Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 27, 2019 8:03 AM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Created an episode discussion thread since there wasn't one.

Just finished watching it in the cinema. Wasn't expecting much from the trailer but yea...The trailer was the best part of movie.

Beyond that point, it was just a downhill ride filled with disappointment and hot air.

So instead, i'll just list out those moment that surprised me during the whole run of the movie.

Gundam Narrative being able to split into 3 (i think) really caught me off guard and gave me ZZ vibes.
Neo Zeong II was just..urgh.

OST was amazing as usual.

Avoid watching it if you can.
Feb 3, 2019 8:37 PM

Apr 2013
Ok I watched this movie twice now.

So I still dont get it. The three of them ended up being actual real Newtypes right?

I know for sure Jonah Basta became a new type at the end of the movie because only newtypes can activate destroy mode right?
Feb 10, 2019 6:52 PM

Aug 2010
Haven't watch this yet, but can anyone give me a spoiler if the main cast survive at the end of the movie?

Because I get a feeling that blonde girl will end up dead...
Feb 12, 2019 6:37 AM

Apr 2013
all the girls introduced in the movie dies. lol.
Feb 12, 2019 8:06 PM

Aug 2010
G_Aker said:
WTF. Really?

Is this Tomino show or something? lol
Feb 13, 2019 5:54 AM

Sep 2013
G_Aker said:

Minerva still alive.
Edit: sorry didn't read it carefully. Minerva not introduced from this movie

Good to know banagher still alive too.

A little bit disappointed with the animation. I expect Gundam RG but ended with Gundam HG at most scene
Feb 13, 2019 5:58 AM

Apr 2013
hiruman said:
G_Aker said:
WTF. Really?

yes rly. lol.

Mineva is not a new character so she not dead. But the rest of the girls all dies hahahaha
Feb 16, 2019 6:04 AM
Jul 2013
mm,,
I am new here, and i a bit confused
what will happen to phenex, banagher and jona? is there any sequel to this?
and what this cyber newtype? is cyber newtype just like ultimate coordinator in seed?
for UC gundam series, i just watch unicorn and this

thank you

n.b : this movie is really cool, i love the animation even thought i confused about cyber newtype
SternengesangFeb 16, 2019 6:09 AM
Feb 16, 2019 6:52 AM

Apr 2012
albertsqy said:
mm,,
and what this cyber newtype? is cyber newtype just like ultimate coordinator in seed?

thank you

n.b : this movie is really cool, i love the animation even thought i confused about cyber newtype

I'm new to Gundam and only watch Unicorn and this too. What i got is Cyber Newtype is an artificial Newtype just like Marida.

Nice drama, ost, and animation. Disappointed to know that the main (and best) Gundam is Phenex not Narrative.
にゃす!
Feb 16, 2019 9:11 AM
Jul 2013
Nyanpath said:
albertsqy said:
mm,,

thank you

I'm new to Gundam and only watch Unicorn and this too. What i got is Cyber Newtype is an artificial Newtype just like Marida.

Nice drama, ost, and animation. Disappointed to know that the main (and best) Gundam is Phenex not Narrative.

so, it was like newtype but made from normal human? is this cyber newtype stronger then natural newtype?

btw is there any news about bd release date? i need to rewatch this, yesterday was the last day aired in my local theater
SternengesangFeb 16, 2019 9:14 AM
Feb 16, 2019 9:19 AM

Dec 2015
@albertsqy Basically, people are going through a mix of drugs and other (mis)treatments in order to "reeducate them" and push them to develop Newtype-like abilities. In the end, you get a few effective (and broken) individuals.
See more in Zeta, ZZ, CCA. (even though 0079 is the most interesting part, it doesn't have Cyber NT who were developed later in th euniverse)

albertsqy said:
to make a ultimate coordinator, to push the newtype abilities beyond the limit

No. The idea was to weaponize Newtypes (it starts in 0079, where brainwaves/psychic of NTs are used to control ranged weapon), but since NT are "rare", to start from scratch: you take/capture a normal human (preferably a young girl) and drug/train/brainwash/whatever her until your guinea pig develop ESP-like abilities.
The mind state of those girls was... well terrible in several ways.

Cyber Newtype treatment would be later (093) improved if I remember well (a guy in CCA was subjected to it and didn't turn mad.)

