Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 26, 2020 1:21 AM

Jun 2019
Hey everyone,

Decided to create an interest thread for a possible re-watch for MAL: Later Years.

I've taken part in a number of r/anime re-watches and got a lot out of each experience. We would chose a series and then watch one episode per day (or per week if that would be easier and people are busy), then we would discuss each episode in a thread.

If more than 5 people are interested then I'd be happy to organise and post the threads each day. We would just need to agree on a series to watch. I find group watches useful as one episode per day makes it easier to get through shows that I make not watch otherwise, eg for me shows such as Ergo Proxy, Simoun & Mai-Hime.

A few shows I thought of for a group watch may include Baccano, Serial Experiments Lain, Elfen Lied, Barakamon, Hellsing Ultimate, Kokkoro Connect, Princess Principal, Sarazanmai, Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju, Tamako Market, Saga of Tanya the Evil & Zombieland Saga.

I'm open to suggestions of shows, most of the reddit watches I joined were for shows not on my ptw list. We could whittle down the shows and then vote on our top pick?

If we need approval from Mal Later Years co-ordinator or there are rules for group watches then please let me know.

Post a response and if there's more than 5 people interested then I'll volunteer to organise the daily (or weekly) threads. Also please post any suggestions for possible shows to watch.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 26, 2020 4:02 AM

Jan 2019
I'd be interested. I haven't seen any of those, so it'd be first watch for me!
Be happy with what you have to be happy with
Oct 26, 2020 8:14 AM

Jun 2019
WampaStompa said:
I'd be interested. I haven't seen any of those, so it'd be first watch for me!

Great, any particular shows you've think may be good for a group watch?
Oct 26, 2020 8:25 AM

Jan 2019
Barakamon and Baccano! seem really awesome! I've always been interested in Elfen Lied since hearing about the influence it had on Stranger Things, and I also think Kokorro Connect sounds pretty good!
Oct 29, 2020 8:52 AM
Nov 2010
I think it could be interresting. As for possible shows it's a tough question. I'm open to watch or rewatch almost anything because I think the worth in this exercise is the discussion. The ones you named are fine with me but I guess I should at least put out a few names so let's say: Beck, Samurai Champloo, Kanon(2006), Devil May Cry
Oct 30, 2020 5:05 AM

Jun 2019
33orion77 said:
I think it could be interresting. As for possible shows it's a tough question. I'm open to watch or rewatch almost anything because I think the worth in this exercise is the discussion. The ones you named are fine with me but I guess I should at least put out a few names so let's say: Beck, Samurai Champloo, Kanon(2006), Devil May Cry

Glad to have another person interested and thanks for the recommendations (I've seen Devil May Cry but non of the others, Samurai Champloo would be great although it's 22 eps long, if people are ok with a longer show then that would be a good pick maybe?). Hopefully we'll get another couple of people on board. @Inim and @filifjonkan have both expressed interest, so along with Wompa Stompa that makes 4 (not including me).
Oct 30, 2020 5:26 AM
Dec 2018
Hello!

I am also interested in a group discussion. I do not really have any opinion on what show to watch, I am open to most themes except horror.

/fili
Oct 30, 2020 8:04 AM

Apr 2019
33orion77 said:
Brief comments on the suggested titles. Cc: @23feanor @filifjonkan

Samurai Champloo - Already watched and rated 10/10. Thus out for me.
Beck - On PTW, neutral stance. Would watch, but it's not high priority.
Kanon(2006) - Not on PTW. I need to watch a KEY-KYOANI visual novel (Air, Kanon, Clannad), but I would prefer Clannad (+AS), which is what I have on PTW and which has high priority there.
Devil May Cry - Not on PTW, low priority. Action oriented shounen, not really my cup of tea but would watch as it is short.

WampaStompa said:
Barakamon and Baccano! seem really awesome! I've always been interested in Elfen Lied since hearing about the influence it had on Stranger Things, and I also think Kokorro Connect sounds pretty good!
Seen them all except Kokorro Connect, which I was close to add to PTW several times but always set back in favor of other romcoms. I'm ready for it :) I have limited interest in rewatching Baccano! which is one of those shows which is both popular and critical acclaimed, but which didn't click for me. As in rated it very low and had to force myself to finish it. Maybe a 2nd try can change that.

