Forum Settings
Forums

Do you play games in which you have to actually work to make it playable?

New
Jun 12, 4:13 AM

Aug 2022
Like you have a total of 60 hours of gameplay, consisting of approximately 30 hours of trying to make it work and modding it so it's playable, 10 hours of crashing to desktop, and 20 hours of actual gameplay
Mao said:
If you have to shit, shit! If you have to fart, fart!
Jun 12, 4:22 AM

Dec 2015
Never experienced such games as every single one of them works, some slower some smoothly as my pc isn't that good. It would be a stupid move to buy a game which doesn't work and not even refund that.
Jun 13, 3:53 AM

Jul 2021
No I don't. I once spent like 3 days modding Skyrim to my liking, and then only played it for a couple hours.
So I don't think that counts as playing Skyrim. It was fun though.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jun 13, 6:11 AM

Jul 2010
The best effort for me when it comes to mods is steam workshop and download click, and downloading faces and logos for Football Manager every other year. More than that would be too much pain. I just enjoy vanilla games.
Jun 18, 8:50 PM

Apr 2024
I mean, I had some fun setting up a Saturn emulator and testing ROMs to see if they worked properly, but I don't have anything resembling OP's experience with a game, hardly at all.
"Dreams are worth fighting for"
Backloggery | YouTube | Heatmap
Jun 18, 10:38 PM

Jun 2016
Reply to JaniSIr
No I don't. I once spent like 3 days modding Skyrim to my liking, and then only played it for a couple hours.
So I don't think that counts as playing Skyrim. It was fun though.
@JaniSIr 3 days is nothing, I once spent 3 YEARS reverse-engineering a dead multi-follower/follower diaglogue overhaul mod to work with the Dawnguard and Dragonborn using my knowledge of programming syntax. I also spent that time making my own quest mod and adding a bunch of other stuff. This was with the Legendary Edition, though I did recently try out Special Edition and spent almost 2 weeks getting that one to my liking.
Jun 19, 7:17 AM

Feb 2016
No, I play on consoles in order to avoid that.
その目だれの目?
Jun 19, 7:20 AM

Jul 2013
I enjoy playing Hyperdimension Neptunia. It is my favorite JRPG btw.
Jun 19, 7:49 AM

Feb 2020
When I owned a Sinclair ZX Spectrum+2 I'd have to use run codes on the game cassettes to boot them (if they even booted) and wait maybe 5 minutes to see if it was successful.
Also some of Atari ST & Philips CD-i games have parental/anti-piracy codes to enter before you can play certain games. But other than that nah.
Jun 19, 7:52 AM

Sep 2018
As an eroge gamer yes.
Princesses never lose had a update to softlock the game so I had to update it by finding the patch
Tsukihime psp (the r18 version) had me go to the code script file to allow me to access the kohaku route. Luckily I succeeded there.
Ect
Jun 19, 8:08 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to Lost_Viking
@JaniSIr 3 days is nothing, I once spent 3 YEARS reverse-engineering a dead multi-follower/follower diaglogue overhaul mod to work with the Dawnguard and Dragonborn using my knowledge of programming syntax. I also spent that time making my own quest mod and adding a bunch of other stuff. This was with the Legendary Edition, though I did recently try out Special Edition and spent almost 2 weeks getting that one to my liking.
@Lost_Viking I didn't make my own mods from scratch, I just modified this an that. Besides that 3 days was for a rather low effort Enderal playthrough.
For the rest I usually had large list of mods downloaded already, so didn't start from scratch.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jun 19, 8:42 AM

Dec 2022
That's modding any Bethesda game in a nutshell. If you can actually set up a proper modlist and finish a playthrough, then they're loads of fun, but it's a huge "if". There's always the possibility of random stuttering or CTDs ruining your save when you have over a hundred or so mods, and these issues might not even rear their ugly little heads until you're hundreds of hours into it.

Shaded Horizon

Jun 19, 11:12 AM

May 2013
It took me only an hour to get Oblivion up and running with mods.

Sounds like a skill issue.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Jun 20, 8:17 AM

Oct 2009
Skyrim VR needs a heavy amount of modding before it's playable.

Jun 21, 5:47 AM

Jun 2016
If you count pre 1.7 PCSX2 as one game then yes. Each game required its own combination of plug ins and settings for optimal performance but I still used it. Current builds work out of the box 99% of the time.
I don't put Bethesda games in that category because the base product is mostly playable and the mods required to fix all the inconveniences (bugs, crashes, UI) can be installed in 10 minutes. I have spent hours installing mods on Bethesda games but most were expanding the game, not fixing it.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jun 22, 8:59 PM

Oct 2017
lmao yeah

Some that come to mind:

• Princess maker 2, sometimes DOS games are so annoying to run well on windows (without emulators)
  • Waku Waku 7, MAME is such a weird emulator I swear even when I got the game working I didn't know what I was doing
  • Custom Order maid 3D2, anyone who has played this one knows

Jun 24, 11:08 AM

Oct 2022
Yeah

I play on Linux so anything out of steam usually requires a little of work or just investigation to make it flawlessly work.

I also played heavy modified version of New Vegas and DooM, so I’m used to spent time refining my game.

Now I think it is fair to add ArmA 3, I play a lot on the editor, so I have to build my scenario so I can play it later on
Jun 24, 5:13 PM

Jun 2024
I've never played Bethesda games modded, crazy, I know.

I guess maybe Warframe and MapleStory, with the amount of farming and grinding I needed. It was fun while I played them years ago.
Jun 24, 11:05 PM

Jul 2019
Skyrim. I've probably spent 60% Browsing nexus for mods, 30% Installing it, fixing bugs, checking compabilities, Installing another required mod, in other to get other mods working. 10% playing the actual game.

I had a similar case playing Dragon Age : Origins, but less extreme.

Still had a blast playing those games though !!
I opened two gifts this morning and they were my eyes

How lucky am I to live another day in this body?

Jun 28, 7:23 PM

Oct 2011
such is the life of a linux gamer
Jun 28, 8:17 PM
best user ever

May 2022
Yeah, for certain visual novels, but it's only like 30 minutes to 1 hour maximum for me.

More topics from this board

» California’s new law forces digital stores to admit you’re just licensing content, not buying it

deg - Yesterday

14 by KenaiPhoenix »»
1 hour ago

» What's the most obscure game you've ever played?

karioka- - Aug 16

29 by FanofAction »»
3 hours ago

» Thoughts on Zelda/Switch games?

coolyfruity - Sep 25

7 by rohan121 »»
3 hours ago

» Google's new product, NotebookLM, makes fake podcasts from just text files, and...

Daviljoe193 - Sep 16

7 by Kurt_Irving »»
4 hours ago

» What are some games you think fell off the hardest over the years?

Thy-Veseveia - Sep 8

25 by Kurt_Irving »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.