@RX-782 "All over the place", just like anything Fukui writes/scripts, right?
Rei_IIIFeb 24, 2019 8:27 PM
Feb 16, 2019 9:24 AM
Jul 2013
Rei366 said:
@albertsqy Basically, people are going through a mix of drugs and other (mis)treatments in order to "reeducate them" and push them to develop Newtype-like abilities. In the end, you get a few effective (and broken) individuals.
See more in Zeta, ZZ, CCA. (even though 0079 is the most interesting part, it doesn't have Cyber NT who were developed later in th euniverse)

oh, i see, so it was like to make a ultimate coordinator, to push the newtype abilities beyond the limit right?

thanks for the answer XD
Feb 19, 2019 6:40 PM
May 2017
hiruman said:
G_Aker said:
WTF. Really?

it could've had a chance at being good if it was a tomino show.
Feb 19, 2019 10:16 PM

Nov 2012
Movie was really mediocre, it just felt all over the place.
Feb 19, 2019 10:48 PM

Aug 2017
Saw it & I enjoyed it well enough.

Wouldn't really call it great but nothing I found was offensivly bad & the visuals were great so I liked it.

At the very least I'm looking forward to Hathaway's Flash more now if only for the extremely cynical ending hopefully devoid of Newtype hax God powers.
I used to be a watchmaker.
Feb 20, 2019 3:51 AM

Apr 2013
Would've been better split into two movies or several OVAs
Feb 20, 2019 9:01 AM

Aug 2010
madbandboy said:
hiruman said:
WTF. Really?

G Reco exist so it could be worse too.
Feb 20, 2019 4:30 PM
May 2017
hiruman said:
madbandboy said:

G-reco's better than almost everything post-Turn A though, only Build Fighters is better.
Feb 21, 2019 7:54 AM

Mar 2018
-- THERE ARE SPOILERS IN THIS POST (if you're concerned about spoilers why are you here?) --

Man, they leaned so heavily into the space magic on this one. I just don't know what went wrong here.

Firstly, doesn't the entire premise of the movie cause a lore problem? Newtypes are awakened by life in space, so how did this random earth girl suddenly have a Newtype premonition? If these wonder children saved the town, how did they do that? Who would listen to a little kid saying to evacuate based on a hunch? In 0079 Newtypes aren't really a "thing" people accept as real yet.

Secondly, how many times did they need to show the flashback (flashforward??) at the beach? How many times did we need to hear her say "I dont know if heaven is real but I know souls are real, there's more than just this life" yeah we get it. You don't need to show the same thing repeatedly. It's like they were just padding for time in a movie that was already too long.

The mobile suits themselves; the Phenex was fine I guess, and it makes sense as a third unit to 01 and 02 (how are so many secret suits built???) but the titular Gundam NT barely had any time to be a "character". Nothing that I can remember about its development or where it came from, it armaments aren't really explained, and they they kill it, but not before revealing it has a convenient core fighter for a few seconds. Re-hashing the already kind of ridiculous NewType Destroy thing made me roll my eyes, and after they made such a big deal about how Jonah was unable to control it, then it ... never came up again. The Neo Zeong II was just ... ugh. Why would this even be built? Why would someone pull out some blueprints from 20 years ago of a failed mobile armor and be like, yeah, let's make another one of these?

The best thing about this for me was the callbacks to the earlier series, like seeing Char speaking as seen in Zeta, and seeing a few frames of the Zeta itself. Those parts got me excited, but they were very brief.

Even the action for me was disappointing. I get it that in a post-Unicorn world, we're seeing power creep problems a la most shounen anime (How can Goku keep getting stronger and fighting more powerful foes?) but they need to remember these are huge machines, not ninjas. They often move so fast with so many "special effects" it can be almost impossible to actually follow what's going on in a scene. Then when they show the grunt suits standing around it's almost comical how much nothing they're doing. When you can actually tell what's happening, the animation was, I thought, overall pretty good. I really liked when you could tell things were hand-drawn, though the CGI for me didn't take much away. Aside from the fact that, I guess, they think they can get away with the obnoxiously fast action by using CGI.

One thing I did like that they did was the red herring about having another "things falling on earth" doomsday scenario. As soon as they started talking about it I groaned, they're gonna drop more stuff on earth? But they didn't happen, so it was nice that they showed some restraint.

The first few minutes of this movie really got my hopes up. The return to 0079 and some beautiful animation on the cliff with the birds and everything had my hopes up. Seeing the colony drop reanimated again was nice. But excited as I was about seeing this I was already checking my watch about halfway through. I really wanted this to be good, but man it just was not for me. I really like Gundam when it's more grounded in reality, and this was just NOT that. Not that at all.