23feanor said:
Decided to create an interest thread for a possible re-watch for MAL: Later Years.
Already watched: Baccano!, Serial Experiments Lain, Elfen Lied, Barakamon, Sarazanmai, Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju, Tamako Market, Saga of Tanya the Evil, Ergo Proxy
On PTW already: Hellsing Ultimate, Princess Principal, Simoun, Mai-Hime
Not on PTW: Kokkoro Connect, Zombieland Saga

From your suggestions, my top 3 preferences in order are: Mai-Hime, Simoun, Hellsing Ultimate

My own suggestions from the pre-2010 era (I "need" shows here to complete badges, got them all > 2009). Those shows are high on my PTW and would be scheduled soon anyway.

Mai-HiME - Influential dark magical girl show.
Trigun - Space Western, shounen spirit but bebop-cool (so they say) and funny.
Bokura no - Psychological mecha with suffering teens along the lines of EVA.
Casshern Sins - Artsy, cyberpunkish dystopian road movie along the lines of Ergo Proxy & Co.
Claymore - Medieval fantasy with R+ grade nudity and gore, similar to Berserk (1997) in that.
inimOct 30, 2020 8:30 AM

Oct 30, 2020 8:33 AM
Dec 2018
Hello again!

@inim thanks for your, as usual, interesting comments. Of the series that you suggest in your comment, I have only seen MAI-Hime and liked that show a lot. When I started to watch anime again, I searched for Shoujo Ai-series and this is one of them I watched. Also, Simoune, is another intersting series.

Peace /fili
Oct 30, 2020 1:02 PM
Nov 2010
We start to have a good list so to help trim it down I'll mention my preferences.

The ones I've watched:
Baccano, Elfen Lied, Barakamon, Kokkoro Connect, Tamako Market, Saga of Tanya the Evil, Samurai Champloo, Kanon(2006), Claymore

I'm good to rewatch any of them as I've seen most of them quite a while ago but maybe Kokkoro Connect would be the one I'm more interrested in as I haven't seen the OVAs.

The ones that are on-hold or that I dropped:
Serial Experiments Lain: I've seen like half of it, it was interresting but a bit heavy so I was waiting to be on the right mood for it
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju: I've seen 3-4 eps, I thought nice just not what I wanted to watch at the time but I've always wanted to finish it.
Trigun : I've seen like 10-12 eps 5 or 6 years ago. I guess it was ok but I got bored.
Casshern Sins: I've seen 2-3 eps and dropped it. It is one I would like to revisit tho.

The one I have not seen:
Hellsing Ultimate, Princess Principal, Sarazanmai, Zombieland Saga, Beck, Devil May Cry,
Mai-HiME , Bokura no

The one that interrest the most are Mai-HiME, Hellsing Ultimate, Devil May Cry and Beck. I don't mind the others tho.
Oct 30, 2020 1:53 PM

Jan 2019
Ooooohhh Beck would be good! I'd be down for that.
Oct 31, 2020 6:26 AM

Jun 2019
Reading through the comments it seems the front runners for a group watch are;

Kokkoro Connect
Beck
Hellsing Ultimate
Zombieland Saga
Princess Principal

I'm not a big fan of re-watching shows, otherwise Mai-Hime or Simoun would be a good pick, plus as I watched them for a reddit watch a few months back so have the memories & analysis of the show and discussion fairly fresh in my mind.

I was thinking of giving it till mid next week to see if anyone else is interested, but we have 5 people including me now anyway so am happy to organise the group watch.

When we've picked a show we can think of when to start the group watch (1 episode per day and thread posted at say 5pm BST, so if anyone has any commitments soon and wants to start it sooner or later let us know, we can be flexible here, there's no rush). This is just some fun and for good discussion so nothing's fixed.

I was thinking that if everyone could pick their top 3 shows out of the 5 listed above and the one with the most votes gets chosen (1st place gets 3 points, 2nd gets 2 points and 3rd place gets 1 point), then show with most points gets chosen.

My picks would be:

1st - Princess Principal
2nd - Kokkoro Connect
3rd - Zombieland Saga

@inim @filifjonkan @WampaStompa @33orion77
Oct 31, 2020 7:05 AM
Nov 2010
my pick would be:

1-Beck
2-Hellsing Ultimate
3-Kokkoro Connect
Oct 31, 2020 7:35 AM

Apr 2019
My preferences within that 5 candidates are the same as @33orion77 's.
  1. Beck
  2. Hellsing Ultimate
  3. Kokoro Connect

Oct 31, 2020 7:48 AM

Jan 2019
1. Beck
2. Kokorro Connect
3. Baccano!
Nov 4, 2020 11:43 AM

Jun 2019
So it looks like Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad is our winner. Luckily it's also subbed and dubbed on Funimation, which makes it easy to access.

When shall we start, next Monday 9th November?

