Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 13, 2013 5:13 AM

Apr 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hmm, looks like I actually watched the movie version first thinking it was the OVA... turns out the OVA is harder to find now than the movie. Upon comparing with the actual OVA version,

apart from the different lengths, (OVA 28 mins; Movie standalone 30 mins)

were two short scenes in the middle:

These two scenes were absent from the OVA.
If any of you saw these scenes, it's the movie you've actually watched, not the OVA.
Dec 1, 2013 4:21 AM

Feb 2012
SayakaMagica said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hmm, looks like I actually watched the movie version first thinking it was the OVA... turns out the OVA is harder to find now than the movie. Upon comparing with the actual OVA version,

apart from the different lengths, (OVA 28 mins; Movie standalone 30 mins)

were two short scenes in the middle:

These two scenes were absent from the OVA.
If any of you saw these scenes, it's the movie you've actually watched, not the OVA.

Ah, okay.. Good to know. I was watching the movie, thinking it was the OVA.. When I tried looking for the movie, I was wondering why it's exactly the same as the OVA.
You can just be yourself. Do things your own way, one step at a time. You'll get there. Just be yourself, you'll be fine."
~Fruit Basket
Jul 4, 2014 4:23 AM

Oct 2013
lie down, try not to cry, cry a lot
[/quote]
Jun 7, 2015 9:15 AM

Jun 2010
Maybe I'm jaded but I really struggle to care about some guy's doldrums being reinvigorated by a magic loli-sister-maid-mom-wife who tragically dies. Over the course of a summer, no less!. It hits ways too many check boxes.

Except that it skips the actual death which given how telegraphed it is is just fine. Moreover the male lead seems to deal with it fairly well. Keeps it from spewing melodrama and keeping focus on how her presence changed the his life...although I'm not that impressed with that angle.

Also anime robots that eat, sleep, gasp, etc. are a pet peeve of mine. It shows zero attempt at science-fiction, which I guess I can't demand of everything, but it still annoys me.
Oct 26, 2015 2:50 AM

Apr 2012
A good little movie, kinda sad.

Fronzel said:
Maybe I'm jaded but I really struggle to care about some guy's doldrums being reinvigorated by a magic loli-sister-maid-mom-wife who tragically dies. Over the course of a summer, no less!. It hits ways too many check boxes.
Well his family died some time ago (at the very least six months) so the mourning process has been taking place for a while, she's just a trigger. And moreover she can be the trigger because she can be a sister/mother -- and a dying one -- reminding him that death is an inherent part of life, etc, and allowing to overcome his trauma through lighter repetition. All in all it was not badly done: although I understand the lack of subtlety critic, it's a short, you have to keep it to the point.

Except that it skips the actual death which given how telegraphed it is is just fine. Moreover the male lead seems to deal with it fairly well. Keeps it from spewing melodrama and keeping focus on how her presence changed the his life...although I'm not that impressed with that angle.
Well the guy already lost his whole family, you would expect he'd deal with a failing appliance.
Nov 10, 2015 4:42 AM

Jan 2014
The World needs more OVA like this.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 29, 2016 6:11 AM
Jul 2018
Pretty movie and music. I go look ep oav
Apr 19, 2016 5:45 PM

Jan 2016
the fuck! just watched the OVA and this was exactly the same! oh yeah they added two scenes =__=
MAL should change this from "Alternative Version" to "Same Exact Thing".
May 8, 2016 12:38 AM
Jul 2018
This reply is a big spoiler. Be warned.

I already read spoliers about the anime movie before I watched it.
I knew flower was probably going to die even before I started watching it.
I thought I could handle the death of a fictional character like an adult, but I was wrong.
After I watched it, my mind was damaged "hard". It was sad in a bad way.
I wanted the anime to revive flower with ingenuous tricks, and I didn't know her death was going to be terrible and sadistic.
It took 3 days to recover to a degree, and I still feel sad toward flower.

I hate the story writer for sadism. Let me explain how sadistsic her death felt.

When keiichiro found flower, flower didn't remember anything about the life she had before she was abandoned by her previous owner. She didn't even know she was going to die so quick.
She enjoyed her life with keiichiro so much. She wanted to visit the beach with keiichiro during the next year's summer season. She wanted to sing with him. She wanted to live a long life with him. Right when she was about to ask him to sing with her, she collapsed and started dying. She probably died at the beach at night with keiichiro next to her. Flower's headphones hung onto a sun flower, shown at the end of the anime, imply that she died permanently.

The story basically killed flower when keiichiro just started accepting her as a new family member and didn't fully overcome the car accident that killed his entire family.

But, her death wasn't directly described in the anime. Thus, if I was allowed to make a sequel, I would revive her with an old artificial intelligence scientist who visits keiichiro's house to see flower's body and transfers the memory from her body to a brand new body. The mechanic who gave up on flower was simply not good enough.

Although I seem to accuse the story of sloppiness, it was actually good. In just 30 minutes, the story progressed smoothly, and the major characters were developed well. If the anime was longer, it could be sad in a good way or even develop a happy ending.
removed-userMay 8, 2016 1:00 AM
May 22, 2016 11:38 AM

Apr 2009
I don't see any difference with the OVA.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 12, 2016 4:58 AM

Jan 2014
Mh, kinda have to agree with Fronzel up there. Not as good as people make it out to be. If you've seen some of those animated short stories out there (like Tsumiki no Ie, Rain Town, Dareka no Manazashi or Aki no Kanade), this isn't THAT impressing, really. A lot of little problems and... pretty damn predictable, at least for me. I like the whole "the soul of his sister"-theory if that is actually the case, but I can't rate this higher than.. let's say 6/10. Worth the 30 mins, but not deserving of all the praise.
Jan 9, 2019 3:37 AM

Oct 2015
I think Flower died. But at least she got to see the sea and was able to make him get back to music.

What a cute robot, I really am heartbroken of the outcome. 7/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Dec 14, 2021 11:58 PM

Jul 2011
I understand why both the OVA and this Movie have almost exactly the same score.
The two short scenes aren't bad but they don't add much either.
For all intent and purpose, it's pretty much the same as the OVA.

More topics from this board

» Okay, it's been long enough.

LordLagann - Apr 18, 2012

11 by abyss_will »»
Feb 24, 2021 10:21 PM

» Subbss???

orikas - Jul 8, 2011

2 by DraconisMarch »»
Jan 12, 2012 12:00 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.