Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 23, 6:59 AM

Jan 2022
Stuff like DGM or the new seasonal anime Kaii to Otome to Kamikakushi
I believe these spooky anime are really nice, goth, esoteric, and fun. I could be wrong.
LenReaMay 23, 7:28 AM
May 23, 7:08 AM

Sep 2016
Mushishi is kinda spooky, but highly rated.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 23, 7:33 AM

Jan 2022
Reply to Zarutaku
Mushishi is kinda spooky, but highly rated.
@Zarutaku I haven't watched it so I wouldn't know.
Also, why is it tagged "Iyashikei"? Doesn't this tag only exist after that frieren/dungeon meshi cringe thing? Am I wrong and it's always been there and I'm just too new to know this? Lol.
May 23, 7:43 AM

Aug 2013
"Why Don't You Watch More Spooky Anime?"

Because adult diapers are expensive you know?

I watched Shiki which was enjoyable, but not scary at all.
I don't know who quotes me and then deletes the comment, but know that you make my day.

STEAM's GOTY 2024 the Ghost of Tsushima

OMFG THE HYPE IS REAL!!! ELDEN RING SHADOW OF THE ERDTREE wOOt!! F YEAH LET'S F GOOOOOO!!!
May 23, 7:45 AM

Sep 2016
Reply to LenRea
@Zarutaku I haven't watched it so I wouldn't know.
Also, why is it tagged "Iyashikei"? Doesn't this tag only exist after that frieren/dungeon meshi cringe thing? Am I wrong and it's always been there and I'm just too new to know this? Lol.
@LenRea Iyashikei fits well because Mushishi is calm, peaceful, relaxing and wholesome (despite being kinda spooky).
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 23, 8:19 AM

Jun 2011
Thank you for the recommendation, I will keep an eye on those.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
May 23, 8:35 AM

Oct 2019
there are just not that many good ones out there.

Give me an anime that looks like bloodborne, and I'll watch it first thing tomorrow morning.

I'm watching mysterious disappearances... it's kinda mid

Honestly, anime horror is at it's best with body horror. Unironically the best horror anime that I have seen is made in abyss. specially golden city of the scorching sun.

Made in abyss spoilers:

APolygons2May 23, 8:39 AM
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
May 23, 8:37 AM
Simp4DemonGirls

Oct 2018
While Mushishi does have a slow pace & it’s true that the mushi aren’t purposefully malicious, there’s still too much nightmare fuel (memorably the ep with the mushi that eats light living in the girl’s eye & also Ginko’s origin ep) in it for me to personally consider it Iyashikei.

Some titles I consider spooky & enjoyed:
Mushishi
Mysterious Disapperances
xxxHolic
Ghost Hound
Midnight Occult Civil Servants
In/Spectre
Mieruko-chan
OhayotakuMay 23, 8:53 AM
May 23, 8:47 AM

Nov 2021
Almost every time there is a good sounding, or good starting spooky anime, it craps the bed. Shiki was great for the first half, the second half was meh. Elfen Lied and Kyokou Suiri are two of the worst anime ever created. Some good ones though are Shinreigari, the original Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, Mushishi if you count that. Another problem with the horror tag is how flippantly it's thrown around... search the horror list on MAL and 9/10 of the series with the tag aren't even intended to be scary.
Taiga best girl forever.
May 23, 8:57 AM

Oct 2013
D.Gray-man isn't that spooky though, and I say that as a fan of the anime. As for that other one, I can tell you right now I'm not going to watch it for two big reasons, and neither is because it's spooky.....It's her boobs. Just gunna come out and say it, way too big for me from what I saw. If a series is labeled "ecchi" I gotta like what I see. And again, doesn't look that spooky.

I don't really think there's many anime I would find spooky though. Made in Abyss was mentioned, but that's more disturbing than spooky or scary.
May 23, 9:02 AM
Simp4DemonGirls

Oct 2018
Reply to Subarctic-Forest
Almost every time there is a good sounding, or good starting spooky anime, it craps the bed. Shiki was great for the first half, the second half was meh. Elfen Lied and Kyokou Suiri are two of the worst anime ever created. Some good ones though are Shinreigari, the original Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, Mushishi if you count that. Another problem with the horror tag is how flippantly it's thrown around... search the horror list on MAL and 9/10 of the series with the tag aren't even intended to be scary.
I personally consider “horror” to be different than “spooky”. For me at least, I think the level of violence & how graphic is a distinguishing characteristic.
May 23, 10:11 AM

Jul 2021
Because I'm only mildly and occasionally interested in spooky and horror genres in general, and I don't see any anime that catches my eye and pushes me to start watching. And since I'm not too interested to begin with, I don't feel like doing research or randomly trying out a few episodes.