I'll post a thread at 5pm BST each day for discussion, is that time ok with everyone? Am looking forward to this!

@WampaStompa @inim @filifjonkan @33orion77
Nov 4, 2020 12:19 PM

Apr 2019
23feanor said:
So it looks like Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad is our winner. [...] When shall we start, next Monday 9th November? I'll post a thread at 5pm BST each day for discussion, is that time ok with everyone?
The schedule is fine, I'll watch in German sub but that shouldn't make much of a difference.

About the daily threads, why bury our discussion in a club forum? We should just use the official episode threads, because it helps watchers who come after us as an added value. It feels like the "natural" place for me.

Nov 4, 2020 12:39 PM
Dec 2018
23feanor said:
So it looks like Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad is our winner. Luckily it's also subbed and dubbed on Funimation, which makes it easy to access.

I'll post a thread at 5pm BST each day for discussion, is that time ok with everyone? Am looking forward to this!

Hi!
I am fine with Beck and looking forward to discuss with you guys. What does BST mean?
Nov 5, 2020 12:00 AM

Jun 2019
filifjonkan said:
23feanor said:

Hi!
I am fine with Beck and looking forward to discuss with you guys. What does BST mean?

It means British Standard Time, so that would be 6pm for you.

@inim I hadn't thought of posting the discussions threads in the show tab. It wouldn't be an much of a group watch if we use the existing threads & discussion may be muted if it's in a public forum. Plus i don't mind creating the threads here in mal later years.
Nov 5, 2020 7:19 AM

Jan 2019
Sounds good!
Nov 7, 2020 5:19 PM
Nov 2010
It's fine for me too. About using the existing thread, I guess there are pros and cons for both options. Depending on how you want to structure the debate it may be easier to set up our own thread but I understand inim's point of view. To get the best of both world we could have our own discussion thread and "publish" a summery of our discussion on the series thread but it would be more work. I'm fine fine both ways
Nov 9, 2020 10:58 AM
Dec 2018
Hello, everyone!

I have started to watch Beck now. Two episodes today..

Peace /Fili
Nov 9, 2020 11:45 AM

Jun 2019
filifjonkan said:
Hello, everyone!

I have started to watch Beck now. Two episodes today..

Peace /Fili

Hey,
I've started a thread for episode 1 already, here's a link.

We'll be watching & discussing one episode per day but there's no rule, watch as many episodes as you like, but please only discuss each episode in turn so as not to spoil the story. I'm watching it dubbed, what version are you using sub or dub?

Hope you're well!
Nov 9, 2020 12:44 PM

Apr 2019
23feanor said:
I've started a thread for episode 1 already, here's a link
I'm sorry, I can't post into that. It feels terribly wrong to me to use a forum of a group of 421 people for a per-episode level discussion like this. In no time our threads would outnumber the discussion of many years. I'll start and use the regular episode threads. Sorry for this, but I really can't do it.

Nov 10, 2020 3:38 AM

Jun 2019
I think i was over optimistic about the level of discussion with so few people so will put a hold on this for now. I wanted to try and see how a group watch might pan out here.

Maybe in the future if we get a few more people involved, or we could piggy back on a r/anime reddit group watch, they're usually great fun.

Thanks for your interest though.

@filifjonkan @inim @33orion77 @WampaStompa
Nov 11, 2020 3:49 AM
Dec 2018
23feanor said:
I think i was over optimistic about the level of discussion with so few people so will put a hold on this for now. I wanted to try and see how a group watch might pan out here.

Maybe in the future if we get a few more people involved, or we could piggy back on a r/anime reddit group watch, they're usually great fun.

I see! Maybe sime other time, I hope? I think that I will go on watching the series, it is always nice to watch something different from what I usually watch.

Maybe we van exchange thoughts on this show, if you want?

Peace //Fimi
Nov 11, 2020 4:44 AM

Jun 2019
filifjonkan said:
23feanor said:

I see! Maybe sime other time, I hope? I think that I will go on watching the series, it is always nice to watch something different from what I usually watch.

Maybe we van exchange thoughts on this show, if you want?

Peace //Fimi

Good Morning to you,

Thank you kindly for the offer but I've stopped watching Beck. It's not really a show I'd normally watch, although I did like the first episode. I was only going to watch it for the discussions, but there just weren't enough people to have a lively discussion. But thank you for your comment, much appreciated!

Have a nice day.
Nov 15, 2020 2:16 AM

Apr 2019
I want to say thank you to @23feanor for his effort to create more activity in this club. The rationale to cancel it is fully understandable, and it was worth the try. My lesson learned is that age alone does not make different tastes more homogeneous. Personally I've scheduled Beck as the next 2-cour series to watch after finishing my current one, Last Exit. This takes out some stress, because I currently have a tight IRL schedule and that way can go at a slower pace.

