Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 13, 9:59 AM

Nov 2011
I read the manga version awhile ago and eh, this was an average start. Typical isekai fantasy stuff with jobs, an elf character, and the usual protagonist.

Shin himself isn't weak but his personality doesn't give a strong impression. That Tiera girl also seems to depend on Shin and didn't really stand out much. There were also some awkward moments between the two. But yeah, I felt underwhelmed in general.
Apr 13, 10:00 AM

Jul 2017
Yokohama Animation Lab and Cloud Hearts (same company) premiering this and Sasayaku Love Song at the same time, it's uncannily ironic.

That said, novelist Shinogi Kazanami's series has long since existed during SAO times, and to get yet another derivative of it, eh...

Shin is a Kirito wannabe in this SAO-derivative death game that has existed for time millennia, though he soon realizes that he's integrated right into the game's world since he can't log out of it. And he has to literally remember all of the NPCs he heard from before, plus his former group as well...with the fact that the game world he's in, has transcended 500 years into the future. But even things like black hair being a misfortune (which Tiera's hair certainly is NOT black), Shin giving her a parallel-coloured hair is better than nothing.

Shin having to navigate through the new old world to find out what's been changed, most certainly everything looks like it has been downgraded to create the new normal, which Shin is learning bit by bit. And he starts from the bottom once again, only to encounter a Skullface Jack to attack it with precision, landing that sword right at the kingdom's doors.

Ehh...could be something decent, or like SAO, crash and burn right at the get-go.
KANLen09Apr 22, 7:15 AM
Apr 13, 10:02 AM

Dec 2021
Novelist Shinogi Kazanami's interpretation of the entire SAO genre, or whatever you'd call it, isn't exactly hailed as groundbreaking, but it's not dismissed as generic either. Let's just wait and see.

THE NEW GATE—originally an online game—morphs into a life-or-death battleground for its players. With Shin, the most formidable among them, inching closer to victory, freedom appears imminent. However, as Shin triumphs over the game's ultimate foe, he's engulfed by an enigmatic light and thrust 500 years forward into the future of the game world. Catapulted from a virtual reality gone awry into an unfamiliar realm, a young swordsman of unparalleled might is poised to embark on a legendary odyssey.

Just another SAO ripoff... a bit late for that aren't we?

Apr 13, 11:09 AM
Jul 2023
Urmm…
I’ll stay for the elf waifu.
Apr 13, 11:12 AM
Feb 2018
Shin and Tiara herself both say that her hair is black, but it is shown to be dark blue. Is this a design error?

Other than that, I hope that Tiara gets a lot of screentime...
Apr 13, 11:27 AM
Sep 2015
So someone thinking of mixing generic virtual reality genre with generic isekai genre and expect the result will be something special? Turns out it's still generic anime. But it's not like I expect any originality from this genre. It's always come down to the production quality.
Apr 13, 11:40 AM
Dec 2018
what is the point of them not animating Tiera with black hair considering every scene she's in she shares with Shin? if they're going to change her hair colour, just change the dialogue, it wouldn't be the first change from the manga
Apr 13, 11:51 AM

Jan 2008
Wtf did they do to the character designs.
Apr 13, 11:53 AM
Nov 2021
What would happen if SAO would be cleared and the Mc would get transported to that world 500 years later? Thats what The New Gate is, but since I am not a big SAO fan, I do not love that idea and it seems like a very ordinary isekai, we'll see if this will be any good. First episode was ok, not really good or special, but not specifically bad either.
Apr 13, 12:00 PM
Sep 2016
Maybe this is nostalgia speaking, New Gate is literally the 2nd (or 3rd) japanese LN I've ever read oh so long ago afterall (I'm talking 10-ish years ago), but I'm utterly dissapointed in the adaptation quality, all writing, animation, and direction-wise. However, this is also nostalgia speaking, I don't think I'd stop watching its adaptation anyways.

