Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 12, 2010 11:28 PM

Jul 2008
ace's backstory, boring need action now!
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Aug 13, 2010 6:24 AM

Apr 2008
how exciting xD sadly they dont have next preview

Aug 13, 2010 7:06 AM

Apr 2010
wew.....

when will we know what bounty of
ACE?
Aug 13, 2010 9:19 AM
Nov 2009
Dramon said:
KaaN10 said:
Oh and Shanks had 2 arms in the flashback lol

THIS.
Man I really hate what they're doing with the character designs.The make Luffy look like a kid.

The flashback was really well done,didnt waste time like they did in the previous one's.
And Whitebeard is epic but his laugh sounds so lame.
One Piece is getting exciting again....

P.S
Is no one here surprised at that 20 month pregnancy???

haha...its an anime...anything can happen ;)
Aug 13, 2010 5:16 PM

Jan 2009
Whitebeard breaks timespace to cause seaquakes? I'm sold.
Aug 13, 2010 7:37 PM

Aug 2008
kevin_video said:
flame_master_14 said:
Cracked....The frigging...air... Whitebeard is my new god.

Yup. He ate the earthquake fruit.

It was the Quake Quake Fruit to be precise.
Aug 15, 2010 1:01 AM
Aug 2009
It was a nice episode, not quite good in my opinion but it's good.
Things are getting good.
Aug 17, 2010 6:01 PM

Apr 2010
Psajdak said:
Veethorn said:
IOh and if you noticed there's a woman in the commanders... I wanna see her in action as well, she's beast!:P
I believe you were talking about Izou, but he's a guy. I too thought she's a woman, I think.
http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Izou

Haruta is the only woman among commanders.
http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Haruta

That's quite surprising.
When I saw them I thought the exact opposite - that Izou is a woman and Haruta is a man.
They both look really cool :3
Sep 30, 2010 6:54 AM

Oct 2008
Spade pirates. What a pun.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Jun 26, 2011 2:17 PM

Jun 2009
Another good episode.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 7, 2011 7:34 PM

May 2010
Haven't been this excited in ages! haha This maybe my favorite arc! :-D Whitebeard is as great a pirate as Roger! haha Have to resist marathoning One Piece haha
One Piece has a knack in giving unique laughter to their main characters.. for me Whitebeards was a bit scary.. maybe his health? haha Also, loved how they do flashbacks on how they met and the young versions of everyone..
This war is going to be epic.. have to savory the moment! :-D
Aug 15, 2011 3:28 PM

Jul 2010
Wow now I re-watched this episode it's kinda rare to see Shanks with 2 arms... but when he sees Ace he almost draws his sword with only 1 arm which would be strange if he had 2... so maybe it just looked like he had 2 because he wore such a think coat? (there's still a sleeve on the coat but who says there's a arm in it?)... Pretty awesome episode btw with Ace's background/story... Damn he could've become a Shichibukai o.o"
Sep 23, 2011 1:15 AM

Feb 2010
That was lame, didn't really explain why he joined the whitebeard pirates. I always thought he had a pretty good reason for that, but in the flashbacks it seemed like he joined them for the lulz.
Feb 5, 2012 9:16 AM

Jan 2012
AAAAACE <3 his assassination attempts made me grin

also i kind of really like whitebeard now, oh no. that means i'm going to get nervous about this war, since old mentor men never make it. then again, nobody ever dies in op.
Nov 24, 2012 12:10 PM

Mar 2010
Ace's journey wasn't that great..

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Feb 2, 2014 2:12 PM

Dec 2012
ACEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
They might not be blood related brothers with Luffy but they act the same way. Both stubborn, naive, hot tempered and ready to do everything for their nakama T_____T Got to love them both....
Beautiful backstory... I love his relationship with Whitebeard... You can tell that they are like family :)
p.s The Whitebeard crew has some very interesting-looking members. They seem so badasses and good nakama.
Apr 3, 2014 11:40 AM

May 2013
Good episode, now let the war begin :)
''We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths. As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are. That's what death is, don't you think?'' - Uchiha Itachi
Oct 8, 2014 4:07 AM

Jan 2014
Flashback was even better than I remember. Must have skipped some of it the first time around.
The choice of 'Ann' for a girl may have some significance as well.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Oct 26, 2014 7:14 AM

Oct 2013
Ace of the spades.

May 26, 2015 4:27 PM

Mar 2014
Blimey. Whitebeard is a bloody beast.
Jun 16, 2015 3:45 AM

Jun 2015
Lmao luffy already knew that, and whitebeard's laugh is kinda weird
Nov 30, 2015 1:40 AM

May 2015
Everybody on the hype train. The war that is going to deceside the era is about to begin
Jul 27, 2016 11:02 PM

Mar 2015
Gotta admire Luffy's straightforwardness sometimes huh
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Sep 12, 2016 10:55 AM

Aug 2013
This buildup's insane, honestly with all this hype it seems like this arc is poised to be the best yet.
Nov 2, 2016 3:44 AM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
flame_master_14 said:
Cracked....The frigging...air... Whitebeard is my new god.