Nov 15, 2020 2:41 AM

Jun 2019
inim said:
I want to say thank you to @23feanor for his effort to create more activity in this club. The rationale to cancel it is fully understandable, and it was worth the try. My lesson learned is that age alone does not make different tastes more homogeneous. Personally I've scheduled Beck as the next 2-cour series to watch after finishing my current one, Last Exit. This takes out some stress, because I currently have a tight IRL schedule and that way can go at a slower pace.

Thank you ^_^
Feb 12, 2021 12:14 PM

Aug 2011
This may be a bit late. 23feanor, I think your idea for a group watch activity is superb! I am game and even tho I already watched Beck, I'd rewatch it. inim has an interesting if not eclectic list of anime ( I know this b/c I am watching a bunch of his recommended anime ) which in the long run are quite awesome.
I hope you reconsider and try to re-start a group watch.

Active Military, Prior Service and Veteran's Anime Club
do not forget the sound of my voice until the day we reunite
Feb 14, 2021 11:34 AM

Jun 2019
@Antalk a couple of us have continued with the group watch, although using the word 'group' loosely. We're currently watching Golden Time, swapping posts in pm's every day. You'd be welcome to join our next watch if you'd like, although we haven't decided what that will be. Any suggestions?

@filifjonkan any ideas for the next show we watch & discuss?
Feb 17, 2021 6:53 PM

Aug 2011
@23feanor
Do you all watch on the same night or try to watch an episode or two during the week and pm everyone?

As far as ideas for the next show:

Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ at 47 episodes

Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas - Meiou Shinwa at 13 episodes

Malice Doll at 3 episodes

Any anime in the Fate franchise. Yes I have watched most of them but will re-watch willingly

Feb 18, 2021 8:59 AM

Jun 2019
Antalk said:
@23feanor
Do you all watch on the same night or try to watch an episode or two during the week and pm everyone?

As far as ideas for the next show:

Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ at 47 episodes

Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas - Meiou Shinwa at 13 episodes

Malice Doll at 3 episodes

Any anime in the Fate franchise. Yes I have watched most of them but will re-watch willingly

Thanks for the reply. Atm @filifjonkan & I are watching Golden Time, one episode per day and swapping pm's each day to discuss. We're on episode 18 today.

If you want o join our next watch I can easily make a daily thread or send the pm's to you both so we can all join in the daily discussion. We haven't decided what to watch next (will probably start in March sometime after we finish Golden Time next week), but these were the shows that filifjonkan mentioned interest in from my ptw list (i am interested in maybe Serial Experiments Lain or Kobato next):

Zetsuen no Tempest

Tamako Market

Soul Eater

Servant x service

Serial Experiments Lain

Kobato

From the Fate franchise I have Carnival Phantasm, Fate Grand Order Babylonia & Fate Apocrypha on my ptw list.
Feb 18, 2021 6:21 PM

Aug 2011
@23feanor
I really dont care what the group wants to watch, I am game for anything except yaoi. Even if I watched it, there is a REWATCH button that I can utilize, lol.

I wont jump in on Golden Time but as you get to the end of the series, let me know so I can make room and time for the next watch. So yeah, I would like to join.
Thanks!

Feb 19, 2021 2:31 AM

Jun 2019
Antalk said:
@23feanor
I really dont care what the group wants to watch, I am game for anything except yaoi. Even if I watched it, there is a REWATCH button that I can utilize, lol.

I wont jump in on Golden Time but as you get to the end of the series, let me know so I can make room and time for the next watch. So yeah, I would like to join.
Thanks!

Ok, I'll let you know when we're planning to watch the next show. I've never seen a yaoi series so don't expect we'll suddenly pick one up now. I'd like to see Serial Experiments Lain or Kobato.

I like your anime list and the background. I don't recognise the girl on the body pillow, who is she? I got a body pillow and cover of Coconut from Nekopara recently, my missus wasn't happy, although it's a great pillow to sleep on so she let me keep it, lol. You have watched a lot of series, i like your comments in the tag section, very useful, where you saw it and what you thought. I also like my guilty pleasure anime, currently enjoying Jimihen this season, basically soap/sitcom anime with tits n ass/sex.
Feb 20, 2021 10:21 AM

Aug 2011
I really appreciate the feedback on my TAGS I never thought anyone noticed. I started to add where I found/watched a particular anime years ago b/c it was so bloody difficult to find many anime, especially un-censored anime, that when I did find a site, I would add it to the TAGS so others could watch as well.
I work from home and my office is adorned w/ anime and military art and I have a collection of clocks that I have arranged as a "hidden Mickey" on the wall. They are set for the four main time zones in the States, GMT and Tokyo. There are two large blank spots that I plan to hang some shelves and put my small but growing collection of figurines.

