Forum Settings
Forums
New
4 hours ago

Jul 2023
After coming to mal, I often saw people saying, "Do you know, what harem actually is?" Questions and debate but in the end result there is no definite answer in any of the discussion. Now, anyone can ask, "why didn't you google?" I already done checking and on the research, I also checked google recs and mal recs (honestly I done this long ago). But now I'm kind of lost 'cuz someone told me to learn what harem actually is. From there I am curious that am I watching wrong or anything. So, I like to let know what I know/ think about Harem and what you think or define harem.

Definition- A genre what is complete fiction and where the protagonist, often male, pursued by multiple love interest and which is built with romantic and comedic situation.

Nisekoi, How raise a boring Girlfriend, School Rumble, Domestic girlfriend- is those are Harem? correct me if I am wrong, plz.
(this is from my recent harem recommendation in mal where I am questioned.)
Talent is something to nurture, and wisdom is something to hone

4 hours ago

May 2019
Harem is one boy and very many multiple girls who seek his attention and affection.

3 hours ago

Feb 2023
I'm not sure if there even is a clear definition for the genre between anime fans, because I see the word being used for everything between "MC just has a lot of characters of the opposite sex around them" and "MC having multiple romantic/sexual relationships at the same time". Sometimes, harem also seems to be used as a synonym for Love Poligons.

It can be arbitrary, so the context is very important (in the case of the harem recommendation discussion, something that is on a similar level as Quintessential Quintuplets)

For me personally, just having multiple girls compete for a boy doesn't make it a harem, it needs some more spice. Haven't really heard this anywhere before, but I'd say that the boy should actually be in love with multiple of the girls, otherwise it's not a harem (edit: This is definitely not the common definition though, it's usually enough if he just has multiple romantic encounters with them).
I haven't watched the anime you're ve listed so I don't know if I would count them or not.
Vaturna2 hours ago
2 hours ago

May 2024
These days a male protagonist even having more than 1 female friend around them is considered a harem. Which is fucking stupid to me how people have no general concept of friendships with the opposite sex. They just view every girl around the protagonist as a love interest. And tbh I do get it to a certain degree, cuz there are authors who literally make every girl available in a story a love interest for their protagonist, but it has literally ruined the word harem for me and made the genre completely ambiguous.
36 minutes ago

Sep 2018
Considering that Rent a Girlfriend is tagged as harem even if the fact that all the girls want the mc is kinda debatable, the only way to define the genre is: subgenre of romance with a flock of girls around the mc.
30 minutes ago

Mar 2023
Harems nowadays means the MC hangs out with more than two people from the opposite sex.
29 minutes ago

May 2023
Well the meaning of the word at its origins and the one assigned to it as a genre are vastly different... As for how I define the 'harem' genre, it'd be a plot setting where more than two characters are actively romantically engaged with the main character (where active romantic engagement means that the characters are obviously contending for a romantic relationship with the MC).. so I'd not consider Domestic Girlfriend as a harem anime..
18 minutes ago

Oct 2015
3+ love interests and no resolution.
11 minutes ago

Jan 2018
females fighting for holy chunchumaru that mc possess so mc is forced to go into training arc. mc holds breath to avoid detection as to not breathe the same air as those pursuers.

mc travel to east to meet eastern one and so on and so forth until one of them turned into yandere to kill him

harem is like a chance for me to see some comedy where i hope mc at least have proper human quality instead of being treated like a plot device. my gripes with harem show is certain character is forced to have severe flaws in order to keep the show appropriate or stick to the plot which is not fun to see. stick to the plot as in what heroine c says does not hold weight because she's not the chosen one by author so it gets swept under rug like nothing happened.

usually it's open harem without showing anything substantial so everyone wins, well they can always improve on their creative writing. i do not fret what harem should entails, it's just an aspect of story that can always be molded into something different.

More topics from this board

» Any anime you watched had you feeling empty after it ended?

ZeroMajor12 - Jul 23

13 by hazecloud »»
4 minutes ago

» I just completed my 800th anime

Raiyuza - 9 hours ago

40 by Otakupervert890 »»
15 minutes ago

Poll: » when you think of "character development", which characters pop in your head the first ?

ame - 4 hours ago

9 by Guilmon1 »»
17 minutes ago

» When is it safe to approach?

SgtBateMan - Yesterday

24 by Zarutaku »»
45 minutes ago

» What do today's anime do better compared to older anime?

MizunoWaveRider - Yesterday

20 by MizunoWaveRider »»
55 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.