Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 22, 2020 5:20 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
I'm kinda conflicted on the ending.

On one hand, it's cool to see Akira making a comeback again and running after all this time. Her friends are also so proud of her. On the other hand, the ending just felt really underwhelming.
Feb 23, 2020 11:58 AM
May 2013
The ending was really underwhelming, not to mention Kondo being a skittish retard throughout the whole series was just annoying, especially since I'm guessing most people are reading this for the sake of future wish fulfillment (assuming the majority are under 45).
Feb 25, 2020 5:25 AM

May 2013
The ending was a disappointment .
Feb 29, 2020 3:11 AM
Jul 2019
"She fell in love" Just like rain it eventually passes, "With the blue summer sky after the rain had stopped".Like rain it comes again.
I interpret this story as Akiras fleeting love, even if it does end, it will come again, you just need to know how to get back up from it. Of course this story had many other meanings that the author most likely left to the reader to interpret themselves, but to me this stood out the most.
Mar 19, 2020 4:27 PM
Oct 2016
To me the ending was beautiful, obviously there were some parts I didn’t like but I think this kind of ending suited the story more.
Mar 22, 2020 10:38 PM

Feb 2019
I feel a bit conflicted about the ending. Yeah, it was a bit underwhelming, but somewhere along the way I expected this. Also I expected this because I watched the anime first, but I have to say the anime ending was worse (not saying it was bad, but comparatively it was worse).

On the one hand, I am happy that both managed to continue pursuing their dreams. Glad to see that Kondou managed to continue on writing and got nominated (?) for a literary prize. Also glad to see Akira running again and breaking new records and just blasting through with everything she's got. It seems they are happy in their current lives, living it to the fullest.

On the other hand, I did come here for and expecting romance. It was one of the main draws, if not the ONLY draw. So I gotta say I'm disappointed on that front.

But if I think about it, the way the story was from the beginning, this is how things would turn out to be. And I don't think it's that bad of an ending. It feels like Mayuzuki-sensei has one or two or more messages in this manga and the story. I admit I haven't really figured it all out yet, but I think it has something to do with reaching for your dreams, both for young people like Akira and for those already in their mid-forties like Kondou. In a sense, they were both waiting for the rain that is their feeling discouraged to end, until finally the sky cleared up and they could continue. And in that rain, while waiting for it to end, they met. And a part of them wishes that the rain would never stop, that they would always be there, some small measure of happiness would be achieved, because it's a safer space. To face the world, to reach for your dreams, you need courage. And a lot of times it's far easier to just not. But through each other they realised that they still wanted to reach for their dreams, and that the best thing for both of them would be to pursue them.

I hope somewhere along the way Kondou and Akira meet again, probably not as potential lovers, but just as two people who changed each others' lives.

I was bummed when I realised the manga was headed towards a non-romantic ending. But as I read the final chapters and the last two volumes, I realised it wasn't so bad. It has its own nostalgic, heart-wrenching, bitter, yet sweet and hopeful tone. That's why I think it's not a sad ending. It's just... bittersweet. But not just bittersweet, but there's hope and excitement at the end for their lives.

Loved it more than I thought after realising it wasn't ending in a romantic way. Will miss this somewhat.
Mar 23, 2020 3:09 AM

Oct 2010
it was ok, it was hinted that Akira wants to run again in previous chapters. Glad Kondou began writing and could finish his novels.
Seeing Yui, Akira and Haruka at a table was cool, their friendship is nice.
I guess Kase is not working at Garden but who knows what happened between him and his sister, Yoshizawa remains an idiot.

I expected more romance yet this was some sort of a bildungsroman, Akira and Kondou grew as characters, 7/10
Apr 25, 2020 4:43 PM
Jan 2019
The ending was really nice. The mood and tone matched the entire manga. Many people expected a more romanctic plot between Tachibana and kondou. But honestly, i liked how the story was mainly about them reconnecting their respective passion. And the anime did a great job of showing that. However, i wished there was more focus on the side characters.

I watched the anime before reading the manga. I think people are put off by the anime because of the fact that a 17 year old girl likes a middle aged man.

Overall, this was a good manga
Kakez_001Apr 25, 2020 4:50 PM
Jul 2, 2020 5:41 AM

Feb 2007
A bit of an open ending, although not entirely without hope for them to meet again in the future.

