Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 12, 2012 7:29 PM
Apr 2011
I'm conducting some reasearch and public opinions for a class project. My questions are as followed:

-What language do you watch anime in?

-In your preferred language, do the voice actors matter to you? Meaning, does it matter to you that certain voice actors are in the show?

-Do you watch American Cartoons and if so, can you name and pick out the voice actors who appear in the show?

-Why do you believe that Voice actors in Japan get so much publicity and praise when compared to voice actors in America?

Don't write me any long essay answers just short honest answers. I would prefer you do write them as an open response.
Dec 12, 2012 7:31 PM

Jun 2012
Tomokazu Sugita... Nuff said.

Oh yeah and why does your class automatically assume you watch Anime, but not Cartoons...?
Dec 12, 2012 7:31 PM
Apr 2011
YorozuyaGinSan said:
I do want more than that.
Dec 12, 2012 7:32 PM

Jul 2012
-japanese
-no because i dont understand it anyway
-some and no
-cuz of otaku
Dec 12, 2012 7:35 PM
Apr 2011
YorozuyaGinSan said:

Oh yeah and why does your class automatically assume you watch Anime, but not Cartoons...?

It's for a Japanese Culture Class
Dec 12, 2012 7:40 PM

Oct 2012
Jetman2021 said:

English subtitles
-In your preferred language, do the voice actors matter to you? Meaning, does it matter to you that certain voice actors are in the show?
Nope
-Do you watch American Cartoons and if so, can you name and pick out the voice actors who appear in the show?
Not lately, and no
-Why do you believe that Voice actors in Japan get so much publicity and praise when compared to voice actors in America?
Not exactly sure, maybe because Japan is well-known for its anime and therefore more VA get recognition just as Hollywood actors get attention for big-hit movies in America.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.

Apr 2012
-Japanese
-Yes
-No
-Yes
-Anime is a bigger industry plus they are professionally trained. VAs in Japan are like pop idols while in the west they are nobody
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.

Jun 2012
Jetman2021 said:
It's for a Japanese Culture Class
I guess I should of automatically assumed that...

Well I guess I should answer all of the questions now...

1. Japanese
2. Occasionally yes, as I'll watch anything if I like the Seiyuu' in it but I'm fine with new actors aswell
3. Not in particular, but I've seen some stuff like King of the Hill, the Boondocks, Futurama, Family guy, American dad, etc... And fuck no... I can't pick out a single voice actor.
monty1 said:
-cuz of otaku
Dec 12, 2012 7:41 PM

Nov 2010
-Japanese

-I don't care which VAs are in the show, it only bothers me when the VA's voice doesn't fit with the character.

-Used to watch alot, not anymore besides the random family guy, spongebob, or south park episode. I can't pick out any because they all sound the same, though I believe the voice of the Marklar kid from Dexter's laboratory is the same as a kid from the movie The Polar Express.

-Because they sound more unique, and don't always make their voice sound shitty and high pitched trying to be a teenager. And you can believe when someone is playing an older person compared to most times in cartoons where it sounds like a 20 year old doing a crappy impression.

And I assume we are talking about anime dubbing, because I like almost all cartoon voice actors.
Dec 12, 2012 7:47 PM
Jul 2012
I watch stuff in French.

I only watch New Zealand shows.

That is all.
Dec 12, 2012 7:47 PM
Apr 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
And I assume we are talking about anime dubbing, because I like almost all cartoon voice actors.

We actually are not, I'm actually concerned about voice acting in general.
Dec 12, 2012 7:50 PM

Feb 2005
- Jap
- Nope, usually have the sound off anyways.
- Not usually, the last one I recalled was Mallory Archer in Archer, and then only because I'd already seen Arrested Development.
- Obviously because anime is a much bigger and generally popular industry than the cartoons are in merrika.
Dec 12, 2012 7:55 PM

Dec 2009
- mainly japanese (with english subtitle)

- yeah they do. I'd rather watch a show with my favorite VAs in it than with the ones I don't like, but if there're some I don't know yet, it's also likely that I watch it (other factors beside VAs are also important though). To be more accurate, VAs alone don't decide whether I watch an anime, but they matter.

