takes at that particular second.

But if it's not about geometry, but simply the origin. Then I think there is, but it is difficult perhaps to trace where it was.

Sep 29, 11:58 PM

Aug 2024
Isn't the universe continuously expanding? So it keeps on moving i think
Sep 30, 12:35 AM

Jun 2024
The center of the universe is obviously [REDACTED].
Sep 30, 2:42 AM
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
Nobody knows, the physicists are just making up bullshit theories to pretend like they're doing the humanity a favor. Everything the physics could have solved, we've already solved. The rest is impossible to solve and we're wasting resources.
Sep 30, 2:53 AM

Jan 2009
no one knows heck google why modern science thinks the universe is flat
Sep 30, 4:59 AM

Nov 2018
The center is where the observer is when they look out into space. The universe may be many orders of magnitude bigger than it is today, but not enough time has passed to see if that's the case, nor can we prove it due to the speed of light being the limiting factor.

If the universe appears to be the same size when on another planet 10 billion light years away, then it doesn't matter where you are in the universe, you are in the center of the observable universe because the particle horizon remains the same (due to Hubble expansion).
MAL EMOJIS - Get your specially formatted emojis for MAL forums.

Sep 30, 11:45 AM

Sep 2016
Meusnier said:
A possible construction (that works in a natural class of asymptotically flat spaces) uses a foliation by constant mean curvature surfaces (say M(t), t>0) that is unique at infinity. The centre of the universe is then given by the limit (you have to prove that it exists of course) of the centre of gravity of the leaf M(t) as the parameter t diverge to infinity.

Perhaps I misphrased that, what is mean is the boundary of the mass-energy distribution and where it's located right now, if it exists.
Regarding that supposed centre I would like to follow up and ask if it changes with further space discovery.
Sep 30, 11:49 AM

Jul 2007
Incredibly enough it's centred exactly on my anus. I'm afraid I don't understand the reasons myself but I can assure you that it's the truth.
Sep 30, 11:57 AM

Jan 2009
if your egoistic then you are the center of the universe as the saying goes
Sep 30, 9:32 PM

Aug 2014
I am the center of the universe. No, really...I'm not just being smug. AI agrees with me. hehe

"According to current cosmological understanding, every point in space can be considered the "center" of the universe because the universe is expanding uniformly in all directions, meaning there is no single point that can be defined as the center; from any point in the universe, it will appear as if everything is moving away from you equally.

Key points to remember:
No central point:
The Big Bang is not visualized as an explosion from a single point in space, but rather as the expansion of space itself, happening everywhere at once.
Uniform expansion:
As the universe expands, the distance between any two points in space increases proportionally, making it seem like every point is the center.
Observational evidence:
This concept is supported by astronomical observations, which show that galaxies are moving away from each other at speeds proportional to their distance, regardless of our location."

In other words, the center is everywhere or nowhere, depending on how you think about it. For a more technical explanation:
https://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/GR/centre.html
https://astro.ucla.edu/~wright/nocenter.html
https://astro.ucla.edu/~wright/cosmo_02.htm
SmugSatokoSep 30, 10:25 PM
Sep 30, 11:13 PM

Mar 2008
You first would have to determine the shape of the universe.
Yesterday, 1:59 PM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
Yeah, I think the universe does have a center, but I could be wrong.
4 hours ago

Jun 2019
Zarutaku said:
Meusnier said:
A possible construction (that works in a natural class of asymptotically flat spaces) uses a foliation by constant mean curvature surfaces (say M(t), t>0) that is unique at infinity. The centre of the universe is then given by the limit (you have to prove that it exists of course) of the centre of gravity of the leaf M(t) as the parameter t diverge to infinity.

Perhaps I misphrased that, what is mean is the boundary of the mass-energy distribution and where it's located right now, if it exists.
Regarding that supposed centre I would like to follow up and ask if it changes with further space discovery.

My point is that you do not need a notion of boundary to define a centre. The centre, if it existed, would not stay at the same place all the time. But to be honest, I am not sure how relevant this concept is in physics.
3 hours ago

Jan 2022
Our universe is a weird mirror universe that un-mirrors and mirrors all the time. Basically imagine Ant-Man in New York shrinks down to the quantum realm but eventually ends up in New York again by shrinking all the way.
It's all a stupid vesica piscis.
LenRea2 hours ago
3 hours ago

Sep 2016
Reply to Meusnier
Zarutaku said:
Meusnier said:

My point is that you do not need a notion of boundary to define a centre. The centre, if it existed, would not stay at the same place all the time. But to be honest, I am not sure how relevant this concept is in physics.
@Meusnier But defining that centre would require to know the centre of gravity you mentioned, and that would require to know the location of all mass and energy, right? Assuming there's a finite amount, wouldn't that imply there's a border beyond which no mass and energy is located?
3 hours ago

Apr 2024
Yeah and the center of the universe is me.
Currently madly in love with my babygirl Laura Kinney💛💛 (yes i'm horny)
3 hours ago

Jun 2019
Zarutaku said:
@Meusnier But defining that centre would require to know the centre of gravity you mentioned, and that would require to know the location of all mass and energy, right? Assuming there's a finite amount, wouldn't that imply there's a border beyond which no mass and energy is located?

Not if the universe is infinite. The mass would only decrease to 0 as you escape towards infinity.
1 hour ago

Nov 2011
Yea, the universe has a center.

宇宙の中心はここね!
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language

More topics from this board

» Is the English language over?

LenRea - 3 hours ago

17 by Soverign »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » would you want leaders to be more idealistic or more realistic?

deg - Today

19 by traed »»
13 minutes ago

» Tell me about your niche hobby ( 1 2 )

Commit_Crime - Sep 1

57 by Commit_Crime »»
28 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you date an autist?

Ejrodiew - 3 hours ago

13 by TheBlockernator »»
45 minutes ago

» Do you like taking photographs/recording vids and uploading it online?

DesuMaiden - Sep 27

42 by DesuMaiden »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.