More people would be watching spooky anime if the industry makes more of them, preferably good ones. I did notice Kaii to Otome to Kamikakushi, but the fan-service aspect put me off; I'm not sure why anime keeps doing this with their horror shows.

Uzumaki might change things for me, but we'll see. The trailer looked amazing and very different.
May 23, 10:14 AM

Mar 2013
Exactly how many horror or creepy anime are there? Not very much. Closest would be Jujutsu Kaisen for me in terms of recent anime, but horror is not that common a genre in anime for reasons I am not entirely sure of.
May 23, 11:30 AM

Jan 2022
Reply to FanofAction
D.Gray-man isn't that spooky though, and I say that as a fan of the anime. As for that other one, I can tell you right now I'm not going to watch it for two big reasons, and neither is because it's spooky.....It's her boobs. Just gunna come out and say it, way too big for me from what I saw. If a series is labeled "ecchi" I gotta like what I see. And again, doesn't look that spooky.

I don't really think there's many anime I would find spooky though. Made in Abyss was mentioned, but that's more disturbing than spooky or scary.
FanofAction said:
D.Gray-man isn't that spooky though

The Level 4 Akuma is a type of incomprehensible horror that should have never been allowed to manifest in a drawing, let alone a shonen jump show. Please don't say it's not spooky.
May 23, 11:38 AM

Oct 2013
Reply to LenRea
FanofAction said:
D.Gray-man isn't that spooky though

The Level 4 Akuma is a type of incomprehensible horror that should have never been allowed to manifest in a drawing, let alone a shonen jump show. Please don't say it's not spooky.
@LenRea It kinda gives creepy doll vibes, but personally I think the most "spooky" part about it is that it seems to have nipples. Those nips will haunt me way more than the thing itself.
May 23, 11:43 AM
Aug 2018
I love me some anime recommendations!
May 23, 11:45 AM

Jan 2022
Reply to FanofAction
@LenRea It kinda gives creepy doll vibes, but personally I think the most "spooky" part about it is that it seems to have nipples. Those nips will haunt me way more than the thing itself.
@FanofAction there's more to it than just being a creepy doll, it is uncanny in many ways and just simply shouldn't fucking exist, even as a concept imo. But yeah, if you actually watch the episodes this thing appears in you'd get it. (Hallow completely ruined it tho)
May 23, 11:54 AM

Jun 2014
most of it isnt good, nor actually spooky
May 23, 11:58 AM

Oct 2013
Reply to LenRea
@FanofAction there's more to it than just being a creepy doll, it is uncanny in many ways and just simply shouldn't fucking exist, even as a concept imo. But yeah, if you actually watch the episodes this thing appears in you'd get it. (Hallow completely ruined it tho)
@LenRea Oh I have watched it. And I do think it's uncanny as well. I just wasn't that intimidated by it compared to the others. But I thought that was the point. To be this weird unassuming baby thing, but in actuality be really powerful.Kinda like fat Buu and Kid Buu in DBZ.
May 23, 11:59 AM

Feb 2024
Reply to APolygons2
there are just not that many good ones out there.

Give me an anime that looks like bloodborne, and I'll watch it first thing tomorrow morning.

I'm watching mysterious disappearances... it's kinda mid

Honestly, anime horror is at it's best with body horror. Unironically the best horror anime that I have seen is made in abyss. specially golden city of the scorching sun.