- not many and if I do, then in my language (german). There, I can't name any VA. (but mostly because they don't interest me in the sliqhtest)

- because they are good, talented and original. I don't know of english VA, but in germany, there are only a handful good VA and they are very recognizable. That way they will appear everywhere and they always sound the same. If germans dub anime, it is sure to become shit.
Dec 12, 2012 8:07 PM

Nov 2010
Jetman2021 said:
IntroverTurtle said:

We actually are not, I'm actually concerned about voice acting in general.
Oh then I don't know, I think they are held in higher regard because their roles are more serious. Cartoons are usually comedy, and the VA's who do english anime dubbing sound horrible, but I do like the VA's who do cartoons.
Dec 12, 2012 8:17 PM

Jun 2011
Jetman2021 said:

Both English and Japanese, mainly Japanese though.

Jetman2021 said:

Not really, but I think some do a better job than others in certain roles.

Jetman2021 said:

Yes, and yes.

Jetman2021 said:

Because Japanese otaku are weird and worship them for some reason.
Dec 12, 2012 8:24 PM

Aug 2012
-Japanese, with english subtitles.

-While there are a few who i like, I don't watch or not watch a show because of VA. it's simply just a plus if some i like is involved.

-don't watch american cartoon, aside from pixar movies.

-Animation there is just more popular then it is here.
"Reality can really bum you out" - Ash Ketchum
Dec 12, 2012 8:25 PM

Oct 2011
-japanese
-yes. in fact, i watched quite a lot of shows just for the voice actors
-i don't watch them
-anime is more popular in japan compared to cartoons in other countries i guess...

まったく、小学生は最高だぜ!!
Dec 12, 2012 8:29 PM

Jun 2012
-What language do you watch anime in?:
Japanese

-In your preferred language, do the voice actors matter to you? Meaning, does it matter to you that certain voice actors are in the show?:
Sometimes, but there are only a handful that would sway me to watch a show.

-Do you watch American Cartoons and if so, can you name and pick out the voice actors who appear in the show?:
I haven't in quite some time.

-Why do you believe that Voice actors in Japan get so much publicity and praise when compared to voice actors in America?:
From what I've heard, voice acting in Japan is taken very seriously (with schooling for it and such) whereas in America it's seen a "might as well try out" type of thing, so I imagine it would have something to do with that.
Dec 12, 2012 8:36 PM

Nov 2009
- Japanese
- Yes, I will often times for a new season check the voice actors in a show, often times voice actors appearing in an anime can tell you how much faith the studio has put in the series (similar to movies, if a movie is full of c-listers or lower... chances are its going to be something like dino croc...), Also just have my favorites and might be convinced to watch a series because one of them is in it, especially Tomokazu Sugita (voice actor for Gintoki) ...
- Do Family Guy / South Park / Futurama / Archer / etc. count as cartoons? Cause if so yeah, and could probably recognize the actors just due to having seen the credits so many times, otherwise no, I don't watch American Cartoons. (easy to pick out Mila Kunis from family guy since she is in a shit ton of movies ... as well as Jackie in That 70's show)
- Anime is a large industry in Japan, furthermore their film industry isn't as large so many idols will come from the anime industry or music industry, Also many Japanese Voice Actresses are treated as Idols and do more than just voice acting but also live concerts, photo shoots and other publicity stunts that you would never find of American Voice actors, the competition is much larger in Japan as well producing more talented voice actors and more hype surrounding the successful ones... Basically their is an extremely long list between the differences between them, if you need to do research just research Seiyuus in general, try looking at Kugimiya Rie, I believe she has a giant fan base in Japan.
Pirating_NinjaDec 12, 2012 8:40 PM
Dec 12, 2012 8:43 PM

Jan 2008
-I watch in both English and Japanese audio. My preferred is Japanese.

-Not really, usually only if it's using someone who I enjoy hearing playing the role they are, then I will enjoy it more, but it isn't required, it just adds more enjoyment to that already being enjoyed.. Same applies in reverse towards disliking, though that usually only applies to English dub.

-Rarely to ever anymore. I never browse the TV, if I'm using the TV, it's either to play games or watch anime on Crunchyroll (Ps3).

-As everyone else has said, Japan, anime, more popular.
Dec 12, 2012 8:45 PM

Jun 2007
Japanese

No

No

They [American VA] make everything sound awkward and out of character.
Dec 12, 2012 9:21 PM

Jan 2012
I usually watch anime in Japanese, but I sometimes watch Ghibli films in English.

I'll watch anything my favorite voice actress is in no matter how crappy the show is, but other than that, I don't care about who the voice actors are.

I watch American cartoons. Tara Strong and Tom Kenny have done a lot of admirable work.