As far as what the next series to watch, I will let you and @filifjonkan pick and I will join. You two seem to have something good going and I don't want to disrupt the flow. Maybe down the road you chose one of my picks.

BTW, the girl on my list is Nina Antalk from Chrome Shelled Regios.

Jul 25, 2021 2:56 AM

Apr 2019
Here are shows in both @23feanor and @inim's PTW as per July 2021. I picked them by hand, probably overlooked a few. bold = preference

https://myanimelist.net/anime/1690/Bokura_no
https://myanimelist.net/anime/37520/Dororo
https://myanimelist.net/anime/6746/Durarara
https://myanimelist.net/anime/32607/Giarlish_Number
https://myanimelist.net/anime/16918/Gin_no_Saji
https://myanimelist.net/anime/37105/Grand_Blue
https://myanimelist.net/anime/17729/Grisaia_no_Kajitsu
https://myanimelist.net/anime/37965/Kaze_ga_Tsuyoku_Fuiteiru
https://myanimelist.net/anime/274/Kiddy_Grade
https://myanimelist.net/anime/35079/Kino_no_Tabi__The_Beautiful_World_-_The_Animated_Series
https://myanimelist.net/anime/5678/Kobato
https://myanimelist.net/anime/11887/Kokoro_Connect
https://myanimelist.net/anime/32949/Kuzu_no_Honkai
https://myanimelist.net/anime/11933/Oda_Nobuna_no_Yabou
https://myanimelist.net/anime/1060/Oruchuban_Ebichu
https://myanimelist.net/anime/539/Tenchi_Muyou_Ryououki
https://myanimelist.net/anime/38826/Tenki_no_Ko

Here are a few carefully selected ideas for shows not on your list which I think fit the group.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/34964/Killing_Bites
Dumb trash connoisseur fun with scantly clad animal girls beating the crap out of each other in a battle royale.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/2559/Romeo_no_Aoi_Sora
Very high rated World Masterpiece Theater entry based on a Swiss-German novel. It's relatively short for WMT, can serve as gateway drug.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/584/Noein__Mou_Hitori_no_Kimi_e
Plot and production era wise similar to Bokura No and Fantastic Children, lesser known than those, and with better reviews. It#s a time travel mystery story I never see discussed outside obscure elitist recommendations. Yet those are so strong that I expect to find a hidden gem in it.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/198/Speed_Grapher
https://myanimelist.net/anime/5682/Phantom__Requiem_for_the_Phantom
https://myanimelist.net/anime/6746/Durarara

Shows described as similar to Darker Than Black (i.e. conspiracy mystery thrillers). Never change a winning formula, right?

https://myanimelist.net/anime/855/Strawberry_Panic
https://myanimelist.net/anime/1699/Romeo_x_Juliet

The idea here is simple: non-highschool romance. RxJ is J-butchered Shakespeare, and Strawberry Panic is all out yuri melodrama designer drug. It's ships were actually create in a market research study of the target group, everything is artificial in the story. But then again, what's wrong with some good yuri LSD?
inimJul 25, 2021 3:18 AM

Jul 25, 2021 3:13 AM

Jun 2019
@inim thanks for putting this together, it's really useful for looking at the next show, which i was just thinking about funnily enough. I'm just watching eps 3&4 of DtB S2 now so will post my thoughts soon.

There's also Macross and Sailor Moon that we've mentioned before. Now that we've done a whole franchise I wouldn't mind tackling another longer show as the payoff is worth while. After the dark world of DtB i wouldn't mind a change of pace, maybe Kobato, Sailor Moon, Macross, Silver Spoon, Run with the Wind, Kino's Journey (i've heard that the earlier 2003 version is superior and looking at the mal score there is a vast difference 7.6 compared to 8.3 so maybe the earlier version?). I also haven't seen anything especially melodramatic, outside of seasonals like Higehiro, so Scum's Wish would fit that bill, but maybe for the show after the next one.

It's a shame you guys have seen Planetes and said how good it was as that would've been a good show for a watch group. It's on my radar to watch soon after seeing how much you both liked it.

Noein looks interesting and it has an english dub, so does Speed Grapher and Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom. Strawberry Panic looks good for other reasons, a bit like Mai Hime maybe with the shoujo ai vibes. All good suggestions and definitely shows I'd watch, so thanks.