So I wonder at this point if they're going to split the UC timeline and go heavy down this space magic path that people seem to like. Otherwise I'm not sure how they're going to reign it back in to line up with Twilight Axis and F91 unless they plan to just retcon them away.
Feb 21, 2019 8:18 AM

Mar 2018
madbandboy said:
hiruman said:

G-reco's better than almost everything post-Turn A though, only Build Fighters is better.

I would say it was also better than the Zeta New Translation movies, which were just horrendous on every level
Feb 21, 2019 4:19 PM
May 2017
llamathrust109 said:
madbandboy said:

I would say it was also better than the Zeta New Translation movies, which were just horrendous on every level

i only watched the third Zeta compilation, but it was horrible.
Feb 24, 2019 3:52 PM

Mar 2018
madbandboy said:
llamathrust109 said:

And for what it's worth, the third one is the best of the three. But that's not saying much. I as convinced to watch Zeta proper after watching the movies, and I'm glad I did, because Zeta is my favorite non-OVA Gundam series. It's incredible how badly they butchered those movie releases.
May 27, 2019 1:20 PM

Dec 2011
I don't understand the utility of this movie. Almost everything is bad.
Characters, gundam and fight.

The Villain was...
And no development for main characters so we can't like them.

6/10 because Banagher appears and ost was cool. But without that it's a 5.
Raikiri29May 27, 2019 1:25 PM
May 27, 2019 2:54 PM

Feb 2017
Oh well, that was quite a pointless movie. Can't say I liked anything. Couldn't get interested in neither the characters nor the story. At least we got to see Mineva and Banana again.
May 27, 2019 4:23 PM

Aug 2016
Goddamnit...this is why I hate Newtypes in Gundam. Such attention whores by design. Take a series about factions warring about the civil liberties of the colonized being encroached, and use the conflict to show how war isn't the answer...

But then take a left turn and make it all about psychic crybabies who's nonsensical backstories just retread other series' canon and reuse old (child soldier experimentations are wrong muhhh) tropes.

Someone had to have planned Gundam Narrative's plot, then script it, then animate it, AND IT WAS GREENLIT AT EVERY STAGE.

The level of contempt they must have for their consumers is ridiculous. They assume that because its UC, people will be happy to buy the merch/BDs. Like this whole thing was just a shitty hour and a half infomercial for the NT Gunplas.

For the love of God, keep this entire production away from Hathaway's Flash.
Somali_StrawhatMay 27, 2019 4:29 PM
May 28, 2019 10:02 PM

Jun 2016
Should have been as long or twice as long as the original unicorn. A lot of great idea's and concepts. The 20 min stream did a great job showing that. Movie on the otherhand, had way too much crammed into it.

Skips from one thing to the next, somehow capturing the phenex becomes an everybody teamup to fight the big bad.

Although Gundam was one of my first anime and is something I'll always be coming back to, this is the first time I've actually been excited for a release and this was a total let down.

Great advertisement, poor movie.
May 29, 2019 12:36 PM

Jun 2011
Characters were just bad, especially dat Zoltan... (why would he shoot in the colony really ? Clearly felt it was for the plot...)

And bad idea to put so much importance on a dead heroine, and flashbacks.

But it still has some potential, depending on how MC matured.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 30, 2019 1:22 PM
Jul 2011
We only get to see Banagher fire one shot of beam magnun, totally worth it. It looks like they didn't dismantled the Unicorn after all.

I've been craving for some mecha action, this was a good fix. I wish this movie was longer.
May 31, 2019 6:12 PM

Feb 2011
Unfortunately this movie felt utterly pointless. It's always awesome seeing 2D mechs in action (might as well those enjoy while we still can) but the story was pretty non-existent and the characters are such bores. This didn't feel a Universal Century Gundam series at all despite all the constant references to past events.

I'm also just really done with the whole Newtype thing. Unicorn already went way too far with that shit in its final episode and now this thing comes along and only reminds how annoying that drivel was.