Made in abyss spoilers:

@APolygons2 Just in case you are interested in body horror (by a chance), I recommend to check some manga for that, it gives you a way better immersion than what anime can offer. Start here and follow recommendations. It's not like it can compete real art on the subject, but it has some satisfying graphical side at least.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
May 23, 12:15 PM

Feb 2024
@LenRea And what is the difference between "spooky" and "horror" by the way? Do you mean more of Blair Witch/The Ring/REC or a Human Centipede/Hostel/Antichrist type of things? I wish to see some anime similar to the second category, would be grateful for any suggestions.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
May 23, 12:20 PM

Jul 2013
I don't like spooky anime. It is that simple.
May 23, 1:08 PM

Feb 2024
Subarctic-Forest said:
Elfen Lied и Kyokou Suiri — два худших аниме, когда-либо созданных
If you perceive Elfien Lied only as a bloody horror film, then you are either a child or a person incapable of empathy
May 23, 4:28 PM

Jan 2022
Reply to LoveYourSmile
@LenRea And what is the difference between "spooky" and "horror" by the way? Do you mean more of Blair Witch/The Ring/REC or a Human Centipede/Hostel/Antichrist type of things? I wish to see some anime similar to the second category, would be grateful for any suggestions.
@LoveYourSmile I mean spooky more focused on ghostly/mysterious/supernatural element and not what you mentioned.
May 23, 5:02 PM

Nov 2021
Reply to Swyzen
Subarctic-Forest said:
Elfen Lied и Kyokou Suiri — два худших аниме, когда-либо созданных
If you perceive Elfien Lied only as a bloody horror film, then you are either a child or a person incapable of empathy
@Swyzen It says horror on the MAL page, take it up with them. It was also clearly trying to be scary at times, it's just not scary... no anime is.
Taiga best girl forever.
May 23, 5:27 PM

Jul 2016
Look at the mean score of it, most spoopy anime aren't that good.
May 24, 3:13 AM

Aug 2012
I've watched plenty of 'spooky' anime though. I kind of watch whatever appeals to me regardless of genre and so I never shy away from the 'spooky' shows. If you want recommendations though then try: Aoi Bungaku & Ayakashi: Japanese Classic Horror (the latter anime has the prequel to the Mononoke anime in it. Specifically the Bakeneko arc which is the best arc of what's been animated for the Mononoke series so far. IMO, anyway)
May 24, 3:54 AM

May 2014
I love spooky anime. The recent Dark Gathering anime was great, although it wasn't as creepy as the manga.
May 24, 4:10 AM

Feb 2024
Reply to Ohayotaku
While Mushishi does have a slow pace & it’s true that the mushi aren’t purposefully malicious, there’s still too much nightmare fuel (memorably the ep with the mushi that eats light living in the girl’s eye & also Ginko’s origin ep) in it for me to personally consider it Iyashikei.

Some titles I consider spooky & enjoyed:
Mushishi
Mysterious Disapperances
xxxHolic
Ghost Hound
Midnight Occult Civil Servants
In/Spectre
Mieruko-chan
@Ohayotaku
Ohayotaku said:
Midnight Occult State Servants
some kind of mixture of “Natsume’s Notebook of Friendship”, “Sullen Mononokean” and something else, I can’t remember.
Simple anime. The characters are not developed, the plot is weak and unfinished. Just a piece of something)
Look at it once and forget about it. And for those who are tired of action and battles.
May 24, 4:31 AM

Feb 2024
@Swyzen It says horror on the MAL page, take it up with them. It was also clearly trying to be scary at times, it's just not scary... no anime is.
@Subarctic-Forest Don't you have your own head on your shoulders? There's nowhere near horror and a rating of 17 doesn't always indicate a scary or shocking anime
May 24, 5:54 AM
Walpurgis

May 2023
I watch a lot of spooky anime, horror is my fave genre...
May 24, 5:55 AM

Feb 2020
Anime and horror doesn't mix so well imo.
May 24, 6:40 AM

Nov 2021
Reply to Swyzen
@Subarctic-Forest Don't you have your own head on your shoulders? There's nowhere near horror and a rating of 17 doesn't always indicate a scary or shocking anime
@Swyzen Of course I do, that's why I gave that trash can of an anime a 3/10.
Taiga best girl forever.

More topics from this board

» Making time to watch anime in daily life.

9765 - Jun 16

30 by SleepySera »»
1 minute ago

» Evangelion sucks

brainburger - 3 hours ago

39 by Lucifrost »»
3 minutes ago

» why are anime elves blonde/white haired?

Khashishi - 27 minutes ago

3 by SleepySera »»
5 minutes ago

» What is your favourite thing about Anime? and what is the anime that does this thing the best?

APolygons2 - 26 minutes ago

6 by Lucifrost »»
6 minutes ago

» the L word

SmugMiri - 1 hour ago

23 by Coaghim »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.