Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 21, 2020 4:18 PM

May 2016
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Maybe is just me but this feel axed. Fifteen chapters after the author said it would be not romance in the series. After that point I didn't pretty much like the series, everything seemed so rushed and I could not feel the characters mature.The author did not confront the relationship of the characters in its entirety as she did at the beginning between our MC and Mashuu's father.
Finally in the last chapters I felt confused, Satoko seemed to harbord romantic feelings toward Mashuu that were not explored and even if was that I would feel she betrayed the story she wanted to tell.

Maybe it wasn't axed, maybe she realized that she was straying from her story and decided to finish it, trying to put all her wishesin that but it only ended as something incomplete.

6/10 because it betrayed my expectations, I guess.
Nov 21, 2020 4:19 PM

Mar 2012
Life goes on...
Addendum: Fireworks Festival.

Satoko passes through the crowds like a lone fish swimming against the current. We see snippets of the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily life.

Mashuu attends the festival with his family, Satoko with some co-workers. They see the same sights and experience the same feelings as they watch the fireworks explode. It's something only they can share thanks to the memories of a bottle of ramune all those years ago.

I admit I'm disappointed that we didn't get the definitive answer we might have wanted but I'll respect Satoko's feelings. She's not ready to move on; she's still in the process of healing.

Mashuu on the other hand, is in a far better place. He has a better relationship with his father and he's able to speak his mind, thanks to Satoko. I don't think she'll ever realize the impact she's made in his life.

I feel like the story ended back in chapter 39. The remaining chapters were just an epilogue for the rest of the characters and tying up Satoko's feelings about her own life and relationship with Mashuu.

Wherever life takes them, Satoko and Mashuu will continue to be a part of each other's lives.
xxxATiONNov 21, 2020 4:27 PM
A good author leaves the audience enough material to be satisfied with, yet yearning for more.
Nov 21, 2020 6:17 PM

Oct 2013
I’d have to agree with OP that this ending felt really rushed and scrambled together.
Overall, I respect Takano-sensei’s decision to not make their relationship romantic because as she said, that would be wrong and constitute to grooming. I’m unsure as to why anyone would want that but that’s not my business. The name of the series is “Watashi no Shounen” or “My Boy” so having Mashuu remain a boy was very important to the story. This manga truly shows that adults and children are completely capable of having healthy amicable, platonic relationships with one another. It’s a breath of fresh air.

Back to the story feeling rushed, we never particularly learned about Mashuu’s father or enhanced on their relationship. I could be wrong but I was under the impression that Mashuu & his brother were half-siblings as he always referenced her as “his mother.”
Also, what about the hidden disdain Mashuu’s father had for Sawako, was that resolved?

Otherwise, I enjoyed how the series touched on the different kinds of love and what they can mean for the persons involved. Also, how to determine such things. As adults, sometimes they have some childhood cleaning-up they need to do before they can fully mature into the person they desire to be, Mashuu certainly noticed that.

Taking everything into account, aside from the botched ending, it was a great story!
Nov 21, 2020 6:32 PM

Oct 2019
this totally feels axed which is weird since I thought this was pretty good and had a solid story.
I wanted to see a little more I guess, but this is fine too, I forgot Mashuu had longer hair when he was younger lol.

All in all, it was a nice manga.
Nov 21, 2020 8:36 PM

Aug 2015
actually a good open end fits with chapter title perfectly
Nov 22, 2020 8:35 AM
Sep 2014
i believe it fits what the author said that there will not be timeskips to make mashu an adult to make it a romance, i took the last chapter as just the beginning of another story that wasn't shown. would've preferred if it was shown tho.
Nov 22, 2020 3:11 PM
Mar 2015
Finally able to see the fireworks together at the end
Nov 24, 2020 1:01 PM

Mar 2010
landofthekwt said:
Finally able to see the fireworks together at the end

They were not physically together, just over a phone.