Yes Sunrise, Unicorn (overall) was pretty awesome, you don't have to try and make the same thing but without much substance. Move on and PLEASE for the love of god let Hathaway's Flash be awesome unlike this movie. I gave it the benefit of the doubt with a 6 but after letting it sink in, more than a 5 it ain't getting from me.
Jun 1, 2019 9:41 AM

Jan 2010
Man, I'm so conflicted about this movie. It has many beautiful and emotional scenes, but the story just doesn't make sense at times. They start off chasing Phenex, but then they have to fight this other guy, the main guy is kinda useless, Michelle's sacrifice is kinda dumb ... It has to be a 7 from me, but some scenes are so great, if the story was more coherent it'd definitely be a 9 from me.
(|__/) Never give up, aim for the top!
(='.'=) Top wo nerae!
o(")(") Anime music: http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=777199
Jun 1, 2019 11:48 AM
Apr 2016
Seiya0890 said:
Characters were just bad, especially dat Zoltan... (why would he shoot in the colony really ? Clearly felt it was for the plot...)

I guess the vast majority of viewers seeing this film MUST have knowledge about the previous entries.
It was not clearly stated why Zoltan was as unhinged as he was, but him saying "I AM NOT A FAILURE" about ten times should hint that he was considered... a failure. More precisely, he was a "failed" Char's clone that, due to his origin and treatment, became cruel, uncontrolable and frankly mad. You ask why would a mad person shoot inside the colony? I ask, why wouldn't he? To be honest the question you ask signals a sub-optimal understanding of the film. There are no bad questions, but some questions can be easily answered by oneself if the matter is thoroughly examined. Even though this time it was on the surface, really.

Overall an amazing entry with a lot more philosophical outlook than I got accustomed to in Gundam. They have my appreciation and respect. Hopefully whatever follows will not stray too far from this shift.
Boltz said:
Man, I'm so conflicted about this movie. It has many beautiful and emotional scenes, but the story just doesn't make sense at times. They start off chasing Phenex, but then they have to fight this other guy, the main guy is kinda useless, Michelle's sacrifice is kinda dumb ... It has to be a 7 from me, but some scenes are so great, if the story was more coherent it'd definitely be a 9 from me.

I could try explaining it from the 0 to 100, which would take a lot, but lets try to shorten it and start at 50.
The New Type children were supposedly an ascended kind of humanity that ascended after they were exposed to space (cosmos) (which is an old scientifical theory that remaining in space could alter (human) beings on fundamental level). It did happen to that one blond haired girl - Rita. She became something beyond and above humanity. A being unshackled by mortal human faults, pure and untainted in comparison to modern (the humanity that exists during the film events) (and not only) humanity. Through its power, New Type Rita could bring "immortality" in a sense, where the "soul" of humans could reside in the universe, anchored to things like Psycho-frame, even after the body ceases to function and exist. But throughout the whole film it is questioned whether humans should force their way into ascension and immortality. The Phenex is running away to not let humanity force ascension. At the same time it fights its opposite - Neo Zeong, being a Psycho-frame, also containted the same power as Phenex does, except a complete opposite. Even worse, it was filled with rage and malice of previous pilots, finally released when Zoltan was defeated. Literally released into space and causing a lot of explosions.
The film ends with Jona giving up since he lost two dear friends (and a girl he loves), but Banagher reminds him that if he keeps on living, one day they might meet again. Because if he stopped there, no ascension would happen. He would never reach them there. And the same is true for the whole humanity as well. These allusions conclude yet another discourse into philosophy through giant mechs, explosions and coloured light-beams.
Daniel_NaumovJun 1, 2019 12:21 PM
Re:formed
Jun 1, 2019 1:08 PM

Dec 2015
PLACEHOLDER

Enjoyment: ?3?/5
Foreseeable score: 3-5/10

madbandboy said:

The first movie, from what I remember, condenses its part very well. (of course, you still have to digest the fact the digital scenes have a totally different paint scheme and chara-design)

@Somali_Strawhat Everything by Fukui is magically green-lighted. (the guy got to realize his dream of making a Moon² story, even though they allow only a manga) Just imagine him adapting Tomino's novel... (ahahahaha...)
ALso, I think it tried to ride more on the Unicorn "nostalgia" than on the UC nostalgia (that's the mission left to Hathaway)

@Daniel_Naumov What follows supposedly has nothing to do with that kind of "Fukui-shy" thing, it should be more "Tomino-esque" (if they have the courage to keep it so).

June 4, 2019
@WindH20 But "explaining NT" should not even be thought about, it's a concept that was made in order to explain some elements in the initial show and used as a "metaphor" for ideas/ideals that the author wanted to illustrate. It's not some grounded element made out of pseudo-science like colonies, Sides, etc.

In the end, it would be like trying to "explain" the Force and come up with The Phantom Menace.