PS: 6 high humans? Weren't they called The 9 Devas? It's been such a long time ago, I already forgot some of the details.
Python is the best programming language ever. FIGHT ME!
Apr 13, 12:03 PM
Aug 2011
look how they mascaraed my boy meme needed...it was not the best manga, but had good character design AND ENTERTAINMENT FIGHTS - POWER FANTASY .... anime is garbage Berserk level of tragic adaptation.
Apr 13, 12:16 PM

Jan 2017
The animation is horrible, the story is as much of a slop as it physically can be... And, for some strange reason, I still had fun watching it.
鬼に逢うては鬼を斬る
仏に逢うては仏を斬る
ツルギの理ここに在り
Apr 13, 12:25 PM
Apr 2023
not even 3 minute and it exactly SAO premise, Death game, can't Log out,etc... I thought it was a joke but it seems deadly serious using the same premise. welp we just see how this anime goes
Apr 13, 12:29 PM
Oct 2017
Gods this is so bad.
It's ugly (so ugly: bad copy-pasted decors, wrongly shaded characters)
The writing is extremely lazy.
The dialogues are pretty lame (cringe even)

The scenes are ridiculous if you can't turn your brain off. (You tell me that huge boar wasn't visible from afar? It only works if you only see the point of view of the camera.)

The money 'value' scene felt childishly ridiculous.
It is clearly established he has only "special" money. You are telling me the guild registration fee is close to 10 billions jules? If not where did he find proper money? Again, it makes no sense. Same for how he paid for food.

The letter of introduction mechanism is equally brain-dead. The protagonist obviously don't know something as stupid as this but anybody from this world obviously should. The rest of the scene is yet another example of a character, the guild master, using knowledge of the story (what the writer and the viewer know) instead of what he is supposed to know. It's probably done for exposition but it's really lazy writing.

On the plus side, I'm sighing so much and so deeply that it has to be good for my lungs.

I thought it was a bad imitation of SOA but it's so much worse than that.
Apr 13, 12:48 PM

Feb 2022
I was hoping this adaptation would be better, its lacking...

I'm up to date with the manga and enjoying it.
Apr 13, 12:49 PM
Panzer Vor!

Jun 2014
Dude they almost adapted the entire vol 1 of the manga in one episode....what is this fucking rush, the same as Re:monster....
The manga is a fun read, but this is cutting even the fun, because of the many scenes that were cut.
Apr 13, 12:51 PM
Jul 2015
Well, this is a derivative of an anime which itself is derivative of a better anime (SAO didn't even come close to inventing the "trapped in a VRMMO" genre), but it's still entertaining so far.
Apr 13, 12:53 PM
Mar 2023
BASURA GENERICA INFUMABLE
Apr 13, 1:04 PM
May 2021
It's like mix of SAO and Overlord
Apr 13, 1:19 PM
Feb 2019
The manga is amazing but this anime looks mid af, the animation is low budget and it feels like there's no emotions in the characters.
After all these years this is so disappointing.
Apr 13, 1:32 PM

Apr 2011
New Gate was never masterpiece, but making 20+ old man into figuratively literal Kirito certainly doesn't make it better. Anime team was probably like: It's inspired by SAO, so let's just change anything that was even barely original into SAO. What do you mean noone cares about that thing anymore? Ten years ago everyone loved it!
Tenzen12Apr 13, 1:50 PM
Apr 13, 1:37 PM

Jan 2015
One day Japan will get tired of it. One day...
Apr 13, 1:40 PM

Sep 2011
Says black hair elf multiple times
Light Novel cover has black hair elf
Elf in the anime has blue hair

How does Yokohama Animation Lab fuck up so bad
Apr 13, 1:55 PM

Jan 2017
Eh... i kept my expectations low after the announcement with the Key Visual and its character designs, but somehow, i'm still disappointed.
They skipped so many scenes. A lot of them had comedy, which made Shin a very fun character to follow, or explanations, which were informative and felt natural.

