Forum Settings
Forums

Has there been an anime fanbase that hyped up their anime so much that you were turned off from watching it?

New
Apr 26, 1:59 PM

Apr 2024
✡ Self-explanatory question. ( I edit the topic because it seems the question wasn't clear.)

I was excited to check out Attack on Titan, but then I remembered the toxic fanbase.
Alpha_1_ZeroApr 26, 2:27 PM
Apr 26, 2:01 PM

Feb 2020
Nope. I don't care about toxic fanbases, MAL scores/ratings, IMDB ratings, etc. x3 I simply ignore them.
Apr 26, 2:02 PM

Nov 2019
Have you ever refused to watch an anime because of its toxic fanbase?

No fuck the fanbase gotta watch everything including boku no picco, fuck I care.
I am a COMPLETIONIST. Aiming to finish AS MANY ANIME as possible before DEATH, Despite them being SATISFACTORY or if they are BORING.

I WATCH THE LOWEST SCORED/RATED/RANKED ANIMES ON MAL (OR you can CALL THEM The WORST animes in the WORLD - No Joke Like Seriously)

No anime has actually satisfied my anime taste, That I can call a MasterPiece (10/10), still searching... hopefully one day I will find that show and obsess over it till I die.
RULE NO.4 I MUST WATCH ALL CONTENT FOR THE SERIES I HAVE FINISHED, NOW THIS ONE IS QUITE EXHILARATING.
Apr 26, 2:10 PM
Aug 2018
If you're not going to watch an anime just because of its toxic fan base, that's kind of weird, but that's up to you, I guess.
Apr 26, 2:10 PM

Aug 2011
No. It's easy to just watch an anime without interacting with fans, so a toxic fanbase wouldn't stop me from watching something I had a genuine interest in.
Apr 26, 2:12 PM
Oct 2019
No. I don't let a bad fandom turn me away from any media that I can consume without ever interacting with the fandom. I think it's stupid and childish to let people who you don't have to engage with in any capacity discourage you from enjoying something that you're looking forward to watching.
Apr 26, 2:17 PM

May 2021
No?
Just don’t interact with the fanbase and watch the show then?
Inhales oxygen
Apr 26, 6:50 PM

Apr 2024
No. It's easy to just watch an anime without interacting with fans, so a toxic fanbase wouldn't stop me from watching something I had a genuine interest in.
Apr 26, 6:57 PM

Sep 2014
Reply to Alpha_1_Zero
@Alpha_1_Zero Did you just reply to your own thread while also contradicting your op?
Apr 26, 6:59 PM

Sep 2022
No, I have never been turned off from watching an anime because of hype or the fanbase. The anime and the fans are two separate things.
Apr 26, 6:59 PM

Oct 2018
Reply to KryzakamiHrybami
@Alpha_1_Zero Did you just reply to your own thread while also contradicting your op?
@KryzakamiHrybami OP replied to engage but forgot to switch profiles.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Apr 26, 7:01 PM

Apr 2024
Reply to KryzakamiHrybami
@KryzakamiHrybami Well, since nobody else is responding to this thread, I'm doing it myself.
May 1, 2:49 AM

Nov 2019
JJK was the one for me, although I already watched S1 and the film, the season 2 hype just turned me away from watching it.
May 1, 2:53 AM

Sep 2016
Nope, I'm not that kind of contrarian, but another kind.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 1, 2:54 AM
Oct 2019
Jujutsu kaisen to the point that I rather wait the manga to be over then read it and then watch it. If in my years I did a mistake it was not to mute jujutsu kaisen but I had no idea it would be hyped that much back then.
May 1, 3:04 AM

Feb 2021
Nah, I'm used to avoiding the fanbases for shows I like while continuing to watch the shows. I actually started avoiding fanbases while watching shows before getting into anime when I found out how bad The Loud House fandom was in the late 2010s.
May 1, 3:06 AM

Mar 2024
Wow this thread has live character development
No I watch what interests me
May 1, 9:33 PM

Jul 2021
Might watch it anyways but Legend of Galactic Heroes, most of it's fans are fart sniffing elitists.
May 2, 12:32 AM

May 2018
Well, not in 100% of the cases, but there are some bad fandoms which are indicative of the show itself...so yeah, one should check everything they are interested in, but some premonitions will turn out to be true.
May 2, 12:50 AM
Dec 2021
Not exactly your question but I definitely expected more from One Piece after getting in to it and catching up with it. I feel like the fanbase makes it seem better that it is but which fanbase doesnt do that lol.

May 2, 12:53 AM

Nov 2023
Not really, its just most of the time they are the ones I forgot to continue
May 24, 9:23 PM

Aug 2019
It's more that if an anime gets really hyped up then the more I doubt I'm going to be that into it. I often don't click with what's being heralded as the best of that season.
May 24, 10:23 PM

Apr 2024
A friend of mine in college really wanted me to check out Attack on titan, so I haven't seen it out spite toward him specifically
"Dreams are worth fighting for"
May 24, 11:24 PM

May 2020
Closest one I have is Bungou stray dogs. It feels like for a time every youtuber under the sun had a sponsorship from crunchy roll, and they all were given the exact same lines to say "So what are you waiting for, you could be watching high quality anime right now, like Bungou stray dogs, one of my favourites...".

This alone would not deter me, but the funny thing is, I saw it happening again with season 2, and season 3.

Yeah, I don't know what it is, but seeing so many people shill a show, even if it was just a sideeffect of their sponsorship, created a negative ascociation in my mind.
May 25, 9:44 AM

Jul 2013
What makes you think its fan base is toxic??
May 25, 7:25 PM

Aug 2022
The opinions of a fanbase haven't dissuaded me from experiencing any form of entertainment.

Though, I can imagine if its somewhat analogous to how some Evangelion fans who like to dunk on Darling in the Franxx that fans of the latter might be peeved at the fan warfare.
May 25, 7:26 PM

Apr 2020
It shouldn't affect me...but everytime someone mentions the "gEniUS" dialogue of Monogatari I wanna throw up xD
May 25, 8:30 PM
Feb 2022
Jujutsu kaisen, Bocchi the rock, I'm so done with the gojo fans crying in the comments.
May 25, 9:01 PM

Feb 2021
just glazers, i'll watch the anime if i like it

May 25, 9:21 PM

Oct 2021
The closest for me would be Bocchi the Rock. I ended up watching it anyway, but it has such an awful fanbase that I couldn't help dissociate the two for a while.
May 26, 4:41 PM

Jul 2016
Don't pay attention to fan bases, if it seems good I'll watch it regardless.

More topics from this board

» Favorite openings of 2024 so far?

Fukoku - Jun 6

22 by Kruszer »»
6 minutes ago

» Would you quit Anime if Anime caters to the West?

Dragevard - Yesterday

36 by Lucifrost »»
8 minutes ago

» How do you behave in front of a cute girl

SgtBateMan - Today

42 by FanofAction »»
13 minutes ago

» Most Overrated Characters in the Top 50?

SamDaniel - Aug 3, 2021

46 by Mykasan »»
13 minutes ago

» Modern chill anime osts like these?

Atmogenic - 9 hours ago

6 by APolygons2 »»
45 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.