Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 13, 8:36 PM

Apr 2018
A recurring trend in anime where the main character often falls into the category of being bland or generic. Do you find yourself more engaged with anime when the main character is intentionally bland?
Jul 13, 8:36 PM

Feb 2020
"Do you actually prefer having a Bland MC?"

No.
Jul 13, 8:38 PM

Jun 2024
No, but I'd be more engaged with the side characters.

๐“๐“ท๐“ญ ๐“ผ๐“ธ, ๐”€๐“ฎ ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฑ๐“ช๐“ซ๐“ฒ๐“ฝ ๐“ช ๐“ฏ๐“ป๐“ช๐“ฌ๐“ฝ๐“พ๐“ป๐“ฎ๐“ญ ๐”€๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ต๐“ญ
๐“๐”€๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ช๐“ป๐“ป๐“ฒ๐“ฟ๐“ช๐“ต ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“”๐“ต๐“ญ๐“ฎ๐“ท ๐“›๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ญ
๐“ค๐“ท๐“ต๐“ฎ๐“ผ๐“ผ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐“ฌ๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป๐“ผ๐“ฎ, ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ธ๐“พ ๐“ผ๐“ฑ๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ต๐“ญ๐“ผ๐“ฝ ๐“ฝ๐“ช๐“ด๐“ฎ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ฌ๐“ป๐“ธ๐”€๐“ท
Jul 13, 8:38 PM

May 2019
"Do you actually prefer having a Bland MC?"

No.
Jul 13, 8:46 PM
Jul 2018
Yes and no.

Yes, if the side characters are more interesting.

No, if the side characters don't really matter.
Jul 13, 9:09 PM

Jun 2024
Do you actually prefer having a Bland MC!

Non Non! Nope.
Jul 13, 9:42 PM

Mar 2018
No. I feel like the only thing this’d work in is if you had a extreme self insert anime.
Jul 13, 10:35 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
I feel like bland MCs are a very lowkey way for the reader/watcher to self-insert into a story without the story just going full on no-eyes hentai protagonist. That being said, there is a time and place for when it works or not. I think a lot of anime that have these types of MCs don't make it clear if the main character is intentionally just supposed to be a stand in for "you" though. You can usually tell a little if you read the source material though.
However, I do prefer to read a story with an MC that's not just meant to be my stand in, because more often than not, I totally wouldn't react the same way as the main character. "Any reader/watcher would react like this because this is every otaku's fantasy!" Not mine. So I mostly prefer a fleshed out main character with their own story, motivations, and goals rather than a self-insert type.

Funnily enough, I like writing characters that the reader/watcher/player is supposed to kinda put themselves into (usually straight up silent protagonists), but almost every time, I just end up wanting them to have their own thing so much that I end up liking to play around with them the most-- and they come out with a whole fleshed out, nuanced thing. Yet somehow the characters who are supposed to be fleshed out end up being the ones I struggle with. lol

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Jul 14, 1:43 AM

Mar 2022
I think I need some examples?

by bland do you mean like not really there, like Douki-kun
or bland like Mukouda who's sorta by himself and doing the same thing over & over

cause I dont like the former, but I do like the latter

Reality is a prison for the dreamers.โ €โ €โ €โ €
listsโ €โงโ €anime | mangaโ €โ €โ €โ €
challengesโ €โงโ €awc | mrcโ €โ €โ €โ €โ €โ €
Jul 14, 1:46 AM

Oct 2010
I prefer a bland main character that actually does things in comparison to some clown with infinite mana who can only use his skills when the plot demands him to
Jul 14, 1:50 AM

Sep 2016
No, unless their blandness makes them somehow entertaining.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jul 14, 11:12 AM

Jul 2017
I prefer watching good, fun characters no matter what lol. Bland characters are the absolute worst to watch in any medium, it should be straightforward to not just have a strong supporting cast but a strong main too.
Jul 14, 11:34 AM

May 2024
If there is character development sure, being bland for the long run is...something
I'm new!
Jul 14, 11:37 AM

Jul 2023
who needs/ wants a BLAND MC!!! Hilarious topic ๐Ÿ˜‚
Talent is something to nurture, and wisdom is something to hone

Jul 14, 11:40 AM

Jan 2008
Can be extremely bland as long as we don't get harem or fanservice females
Jul 14, 12:13 PM

Sep 2007
Reply to removed-user
Yes and no.

JaaShooUhh said:
Yes and no.

Same here depending on the story/plot and how well done/written the MC is.
Jul 15, 1:49 PM

Jan 2018
as long as he's not allergic to human interaction then i'm good which is the lowest bar seeing how they pump generic stuff these days.
Jul 15, 2:33 PM

Jul 2013
What is wrong with a bland MC? I see nothing wrong with that.
3 hours ago

Mar 2017
If characters are meant to be a perspective on the theme, the main character's perspective is the one that is chosen to be affected by the plot whether or not it changes. A bland protagonist who doesn't engage the plot in a memorable way only lets down the audience, especially if the plot only exists "to happen" to the protagonist. When the outside world and the personal world of the protagonist collide, the protagonist needs to show some sense of proactivity, otherwise it feels like lazy writing and makes it frustrating for the audience.
3 hours ago

Sep 2022
I don't really mind a bland or generic MC.

More topics from this board

» what anime you gave a 10/10 has the biggest score difference in MAL ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Yesterday

90 by Xandbron »»
5 minutes ago

» Y'all want MC with an Actual Sex Drive?

Dragevard - Jan 28, 2023

27 by Gutzdeep42 »»
13 minutes ago

Poll: » is your fave character of "all time - all media" an anime character ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Jul 19

61 by g10r1x »»
23 minutes ago

Poll: » BEST MAPPA ANIME (POLL)

ZXEAN - Yesterday

37 by ZXEAN »»
27 minutes ago

» Would you want an infinite amount of anime to watch?

SupremeGod - Jul 17

41 by alshu »»
34 minutes ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.