That damn fake-out with the Akutagawa Prize, though... :D
Jul 2, 2020 7:05 PM
Sep 2018
Dang... It feels like a rushed ending. Really disappointed with this.
Jul 4, 2020 3:39 AM

Oct 2012
the ending sucked.

but i guess it was never going to happen that they end up together. this isnt DNK.
Sep 2, 2020 8:27 PM

Jun 2015
While the ending could have been better I feel like it was realistic. I am glad that they both managed to get past their inner conflicts.
:)
Mar 23, 2021 10:31 PM
Jul 2018
Just finished this manga, and it was very good. Despite the age gap, I was rooting for Tachibana and Boss as a couple. But, at some point in the story, it started to get clear that it wouldn't be the case. Tachibana had two paths: staying with the boss (ie, not leaving her comfort zone) or going back to run. Yeah, she could have both, but things don't work like that in real life. I think that was the author's point

Even though I wanted to see both of them together, I don't dislike this ending with a more realistic approach
Apr 4, 2021 9:10 AM
Feb 2019
Just finished the Anime manga and live action, but for me this is 8/10, first let's talk about manga, u guys can si that this js no shojou manga but sheinen,mean for adult man, and this is not a loce story but romance (no that not same) romance more general, it's about akira and kondo who left what they loved, akira left his track and kondo left his novel, but some how without realizing each other they help each other and in the cross they seperate, romance in this manga just a diversiondiversion from the main problem, bc the main problem is they almost give up to what they love, and romance just a media. Then lest talking about anime, especially the ending for me not a bad but not godd as well, i watch the anine before manga, i thought it will have second season but WIT studio just remake the ending, it little underwhelming but if have second season i believe it will great, but really i love how WIT studio make all the Ost opening and ending by Yoasobi (re:frain) and for live action, not really good, 6.5/10, bc a lot off scene in manga or anime not filmed in LA but it's normal bc there is ni way u can make 12 eps anime into 2 hours LA, overall i like this 8/10, just another lovely kind of romance
Jan 6, 2023 2:47 AM

May 2014
I am totally fine with the ending, but it still feels a bit rushed and off, even though the 82 chapters were a bit of extra length compared to the actual story content. Overall still an enjoyable manga (with heavy slice of life edges, how is this a "just" a seinen?) with some nicely shaped characters
abotreikaJan 8, 2023 9:36 AM
Jan 23, 2023 10:35 PM
Nov 2010
The last chapter is probably a bit too long and almost author's way to trying to justify the end. I think the previous 3 already laid most of the ground work and heavy lifting and can probably be wrapped up in a few panels at the end of chapter 81.

The poignant dissolution of the status quo is what's needed to lift each of the respective mains out of their self-imposed stasis. For there's no progress without change. The romantic in me would not necessarily rule out the future developments, but in terms of priority, the then and now of Tachibana's track aspirations are obviously top priority for Kondou. 17 is but a brief moment and there should be no regrets, even if Kondou's own loss is the consequences of his single minded pursuit of a dream, that also dulled his edges (instead of age as he would like to claim). Tachibana's love is really just a crush, for it is never explained exactly why other than Kondou being there at the right place and right time when she's under the rain. And as intense teenager emotions are, they can be just as fleeting like summer rain. That they both professed 'will not forget' is author's way of ushering in an end, and thematically necessarily for the transition to take center stage. Realistically, or perhaps optimistically, it merely changes the now but not perpetuity. But then again, if feelings do subside following times apart, then it really just cements the idea that it was a crush, after all.

More topics from this board

» How many chapters did the anime adapt?

TsutanaiFuun - May 22, 2023

6 by OG_Otaku »»
Jun 4, 2023 10:01 PM

Poll: » The End Chapter 82 (Spoilers)

AsT5 - Mar 31, 2018

22 by jay4ubaby »»
Dec 16, 2022 5:15 PM

» I need help with this...

Rxfvlll - Apr 16, 2022

15 by RaymanM »»
Nov 1, 2022 5:54 AM

» Takashi Yoshizawa (+ spoilers)

removed-user - Sep 29, 2020

4 by KeyToTheBasement »»
Aug 5, 2021 6:13 PM

Poll: » Koi wa Ameagari no You ni Chapter 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 30, 2015

3 by Dropes »»
Mar 28, 2021 7:09 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.