Voice actors get more publicity in Japan because the nature of the industry is more sexualized than in Western nations. Much like how a requirement for success as a mainstream pop stars here is being exceptionally attractive, Japanese voice actors who specialize in playing bishounen or moe girl roles are expected to look as good as their characters. The hardcore otaku go crazy for a pretty girl with a pretty voice.
Dec 12, 2012 9:48 PM

Dec 2011
1) Japanese.

2) Two different things, I'll go with the second one. Certain voice actors might make me check out a show I wouldn't normally bother with. I'd say that counts as a 'yes'.

3) No. Can't pick them out either.

4) Those Chinese really like their toons.
Dec 12, 2012 11:11 PM

Oct 2008
1) Either audio track is fine depending on what's available or if I'm in the mood. If it's on TV in english or on DVD, I'll watch it in english. If it's available legally on internet, I usually watch it in Japanese.

2) Nope. Doesn't really matter to me.

3) Yes, and depending on the actor and if I've heard of him or her in enough shows to recognize how they sound. Voice actors like Tara Strong, John Dimaggio, Greg Cipes and Kevin Michael Richardson are prime examples.

4) I would assume voice actors in Japan get celebrity treatment in terms of a bunch of them also being idols also being singers and having their singles released and what-not. For various voice actors that do dubs in America based on stories I hear from much of them, there's a general barrier between voice acting for dubs and animated TV shows and then acting for anything Hollywood. From what I understand from various voice actors, it's as if there are somewhat different communities associating with Hollywood actors who are usually celebrities and voice actors who do TV work or anime, audio books, commercial voice overs and attend conventions in between.
Dec 13, 2012 5:11 AM
May 2009

Cantonese, is Pref, Then Japanese, Then English.

They do. Since you want the right voice.

Yes Seth Mcfarlene. Thats it Plus Trey and Matt

Well its ususally because they take on different roles. Plus they also do public performances, some are good looking, stylish and also some can be considered super stars. So the whole Acting, Singing etc etc all in one person.
Dec 13, 2012 7:15 AM

Apr 2012
I feel like a poser because I like to look for a dub if there is one. But that's just because it feels like the episodes last forever if I have to pay attention to the subtitles the entire time. If I want to watch a show enough and there's no dub, I don't mind watching in Japanese.

The voice actors do matter a bit. As long as everyone's not Steve Blum I'm okay, though.

Yeah, I watch a ton of American cartoons, but I can't tell you 90+% of the voice actors.

Because animation is a lot more prevalent in Japan and they put a lot more work into it.
Dec 13, 2012 8:18 AM

Feb 2012
1. Only in Japanese. I'm not a native English speaker so watching anime in English would be only a bother, although I understand spoken English just fine.
2. Well, it's always good if I hear my favourite seiyuus in an anime, it makes me enjoy it even more.
3. I watch some of them but the voice acting is not that important for me.
4. I think it's because anime is a big phenomenom in Japan, unlike american cartoons. You can see all the seiyuus events and character songs etc. A lot of Japanese seiyuus are also singers, so they have a lot of fans.
The only thing you can rely on is that you can't rely on anything.
Dec 13, 2012 8:56 AM

Jan 2012
I watch many Japanese anime for which there are no English versions.
If there is an English version available, I get a Dual Audio version and compare the Japanese and English audio tracks myself in order to decide on a per-anime basis which is better. Some of them I've ended up watching it in Japanese and some of them in English.

So... to answer your questions:
Whichever is better (in my opinion) for that specific show.

No. I don't care who the voice actors are, only how well they are able to represent their character's personality.

No, not any more. I used to, but anime is just much better. I don't know the names of any voice actors.

*Anime/Cartoons are more popular in Japan.
*Many of them can sing well also and often sing the OPs EDs and character songs.
*They receive more publicity in Japan (intentionally) from advertising.

NyaaDec 13, 2012 9:05 AM
Dec 22, 2012 7:49 AM

Nov 2007
- Mostly Japanese, and whatever is available on TV that I can understand.

- Yes, I do hope that my fav. seiyuus are in the anime, and no, I sometimes watch the anime because I liked manga.

- I used to, Since I don't watch that many, I cannot name any American voice actors.