Somali_Strawhat said:
I just finished reading the first chapter of Moon Gundam. I can't believe that he made a manga about some hillarious zany ZZ adventure, and fleshed it out into its own branching story. Like, as if anyone was concerned about the space Aztecs lore lmfao wtf. Goddamn it, how did Fukui get this role? Someone explain it please!

Fukui seems to be popular with his "technology" and military-based novels and became a very attractive name to "revitalize" old stories (the remake or readaptation of the story where a JSDF squadron is lost in the XVIth century for example, or Harlock, a character and type of story that he absolutely didn't understand, etc)
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1593790/
Since you like Tomino's Gundam and the way the man conveyed its ideas through his stories and world, you'll be delighted to learn that the Gundamaniac Fukui adapted Turn A into a novel (if I remember well).

Out of curiosity, did you appreciate Zeta , where the teenagers soap-opera and the NT magic exploded, and ZZ? (what about Char's magnificent movie?)
I'm asking because I can't get an idea through your absence of marks.
Rei_IIIJun 4, 2019 2:55 AM
Jun 2, 2019 2:01 AM

Jun 2011
Daniel_Naumov said:
Seiya0890 said:

I guess the vast majority of viewers seeing this film MUST have knowledge about the previous entries.
It was not clearly stated why Zoltan was as unhinged as he was, but him saying "I AM NOT A FAILURE" about ten times should hint that he was considered... a failure. More precisely, he was a "failed" Char's clone that, due to his origin and treatment, became cruel, uncontrolable and frankly mad. You ask why would a mad person shoot inside the colony? I ask, why wouldn't he? To be honest the question you ask signals a sub-optimal understanding of the film. There are no bad questions, but some questions can be easily answered by oneself if the matter is thoroughly examined. Even though this time it was on the surface, really..

Please, "I am mad, I know it is bad to shoot inside the colony, I was told not to, and yet I will do it with a smile to prove I am not a failure".
After that " Damn I failed, gotta kill one of the only girl of the show and run ..." (he could have just run away though, without taking the risk of being shot by her who only followed her orders)

Spare me the "sub-optimal understanding of the film", it was clearly forceful and bad written.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 2, 2019 2:15 AM
Apr 2016
Seiya0890 said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

It was not clearly stated why Zoltan was as unhinged as he was, but him saying "I AM NOT A FAILURE" about ten times should hint that he was considered... a failure. More precisely, he was a "failed" Char's clone that, due to his origin and treatment, became cruel, uncontrolable and frankly mad. You ask why would a mad person shoot inside the colony? I ask, why wouldn't he? To be honest the question you ask signals a sub-optimal understanding of the film. There are no bad questions, but some questions can be easily answered by oneself if the matter is thoroughly examined. Even though this time it was on the surface, really..

Please, "I am mad, I know it is bad to shoot inside the colony, I was told not to, and yet I will do it with a smile to prove I am not a failure".
After that " Damn I failed, gotta kill one of the only girl of the show and run ..." (he could have just run away though, without taking the risk of being shot by her who only followed her orders)

Spare me the "sub-optimal understanding of the film", it was clearly forceful and bad written.

I guess you lack knowledge of how thing happen in "real" world, on this planet of ours. Especially in terms with insanity and following orders. Maybe one day, then.
Jun 2, 2019 3:03 AM

Jun 2011
Daniel_Naumov said:
Seiya0890 said:

I guess you lack knowledge of how thing happen in "real" world, on this planet of ours. Especially in terms with insanity and following orders. Maybe one day, then.

Classic "run away" argument. But I will stop here too, it feels like arguing with you would be pointless anyway.
Jun 2, 2019 3:06 AM

Oct 2009
This was honestly so..mediocre.
I don:t even get the point of this existing, the story is a mess and the characters were so generic and boring..
The whole thing felt like a generic Mech anime not a Gundam movie.
Only thing I enjoyed was the music and seeing Banagher again.

Very average but I am gonna be bias and give it a 7/10.
Jun 2, 2019 3:06 AM
Apr 2016
Seiya0890 said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

Classic "run away" argument. But I will stop here too, it feels like arguing with you would be pointless anyway.

You are the one you need to argue yourself with. Until you overcome that inner wall.
Jun 2, 2019 2:16 PM
May 2019
Gundam Narrative is a missed opportunity. They brought up some interesting stuff explaining new types and the power they displayed. But the movie was badly executed.