Dunno what they are trying to do with this adaptation; it fails even to fill the quota of brainless Isekai.
I guess it's the perfect occasion to actually go read the Light Novels.
Alexioos95Apr 13, 1:58 PM
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Apr 13, 2:13 PM
Feb 2018
this could honestly be decent, but Yokohama Animation Lab destroys everything they touch, so it really never had a fair chance.

im only gona watch this for Wilhelm.
Apr 13, 2:27 PM

Jun 2013
loving the manga a lot, I was impatiently awaiting the adaptation, what a disappointment...
bad animation, bad character design compared to the manga, already so many skip(6.5 chapters in one episode, olmost the entire first vol), some scenes are changed for no reason and completely ruin the "I'm a nice guy but dont piss me off" side of Shin, he seems so weak compared to the manga, ...
the manga is not the madness of the century but at least, it has the merit of having interesting characters and stylish and dynamic combat, not here.
Apr 13, 2:30 PM
Oct 2021
It just had to be Yokohama Animation Lab… Do yourself a favour and read the manga or LN if that works for you.

Honestly one of the more interesting manga I’ve read
Apr 13, 2:31 PM
May 2015
Unlike SAO the 1st episode didn't lie to me.
I know to expect the laziest isekai trash from the get go.
That's the only good thing about the show.
Apr 13, 3:33 PM
Sep 2021
I have read and enjoyed the manga and the novel, hope that other episodes do a bit better.
Apr 13, 3:54 PM

May 2021
Another trash stuck in MMO world can't log out Sword Art Online wanna be. Except this time with cliched characters, shit directing, stiff acting and below average animation.
Apr 13, 3:54 PM

Feb 2014
sao teemu edition?
Apr 13, 4:08 PM

May 2021
Oh my god. Just saw that last fight and started belly laughing so much I woke people in my house. Good god is it stupid. LIMITU OFFFFUUU. Hahaha, oh boy. Haven't laughed this much in a while.
Apr 13, 4:24 PM
May 2018
Anime character or would I say producer is blind, blue hair is called black hair
Apr 13, 4:51 PM
May 2019
Sword Art Online, but good
Apr 13, 5:19 PM

Jan 2008
Reply to uncleqrow
Maybe this is nostalgia speaking, New Gate is literally the 2nd (or 3rd) japanese LN I've ever read oh so long ago afterall (I'm talking 10-ish years ago), but I'm utterly dissapointed in the adaptation quality, all writing, animation, and direction-wise. However, this is also nostalgia speaking, I don't think I'd stop watching its adaptation anyways.

PS: 6 high humans? Weren't they called The 9 Devas? It's been such a long time ago, I already forgot some of the details.
@uncleqrow Yeah, I'm noticing a lot of changes, and they're not for the better. So much stuff was cut out and streamlined, and if that's going to be the norm going forward then that's really going to hurt this series.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Apr 13, 5:21 PM

Jan 2008
Reply to Leifallen
The manga is amazing but this anime looks mid af, the animation is low budget and it feels like there's no emotions in the characters.
After all these years this is so disappointing.
@Leifallen Have to agree. Still reading and enjoying the manga, but this is not the quality I'm wanting for this series, but admittedly it is what I was expecting. Isekai lately have really been cutting corners on story and streamlining everything to fit as many chapters as possible into just a few episodes.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Apr 13, 5:26 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Reply to IzanaSolos
Novelist Shinogi Kazanami's interpretation of the entire SAO genre, or whatever you'd call it, isn't exactly hailed as groundbreaking, but it's not dismissed as generic either. Let's just wait and see.

THE NEW GATE—originally an online game—morphs into a life-or-death battleground for its players. With Shin, the most formidable among them, inching closer to victory, freedom appears imminent. However, as Shin triumphs over the game's ultimate foe, he's engulfed by an enigmatic light and thrust 500 years forward into the future of the game world. Catapulted from a virtual reality gone awry into an unfamiliar realm, a young swordsman of unparalleled might is poised to embark on a legendary odyssey.