I think it would have been nicer if they had actually met. :(

But maybe the phone also implies some sort of distance they will always have to keep, who knows..
Dec 5, 2020 9:22 AM

Feb 2018
This manga was amazing and had a lot of life lessons in it. I particularly liked the chapter with Satoko talking to her past selves, showing them love and getting the closure that she needed. I liked the realistic approach and yet... I feel betrayed by the manga's ending. I was hoping to see at least some romance flourish between Mashuu and Satoko (once Mashuu got older, particularly), or at least for their feelings to turn out to indeed be romantic, but they were much more complex this whole time and I feel like we got nothing.. why do I feel sorry for them even though they've both handled some big issues and come out stronger on the other end? I was still wishing for them to confess, to sort out their feelings, to maybe grow older together, who knows. Right now I just feel a lot of pain inside.
Jan 14, 2021 7:07 PM

Apr 2018
Definitely axed because the mangaka came out and said it's not a romance manga. The last couple chapters are very rushed like how Mashuu suddenly got into high school and they're still the same. Satoko didn't have much development she is still the same as she was before, only slightly more confident in herself. The last 1/3 of the series is half-baked.
Jan 22, 2021 9:15 PM

Aug 2016
I guess I'm in the minority here. The author already stated from an interview that (afaik) she's going to end the manga in a vague way. Kind of a take it however you'd like ending. Knowing that, I think the ending was good. I'd like to see their relationship's progress of course, but on the other hand, it feels refreshing (to me) for a manga to end this way which is surprising because if the characters and plot weren't executed well, this would definitely feel axed.
I'd love to read more of her works. Kid!mashu is so adorable!
Apr 1, 2021 2:19 PM
Jul 2018
The ending was ok, I'm glad they ended up with a good relationship. But the last 10~15 chapters felt a bit out of place for me. Maybe the manga was axed like some people commented here. But the story was pretty good overall, specially the first chapters which were amazing
Apr 11, 2021 12:30 AM
Feb 2020
I would say it's a cowardly move,
The real issue that needed to be tackled was their romantic relationship and if it wasn't that than what it was actually?
If it's just an adult child relationship than it should've been portrayed like that, I mean every child has an adult in their lives that he look up to and care very deeply about but this was that than they should have their own lives and rom interests but mangaka made sure they don't have that relationship and than he didn't developed the other relationship mangaka established

V. Disappointing ending
May 1, 2021 6:31 AM

Dec 2017
I loved the ending. Not everything is black or white, lots of areas in life are grey. Satoko and Mashuu have feelings for each other, but due to various reasons this love can’t blossom into something romantic. Rather, Satoko found a way where it’s acceptable for her to continue in Mashuu’s life and rather than become his reason for existing, she urged him to grow and spread his wings. Both of them grew and matured as people thanks to each other.

Those feelings are still there and they are confusing. Mashuu said he saw Satoko as a mother at one point, but now there’s a bit more than that. I guess these confused perceptions are bound to happen when there’s such a big age gap and also, it shows there’s various types of love they feel for each other. For now, they are simply enjoying each other’s company and grateful that they can grow together.

Others were always focused on labels.
‘As a woman, you have to marry’
‘You’re old so you have to behave this way’
‘You’re a boy so you can’t hang out with a girl’
‘You have to see her as a woman/him as a man”

I thought it was interesting that Mashuu questioned these labels and that Satoko was doing her best to find her place in the world as a woman who rejects the norms of a conservative society (wherein you are born to get married and have children). I guess Mashuu offered her a safe space because he saw her as just a human being and they could just be next to each other without any expectations from either side.

I also liked that it ended with the idea that we aren’t halves of someone, but rather we are whole beings. Satoko was able to begin loving herself after realising this. And since they are whole beings, they don’t need to end up together romantically in order to be complete.

If Mashuu had magically moved on from Satoko and straight after fallen in love with his classmate, that would’ve been a cop out IMO.

I liked that they ended up together, but apart. It was for the best. Who knows what the future holds, but overall I think it dealt with a complicated and taboo topic well.
sea-lemonMay 1, 2021 6:37 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 6, 2021 4:50 AM

Apr 2018
I also agree with OP, Everything after chapter 28 is Underwhelming to me, I just didnt get the same feeling when i first reading the first 20 chapters of the manga. It's not bad but definitely not as interesting as it used to, probably because the author decided to cut off the romance development between mash and satoko.
Jul 23, 2021 4:53 PM
Jan 2019
sea-lemon said:
I loved the ending. Not everything is black or white, lots of areas in life are grey. Satoko and Mashuu have feelings for each other, but due to various reasons this love can’t blossom into something romantic. Rather, Satoko found a way where it’s acceptable for her to continue in Mashuu’s life and rather than become his reason for existing, she urged him to grow and spread his wings. Both of them grew and matured as people thanks to each other.

Those feelings are still there and they are confusing. Mashuu said he saw Satoko as a mother at one point, but now there’s a bit more than that. I guess these confused perceptions are bound to happen when there’s such a big age gap and also, it shows there’s various types of love they feel for each other. For now, they are simply enjoying each other’s company and grateful that they can grow together.