@filifjonkan which shows from the above list do you like the look of, any additions you would you like to suggest?
23feanorJul 25, 2021 3:21 AM
Jul 25, 2021 4:01 AM

Apr 2019
23feanor said:
There's also Macross and Sailor Moon that we've mentioned before. Now that we've done a whole franchise I wouldn't mind tackling another longer show as the payoff is worth while.
I'm on the same page, it's always hard to start a 50+ episode show but so far it always paid. While Macross isn't formally on my PTW, consider it to be there. In terms of ~50 episode shows, this is my top 5 from PTW (excluding Sailor Moon & Macross, which both are at the same priority). This is a weird mix with many b-titles because I cleared the real heavy hitters already (Nana, Ashita no Joe, Cardcaptor Sakura, some WMT etc.).

https://myanimelist.net/anime/427/Kaleido_Star
https://myanimelist.net/anime/122/Full_Moon_wo_Sagashite
https://myanimelist.net/anime/1695/Les_Mis%C3%A9rables__Shoujo_Cosette
https://myanimelist.net/anime/874/Digimon_Tamers
https://myanimelist.net/anime/350/Ojamajo_Doremi
23feanor said:
Kino's Journey (i've heard that the earlier 2003 version is superior and looking at the mal score there is a vast difference 7.6 compared to 8.3 so maybe the earlier version?).
I've seen the 2003 version and all it's many OVAs already, unfortunately. So that interest is in particular into the remake. My experience with the same experiment for Berserk 1997 vs. CGI remake was fine. Not nearly as bad as the elitist lynch mob claimed.
23feanor said:
I also haven't seen anything especially melodramatic, outside of seasonals like Higehiro, so Scum's Wish would fit that bill [...] Strawberry Panic looks good for other reasons, a bit like Mai Hime maybe with the shoujo ai vibes.
Well if you need a quick intro to emotion sapping melodrama in anime, here's your starter kit. I only include mature melodrama (despite their school setting Onii-sama & Maria-sama are mature), of course there are many more targeted at teens such as Shaft's ef:Tales, KyoAni's KEY adaptions and so on.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/877/Nana - The best genre entry, and it's not even close.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/158/Maria-sama_ga_Miteru - Elite school lesbians and their 1st world problems
https://myanimelist.net/anime/795/Oniisama_e - Even more elite school lesbians having even more traumatic and existential 1st world problems
https://myanimelist.net/anime/4485/Kasei_Yakyoku - 4 episode gateway drug to the genre, quick watch and very different from "normal" anime

I've completed Mai-Hime and watched 1 ep of Strawberry Panic. There's a huge difference between both the overall look and feel and the way the yuri elements are played. Mai-Hime in a nutshell is fighting magical girl with not-so-subtle yuri baiting, along the lines of Nanoha and Madoka Magica. Strawberry Panic is privileged girls in fancy dresses discussing their 1st world problems in a mansion in a male-less world where everybody is gay. Basically the dumbed down version of Onii-sama or Maria-sama. Which I liked very much, that's how Strawberry got onto my PTW.

EDIT: Just found this pretty accurate top 20 yuri list, hve seen ~half of those. You'll notice that the genre splits into several sub-genres:
- Magical Girls (Madoka, Nanoha, Simoun, Mai-Hime, Destiny of a Shrine Maiden, ...)
- Elite Schools (Onii-sama, Maria-sama, Strawberry Panic, ...)
- Good old school and 1:1 romantic stories (Aoi Hana, Bloom Into You, Candyboy, ...)
- Ikuhara-sensei and his weird shit (Yuri Kuma Arashi, Utena, ...)
https://myanimelist.net/featured/1045/Top_20_Best_Yuri_Anime_of_All_Time__Girls_Love_to_Love
inimJul 25, 2021 4:51 AM

Aug 1, 2021 10:49 AM

Apr 2019
@23feanor @filifjonkan
filifjonkan said:
Hello and greetings from Sweden..

I hope you are doing all right: I am in a pretty good shape, having a four-week vacation is very good for your well-being.

I am honored to say what shows would be for the next watch. I have already watched "Silver Spoon", one of those healing SOL-animes, which I enjoyed immensely.

I am up for any of the other shows, but Durarara and Noein seemed most interesting, for some reason.

Have a nice week!
The two remaining shows are very close in my evaluation method, ultimately I think Noein has a microscopic edge over durarara.