Just another SAO ripoff... a bit late for that aren't we?
@IzanaSolos

i honestly feel bad for this series that it came out NOW instead of like 5ish years ago, considering the source material is from 2013 and its BLATENTLY a SAO ripoff while most carbon copy isekai at least curbed the death game aspect

also uh...

pretty shitty art/animation as has become all too common lol

rijallconnie said:
Anime character or would I say producer is blind, blue hair is called black hair

i've actually noticed this alot, blue and even purple hair in anime is often referred to as black
Apr 13, 5:39 PM

Apr 2011
Reply to EcchiGodMamster
@IzanaSolos

i honestly feel bad for this series that it came out NOW instead of like 5ish years ago, considering the source material is from 2013 and its BLATENTLY a SAO ripoff while most carbon copy isekai at least curbed the death game aspect

also uh...

pretty shitty art/animation as has become all too common lol

rijallconnie said:

i've actually noticed this alot, blue and even purple hair in anime is often referred to as black
@EcchiGodMamster I disagree, problem isn't timing. New Gate while not perect has at least enough of it's ground stand on. It doesn't need pigyback on SAO. Real problem is that director apparently isn't aware of it and just trying go hard on SAO angle, but that would hurt this show even 5 years ago as it simply aren't good changes.
Apr 13, 6:00 PM

Mar 2013
Here comes one of my favourites.
I've read the manga before and I know that this is going to be an epic series... (Stark700 calling the manga average? 😂)
Let's just hope the adaptation will be a good one at very least.
But for this EP1, quite a disappointment.
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Apr 13, 6:22 PM

Nov 2014
I liked it but the fact that they don't really show any of the fighting is really disappointing. but the characters are hot so i'll probably stick with it, and OP is a nice character
Apr 13, 6:31 PM

Nov 2023
So it's SAO but then turned into Overlord + 500 years later, yeah, okay.

You already know this is going to be mediocre, no joke.
Apr 13, 7:11 PM
Nov 2018
So, this show is about how SAO and other VROMMOkei are not isekai and how the two differentiate each other...
Apr 13, 7:49 PM

Nov 2012
Why wouldn't you log out? Why sit on the watching as everyone does?

I kind of wonder if he died and they programmed a world for him.
Apr 13, 8:34 PM
Mar 2014
Looking good, the MC design changed a little bit, the manga was better.
overall the story remained the same as the manga.
Apr 13, 8:53 PM

Nov 2017
i've mixed feeling about this, idk should i be happy or sad about the adaptation, i like the manga, but i hope they choose a better studios for the adaptation tho, i knew it's gonna a freaking mess after the first PV came out
Apr 13, 9:03 PM
Apr 2023
Hmm pretty decent. Will continue reading the manga adaptation along as the episodes come out. (this is based on a light novel)
Apr 13, 9:33 PM
Feb 2019
disappointing, I read the manga version and I liked it but the anime version had bad fighting scenes and many scenes were removed
Apr 13, 9:49 PM

Jun 2013
SAO long lost relative
Apr 13, 11:48 PM

Feb 2008
The anime adaptation turn out to be a failure a lot of scenes were cut out. Only LN / manga readers would know what actually happens.
I think it just lacking the budget necessary to make the quality better.

Nothing too great it is was all right watch but if it for anime viewers only it is very bad.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Apr 13, 11:51 PM
Nov 2018
The Banished Former Hero That Lives As He Pleases has competition on which one is the worse!
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » The New Gate Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 1

34 by amlg »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » The New Gate Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 27

28 by Satoshi17 »»
8 hours ago

» Is this just another SAO clone?

did4375 - Jun 2

32 by luneart »»
Yesterday, 1:55 PM

» Disappointing animation?

AniPeo - Apr 21

20 by CrasianLe »»
Jun 1, 11:31 AM

Poll: » The New Gate Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - May 25

19 by waldy713 »»
May 30, 12:43 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.