Others were always focused on labels.
‘As a woman, you have to marry’
‘You’re old so you have to behave this way’
‘You’re a boy so you can’t hang out with a girl’
‘You have to see her as a woman/him as a man”

I thought it was interesting that Mashuu questioned these labels and that Satoko was doing her best to find her place in the world as a woman who rejects the norms of a conservative society (wherein you are born to get married and have children). I guess Mashuu offered her a safe space because he saw her as just a human being and they could just be next to each other without any expectations from either side.

I also liked that it ended with the idea that we aren’t halves of someone, but rather we are whole beings. Satoko was able to begin loving herself after realising this. And since they are whole beings, they don’t need to end up together romantically in order to be complete.

If Mashuu had magically moved on from Satoko and straight after fallen in love with his classmate, that would’ve been a cop out IMO.

I liked that they ended up together, but apart. It was for the best. Who knows what the future holds, but overall I think it dealt with a complicated and taboo topic well.

Yes thanks '-')7

I actually thought its kinda a pity (?) that the author had to convince reader that it wont be romance... Like, readers had the freedom to have different take: "noo this is not romance guys, look this is why..."; "duh this is ofc romance guys, how could u not see?"; etc etc, but somehow the author had to narrowed it down

Also this story is just several parts of their lives. Its not their full story. We were given by the author theses glimpses of them as people living their lives. Author had learned several things in live, and wanted to share this particular portion in their own way. If this is really the author's honest perspective, then its normal if some might found problematic parts in it. Becs its people's ideas clashing and people have flaws.

For me, this really interests me becs there are times when i went "yoo u also really think the same rite??" but also "eh why would u even think that way, no dont even go there"

Im glad for this story to happened
Sep 14, 2021 10:51 PM
Sep 2018
its basically an open ending. we know for sure they will be a part of each other's lives but we dont know if its their relationship will stay the same or develop into something romantic (ofc once hes an adult)
Apr 5, 2022 5:17 AM

Apr 2021
Kinda feel betrayed but it was a good read. I liked the chapter where Nao confronted Sakoto about her feelings (chapter 38). On another note, much thanks to the author for making this series.

(〜 ̄▽ ̄)〜

May 3, 2022 9:05 AM
Feb 2021
I am not sure how much the ending was affected by outside pressure. The story definitely challenges traditional moral barrier. Maybe the author was afraid the negative feedback if she gave them a happy ending. I am not satisfied with the ending.
Oct 31, 2023 8:17 PM
Feb 2013
I find it creepy how so many people wanted a literal child to end up with a grown ass woman of nearly 40 at the end of the story. He is 12 (!!) when they meet and have an "innocent" relationship. That turning into a romantic relationship later on would 100% constitute grooming. This kid grew up without a mother, and Satoko inserted herself in his life providing that kind of support. A child develops strong attachments to adults that earn their trust like that. After the 2 year time skip when he seemingly has "romantic" feelings for Satoko (now 32) he is still a literal child of 14 years. When he becomes of legal consenting age she would be nearly 40 years old. How are people going to act like her becoming involved in a sexual relationship with him wouldn't be totally inappropriate and child grooming!? It would also prove that all those people who harbored doubts about her intentions in having such a close relationship with a 12 year old were right to be suspicious of her, and suspecting that she was sexually interested in him! Thank god the author had some sense and didn't get pressured into making this into a romance. I am 100% certain that the same people "disappointed" that they didn't have a romantic relationship at the end, were the same ones defending her relationship with him as innocent and not grooming in the beginning.
DesirelessOct 31, 2023 8:22 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you prefer Satoko and Mashuu to end up together romantically?

foxhunt99 - May 4, 2022

1 by Desireless »»
Oct 31, 2023 8:23 PM

» What do people think of this

JSeanaY - Oct 22, 2022

0 by JSeanaY »»
Oct 22, 2022 4:46 PM

» I believe Satoko and Mashuu did end up together romantically

foxhunt99 - May 4, 2022

0 by foxhunt99 »»
May 4, 2022 1:37 PM

Poll: » Watashi no Shounen Chapter 15 Discussion

Stark700 - May 18, 2018

4 by izlah »»
Apr 14, 2022 10:41 PM

Poll: » Watashi no Shounen Chapter 11 Discussion

luinthoron - Apr 22, 2018

2 by izlah »»
Apr 14, 2022 4:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.