He really is awsome :o

May 9, 2018 9:57 AM

Mar 2017
tf this episode made me so emotional.

I guess the other reason why Ace hates Roger is because he didn't grew up having a father figure therefore making him join the Whitebeard Pirates.

I'm so sad.
Whitebeard is so badass.
Whitebeard pirates
god damn epic.

猫はかわいいです。 (ꈍ ‸ ꈍ)

May 28, 2018 12:06 AM

Oct 2009
Serhiyko said:
If Whitebeard was trying to keep Ace under protection, why did he allow Ace to chase after Blackbeard alone? Even after Shanks asked him not to

So Whitebeard did try to stop Ace... Okay then

Did they really need to execute Ace near the sea btw? Wouldn't it have been safer to do somewhere on land far from any ports?
SerhiykoMay 28, 2018 12:29 AM
Apr 9, 2019 1:18 AM

Jun 2016
One Piece always does backstories pretty darn gosh well... Wow. That was special to see Ace's past like this. From him leaving the 14 year old Luffy and his journey up until we met him in Alabasta. Now we know the majority of both of their lives. I was wondering how the upcoming events would be emotional outside of understanding how Luffy feels and now that we're getting to know Ace better I get it.

Firstly, I was wondering if Luffy even knew about Roger. I suppose Garp must have told Ace or he must have found out another way but Luffy knew when he was 14 at the very least. So, when Ivancov mentioned Dragon and super casually Luffy was like, oh no my dad is Dragon and Ace's is Roger, I laughed ridiculously hard. It's so Luffy to not realize how big of a deal that is and to not think about clarifying this earlier. Ivan has been fighting to save Dragon's boys this whole time and Ace isn't even his son!!! I suppose there's still value in him helping Dragon's boy though.

Now to speak about Ace's backstory, I was shocked to see him trying to take the place of the man he hates as the king of the pirates but I feel like it came from exactly that, hate. As if he wanted to prove he was a better man than the one who damned his mom and his bloodline and cursed him to a life of hiding who he is. I may be wrong but moments like how he wanted to beat Whitebeard and mentioned how, "you were the one who competed with him" as if he's ashamed he cannot follow through with the same feats as Roger makes me think this. Ace's plan honestly reminded me of Teach with the gain notoriety and take down greats to take his late dad's place as the pirate king.

Whitebeard taking him in reminds me of a Griffith & Guts or Mako and Tatsuhiko relationship(Berserk & Shinjuku Swan), where the dominant and powerful one spots a fierce but valuable beast of a man and tries to best him and tame him to be one of his own. He sees the value in him through the ferocity, he shows and thinks it's worth it to take them in as his own and protect them. It really convinced me why Ace admires Whitebeard so much too. Whitebeard told him a line like it was a simple truth, he told Ace "You act like [your bloodline] is a big deal, no matter who your father is we are all children of this sea". In this singular and simple line Whitebeard told Ace that he is valid as an individual. That the bloodline that the government thinks is such a big deal they would slaughter everyone connected to it and start a war because of it doesn't define him. This is especially meaningful because Roger was explicitly Whitebeard's enemy and Whitebeard was willing to take in the son of an enemy who bested him. If anyone should feel spite over blood it should be him, but he accepted Ace with loving arms as one of his children. I think that is one of the greatest things someone could do for Ace and in that moment I understood his conviction held for Whitebeard. If I'm right about all of this then it's quite poetic that in that moment he decided to stop feeling like he needed to beat the father who cursed him to his fate at his own game and instead fight for someone else to take that place and find a new identity, one he chose and one that wasn't thrust on him.

The Whitebeard crew does feel like a family, an otherwise hated group that's been given a place to belong. Thatch and Marco seemed like big brothers to Ace. Further, Whitebeard has a fishman commander and has fought for fishmen showing he is a great force of compassion in the world. So, to see an otherwise happy Teach eating cherry pies with Ace like he was introduced doing with Luffy is a nice twist. I wonder if Teach thought the Mock Town pies were awful because they didn't live up to the Whitebeard crews pies, maybe Thatch's since he did wear what looked like a chef outfit. Notably Teach was happy with Ace climbing the ranks as a new guy and stated he didn't mind as he has 'no such ambition' which may be contrasted with his acts later in the episode as well as his presence in the anime otherwise. He did say that he joined the crew to get the devil fruit he needed to become the king of the pirates so I suppose his life with the crew before that was purely an act or maybe it's more likely that he did enjoy his life there and, like he's said, his ambition wasn't with the crew because his ambition laid elsewhere which would support why once he saw the devil fruit in Thatch's hands that he had to kill him.