Jun 3, 2019 9:05 AM

Aug 2016
Daniel_Naumov said:

I'm sorry to tell you this man, but this is a work of fiction. I know this is one oc the progenitors of "real robot" scifi, and contains a gripping narrative that is more centered around concepts similar to our world (horrors of war, corruption in chains of command etc.) but sci fi stands for science FICTION.

And the job of FICTION isn't to emulate REALITY. Otherwise Gundam would be a documentary.

But to not stray too far from my point here, fiction's job isn't to capture reality, because reality is random as shit. Fiction's job, and drama's job as a whole, is to convey a STORY.

Stories have a point. Reality doesn't have to, or is injected with one from those who have to live through it.

Many people thought Tomino was a mad man for using kid toys to make a anti war message as over the head and straight forward as he did. Every character (with minor exceptions) all served to convey his point. Every conflict served to convey this point. War is chaotic in real life, but in Gundam, it's the illusion of chaos to tell a STORY.
Char's rise to become the Red Comet is Shakesperian in its revenge plot, Amuro talks to spirits of dead people to overcome loss, and most people who get tasked to work on this series ends up following this formula with their own voice inserted.

But the lore, the characters, the setting, NONE OF IT WAS RANDOM. Its just the ILLUSION OF REALITY.

Now, knowing this...WHAT WAS THE POINT OF GUNDAM NT. And more specifically, WHAT WAS THE POINT OF ZOLTAN SPAZZING OUT.

He's a failed clone of Char? Cool, how does that fit into the whole narrative (no pun intended)?

And this is what I dislike as a whole about this movie. Its so fan service first, plot second if at all. You want Unicorn? You got it. You want a throwback to old Gundam characters? You got it. Oh snap, what about the first colony drop? Lets try and find a way to fit that into the movie too!

This movie felt like it wanted to tie everything together, and it just failed...evrywhere.

I don't mind spectacle, Thunderbolt is constant spectacle, but it shouldn't make the entire movie incoherent. Zoltan shooting an entire colony was some cool animation, but was just so jarringly out of place.

Rant over
Jun 3, 2019 9:18 AM

Aug 2016
Rei366 said:

@Somali_Strawhat Everything by Fukui is magically green-lighted. (the guy got to realize his dream of making a Moon² story, even though they allow only a manga) Just imagine him adapting Tomino's novel... (ahahahaha...)
ALso, I think it tried to ride more on the Unicorn "nostalgia" than on the UC nostalgia (that's the mission left to Hathaway)

Oh, I 100% know that much of my hype for Hathaway's Flash comes from UC (and especially Tomino UC) nostalgia. But I think this story in particular can rise above the blatant pandering...hopefully.

But I just finished reading the first chapter of Moon Gundam. I can't believe that he made a manga about some hillarious zany ZZ adventure, and fleshed it out into its own branching story. Like, as if anyone was concerned about the space Aztecs lore lmfao wtf. Goddamn it, how did Fukui get this role? Someone explain it please!
Jun 3, 2019 9:47 AM
Apr 2016
Somali_Strawhat said:

Now, knowing this...WHAT WAS THE POINT OF GUNDAM NT. And more specifically, WHAT WAS THE POINT OF ZOLTAN SPAZZING OUT.

He's a failed clone of Char? Cool, how does that fit into the whole narrative (no pun intended)?

I agree with you on everything right up until (could it be because you merely cited history?) you try to evaluate the "success" oh this particular film. You seem to understand how this series draws and alludes from and to reality and the history of humanity. Which then completely bewilders me: just why you fail to find any meaning behind the abused, artificial maniac going rogue when faced against something he never had a chance to become? Could it be because there is no meaning behind the actions of insane and disgruntled?

The madmen who exist on this planet are mad because they can't see the meaning, they might hear the voices and follow them, or have the urges beyond generic human comprehension, but they stop there. Beyond their madness lies nothing, nothing lies before - just the momentum of insanity itself which drives them towards their fate. Many historical, psychological, probably even personal accounts of insanity amongst people (and animals, even). Why is it then so unacceptable, that the same formula is used for deranged artificial soldiers (which is 2/3 real and still kicking) in this particular film?

There, however, IS a meaning for what Zoltan did - he was not insane, merely in maddening rage and hatred for everything around him: His own self, his life before, the human world that created him and the fact that human world creates those like him. He was not insane, he was vengeful. His every move in the film was a rebellion, a stand against the reality. In being true to his origin he found joy, in being defeated by the Phenex he found harmony and stripped himself from corruption. The same way many villains prefer to go out with a smile, after committing that one heroic act and attempting to redeem themselves. An ongoing philosophical idea that soul is eternal and pure, and is untainted by mortal struggle.

