Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 8, 2015 9:32 PM

Feb 2013
Oh I was wrong what I said in the previous episode. It's Koto fault that th world is falling apart. Looks like she'd rather destroy everything than not save it.
Feb 5, 2015 11:06 PM

Jun 2014
HOLY SHITTTTTTTTT
I absolutely LOVE Hammer Koto. Shes probably one of my favorite characters ever. It's not often you get such a strong female character, mentally, physically AND emotionally. Plus shes just freaking AWESOME.
But DAMN they are placing a LOT on her shoulders. And what does she do? With a little motivation from her 'brother' she draws her damn weapon to fight back.
SHES SUCH A GOOD CHARACTER.
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Apr 20, 2015 6:39 AM

Nov 2011
Interesting episode, the narrative can largely explain the mysteries so far so carefully concealed by the plot, as far as I'm pretty satisfied, although I still have doubts. The drawings and animations are good as quality, soundtrack very beautiful; the PV at the end of episode, it seems very interesting.
Feb 13, 2016 9:36 PM
Jul 2018
Wow, shit's getting real. Wonder what the Shrine'll do.
May 5, 2017 1:37 PM

Jun 2013
The events of the episode weren't easy on our favorite tomboy. Her first heroic shutdown caused by guilt, and then soon after, a second shutdown due to a terrifying vision, as she learned her sheer existence puts her mother in grave jeopardy.

Inari wasn't quite clear on why he created Kyoto Beyond the Looking Glass, aka the 13th worldline. Still, based on his words, I can assume that his long tenure as an observer left him very lonely, so it makes sense that he would long for companionship, and a family.

Well, it's not until Myoue II reminds Koto of the idea that she should feel lucky as her parents are still alive. And then, after the double shutdown, we get the crazy payoff, as she threatens to destroy reality as we know it. This makes her the villain from the Shrine's perspective. Still, if she wants to save Kyoto, the family will have to figure out a way to save all the world lines, too.
LeeTailorMay 5, 2017 1:49 PM
Dec 2, 2017 4:40 PM

Sep 2011
I like Koto very much, so it was pretty sad seeing her so sad when it wasn't even her fault :( Inari should have just told her not to search for her mother because that would endanger others, and that's it. She might have not easily accepted it, but at least Inari wouldn't have needed to tell Koto about everything.

So Inari is actually a kami. That's probably the source of his powers and why he could turn into a younger man when he returned (reincarnated?).

I can't wait to see what will happen. I'm quite sure Koto would really go on and destroy other worlds unless the Chief Priest helps :'D Though he probably knew about this place and let it be as long as Koto and Inari would work for them.
RazielZeroDec 2, 2017 4:45 PM
Jul 24, 2019 11:43 AM
Jul 2018
Of course, you could always threaten to end all of existence when things don't go your way, that's always a viable option.

Inari kinda frustrates me but at the same time, he's a genuinely compelling character. I loved the bit where he and Lady Koto were bickering, it was hilarious yet emotional at the same time. Then again that's this whole show in a nutshell

So then why does he stab Hammer Koto in the preview...? Last time I checked stabbing your daughter isn't the way to solve interdimensional conflict o -o
Dec 6, 2020 3:20 PM

Aug 2017
First Shouko had a PSP, now it's a "Game Girl" xD

Wearing two uniforms on top of each other...not that I expected anything less from Koto x) Though I think the black/white dichotomy has some relevance (maybe to Buddhism again)

Koto's standoff with Yakushimaru was amazing and emotional, and the whole episode is just incredible. Yase's commentaries added a bit of comedy. That lady from the Shrine was like "I'm totally innocent :p" at the end of the battle.

I also just appreciate the fact that Inari is supposed to be the kami of tea (among other things), and historical Myoue was not irrelevant to the history of tea in Japan, to say the least. What a nice detail.