Durarara:
+ Anidb rating 8.03, MAL 8.15 -> both critics and mainstream agree on it
- Written by Baccanno writer, didn't like that show too much
+ German dub exists, lazy watch
- Don't need any tag or genre for mal-badges
- Episodic (mostly)
- Hasn't many top recommendation I'm interested in or have seen linked
- Predominantly slightly-above-average ratings from my elitist review gang (6/10-ish), indicating a well done but mediocre show

Noein:
- Anidb 7.03, MAL 7.60 -> considering recency bias and obscurity, I guess that's fine. But lower than 8 too.
+ Gets higher ratings from the bunch of people I care for w/r to ratings, aka "the elitist mafia"
- Only EN-sub available, no dubs and no DE-sub
+ Can use year 2005 for mal-badges
+ I like the top recommendations and watched all
+ Seems to be hit or miss, my elitist gang rates it either 3-5 or 8-10, no middle ground ratings.
+ I suggested the show and should eat my own dogfood

Aug 4, 2021 7:49 AM
Dec 2018
@inim since we more or less have decided to watch Durarara, I started to watch another series by the same author, namely Baccano. It is, so far, a series that makes little to no sense, so I hope it gets a grip soon.

Take care!
Aug 14, 2021 3:43 AM
Dec 2018
I am looking forward to start watching Durarara next week @23feanor and @inim. As I have written before, I have watched four or five episodes but I don't mind re-watching them, because honestly, they are a bit hard to come into.

Take care, tomodadchi!
Aug 28, 2021 1:47 AM

Jun 2019
filifjonkan said:
@inim since we more or less have decided to watch Durarara, I started to watch another series by the same author, namely Baccano. It is, so far, a series that makes little to no sense, so I hope it gets a grip soon.

Take care!

Did you finish Baccano, what were your thoughts? I've recently added the priority function to my ptw list and have made Baccano a high priority show.
Aug 28, 2021 4:10 AM
Dec 2018
@23 feanor No, I did not watch more than two episodes. It was difficult to watch, because it made no sense whatsoever. But that is only my opinion..

Have a nice day!
Sep 2, 2021 1:43 PM

Apr 2019
@23feanor @filifjonkan

Durarara!! is coming to an end soon, and so are my current watches. So it's time to pick my poison for this month and I'd like to harmonize the group watch with the other picks. I basically always want a "hard and serious" watch complemented by an "easy, episodic, ideally dubbed" watch. And the third slot goes to some guilty pleasure or hype of the week.

So, my suggestion would be to simply use the runner up from last discussion, Noein: Mou Hitori no Kimi e (2005). As far as I understand the synopsis, this is a more serious (but not dark) mystery (but not overly confusing) show centered around time travel paradoxes. I'd pick a light show as complement in my 2ndary pick then.

How about you, that one?

Sep 2, 2021 11:39 PM

Jun 2019
inim said:
@23feanor @filifjonkan

Durarara!! is coming to an end soon, and so are my current watches. So it's time to pick my poison for this month and I'd like to harmonize the group watch with the other picks. I basically always want a "hard and serious" watch complemented by an "easy, episodic, ideally dubbed" watch. And the third slot goes to some guilty pleasure or hype of the week.

So, my suggestion would be to simply use the runner up from last discussion, Noein: Mou Hitori no Kimi e (2005). As far as I understand the synopsis, this is a more serious (but not dark) mystery (but not overly confusing) show centered around time travel paradoxes. I'd pick a light show as complement in my 2ndary pick then.

How about you, that one?

My top picks would be Macross, Kobato or Run With the Wind, but as always I'm easy. Noein has come to Funimation this week I noticed, but not the eng dub yet.
Sep 3, 2021 1:32 AM

Apr 2019
23feanor said:
inim said:
@23feanor @filifjonkan

How about you, that one?

My top picks would be Macross, Kobato or Run With the Wind, but as always I'm easy. Noein has come to Funimation this week I noticed, but not the eng dub yet.
From those 3, in order:
1) Macross (because I really want a 1982 show to complete a badge)
2) Run with the Wind (because I heared a lot of great things, like Ping Pong the Animation and not really "only" a sports anime
3) Kobato (not now, I just picked a "light" one in https://myanimelist.net/anime/490/Paniponi_Dash It's a bit like Teacher Despair x Hidamari Sketch x Lucky Star, btw, CGDCT comedy from Shaft)

Sep 3, 2021 1:37 AM

Jun 2019
inim said:
23feanor said:

From those 3, in order:
2) Run with the Wind (because I heared a lot of great things, like Ping Pong the Animation and not really "only" a sports anime
3) Kobato (not now, I just picked a "light" one in https://myanimelist.net/anime/490/Paniponi_Dash It's a bit like Teacher Despair x Hidamari Sketch x Lucky Star, btw, CGDCT comedy from Shaft)

I've wanted to try Macross for a while and would love to pick it up next. Also DtB and D! have felt a bit 'heavy' for me (DtB in a good way, really enjoyed that franchise) so wanted something a bit lighter and Noein seems a bit complicated, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it. So my pick would be Macross but am happy to go with Noein or Run with the Wind (same for me have heard great things about it plus there's an eng dub). @filifjonkan are you ok with Macross, or would you prefer Noein or Run with the Wind?