To tie this back to the way we met Ace to begin with is pretty beautiful. Teach kills Thatch and thus Ace storms off angrily to get revenge for Teach killing a family member. The rest is history. We saw it ourselves. Marineford is awesome, the storyline and the characters are coming to a climax now and everything is becoming clear. This episode had so much going on, it was great.

Two things I'm interested in for the upcoming war are the initial attacks, I wonder if Whitebeard will use haki to take out all the weaklings. And, I'm curious to see Luffy's reaction to Kuma and Kizaru again.
Aug 24, 2020 2:33 PM

May 2020
Luffy just casually says that Gol D. Roger is Ace's real dad???

Also is Ace's mom really dead if Luffy and him share the same mother? Maybe they just say that because they were raised together.
Aug 31, 2020 8:41 AM

May 2016
It was surprising to me that Ace's love and unbreakable loyalty towards Whitebeard weren't developed overnight after all and finally seeing Ace's perspective from when he started his journey to be the Pirate King was so damn satisfying since it felt like the pieces are all coming together. It's chilling that Whitebeard actually had a gut feeling that things would go very wrong if he allows Ace to come after Blackbeard since we know how well that ended up going.

The war's about to begin and I hope that it wouldn't be too hard for Luffy and pals to stand out with so many big fish in the sea coming together for this event.

May 30, 2021 1:25 AM

Jun 2019
Ace and the Whitebeard's past. Good to see that.
Jul 9, 2021 7:55 AM

Dec 2012
WHITEBEARD IS SO STRONG

Aug 28, 2022 10:48 PM

Apr 2018
I lowkey like Whitebeard now :O
Sep 9, 2022 6:28 AM

Apr 2020
Nice Whitebeard. (:
Be yourself, no matter what they say.
Mar 14, 2023 2:39 AM
Jun 2022
whitebeard such a goat rip that man thatch 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭💔💔💔💔💔
May 17, 2023 9:47 AM
May 2019
GOD white beard so epic sauce
Jun 19, 2023 12:06 AM
Oct 2019
Bruhh Whitebeard did what???

Finally Ace and Whitebeard backstory we waiting for.

Idk why everytime i hear Shanks voice, it makes me happy. 😁
Jul 9, 2023 11:48 AM
Jul 2018
I’ve always been curious about Ace’s adventure, I thought I’d be annoyed with the flashback but I ended up thoroughly enjoying it.

I learnt some interesting things from that flashback. I was surprised to see Black Beard blend so well with the crew, I thought his ulterior motive would make him stick out a little bit. Instead he blended in well patiently waiting for an opportunity that may have never come, no wonder he tells Luffy to believe in his dreams.

Another interesting thing is White Beard shares similar ideologies to Luffy. He cares for his crew mates a lot and didn’t want Ace to go after Black Beard; I’d feel like Luffy would do the same thing. Speaking of which now it’s cleared up why Ace was on a solo mission against someone so dangerous.

Also White Beard’s punch literally cracked the fabric of reality and he always came second to Gold Roger. This makes me want to see a flashback to a White Beard vs Roger fight.
Jan 18, 3:48 AM

Dec 2022
Glad we got to learn more about Ace.

Feb 1, 7:57 AM

Oct 2019
It was nice to learn more about Ace and their bond with Whitebeard >.<
Feb 22, 10:25 PM
Dec 2023
Whitebeard's entrance was awesome. Did he just crack the air? Wow. I wonder whats his devil fruit power, looks insane.
Luffy just casually dropping the fact that he knew Ace was Roger's son.
Ace's flashback was great.
Johan_Liebert01Feb 22, 10:29 PM
May 5, 12:34 AM

Dec 2022
Whitebeard's laugh is perfect man it's little things like that which are making watching this adaptation so satisfying, that and the whole thing is amazing ^_^
May 13, 5:46 AM

Apr 2024
God Ace's backstory is really touching, but it really does feel like it's raising that flag and i don't know if i'm ready.
very sleep deprived
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Why the pacing of the One Piece anime is actually good.

GoatPieceLuffy - Today

18 by N0T3LI_ »»
13 minutes ago

» One Piece Egghead feel likes Oda was inspired by JoJo!

GoatPieceLuffy - Today

10 by GTRaijin »»
2 hours ago

» Toei didn't improve anything after time skip beside the artstyle and animation

Reckless_weeb - Yesterday

48 by Kech_xd »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 921 Discussion ( 1 2 )

alphazero4um - Feb 8, 2020

53 by aliakbar016 »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1106 Discussion

IzanaSolos - May 25

38 by Ridzaxster »»
Today, 5:57 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.