It is true, this Gundam is not a usual Gundam. It delves into the depths of symbolism and philosophy way stronger than the rest of the long-running series. It is different, yes. It retains the themes and overall direction of Gundam, yes. Thus it greatly pains me so many find themselves in aversion to it, rather than embracing... ANOTHER NARRATIVE drums
Daniel_NaumovJun 3, 2019 9:50 AM
Jun 7, 2019 12:55 AM
May 2015
Zoltan is meh.....typical mentally unstable villain with shit for brain
Also feels like Michelle's death can be avoided if only Bannagher show up earlier
Jun 9, 2019 11:17 PM
Jun 2015
llamathrust109 said:
-- THERE ARE SPOILERS IN THIS POST (if you're concerned about spoilers why are you here?) --

Man, they leaned so heavily into the space magic on this one. I just don't know what went wrong here.

Firstly, doesn't the entire premise of the movie cause a lore problem? Newtypes are awakened by life in space, so how did this random earth girl suddenly have a Newtype premonition? If these wonder children saved the town, how did they do that? Who would listen to a little kid saying to evacuate based on a hunch? In 0079 Newtypes aren't really a "thing" people accept as real yet.

Secondly, how many times did they need to show the flashback (flashforward??) at the beach? How many times did we need to hear her say "I dont know if heaven is real but I know souls are real, there's more than just this life" yeah we get it. You don't need to show the same thing repeatedly. It's like they were just padding for time in a movie that was already too long.

The mobile suits themselves; the Phenex was fine I guess, and it makes sense as a third unit to 01 and 02 (how are so many secret suits built???) but the titular Gundam NT barely had any time to be a "character". Nothing that I can remember about its development or where it came from, it armaments aren't really explained, and they they kill it, but not before revealing it has a convenient core fighter for a few seconds. Re-hashing the already kind of ridiculous NewType Destroy thing made me roll my eyes, and after they made such a big deal about how Jonah was unable to control it, then it ... never came up again. The Neo Zeong II was just ... ugh. Why would this even be built? Why would someone pull out some blueprints from 20 years ago of a failed mobile armor and be like, yeah, let's make another one of these?

The best thing about this for me was the callbacks to the earlier series, like seeing Char speaking as seen in Zeta, and seeing a few frames of the Zeta itself. Those parts got me excited, but they were very brief.

Even the action for me was disappointing. I get it that in a post-Unicorn world, we're seeing power creep problems a la most shounen anime (How can Goku keep getting stronger and fighting more powerful foes?) but they need to remember these are huge machines, not ninjas. They often move so fast with so many "special effects" it can be almost impossible to actually follow what's going on in a scene. Then when they show the grunt suits standing around it's almost comical how much nothing they're doing. When you can actually tell what's happening, the animation was, I thought, overall pretty good. I really liked when you could tell things were hand-drawn, though the CGI for me didn't take much away. Aside from the fact that, I guess, they think they can get away with the obnoxiously fast action by using CGI.

One thing I did like that they did was the red herring about having another "things falling on earth" doomsday scenario. As soon as they started talking about it I groaned, they're gonna drop more stuff on earth? But they didn't happen, so it was nice that they showed some restraint.

The first few minutes of this movie really got my hopes up. The return to 0079 and some beautiful animation on the cliff with the birds and everything had my hopes up. Seeing the colony drop reanimated again was nice. But excited as I was about seeing this I was already checking my watch about halfway through. I really wanted this to be good, but man it just was not for me. I really like Gundam when it's more grounded in reality, and this was just NOT that. Not that at all.

So I wonder at this point if they're going to split the UC timeline and go heavy down this space magic path that people seem to like. Otherwise I'm not sure how they're going to reign it back in to line up with Twilight Axis and F91 unless they plan to just retcon them away.

Just wanted to address the Newtypes on Earth thing, wasn't Lalah a newtype from Earth?
Jun 10, 2019 8:58 AM

Mar 2018
Mekno said:

Just wanted to address the Newtypes on Earth thing, wasn't Lalah a newtype from Earth?