@inim Paniponi Dash, it looks interesting, not sure why i haven't added it to my ptw list as if it's anything like Hidamari Sketch from Shaft I'll love it. Will be interested to see what you think. I've also started Azumanga Daioh, another school comedy that is a cgdct show but at the same time it isn't, it's like Nichijou in that it is just pure comedy. I can't stop watching it.
23feanorSep 3, 2021 1:46 AM
Sep 3, 2021 3:28 AM

Apr 2019
23feanor said:
inim said:
From those 3, in order:

I've wanted to try Macross for a while and would love to pick it up next. Also DtB and D! have felt a bit 'heavy' for me (DtB in a good way, really enjoyed that franchise) so wanted something a bit lighter and Noein seems a bit complicated, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it. So my pick would be Macross but am happy to go with Noein or Run with the Wind (same for me have heard great things about it plus there's an eng dub). @filifjonkan are you ok with Macross, or would you prefer Noein or Run with the Wind?

@inim Paniponi Dash, it looks interesting, not sure why i haven't added it to my ptw list as if it's anything like Hidamari Sketch from Shaft I'll love it. Will be interested to see what you think. I've also started Azumanga Daioh, another school comedy that is a cgdct show but at the same time it isn't, it's like Nichijou in that it is just pure comedy. I can't stop watching it.
I've only watched 1 episode of PaniPoni so far, and it definitely is a lot like those mixed comedy-CGDCT shows, it has a lot of bizarre humor and it's visually appealing because ... Shaft / Akiyuki Shinbou directed (like Hidamari Sketch). Think: group of school girls like in Hidamari, a lightened up version of the humor of Teacher Despair, and random parody / references like in Lucky Star. And given it's 2005, it's "historically important" for the whole genre as it pretty much is only preceded by Azumanga. We could also pick that one, it's not too late.

Suggestion: Just peek into episode 1 and make an assessment. Even if we pick Macross now, that's a good next pick after and I could halt the watch. It's light and comedic and still interesting for an old elitist fart like myself. So that is perfect material for the group watch, imho.
inimSep 3, 2021 4:11 AM

Sep 3, 2021 4:17 AM

Jun 2019
inim said:
23feanor said:

I've only watched 1 episode of PaniPoni so far, and it definitely is a lot like those mixed comedy-CGDCT shows, it has a lot of bizarre humor and it's visually appealing because ... Shaft / Akiyuki Shinbou directed (like Hidamari Sketch). Think: group of school girls like in Hidamari, a lightened up version of the humor of Teacher Despair, and random parody / references like in Lucky Star. And given it's 2005, it's "historically important" for the whole genre as it pretty much is only preceded by Azumanga. We could also pick that one, it's not too late.

Suggestion: Just peek into episode 1 and make an assessment. Even if we pick Macross now, that's a good next pick after and I could halt the watch. It's light and comedic and still interesting for an old elitist fart like myself. So that is perfect material for the group watch, imho.

If you're talking about watching PaniPoni next that sounds great. I checked out a few trailers and love the look of it. I've already added it to my ptw list (recently included the priority function and it goes straight in as a high priority) and it's available in eng dub on Funimation.

So maybe watch PaniPoni next and Macross after that (and Noein 3rd)? Does that sound ok @inim and @filifjonkan
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Discuss the Series You Just Finished ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Chelle - Jul 27, 2009

2914 by 23feanor »»
2 hours ago

» The Heroic Legend of Arslan (2015) - May 2024 Group Watch ( 1 2 )

whiteflame55 - May 19

50 by whiteflame55 »»
2 hours ago

» Secret of Cerulean Sand (2002) ( 1 2 )

whiteflame55 - Apr 26

72 by 23feanor »»
May 23, 12:50 AM

Sticky: » New Member Introductions ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Chelle - Oct 3, 2009

836 by Evans_Born »»
May 21, 5:09 PM

» Kobato (2009) - April 2024 Group Watch ( 1 2 )

23feanor - Apr 2

54 by filifjonkan »»
May 6, 7:49 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.