- Japan sub-cultures, especially anime cultures, are known to the world.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Dec 22, 2012 7:59 AM

Oct 2010
-Japanese or the "original audio is the one i prefer for anime

-The voice actors really matter for me, sometaimes i just watch an anime just because that actor or actress is the main charecter or secundary character voice

-i used to watch them when i was little, not anymore

-i think that american actores work good as well...i really enjoyed "afro samurai"'s voice, it was by "samuel jackson"
Dec 22, 2012 8:06 AM

Oct 2012
>Japanase
>Not really though i do grow accustom to certain voice actors i dont see its important in the overall picture the only thing i care about is usually if the voice used by the VA of which most times is fine unless when i watch DUB suits the character's essence at hand.
>Yes.
>Japan's voice acting medium is completely different to that of the west with the obsessive fan market producers are forced to pump show after show after show leading to overall high economic gains this also affects the overall job of VA's in many ways typically securing the overall finical situation of the actors (Meaning more work, higher yields, people care) while within the west voice acting is rather distorted and away from the public eye seeing as the animation cliche being that its only designed around the big three being black comedy, children's cartoons and super heroes shows adults alike have been forced to with stand their bias degrading potential VA's chances of finding work.

Basically saying that the western voice acting industry is completely different to that of the Japanese, while skill and ability is weighed down to popularity/ experience and over-all profitability.
Why you didn't listen, don't you want to live a real life, a life not centred around false hopes and disappointments? "Grow up", move on, you are not a kid any-more, its time to be someone. Apathy is death, worse than death.
~Self-promoting summary of EoE~

Dec 22, 2012 8:09 AM
Oct 2012
- English and Japanese, mostly prefer English dubs

- Not really, fine with anyone so long as the voice matches the character.

- Yeah, although I can never tell who the voice actors are until I've read the credits. Some voice actors have quite a lot of different voices

- Probably because anime is made by the Japanese
Dec 22, 2012 8:25 AM

Aug 2012
Jetman2021 said:

Japanese, but with English subtitles.

Jetman2021 said:

Nope

Jetman2021 said:

If watching dreamworks films count, then yes and for the second part of the question: no.

Jetman2021 said:
--Why do you believe that Voice actors in Japan get so much publicity and praise when compared to voice actors in America?.

Tavor said:
Japan is well-known for its anime and therefore more VA get recognition just as Hollywood actors get attention for big-hit movies in America.
Dec 22, 2012 8:57 AM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
Japanese. I think watching/reading something in their original language is the best cause dub or translations for books rarely get the exact point across with the same feeling. Plus I believe that in anime's case, japanese is mostly better than english or some other language.

Not really except my favorite one, Kamiya Hiroshi. I just can't resist watching something when he's the voice of someone in it. But other than that, it doesn't matter. At most I could get surprised they are using "big names" for projects that are either dubious or not welcome enough by the public.

Not currently but if so happens to find something I like yes. I do have plans to start a certain cartoon series at some point. Also, no. I haven't bothered looking up VA names. I can sometimes recognize a voice but don't know their name.

VA in Japan are some kind of idols. Sometimes they will move with their career on the next phase as well. It's not extremely surprising to see a VA in Japan become a singer or something of the sort. With anime being so popular, it's only fair that the ones giving voice to it are popular as well. Just as the actors of the west.
Dec 22, 2012 9:43 AM

Aug 2012
- Japanese with fr subtitles

- Yes and no. I won't watch a show according to the voice acting, but I'm happy when a seiyuu I like is in the show.

- No

- Voice acting has a big importance there, since anime are a big industry. So they need good voice actors. And as they're good voice actors, they're more popular than the other one that aren't as talented and trained.
Dec 22, 2012 11:00 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
-What language do you watch anime in? Japanese with english or spanish subs.

-In your preferred language, do the voice actors matter to you? Meaning, does it matter to you that certain voice actors are in the show? No.

-Do you watch American Cartoons and if so, can you name and pick out the voice actors who appear in the show? I don't.

-Why do you believe that Voice actors in Japan get so much publicity and praise when compared to voice actors in America? Cause anime is taken more seriously and it's bigger industry than american cartoons. Though VA's from 90's anime got and still get a lot of praise.

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
Dec 22, 2012 11:09 AM

Dec 2011
Japanese mostly.

Not really.

Sometimes and depends how well I recognize them.

It seems like Japan cares about anime more while America cares about reality TV.
Dec 22, 2012 11:26 AM

Dec 2009
Jp mostly, or the original language that I can understand.