Though this show hasn't said it, I believe that when you become an agent of the shrine you really become a "Kami" (humans actually become Kami all the time), and in Japan every Kami has two Komainu protecting their shrine (in the Gingitsune they are called the "heralds" of the Kami, notice how there are supposed to be two). Papa-Myoue 's fox mask indicates that he is the Kami "Inari" (which again is the same god in Gingitsue, and is the Kami with the most shrines in Japan), the other masked shrine agents are other Kami. Interestingly they all were shown sort of isolating Inari, which would make sense in that Inari really isn't a traditional Shinto Kami from the Kojiki or Nihon Shoki (the two main sources of Japanese mythology), as is a bit of an unknown interloper.

The really bizarre thing is that this IS in keeping with Buddhism (and don't forget that Koto is also a Buddha). This world is as much an illusion as the 13th plane, and in order to reach nirvana you literally have to shatter this illusion (as the famous Koan goes: "If you meet the Buddha, kill him" (this Koan is attributed to LInji, the founder of the Rinzai school of Zen, this is interesting because the person who brought the Rinzai school to Japan was the same person who gave Myoue the tea leaves (which I mentioned back in 5.5))) of this world. That is what Koto is doing. The shrine master faulted Inari for forsaking his responsibility and becoming attached to Koto and his family, in Buddhism "attachment" to anything in reality, is the ultimate "sin".

Myoue returned to working for the Shrine, taking the younger Koto with him as part of his deal to prevent Jinja from destroying the 13th plane when it was initially discovered. Koto accepted imprisonment because the Shrine Master made it a requirement for him to leave the 13th plane alone (remember he said that they younger Koto destroyed mama-Koto's monitoring device).

Buddhas think in terms of billions of years, so most likely the time to return the body has not come (or perhaps ever would come because that would be a form of "attachment"). Koto's form wasn't tied to the artificial world, since Myoue created it for her after she was embodied, so there is no reason to think leaving it would have an impact.

That the writer meant most of this stuff is pretty clear in that he actually said that Koto was a syncretic being. Syncretism is what you call the merger of Shito and Buddhism (I explained this back on 5 I think, that for roughly 1,000 years the Kami and Buddhas were considered one thing, it was only from 1867-1872 when there was a systematic attempt to destroy Buddhism in Japan, that the two became separate). Inari and the Kumano Shrines (which I talked about over on RDG)(a bit can be read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumano_shrine) are the best remaining examples of Syncretism in Japan. As Episode 5.5 shows, he knows what he was talking about with both Buddhism and Shinto, so there is meaning behind all things.

I love every bit of these details.

Did Inari stopped being a kami after shattering his fox mask?
St0rmbladeDec 16, 2020 4:43 PM
Jun 22, 2021 8:18 PM

May 2020
The story is interesting but I just don't find Koto to be a compelling character. She just comes of as annoying to me.

Jun 23, 2021 5:06 AM

Jul 2016
TitanInsane said:
The story is interesting but I just don't find Koto to be a compelling character. She just comes of as annoying to me.

They all come across as annoying to me.
Jan 6, 2023 8:26 PM

Apr 2016
Some explanation about the relationship of the mother and the daughter.

The shrine guy's voice was a bit surprising.
Apr 17, 9:31 AM

May 2020
Finally more pacing story, now i know who is Koto. They are family after all, the real baby who born from them are Koto.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kyousou Giga (TV) Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 30, 2013

73 by basskiller »»
May 18, 11:47 PM

Poll: » Kyousou Giga (TV) Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Oct 23, 2013

77 by basskiller »»
May 17, 6:42 PM

Poll: » Kyousou Giga (TV) Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2013

137 by Perrin4869 »»
Apr 29, 12:14 AM

Poll: » Kyousou Giga (TV) Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2013

66 by sharosharo »»
Apr 17, 9:59 AM

Poll: » Kyousou Giga (TV) Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 27, 2013

65 by sharosharo »»
Apr 17, 9:07 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.