IIRC Lalah was from Texas Colony, Side 5 (Loum). Her profile on the gundam wiki shows that Char saved her from an Indian Brothel, but I'm not sure if that's from India the country on earth, or Indian ethnically on Side 5. It's been a while since I watched MSG, but I'm pretty sure she's a spacenoid unless my memory is failing me

https://gundam.fandom.com/wiki/Lalah_Sun
Jun 11, 2019 10:50 AM
Apr 2016
llamathrust109 said:
Mekno said:

IIRC Lalah was from Texas Colony, Side 5 (Loum). Her profile on the gundam wiki shows that Char saved her from an Indian Brothel, but I'm not sure if that's from India the country on earth, or Indian ethnically on Side 5. It's been a while since I watched MSG, but I'm pretty sure she's a spacenoid unless my memory is failing me

I would also like to address that the "space magic" thing might as well end here for a while - at least this heavy representation of it. After all, Phenex took out Neo Zheong II and flew to the borders of the galaxy, for now. There is no one (as per the information we have) who can do the same things as she could (mind synchonization, energy and matter manipulation). I would say it is safe to assume they will not diverge from the common Gundam... narrative as much as they did in this amazing and overwhelming film. Although you also have to agree that, just like everything else, Gundam is suspectible to evolution. Both as a series... and as a machine man I can't stop making puns here this is a perfect entry!
Jun 26, 2019 11:10 PM
Jun 2015
llamathrust109 said:
Mekno said:

What's Gundam The Origin based off of? They seem to portray Lalah and her family to be from India (Earth).
Jun 27, 2019 9:15 AM

Mar 2018
Mekno said:
llamathrust109 said:

What's Gundam The Origin based off of? They seem to portray Lalah and her family to be from India (Earth).

Gundam The Origin's anime is a retelling of the events leading up to 0079, and the manga its based on is also a retelling of 0079 itself. But, that's a good point, I do vaguely remember that but I'll have to rewatch that part of the OVA. The Origin may or may not be canon depending on who you talk to.
owarida6Jun 27, 2019 9:19 AM
Jun 27, 2019 3:41 PM
Apr 2016
llamathrust109 said:
Mekno said:

Gundam The Origin's anime is a retelling of the events leading up to 0079, and the manga its based on is also a retelling of 0079 itself. But, that's a good point, I do vaguely remember that but I'll have to rewatch that part of the OVA. The Origin may or may not be canon depending on who you talk to.

According to several "wikipedia" like sources there are different emphases on certain aspekts during different series. For example, one girl's bloodline in an older series were terrorists, adhering to Muslim religion(s). However, due to the situation of 9/11 the creators from Japan tuned down the connections to Muslims and religious terrorism in their own series. Right now, you can speak as openly as you want (as everyone got used to hating on each other) and several points are made more clear. Or re-invented into a canon.
Aug 1, 2019 3:34 AM

Dec 2012
A girl runs.
Two boys follow.
She grabs them.
Dat colony.
UC 0079.
Dat colony. Yuki and Fang-Li. *sniff*
New Hong Kong. In case you mistook it for New Zealand.
UC 0097.
Oh. Michele is a girl. So one boy and one girl follow.
Miracle Children?
Unicorn.
Jona is 25.
North America, Colorado Mountain Region. In case you mistook it for North Dakota, California Mountain Region.
Jona is inside.
Damn. Got stepped on.
3rd brother? Phenex?
Side 4 Vicinity, Shoal Zone. In case you mistook it for Si
Phenex.
Dat beam.
A Gundam?
Narrative. Roll credits.
Newtype.
Mineva!

It was okay. Nice to see Banagher and Mineva again.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Mar 24, 2020 10:08 AM

Sep 2012
Just finished watching it. The story feels like a fanfiction written by a 15 year old.
Other than that the ost is amazing as usual and the visuals are great.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Hathaway, Thunderbolt, and Narrative to get TV editions (Winter 2023 season)

The_Sum_of_Zero - Jan 15, 2023

0 by The_Sum_of_Zero »»
Jan 15, 2023 12:16 AM

» Banhager? Unicorn and Banshee?

Inorichi - Dec 6, 2018

9 by ShanaFlame »»
May 23, 2022 2:19 AM

» Necklace of Jona?

FateX00 - Sep 24, 2020

0 by FateX00 »»
Sep 24, 2020 9:28 AM

» so... a new entry to the gundam timeline

removed-user - Sep 12, 2018

11 by Rei_III »»
Jul 14, 2020 12:47 AM

» Initial 23-Minute Streaming

LycoReco - Nov 30, 2018

7 by CodeBlazeFate »»
Jun 1, 2019 2:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.