Voice acting is quite special in Jp and it's a kind of entertainment with Voice only. You know, they also make drama CDs apart from songs, and some with visual novels and games. But not all famous voice actors are good in every single show, character mismatch happens, which is decided by the director or the team.

I watch other anime sometimes, much less often so I rarely know the VA's names.

There are different types of seiyuus in Japan. Some are highly talented and have experience of acting since childhood, so they act wonderfully well at a very young age and they continue to improve over time.

Another factor is that the seiyuu business is highly organized. VAs' training are quite specialized, their training start from as early as middle/high school (outside their regular school time). After graduation, the top ones are signed by different managing companies. After that the VAs become a part of the team. Behind them are a number of people who help to plan and schedule. As mentioned, they work more than just acting in anime or singing songs. Some work as radio hosts too. And they have their own magazines. All help to promote popularity and then a positive feedback from fans will make them even more famous.

On the other hand, if VAs lose contract with their manager companies, they will experience a significant drop in job opportunities.

Of course, there are some exceptions too.
bottleDec 22, 2012 11:30 AM
Dec 22, 2012 11:52 AM

Mar 2011
- I prefer to watch anime in English.
- A cast of completely unknown voice actors doesn't really bother me, but I'd like there to be a few of my favorites such as: Todd Haberkorn, Liam O'Brien, Crispin Freeman, Johnny Yong Bosch, Monica Rial, Stephanie Young, Chris Patton, Jason Liebrecht or Patrick Seitz.
If only John Hurt did anime..
- I don't watch American cartoons. I did watch some French ones such as Dragon Hunters etc.
- Anime is hugely popular in Japan so it makes sense for the voices of characters to get publicity as well.
Mr. Wonsworth, you may NOT eat my scones!
Dec 22, 2012 1:21 PM

Aug 2009

I prefer English dubbed. But I will watch English subbed if there is no dubs made, the season is only partially dubbed,can't get my hands on a dub or if the English audio is just stuck on top of the Japanese audio.

Not really.I have my favorite voice actors but I am not going to watch a anime just because my favorite voice actor or actress is in it.

Yes I watch American cartoons. I love cartoons regardless if they come from Japan,China,Korea, US,Canada,France, Serbia or some other country.Yes I could pick out the voice actors who appear in the show.

I don't think they do. Weeaboos just happen to be pretty vocal compared to normal anime fans.
Dec 22, 2012 2:24 PM
Dec 2012
--Japanese partly b/c voice acting of Japanee voice actors is better and partly b/c English dub is not available in most of anime series.

--Yes and no. In some cases, yes. For instance, if ever you hear Miki Itou (e.g. Sachiko Ogasawara from Maria-sama ga Miteru, and Miyo Takano from Higurashi no Naku Koro ni), Mamiko Noto (e.g. Shimako Toudou from Maria-sama ga Miteru) or Ayana Taketatsu (eg Koneko Toujou from Highschool DxD), probablly you will not forget them b/c their voices are so appealing and unique. But at the same time, it makes me confused when they they play opposite type characters (e.g. cold-hearted vs warm-hearted). I mean...since I had been used to Sachiko, sweet character, I felt a feeling of strangeness toward Miyo, cold-hearted character, and could not fully get hooked on the story when M. Itou played these roles. Also, I feel as if Koneko of Highschool DD appeared on every anime b/c I hear her unique voice on lots of anime series.

--No

--Because Japanese voice actors do the better job than American ones overall. It's interesting to me. American actors do the better voice acting in live-action films (cf. Japanese original Shall We Dance and its American adaptation), but it reverses when it comes to voice acting in anime. Fundamentally Japanese sounds flat or monotonous compared to American/English. Nevertheless American voice actors with a few exceptions are not so emotional nor dramatic as japanese ones in anime. I guess it's because voice actors of Japan are well-trained in voice acting schools.

More topics from this board

» What sort of education did you get? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Dec 23, 2019

60 by ProtoSelf »»
33 minutes ago

» Blaming Japanese media for their low birth rate is simply untrue

ABigChungus - Jan 14

41 by Pengawas »»
55 minutes ago

» My concerns about the future of Japan.

9765 - Jun 6

34 by Zarutaku »»
1 hour ago

» What anime or anime episodes give you a nostalgic summer feeling?

heyaheya - Jun 6

14 by Mayahuel »»
2 hours ago

» why spelling of english language is so hard? its the only language that has spelling competition?

deg - Jun 7

29 by ryan77999 »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.