Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 15, 8:10 AM

Jul 2021
Books are sort of weird, because you can't exactly take a peek at their art style to guesstimate if they are worth your time like manga, so it's hard to gauge what's worth reading and what's not, and it's quite a big time investment for how small the files are.
Sort of wanted to get some books to read, but it's hard.
Yesterday, 7:41 AM

Jun 2016
First slide of professor's powerpoint presentation where it says which textbook to get.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Yesterday, 1:04 PM
Jan 2016
That's a tough one. Without giving too much of myself away: how about reading the classics?

The Secret Garden
Yesterday, 10:53 PM

Apr 2015
Last time I wanted a recommendation I went and asked the librarian. It's better than endlessly scrolling online and trying to gauge what will make you smarter or what you will enjoy.

Especially if it's a dense topic similar to history. They will guide you to pick a piece in time or books that you can relate to on some level which also peaks your interest and go from there.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
4 hours ago

Jul 2021
Reply to Theo1899
First slide of professor's powerpoint presentation where it says which textbook to get.
@Theo1899 I finished university without buying a single book.
4 hours ago

Jun 2016
Reply to JaniSIr
@Theo1899 I finished university without buying a single book.
@JaniSIr Same. Ok kinda the same. I bought 4 books (Discrete Mathematics and its Applications by Rosen, Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics by Serway and Jewett, The C++ Programming Language by Stroustrup and Computer Organization and Design by Patterson and Hennessy) because they were huge, had hard covers, I knew the authors and I enjoyed the way they were written. Highly recommended.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
3 hours ago

Jul 2021
Reply to Theo1899
@JaniSIr Same. Ok kinda the same. I bought 4 books (Discrete Mathematics and its Applications by Rosen, Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics by Serway and Jewett, The C++ Programming Language by Stroustrup and Computer Organization and Design by Patterson and Hennessy) because they were huge, had hard covers, I knew the authors and I enjoyed the way they were written. Highly recommended.
@Theo1899 I was thinking of stuff for purely entertainment purposes.
Stuff to take my mind off of work, I code all day already.
2 hours ago

Oct 2010
You are absolutely right. It's quite difficult to pick out books when you don't have much experience or a backlog to rely on.

I think a good initial strategy might be to explore what exacly hooks and entertains you in other mediums. Take a look at your favorite anime and movies, and identify what you've enjoyed the most about them. What sort of feelings, ideas and moments stuck with you. From there you can better figure out what genres, settings, or authors are likely to scratch that itch in books.
2 hours ago

Feb 2016
I used to read what my mom bought me or whatever I saw friends reading in school. Now that neither of those is applicable, I choose books using the summary on the back.
その目だれの目?

More topics from this board

» Ryusei Otome GALACTIA

GinIonSui - Jun 14

3 by SubstanceAnime »»
4 hours ago

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7911 by Vampire_Lord »»
4 hours ago

» Niconico

GinIonSui - Jun 17

3 by GinIonSui »»
5 hours ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3535 by JkayW »»
Yesterday, 10:45 PM

» last.fm

Eikonomachia - Mar 8

18 by fatnat1234 »»
Yesterday, 3:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.